Chapter 104
45 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Honey bee, now, am I?” Teased Esmer as they sat by the lake.

“Well, I…” Tried to answer Crassus but found he was lost for words. Esmer was giving him one of her rare smiles, and he didn’t know why, but his heart was beating like a caged bird.

“Well, you are like a teddy bear, Crassus. Sweet and kind.” Said Esmer as she nudged Crassus with her shoulder.

Crassus laughed at the joke and placed an arm around Esmer.

“It is freezing out here.” He said as Esmer moved closer to him. “Just a bit more and you can see the surprise.”

“What is it? A hive of fireflies?” Asked Esmer.

“We have to wait for February for the first fireflies, Esmer. Theanore and Marinus’ are magical.” Said Crassus. He was looking at the sky. Any second now it would happen.

“They are exceptional. Our children.” Said Esmer with a sigh.

“That they are. One, two, and here it is.” A soft green line shone in the sky for a whole minute and then disappeared. “I don’t know what this is, but it is pretty. Don’t you think?”

“That is the sign for Theanore’s dungeon mana reset. Mine is gold.” Said Esmer. “But it is pretty. Just like her. You did good job raising her on your own.”

“I wasn’t alone in that. I had Marinus.” Said Crassus. “Although he worried me in the beginning. He was so attached to Theanore it scared me. But he is a good kid.”

“True that. What is the story behind the ghost aura? And the barrier around the forest?”

“I have no idea about the barrier, but the ghost aura is somewhat tragic. Theanore had a pet fairy. She named it Bellchime.” Said Crassus, remembering the ruckus the two murder muffins made with the fairy. “But the fairy died and left the ghost aura. Tania lied to Theanore that the fairy got to fly to Heaven. As if, it would ever be allowed. Dark creature that it was.”

“Do you think that Theanore and I will be bared from Heaven too, Crassus? Dark creatures that we are?” Asked Esmer. Crassus thought about it and then gave his honest answer.

“I don’t think so, no. You have a good reputation and Theanore is the very poster child of goodness. She even promised me not to become evil. We had a pinky swear too.” Said Crassus, warmth spreading through him at the memory of the promise.

“If she promised then she would not stray.” Said Esmer. She looked at the vast lake before them. “Do you want to skate?”

“Skate?” Crassus has never heard of such a thing.

“Yes. On the ice. Tania, two pairs of skates, please.”

As you are not Theanore, the cost will be double. Spend 200 mana for two pairs of skates? Yes/No?

Esmer clicked the yes and the skates replaced her and Crassus’ shoes. Said shoes were neatly placed on the snow.

“You haven’t skated before?” Asked Esmer and Crassus nodded.

“It is easy. You slide on the ice and keep your balance. Hold on to my hands and don’t let go.” Esmer’s hands were warm in Crassus’ own, and he felt like he could do this. They stood and went to the ice and got on.

Esmer did small steps towards the center of the lake, and Crassus followed her. Then she spun them slowly. Crassus was getting comfortable with this. With a laugh, he moved to the right and Esmer followed.

“You are getting better at this.” She commented and this time it was Crassus who spun them.

“I have a good teacher.” He said. Then he looked down. There were fish swimming in the water below the ice.

“Look down. There is life in there.” Said Crassus and Esmer did so.

“Do you think the lake is connected to the grotto? There are silver longtails in the water.” Asked Esmer. Crassus looked at the never-ending lake and shook his head.

“No, although this place could become a good aquafarm for Marinus.”

“That boy is very eager to expand his territory. I wonder why he hasn’t laid a hand on the lake yet.” Said Esmer. Crassus nodded.

“Maybe it is because Theanore likes it here? I don’t let her come now that it is winter, but before she used to pick flowers here every day. Then she would rope Marinus into making flower crowns with her.” Said Crassus with a smile on his face.

“I remember. They even get you to wear them. We can’t deny them anything, can we?” Asked Esmer. They have stopped moving now and just watched the fish swim underneath the ice.

“They are our children. They and the rest of the children of the grotto. I went from being childless and with no hope of ever getting a child to being the father of 302 children. Imagine that.” Laughed Crassus. He was truly happy at the fact. Esmer leaned in.

“And it suits you.” She said. Crassus blinked at her. He couldn’t get his eyes off her lips.

“Do you think they will ever stop trying to hook us up?” Asked Esmer, leaning even closer. She had a found look in her eyes. Crassus tried to calm his beating heart but found he could not.

“Well, yes. When we get together.” He blurted and blushed.

“Not if?” Asked Esmer with a dreamy look on her face.

“When.” Said Crassus as he leaned the rest of the way in. They shared a soft kiss and when they broke apart, they giggled.

“The children played us like an instrument.” Said Esmer. Crassus leaned in again and they kissed again.

“Third time is the charm.” Said Esmer but Crassus leaned away from her.

“Queen Mother, what of my virtue?” He asked in his best imitation of an outraged princess.

“Your virtue is mine, King Regent. Now lean in, or it will be the dog house for you.”

Crassus chuckled nervously.

“For a month.” She said.

He leaned in. Three times really was the charm.

4