Chapter 2: First Battle and Communications
782 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Andy, your still with me?"

[Affirmative Sir. However, the signal is insufficient to gather data from you and your suit. I recommend setting up a comm relay at a high vantage point to where we can provide a continuous relay of information and communications.]

"Okay. Its already been a year since everything had gone to hell. I do not think power at this time would work as with the radio towers being dead already. I'll try setting up a nearby relay station at some roof or anything high at this place, trying to make contact with you. For now, just continue on with gathering information while I'll find a way to contact you again."

[Affirmative Sir. Shall I provide coordinates to the nearest town or city for you?]

"Send it to my suit if you can. I need to continue moving on and find out what happen to this place before making my way to my sister."

I still remember that it was January when the first sign that the internet went down but at that time, I didn't really minded it since I tend to let the AI save up any file I needed on a backup storage just in case when I needed the info at that time.

The next irregularity was when I needed to play online with some of my friends but I notice that all of them weren't online and would have notice that if not for Andy informing me of a breakthrough of my research.

From then on, I didn't check anything since I was fully on my research till I was finally done with it and had now just started thinking of going outside to face my reality. So, I was still in the dark that year until now and made me felt like I should have noticed it by now until it was too late.

"I could have also notice about my sister not calling me at that time but I probably felt like she was too busy with her work that I didn't notice something had gone wrong..."

I kept on lamenting on these past year, thinking of all the things at that time to be weird to not notice it but it was because of my drive to finish my research, cause me to noticed it until it was too late.

"Damn....No. I shouldn't be lamenting on this. Just finding out my sister is okay be enough to stop moping around."

Plus, how can I help my sister if all I do is just curse at myself for being ignorant and be self-destructive all the time? I need to first get myself into a higher vantage point and install a relay to establish connection with Andy again and not only look for answers in this apocalyptic world but also reunite with her again is my current goal.

I move discreetly while being cautious of my surroundings as I set my rifle to fire at a range where its quiet enough to not attract any noise at a cost of not dealing damage to my enemies. Fortunately, I'm just probably going to face some zombies with no armor which should be enough.

With my armor being light and silent to move about, I was easily able to conceal myself if I don't rush things and move quietly just to scout around as I quickly move to a nearest radio tower as a smile being plastered on my face.

"Nice, I can now reestablish connection with Andy again."

I didn't hesitate to head towards that direction as I spotted two zombies just prancing in the field without being spotted by them.

I kept on scouting until I finally felt relieved that there weren't any other mobs except of the two of them as I decided to head towards them to take both of them out.

My rifle began to lit up with power as I aimed my sight at the nearest zombie near me and fired a shot right at its head, dealing enough damage just to penetrate its head while being silent enough to not be noticed by the other zombie near it.

I downed the other one with a quick shot as I sighed in relief that I didn't deal with a large horde or any other creatures that might cause some danger to me.

Looking around again, I finally could breathe properly as I holster my rifle on my back as I prepared myself to scale the tower and not only look around to see my surroundings but also communicate with Andy again.

I began to scale up the tower without any difficulty as I manage to finally arrive at the tower and began to look around to see that everything looks like how the apocalypse should look like.

"Haah....I'll just have to let Andy help me with this as I'm not really good at scouting and such."

Turning away from the sight, I took out a small box in my pockets as I press a button and it began to change itself to turn into a small radar like device which I placed it next to a flat surface and press a communicator in my helmet.

"Andy, Can you hear me?"

[Reconnection Complete, Welcome Back Sir.]

"Haah....Its a bit glad to hear you again Andy."

It might have just been a short while since I talked to Andy again but I was still tense on the aftermath of the battle I did even though I only face a few zombies at most in that encounter.

There would be an event where my weapons couldn't penetrate or deal enough damage to these guys, it might attract the other one to attack me or even having to survive that shot and both of them went through charging straight at me.

I still thought more of crazy possibilities and ideas I might not encounter as I'm not as proficient in battles than how I play games and whatnot.

I can respawn in those if I die but this is real world were talking about. One life, one death. If I get killed, that would be the end of it.

The suit might be enough to protect me but I don't know any other possibilities of it failing to protect me as I now grew more cautious as it was too easy for me to defeat these guys without any hassle and thought of another possibility.

"Mutation or Evolution..."

In game terms, players can easily defeat their opponents if they knew how these guys work or abusing their intelligence to their ways. But if they encounter a tougher enemy, their tactics would change and try to adapt at a given time. Yet this is the real world and you don't have time to adapt to these new types of monsters.

"If its in that category, it now makes sense if humans can still not hold or dwindle down to small groups to end up upon."

If its a huge monster capable of wrecking walls or another that can spit acid to make holes in their defenses, I can understand why humans would start to lose.

Or there would also be other possibilities which I haven't discovered yet as I needed more information as to how the world ended up like this.

As I waited, two drones came by as they collected the bodies of the two zombies I killed as I plan on researching these guys and find out if my other theories would come into play.

Maybe even find a cure for this if I tried hard enough...

"Oh, it might not be a city or something of sorts but its actually a good thing I found this out."

While not on the map I've been given, Andy informed me of a nearby shelter which was already abandoned as I knew I can gather information from it instead of looking for supplies and such.

It was practical to look into these types of structure instead of heading into cities as this can provide me with critical info to learn what has happened to humanity and find out if I can look to where I can maybe find my sister or any other survivors that are still alive.

There might be diaries that wrote stories of what happened during the apocalypse, or some sort of military protocols that took place which explain the behaviors of the civilians or such, hell, just finding a shelter would give out some information I need to learn what took place during and after the events.

"Andy, is the route safe for me to move or do I have to maneuver myself to avoid meeting with hostile mobs?"

[Scanner shows in the area you are currently in, it provides that you have easier time moving in a straight direction as the scouts provided that most hostile forces you will encounter are the same ones you met.]

"Good. I think I can rush towards the shelter if most are just plain zombies. But I better be sure to caution myself if some of those are probably mutated which could also provide good material for research."

Descending to the ground, I took out my rifle as I headed straight towards the direction of the shelter.

18