14: Congee and congyoubing
1.6k 3 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Li Xuejian had seen and experienced the ugly nature and cruelty of the people in his previous life and after transmigrating into this world, he had no intention of looking for a relationship and basically didn’t even want to integrate into the village. He just wanted to be left in peace and quiet by himself. 

But suddenly he himself brought the other person into his life. 

Although there were no feelings between him and the ger, and he decided on impulse to marry the boy but this didn’t mean that he wasn’t serious and sincere about it right now or didn’t plan to spend the rest of his life with He Anran. 

And since his wife wanted to sleep with him he should just agree. Li Xuejian would never hurt the other party no matter what, and if he didn’t agree, He Anran would probably be left feeling embarrassed and rejected by him. 

Of course, Li Xuejian ignored the idea of something really happening between them on the wedding night. Having a wife that he wasn’t accustomed to having was already a very strange and new experience for him. 

He Anran’s mind was still in chaos and his thoughts were like a headless fly, hitting walls everywhere without a way out, after asking such a shameful question. When he recovered the only thing that could be heard in a dark room was the sound of a fidgeting figure behind him, a moment later a warm body squeezed in and pressed against his back, and then an arm was placed around his waist. 

He Anran was taken aback and dodged backwards abruptly, but Li Xuejian’s hand pulled him back to earlier position and the low voice rang into his ears: “Sleep.”

Li Xuejian closed his eyes in silence, not moving for a very long time.

After Li Xuejian's breathing had become soft and even, He Anran finally calmed down and slowly relaxed and turned around to face his husband. Only a pair of the apricot eyes were exposed from behind the quilt and they were looking at Li Xuejian in secret, squinting happily, and the ger’s lips also curled up in a delicate smile. 

When Li Xuejian woke up the next morning, the person beside him was still sleeping so he get out of bed without making a noise. The courtyard was still dark and taking advantage of the candlelight in the house, Li Xuejian went to a wooden shed to pick up all the goods brought yesterday, and then moved things into the kitchen. 

In the apocalypse, Li Xuejian didn’t grow up within a food environment where he had been taught to cook by his parents or grandparents but even so, through trial and error he learn everything by himself. 

He glanced at the ingredients on the kitchen counter and decided to make just simple congee1rice porridge and congyoubing2scallion pancake. He scrubbed clean the cooking stove pot, boiled water, and poured the washed rice into it, then he occasionally stirred so that the grains doesn't stick to the bottom.

Li Xuejian cooked the congee until it was thickened and creamy, and of course, added salt to taste.

Then it was time to fry scallion pancake, it was nothing more than unleavened flatbread made from wheat flour which was folded with oil and finely minced scallions.

The secret of making it chewy but still easy to cook was to use both hot boiling water and cold water. Hot boiling water dough was soft when well cooked, while cold water dough was producing a crispy and flaky texture. 

Li Xujian heated up the pot with a large amount of oil and placed there ready to cook congyoubing, then fried it until both sides of it were brownish.

When he was done, there was no clock to read the time, instead, Li Xuejian relied on his instinct and knew that it was not early anymore.

Should he wake up the boy? 

Li Xuejian went to the room and knocked on the door but there was no response. After opening the door, he saw that there was a big lump on the bed. The little guy was curled into a ball. He was sure that the ger was still sleeping soundly.

Li Xuejian slowly got closer.

He Anran’s lashes moved slightly and opened his eyes as he could feel that someone was staring at him, and in fact, there was a pair of black eyes watching him carefully.

For a short while, he was unable to react and was in a daze for a long moment before he could remember that he had married yesterday. 

Suddenly He Anran was startled: “Wh-what time is it?” He looked outside the window and outside the sky was already bright.

He was too excited by the marriage and could not fall asleep for a long time. In one breath, he hurriedly climbed off the bed and approached Li Xuejian: “Husband, you should wa-wake me up early in the mo-morning!” 

Li Xuejian could see the exhaustion on his face and waved his hand: “There was no need for that, let’s eat breakfast first.” 

He Anran followed Li Xuejian out of the room and walked up to the dining table. He took one quick look at his husband and quickly looked back down at the dishes. His expression changed and he nervously asked: “Husband, did you ro-robbed someone?” After all, there was no food at all in the kitchen the evening before.

Li Xuejian saw the boy acting so anxiously and shook his head helplessly, giving He Anran a powerless gaze: “When I supposed had time for it? I was in the county town yesterday and brought everything by myself, just didn’t have time to carry it into the house.” It never occurred to him to imagine he could be accused of stealing it, but either way but he didn’t feel disappointed and explained with patience.

He Anran paused for a second before reacting to what Li Xuejian said and what he believed was the truth. Then, he sat on the stool but still didn’t dare to touch the food like it wasn’t for him to eat. 

Li Xuejian sighed secretly and scooped a bowl of congee for him and then placed there a piece of the scallion pancake: “Here you go.” 

He Anran was stunned: “For m-me?” He didn’t expect that Li Xuejian would personally serve and share breakfast with him. Back in the He family he only got the leftovers to eat so this kind of treatment had been beyond his imagination.

Li Xuejian looked around the room but following his gaze, the boy made a confused expression as he didn’t understand for what the other person was searching there. 

Finally, Li Xuejian glanced at him with a complicated look: “There is no one else besides the two of here.” 

He Anran blinked. It took him a moment to understand the other’s meaning. His eyes turned red. He looked around shyly and also confirmed that there was no one around: “En!” Then he docilely lowered his head and carefully bit a small mouthful of the congee. His cheeks were at once stuffed with food and he was eating like a cute hamster. He gradually forgot about Li Xuejian, who had a strong presence and was sitting next to him.

Li Xuejian cleared his throat after watching him for a few seconds: “Tasty?”

He Anran’s face reddened. It was probably because he noticed that he had indeed ate too fast. He said before slowing down slightly: “It’s the mo-most delicious food I have eaten in m-my entire life!” He was amazed after having a taste. The food cooked by his aunt couldn’t be compared to this. 

The corner of Li Xuejian’s lips rose up, it seemed that his wife could be conquered by his cooking.

Once he confirmed that He Anran had eaten his fill, Li Xuejian ate all the remaining pancake and rice porridge.

Both of them sat together at the table, resting after the meal, and Li Xuejian felt that the current scene was very peaceful, and an unexplainable emotion filled his heart. They get along with each other very calmly. It was so calm at that movement that it seemed as if the time flowed more slowly here compared to the rest of the world. 

It would be nice to spend the rest of their small days living like normal husband and wife. 

27