Chapter 19: I Choose You…
514 8 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone was staring at Brawly, who was standing and pointing towards the Pokémon right in front of him.

        

“R-Ralts?!”

          

The young boy exclaimed in surprise.

         

“Yeah! I like you! Even more than I thought I would!” Brawly told the tiny Feelings Pokémon. “If you would want too, I would love for you to be another one of my Pokémon partners!” He told the Ralts enthusiastically.

He scratched the back of his head before continuing.

“Actually, if I’m honest with you Ralts, there is one more reason I’n interested in you.”

Brawly knelt down in front of the coffee table, to lower himself so that he was more or less not as imposing a figure to the tiny Ralts.

“I have something to show you,” He reached into the pocket of his shorts, and pulled something out and presented it to Ralts. “You see this here? This is called a dawn stone.” He informed the Ralts. “As I just told you a few minutes ago: I’m a fighting type gym leader, I came here, knowing there was a male Ralts like you among your siblings, and I already had my heart set on you.” He told the young boy with a smile.

“I want to be your trainer, because my dream and ambition is to one day have a Gallade on my team. I would like nothing more if I could take you with me and train you into becoming one someday, if that is something you want also.”

Alright! That’s it!

      

Jennifer stood up.

“Listen, Mr. Touki, I’m glad you’re so straight forward with what it is that you want, but I really can’t stand it when people try and force Pokémon to do what ever it is that they want, simply because they’re a trainer.” Jennifer scolded.

Brawly looked up in surprise at the sudden outburst from the girl from Ejapul. 

         

“Jen, hey… listen.” May tried to calm and console her friend.

                

But Brawly held up a hand to forestall May.

“Hey, yeah, me too.” Brawly told Jennifer.

“Huh?”

“I get what you’re saying, but I think you may have jumped the gun a bit.” He told her with a smirk. “I’m not forcing my ideals onto him,” He told her. “I’m just being up front with him, telling him what I had in mind and what I had planned.” He took the dawn stone he had in his hand and put it back in his pocket. “I’m sorry if I came across as someone who would just do that, and force their own ambitions onto Pokémon, without giving it consideration or consulting their Pokémon first: I’m not that kinda guy.” He told her.

Her stood up and faced Jennifer head on, all while he continued to give a charming smile.

“All I was trying to say was, that these were my thoughts and plans, that if he would want too, I would be more than happy if he would share this dream with me.” He looked down at the youngest Ralts sibling. “And I would be honored, Gallade or Gardevoir, if he would be my Pokémon.”

        

Jennifer had to blink in surprise at the total turnabout from what she had first thought of this guy.

      

Wow…. May really did pick out some good people… and I went and assumed…

          

*SIGH*

Jennifer bowed her head.

“I’m sorry for my presumptuous behavior just now. I didn’t mean to insult you by suggesting you were going to force Ralts to become a Gallade, just to satisfy your team.”

Brawly waved Jennifer off.

“Nah! It’s all good!” He told her. “May told us that you were a bit of a Pokémon freedoms fighter.”

“BRAWLY?!” May exclaimed. “I didn’t say that!”

“Huh?” He looked at May confused. “But didn’t you say that she believed that Pokémon were to be free and not kept in Pokémon balls? Or that, she hated battling, because it was a brutish thing to subject Pokémon to fight each other against their will?”

Jennifer slowly turned to look at May, who was now looking away, her ears red with embarrassment at having been caught talking about Jennifer behind her back.

“I—… I just told them a bit about you… so that if they couldn’t handle your requests for what kind of trainers you wanted the Ralts to go to, then they shouldn’t show up…”

Jennifer blinked at what she was told.

“Yeah,” Brawly spoke up. “She didn’t say anything mean about’cha, just told us what you were like, and what you were hoping for these Ralts.” He informed Jennifer.

“But I have to say Mrs. Jen, I think you’re missing the point on something.”

     

Jennifer did a double take at Brawly.

“Excuse me?” She asked him incredulously.

“What I mean is, yeah it’s true. A lot of Pokémon trainers, catch and train Pokémon, just to do battle with them. I get where they’re coming from, but I also understand why you would be against people like that.” He said as he stretched and folded his arms around the back of his head. “But the thing is, Pokémon also enjoy battling with each other: It’s our job as trainers, to help and push our Pokémon to improve themselves, which in turn, allows our Pokémon to grow and evolve.” He explained to Jennifer. “It’s one of the things that is the essence of being a trainer.” He shrugged. “Sure, some people forget that, or never learn it properly. But for the most part, trainers are also the thing that keeps the battles safe, or keeps Pokémon from going to far or hurting themselves. We have a responsibility as trainers, to show, nurture and teach these guys how to be the best Pokémon they can be. Without us, Pokémon may have very well have not survived or just not evolved properly without trainers at all. Having us help them do battle, allows us to help them also become the Pokémon they are meant to be.”

         

          

Jennifer couldn’t help but stare in awe at the man in front of her.

No one has ever explained it like that to me before…. And I thought he was just a meathead surfer…

*COUGH*

Jennifer blinked as she saw the always composed Sabrina cough.

“Excuse me.” She muttered.

              

“…………………….” Was that a smirk?… Did she just read my thought and hear me call him a meathead?! Jennifer panicked.

     

“Anyways,” Brawly continued, unaware of what was transpiring between the psychics. “That is my take on things, and how I view battles. I feel privileged as a trainer, as well as a human, to be able to battle along side and fight with my Pokémon.” He turned his attention back towards the youngest.

“Which is why,” He told Ralts with smile. “I would love to be your trainer? What do you say?!”

      

The tiny Ralts looked back towards his family, who nodded at him. Then he looked back at Jennifer.

“Ralts alts alts?”

      

She blinked at him in surprise.

“I-If that is what you want, then… *GULP* I’m not going to tell any of you what to do, or which person you which to go with. If you like Brawly, the  that is up to you.” She spoke to the boy Ralts casually, forgetting that some people in the room didn’t know she was a psychic.

Ralts smiled at Jennifer before turning back to Brawly.

      

“RALTS!”

He shouted while

Lifting up his mitts into the air.

      

“ALRIGHT!” Brawly fist pumped his arm. He opened his arms wide for the youngest. “Come here my boy!”

“RALTS!” Ralts cheer and ran up, hopping into Brawly’s arms.

      

“Ahahahahahaha! This is so awesome!” He said while holding Ralts up into the air. “I’m going to turn you into the best fighter on my team!”

“Ralts! Alts alt Ralts!”

Brawly reached into his pocket to retrieve the dawn stone again.

“What do you say Ralts? Want to be come a Gallade eventually?” He asked him, holding out hope that he would.

“Ralts!” Ralts cheered positively towards his new trainer. “Ralts alts alts!”

“YYESS!” Brawly cheered.

He then spun Ralts and himself in a circle while cheering.

      

Jennifer watched this scene of a trainer and his newly acquired Pokémon, and felt as if a Poliwag had gotten lodged in her throat.

Her eyes burned as tears threatened to spill out of them.

        

Her heart ached in jealously of the scene before her.

               

“Beautiful right?” May whispered in an emotional voice to her friend sitting next to her.

“………Y-YYeaahaa!” Jennifer croaked. “It really is!…”

Her focus going to the blue haired Ralts, who had yet since looked at her since just after their talk.

              

*BA-THUMP*

           *BA-BUMP*

               

…….Ralts……. She called longingly to her.

She saw Ralts stiffen at her mental call. But otherwise, she didn’t turn around.

Jennifer felt as if she might actually cry now, but for an entirely different reason than before.

                         

                    

But before anything more could be said or done.

The Ralts younger sister stepped forward.

       

She walked up confidently towards a trainer, after watching her brother get and be chosen by a trainer.

So she decided she would just do what she wanted to, and pick the one she wanted to go with.

       

“Ralts alts?” She called out, tugging on the sleeve of her shirt.

“Hmm?” Solidad looked down from Brawly being enthusiastic about his new Ralts, to see a tiny green haired beauty looking up at her. “Yes? Can I help you?”

        

“Ralts alts alts Ra Ralt Ralts.”

                           

Solidad realized she was trying to actually communicate with her, like she should understand what she was say. But since she couldn’t, she just tilted her head at the Ralts.

“Umm…”

The Ralts quickly realized what the issue was, so she looked back towards Jennifer.

“Ralts! Ralts alts alt Ral Ralt alts alt!”

“Umm!…” Jennifer felt put on the spot.

She realized she wasn’t being subtle with her powers, but she didn’t want to just come right out and show she had them either.

Was this something else May told them too?! She panicked.

                      

                  

“She said: “Do you really wish to be a Pokémon Professor.”

        

Everyone looked at Sabrina, who had just translated to everyone what the younger Ralts sister wanted.

“Oh! Okay, thanks Sabrina. I knew you were a psychic, a pretty famous one at that, but I wasn’t aware you could understand what Pokémon were thinking as well.” Solidad Pointed out.

Sabrina harrumphed while fixing her hair.

“Yes, well. I don’t usually do such trivial things, as Pokémon translations for trainers and their Pokémon. But today, I’ll make an exception: also, it is so trivial to do, any true psychic worth their salt, would be able to do so without needing to expend any effort.”

                    

Jennifer wasn’t sure why Sabrina decided to explain what Ralts was saying, but she was glad she was saved from having to speak up and reveal her abilities to strangers.

If anything, Sabrina already figured out I’m psychic and that I’m trying to be subtle about it.

≈Thank you.≈ She sent a message mental towards Sabrina.

Sabrina looked at Jennifer, before giving her a nod.

      

Solidad was busy at this moment, directing her attention down at the Ralts, who had just asked her a question.

“Yes, to answer your question.” She answered Ralts. “I want more than anything, to leave behind a useful discovery, that will help the world one day. So to do that, I plan to become a Pokémon professor, then study Pokémon more closely. I’m hoping to find a link between variants from different regions.”

Ralts looked up at Solidad with an earnest expression of awe and excitement.

“Ralts alt alts alts?!”

       

“Hmph…”

Solidad turned towards Sabrina to for a translation at her chuckle.

“What did she say?”

“She asked: “If I could be your assistant Pokémon.” Sabrina reiterated what The younger sister had asked Solidad.

“Pokémon assistant?”

“Ralts! Ralts Alts alt Alts!”

Sabrina raised an eyebrow at the Ralts’s words.

“Just like Charmeleon is?” Sabrina looked over towards Jennifer. “Does that ring any bells with you?”

“Ah! Yeah, it does.” Jennifer revealed. “My dad has his first very first Pokémon he ever owned at home, she is a Charmeleon, and she helps my dad with research and lab work at home; as well as cleaning and cooking around the house.”

Solidad blinked at the explanation of what the Ralts had in mind for what she wanted.

But while surprised at this Ralts forwardness, she wasn’t one to shy away from a bold Pokémon’s assertiveness.

She looked down at Ralts in her eyes.

“Is that what you want to be Ralts? A lab assistant to a Pokémon Professor?” She asked her.

“RALTS!” She replied excited.

Solidad chuckled, then reached down and picked up Ralts, lifting her up into the air.

“Then I promise you; one day, I’m going to be a Pokémon Professor you’ll be proud of, and you’ll be my faithful assistant!”

“RALTS ALTS!” The younger sister cheered as she and her new trainer hugged each other.

       

Jennifer was besides herself with joy.

She was so glad this was working out, and that everyone was becoming friends and finding a home a trainer to belong to.

       

Jennifer then turned towards the last Pokémon on the coffee table; the last Ralts sibling to not have a trainer.

           

Her shiny.

             

≈…Ralts…≈

               

But she was once again ignored.

Ralts was just standing in the center of the table. Her face down cast as she held her skirt tightly with her mitts.

It looked to Jennifer, that she may have even been trembling a bit.

                      

                                 

“Now then…” Sabrina expressed. “I do believe it is our turn.”

Sabrina then reached into her pocket, pulling out a PokéBall.

      

Hey? What?!

           

The woman enlarged it, before placing it in front of herself on the table.

                    

“I do not feel a strong desire from you to be my Pokémon; almost at all.” Sabrina announced. “But that doesn’t mean I’ll give up without a fight, so I’ll  make you this offer.” She told the shiny variant.

“You’re strong.” She told the Ralts simply. “But you are young and untrained.” She lifted a hand palm up towards Ralts. “If you desire strength and power to become the very best; to unleash your true potential. Than I won’t hesitate to take you and make you my Pokémon: and I promise, that if you decide to come with me, I will turn you into a force to be reckoned with.” She pointed her hand back towards her other Pokémon. “You may ask any of my other Pokémon how I treat them, and you may also ask them what they think of you, and your potential to grow. Which I’ll tell you, is outstanding. One of the best examples of your species I’ve seen.” Sabrina declared.

                         

Jennifer watched nervously as Ralts just stood there, trembling in front of this larger than life professional psychic.

        

What should I do?          

      

……………. Huh?

Jennifer realized that those weren’t her thoughts.

      

*BA-DUMP*

             *BA-THUMP*

          *BA-DUMP*

*BA-THUMP*

          

Should I just accept her?

       

Is this what mistress wants from me? To accept this person?

          

Jennifer wanted to shout and scream to Ralts that she was wrong. But she was also scared to say anything.

           

What is going on? I’ve never… *GULP*… Jennifer thought to herself in panic.

             

Jennifer realized she wasn’t just inside Ralts’s surface thoughts anymore. Which she knew she hadn’t entered Ralts subconscious.

Nor was she invading her memories.

      

This is!… this is deeper! I’m not… inside of Ralts’s mind right now…… Where am I?

        

What should I do?! Ralts’s thoughts and feelings echoed inside Jennifer’s mind once more. Mistress hates me! She hates our connection! Should I leave? Is that what she wants? Does she want me to go with a trainer who lives far away? So that she doesn’t have to see me again?

      

≈No! You’re wrong!≈ Jennifer shouted mentally as loud as she could in this abnormal mental space.

But to her surprise, wherever she was right now mentally inside of Ralts, was a space where even her psychic powers couldn’t penetrate.

         

I’m sorry mistress.

        

≈No Ralts! Please! I’m the one that’s sorry! Please come back!≈ She shouted at Ralts.

Pleading with her Pokémon not to go.

                        

                         

Then, like nothing had happened, Jennifer was still there behind Ralts, as she trembled while clutching her skirt.

            

Jennifer felt like throwing up at that moment.

What am I doing?! What have I?!—

         

But much to her dismay.

Ralts started to walk forwards towards the PokéBall.

             

*BA-DUMP*

             *BA-THUMP*

              

…Please Ralts…

                  

              *BA-THUMP*

*BA-DUMP*

            

……Don’t do this……

          

*BA-DUMP*

           *BA-THUMP*

      

Please!

             

*BA-THUMP*

          

DON’T!

      

*BA-DUMP*

                   

                      

Ralts was now standing directly in front of the PokéBall now.

She raised her mitts up to it, placing her hands on either side of it.

          

             

“R—…………..RALTS!”

                  

                 

         

*PLOP*

                 

             

The ball flew and smacked into Jennifer’s chest.

      

Jennifer panicked. She flailed her hands, as she tried desperately to catch the errant PokéBall that had been thrown by the emotionally unstable Ralts.

        

“Ralts?…” Jennifer called out to her gently.

                           

          

“Why?”

            

              

“Why what?” Jennifer asked her.

                     

                  

“I threw it at you?….. So why won’t you get into the ball?” Ralts asked her.

                   

Jennifer wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry at this situation.

          

“Are you serious?… PokéBalls don’t work like that Ralts… they—… They won’t work on humans… they…— they’re designed to only work on Pokémon DNA…”

       

“Then what am I supposed to do Mistress?!” Ralts complained.

She walked across the table to stand in front of Jennifer.

“What is it that I’m supposed to do to be able to be with you?! Why won’t you let me stay with you? Why do you hate me?”

              

“NO!” Jennifer denied vehemently. “That couldn’t be farther from the truth!”

                                        

“The  why won’t you let me stay here with you? Why are you trying to send me away?! Why is it that I can’t be with you?!”

       

“Ralts…” Jennifer whispered her name gently. “I’m trying to push you away! It’s just that—… *GULP* …—You know why, I’ve said before… I don’t want to be a trainer; to be a person that owns a Pokémon! You guys deserve your freedom, I don’t— *SHAKY INHALE* —I don’t want to be that person that take that away from you.” Jennifer explained. “I also hate Pokémon battles Ralts, I hate seeing you, or any Pokémon get injured: So, that is why I wanted to find someone better than me, so that you could be with someone who would bring out your full potential.”

       

“But mistress,” Ralts said plaintively. “No one is going to be as good as you are for me; no one, not on this whole earth.” Ralts stated with conviction.

        

“But I’ll stunt your growth Ralts! If you— *HIC* —if you don’t go with a regular trainer, I’m not going to be forcing you to do battles… you won’t grow like you should. And I would just be allowing you to stay, just because I don’t want you to leave!”

“That’s not possible…” She declared to Jennifer. “There is no one out there, more amazing, or more caring, or greater than you for me mistress. Not a single person would ever be able to replace you mistress.” Ralts declared to her. “I don’t want to go… I want to stay: so pleased don’t hate me for wanting to stay with you Mistress… I want to be your Pokémon!” Ralts told her.

She walked up and placed her mitts onto Jennifer’s large hand, pressing her face against her knuckles.

                   

                         

“I choose you mistress…”

          

“Ralts…” Jennifer whimpered.

                  

                     

“I choose you…”

               

Jennifer felt like crying.

       

She felt like everything was falling apart.

           

That everything she had ever thought she wanted was collapsing in on itself.

          

That everything was changing; even herself, all to accommodate this one, tiny Pokémon: that she was just beginning to realize, that she couldn’t live without.        

       

“Ralts!…” Jennifer said in a strained voice.

      

She lowered her other hand, so that the PokéBall was next to Ralts.

             

“Ralts… I’m probably going to be the worst possible person to be a trainer for you. If you choose me! You’ll probably always be a Ralts for the rest of your life!” She warned her.

        

Ralts nodded her head.

      

“I’m fine with that mistress… as long as I can be with you… I’m okay with anything else…”

        

“Ralts!” Jennifer cried out. “Please don’t make me do this!” She said with a strained voice and trembling hands as she held the PokéBall towards Ralts.

       

“Then I’ll help you do it mistress.” Ralts told her. “I’ll always be there to help you mistress.”

     

“…Ralts last chance!… Are you sure?…”

             

Ralts nodded her head.

“Ralts.” She told Jennifer in a sure tone.

She then smacked her forehead against the PokéBall.

          

Jennifer watched with wide blurry eyes, as Ralts was deconstructed down into particles of energy, before being absorbed into the PokéBall in her hands.

       

The ball landed back down in Jennifer’s hand, after absorbing Ralts. She watched intently, as the ball wriggled around in her hand.

              

              

It made a sound, as if it was a beat of a drum or possibly of Ralts’s heart. As it wriggled back and forth.

        

*BA-DUMP*

        *BA-DUMP*

           

*BA-DUMP*

                         *BA-DUMP*

                        

                                        *BA-DUMP*

         *BA-DUMP*

                    

              

               

           

*CLICK*

            

*BONG*

                       

Jennifer’s eyes went wide as she recognized the sound of the capture process being complete.

                 

                

Jennifer felt something touch her back.

           

She looked over at her friend, who was looking at her with wide wet eyes.

        

“Co— *HIC* —Congratulations Jen… You just caught your first Pokémon…”

          

Jennifer looked from May, to the other trainers in the room.

      

Each of them, including Sabrina, all had tears in their eyes.

Some more than others.

            

Jennifer looked down at the PokéBall in her hands.

              

That held the Pokémon that’s inside.

           

           

Her Pokémon.

                   

           

At that Jennifer lowered her head towards the PokéBall and wept.

       

For she became the very thing she despised.

           

Yet she couldn’t remember a time, she was so relieved as well.

                           

                       

                           

                                                                

                        

32