Chapter 21 – Helping the Broken
1.1k 8 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arturia looked at Subaru with a serious face, but Subaru just looked down for a whole minute before he looked up to face her and said.

“I-I can’t do anything…”

Subaru tightened his fists as he looked at Arturia with a rather broken expression. His eyes were narrowed, his lip was bitten, and his face was pale. It was the face of someone who had experienced despair.

Arturia’s expression turned soft as she looked at Subaru. His expression reminded her of someone, a broken one that always strives to be a hero. This young man in front of her had failed, that was why he seeks for help, unlike the hero that she knew. The hero that she knew would do anything by himself, he wouldn’t ask for help.

As such, Artura could sympathize with Subaru’s state even though she never experienced it herself. She looked at Subaru and with a soft voice, she asked him.

“What happened?”

“I can’t save her, I wanted to save her, but I can’t!” Subaru said as he slammed his right fist on the table.

Rom and Felt were only looking at Arturia and Subaru from the bar, they didn’t know what happened but they choose to stay silent and gave Arturia and Subaru the space. Arturia just looked at Subaru with a small smile on her face and waited for Subaru to continue himself.

“I…I was powerless. I’ve tried so many times, but I failed. What should I do?”

Arturia was confused by what Subaru had said. He tried so many times, but he failed? It was just a day after the Royal Selection, how could he try many times? And, what was the danger that Subaru talked about?

There was a lot of contradiction in his story, and Arturia don’t know what to make it. Subaru could be lying to get Arturia away from the Capital too if she went to help Emilia with her not-confirmed problem. But her feeling told her otherwise. She felt that Subaru told her the truth, that was why she urged Subaru to continue his explanation.

“I am alone is not enough. Please, after a little bit of time, I recognize your name. Pendragon, England, Britania, and Caliburn. You… you’re Arthur Pendragon little sister right?!”

Arturia just smiled at him without saying anything. But, inside her mind, she had guessed something. This Subaru certainly came from Earth. After getting used to this world for more than a week, she noticed that no one wore a jumpsuit like what Subaru had.

Not only that, Arthur Pendragon. She introduced herself as Arturia Pendragon, a name that was associated with Fate Game. It was either Subaru only knew about the legend of Arthur Pendragon and didn’t play Fate Series, or he was from a different Earth from her.

But, Arturia didn’t like the fact that she was mistaken as a little sister of Arthur Pendragon. She herself was the only one. That was why she corrected Subaru.

“There is no one called Arthur Pendragon. If there is one, that person would be me. The only rightful heir of my country is me, and me alone.”

Subaru's eyes shined with hope. He smiled at Arturia and then he shouted.

“Then! Can you help me?! I… I can’t give anything right now, but I promise that I will give you something equal with your help!”

Arturia was about to answer Subaru, but Rom suddenly chimed in and interrupted them.

“Hear this boy. I’ve been listening for a while and had no intention to interrupt you. But, I knew that Young Miss was about to agree to your request, that was why I interrupted you.” Rom approached their table and stood beside them.

Arturia just gave Rom a wry smile, but she was thankful for Rom’s interruption. As Rom’s said, she was about to give her agreement to help Subaru, but when she thought about it twice, she was too hasty. She didn’t even tell Reinhard, her Knight, about this matter.

“What do you mean, old Rom. If she agreed to my request, then I would really be thankful for it. Why did you stop her?” Asked Subaru.

“Although I only knew Young Miss for a week, I knew more about her than you. She was naïve, she will help everyone in need without even asking. But, right now she is one of the candidates for the Royal Selection. Her Knight would surely help her to learn and eventually her naivety would be gone.” Explained Rom to Subaru.

“Then!” Subaru shouted at Rom, but he was stopped with Rom’s hand that was extended toward him.

“That was why, I interrupted this time. I owe young lady Emilia too for healing me, but Young Miss had helped me more than you thought. I know Young Miss is strong, but explain to her who your enemy is and make an agreement with a contract to bind the two of you. That way, Young Miss would not help you with only her kindness.” Said Rom as he pulled his hand away from Subaru.

“That’s why I said that I will give her a reward after she helped me!” Subaru shouted in a desperate tone.

Arturia now understood. The boy had a good brain in his head, but he was too hasty to make a rational choice.

“Subaru, calm down.” Said Arturia shortly.

“What… “ Muttered Subaru as he looked at Arturia.

“As Rom’s said earlier, I was about to agree to your request because I thought helping the other is necessary and important. But, after considering my position and Reinhard’s position, I can’t move without knowing the real problem behind your … suffering. Told me about it, who is … no, who are your enemies?”

Arturia looked at Subaru with a serious face with her left hand rested on her sword’s handle.

Subaru gulped his saliva because of nervousness, and he finally opened his mouth.

“Witch cult… they are in Mathers Domain right now and was about to attack Emilia. They will attack them in two days, not only that. There was one more obstacle. I… I found out about a beast location, and that beast was blocking the way to the Mathers Domain.”

Arturia's eyes widened when Subaru told her about all of it. Although she can’t tell a lie like Crusch Karsten or Reinhard, she had her instinct. And, her instinct told her that Subaru was not lying. She didn’t know how, but Subaru managed to gain important information in just one day.

“Young Miss… they are a dangerous bunch. I suggested that you refuse his request.” Rom said in a concerned tone as he looked at Arturia.

Subaru looked down when he heard that, but his hope was ignited in a way that he never expected.

“No, this is a good opportunity. What was the beast that you found? Hakugei, Oousagi, or Kurohebi?” Asked Arturia.

Subaru with new hope in his eyes looked at Arturia and said. “It was a big whale. I know the location where the beast would spawn too!”

Arturia smiled as she heard that and stood up from her chair. He looked at Subaru and said, “Follow me, I will help you. We will talk about the reward later.”

After she said that to Subaru, Arturia looked at Rom.

“Thank you for lending this place, Rom. I will pay you in a later day.”

Rom just smiled at her, but he can’t hide his concern, “Just try to come back safely.”

Arturia nodded her head and walked out of the house, followed by Subaru.

There is advanced chapters on my Patréon.

Chapter 26 was uploaded on my Patréon!!

Patréon: www.patreon.com/ShuviLily

Thank you!

48