38 – Love Triangle
2.7k 7 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I got back, it turned out that Dad and Celes already had dinner. And by dinner, it was pizza.

Which was good, considering Dad was a terrible cook.

...Wait. Was he a terrible cook, or did he only cook terribly when I was there?

...Anyway, dinner was over, and Dad apparently was working late again, so it was just me and Celes.

I grabbed some of the leftover pizza, got ready for bed, and then turned in for the night with Celes.

And then it was morning and time to head back to school.

A typical, uneventful morning. Ren showed up, Celes stuck close to me and then helped Ren fend off the weirdos trying to get close to me.

Peaceful and calm. At least, as peaceful as it could get.

But that changed when we got to the school courtyard.

"You! Muraki-chan!"

Again, that student council president... Disciplinary Committee leader?

The pretty half-Japanese/half-European or American girl that looked like the typical cliche example stood in our way.

The students around us quickly scattered, not wanting to get involved.

'Ooh! Part 2 of the school drama! Neat!'

Glad someone's enjoying the Anime my life has turned into.

'Always, Sennie-poo!'

Celes stepped away from me and frowned. Adjusting her bag, she looked at the girl blocking our path and said, "Do I need to reestablish the hierarchy?"

'Ooh. Confident Celes is cool too!'

I had to agree. Celes was usually meek and cute around me. But seeing her stand tall and look down on that girl...

She was definitely a princess alright.

'I'm jealous! How come you get a cute and sexy princess waifu?'

Because I'm not a degenerate like you are. Now focus. We need to resolve this situation.

I could see some teachers making their way over. And among that group was our math teacher who... looked really pissed for some reason-

Wait. Come to think of it, he kind of looked like the student council president girl...

Ren cleared his throat. "Um. Kimura-san. Not to tell you how to live your life, but-"

"Yeah, I know."

'What Ren said! Go deal with your harem!'

It's not a harem, and stop that.

I shifted my gaze back to Celes.

She and the girl were standing face to face, standing off.

Celes was calm, looking down at the girl with an imperial air. Like an Empress staring down at a peasant.

The girl didn't waver though. She met Celes's gaze straight on and didn't budge.

If this was an anime, I bet sparks would be flying from their eyes.

But even though that didn't happen, I got the sense that fists were going to be swung any second.

Meaning that there'd be another big commotion and Celes would get wrapped up in it.

Which probably meant a disciplinary action and investigation into her background.

...Which meant that her papers might get found out as fake.

Or worse, they'd call Dad. And only god knew how he'd react.

At best, he'd fix everything and just laugh it off. But in the worst case scenario...

I remembered the time I got sent home for beating up a weirdo in primary school that kept sending me letters.

'Wait! What happened! Spill the deets!'

A shiver went up my spine and I shook my head.

Nope. Not having it.

Before the tension snapped, I went up to the girl and let out a bright smile.

Crap, what was her name again...? Her last name was English, right? Something unique too. What was it again... Lovely...? No. Not that. Loveless? Lovelace. That was her last name. Lovelace.

"Lovelace-chan!"

"E-Eh?" The girl blinked and looked at me. "S-Sena-chan?"

I hugged her and said, "I forgot to say hi to you the other day! Sorry about that."

"E-E-Eh?" The girl... Lovelace-chan's face turned red. "S-S-Sena-chan?!"

Celes stepped back, staring at me with a sour look.

'Ooh! Someone's jealous~'

Shut up! Problem-solving!

Behind me, I heard Ren mutter something about me being a man's man.

I ignored it and stepped back, grabbing the girl's hand. "Here. We haven't caught up in a while, have we? How was your break? Oh, and I haven't introduced you two yet, right? This is Celes. She's staying with me and my dad as a transfer student for a while. I know she seems a bit aloof, but she's really a good person, you know?"

Lovelace-chan blinked, her brain clearly frazzled by my words and actions.

Good. Confusion tactic was working. And the teachers in the distance had stopped too, just watching the situation.

"I-It was fine? Um... But Sena-chan-"

"Great!" I glanced back at Celes and made a signal for her to follow.

Celes still looked a bit upset, but she nodded and followed after me.

Ren ditched though. That coward.

But I didn't let that show. Still smiling at the student council president, I put my acting skills on full blast and played up the role of a preppy high school girl to distract her.

'And you know how to do that how, Sennie?'

Watch enough American television and tell me you can't do the same.

'...Fair.'

-VI|IV-

Yui Lovelace was having a very strange day.

Well, when yesterday was factored in, it had been a very strange sequence of days.

First, the cute girl she had a crush on suddenly turned up with a beautiful foreign exchange student clinging to her arm.

Yui had to admit that she got a little jealous. She had been trying to get Sena's attention the entire year and failed, and this exchange student shows up and snags her?

No way.

...But she underestimated Muraki-chan. Not only was she beautiful, but she radiated natural charisma.

It wasn't apparent at the time since she was acting all cutesy with Sena-chan, but the moment that she started beating everyone down, the entire school turned against Yui.

Her supporters, the other members of the Disciplinary Committee... Even the teachers. Everyone.

But she would show them! A girl who popped in out of nowhere like that was bound to have secrets! Especially if she stole Sena away!

It was decided. That morning, Yui got dressed and steeled herself. Even if it meant she was getting thrown out of Zenkai academy, she would at least take that Muraki girl with her.

So then...

"I didn't know our Math teacher was your uncle, Yui-chan!"

...How did it end up like this?

Sena smiled at her and said, "No wonder you're always taking notes! I bet you're good at math too!"

"Y-Yes. It's always come fairly easily too me..."

Yui gave an absentminded response and took a look around.

The rooftop. Lunchtime.

Morning classes had passed by in a blur because of her confusion and shock at Sena-chan suddenly acting so friendly.

The Muraki girl... No. Sena-chan had called her Celes.

Celes puffed her cheeks and said, "I understand it as well, Sen."

Sena looked at Celes and nodded. "Of course you do, Celes. There isn't anything you can't do though."

Celes's eyes widened with that and she blushed, shifting in her seat. "S-Sen..."

"Hah." An exasperated sigh coming from the other person eating lunch with them. Kanryo-san. He took an onigiri out of his bento box and said, "Why am I here again, Kimura-san?"

"Because you're my best friend and you wouldn't leave me to fend for myself again, would you?"

Kanryo-san took a bite from his onigiri. After some thoughtful chewing, he said, "I have to admit. I'm very tempted to. Especially since I'm busy dealing with stuff at home too."

"Oh." Sena frowned and said, "Is Akane causing trouble?"

"No. But she *is* tossing all her duties onto me." Kanryo-san tore off a chunk of his onigiri and angrily chewed. After swallowing, he said, "For someone 'mature and independent', she sure likes letting me take care of everything she's supposed to." He shook his head and looked at Yui. "You know how it is, right Lovelace-san? I bet your uncle makes you help grade tests, doesn't he?"

Yui blinked. "U-Um... Yes? I mean, a little? Uncle Laplace is busy working for a few DAOs, so-"

"Dao?" Sena's eyes sparkled and she looked at Yui. "Your uncle's seeking the truth of existence? How far along is he? Has he broken through to the golden immortal level yet?"

"Th-That... Um..." Yui started to panic.

Those sparkling eyes. That adorable face. The interest and curiosity...

"I believe you might be mistaken, Sen." Celes interrupted and said, "Something like that is impossible in this world."

"Oh." Sena sat back down, deflated. "Right. I suppose that makes sense."

Kanryo chuckled. "Don't tell that to Onee-chan. She might get depressed-"

"Akane-chan?" Sena tilted her head and looked behind Kanryo-san. "What are you doing here?"

"@$@#$@!" Kanryo-san jumped out of his seat and spun around. "Onee-chan! I was just- Wait." He paused and then spun around to glare at Sena. "You bastard!"

"Hey! My parents were married when they had me! ...I think. At least, that's what Dad told me." She paused and said, "...Though he might just be telling that to make me feel better."

"...Didn't Uncle Hajime say that he didn't even find out you were being born until you were almost due? And that it was the result of a one-night stand?"

"..."

Sena pointedly looked away from Kanryo-san and focused on Yui.

Yui had to resist the urge to flinch at the direct eye-contact. Still, she steeled herself and stared back.

"Anyway... I don't think we've ever talked much, Yui-chan. What kinds of things do you like to do? Any hobbies? Recently, I've been watching VTubers. Do you have any interest in them? Oh, and since you're so pretty, do you mind modeling? I've been meaning to practice a bit, and you seem like a good model, so I'd be happy if you could help!"

"Y-Yes?"

"Great! Then let's change numbers. I'll text you a bit and we can hash it out later..."

-VI|IV-

The end of the school day. Class, long dismissed.

While her classmates had all gone home for the day, Yui sat in her chair, staring at her phone. Specifically, at the new contact saved on it as well as the cute photo she let her take.

"...Am I dreaming?"

"Yui."

A sharp and curt male voice. Her uncle Laplace.

Yui flinched and quickly tucked her phone away. She stood up and said, "Y-Yes, Uncle?"

"It's Professor Euclid while on campus, Yui."

"Sorry, Professor Euclid."

The man adjusted his glasses and said, "I have a meeting with a client this evening. Be careful on your way home. And no more causing trouble." He rubbed the bridge of his nose and said, "I already had to do enough explaining last night when you tried assaulting the transfer student. I am busy enough as is, so I would appreciate it if you made my life simple."

"Understood."

"Then I will see you tomorrow. Remember to call me if anything comes up. And if your life is in danger, use lethal force. Japan is desperate to keep me here, so they will sweep it away."

"...Yes."

With another nod, Yui's professor walked off.

She watched him go and then frowned. "...I think I understand what Mom said about her brother being scary..."

Uncle Laplace was smart and responsible. But the way he was so callous about human life...

"Oh great! You're still here, Yui-chan!"

A cheerful and bright voice. A bit tomboyish, but still cute.

Yui flinched and looked over to see Sena standing at the doorway. "S-Sena-chan?! What are you... I mean, didn't you go home? Why are you still here?"

She laughed and said, "Isn't it obvious? I want to hang out a bit with my new friend."

"...Eh?"

-VI|IV-

'This is a bad idea.'

Shut up! You're the one who sent that urgent mission!

'Hey! Don't shoot the messenger!'

[Urgent Mission! <Fake Love>]

Escort Yui Lovelace safely back home and avoid the shadowy kidnappers seeking to use her as leverage against Professor Euclid!

Reward: Yui Lovelace's affection, Professor Euclid's respect, Free 10x Gacha roll

Failure: Death of Yui Lovelace. Dr. Laplace Euclid swears vengeance against Japan. Destruction of Japan's economic and internet infrastructure.

Aaaargh. *Why* is my life like this?!

'On the bright side, we get to see Celes in a ninja suit and take out assasins. Cool, right?'

KYS.

'Kay~! I'll save my first kiss just for you, Sennie!'

Hah...

77