Chapter 5: Info Dumping
655 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"EMP?"

[Yes. Reports gathered that approximately on December 31, all electronics around the city had encountered an EMP blast which shuts down all communications and electronics in the area, uncovered that all over the country had suffered the same event as well. Possibly the world even.]

"Okay. That would solve the internet issue."

I made sure to tell Andy to replace the broken parts of the internet and get a new one such that we can maybe reconnect back ourselves to the internet or even tried to.

Knowing that an EMP attack had occured was somehow shocking as I was actually fortunate enough to set up my shelter to be deep below, enough to avoid any interference from EMP and such, especially proofing against it at a worry that my research data would disappear on me.

But not knowing had led me to some suspicious thought inside me.

"Andy, why didn't you notice that the internet was cut off?"

[Apologies Sir. I was currently rebooting myself to upgrade the systems to a newer version and didn't account for the internet being offline. The systems also neglected to check the internet itself and thought it was just a minor error which ignored it fixing the routers breaking.]

"Ugh....I actually didn't thought of it if you put it like that. Plus, you couldn't expect the internet crashing at the same time you upgrade yourself so I guess I can't blame you for not foreseeing this problem."

Andy would have notice it immediately if the internet were to go down and fix it even if it was attacked by an EMP blast straight out of nowhere. But the timing of the attack was too coincidental to the time Andy had to reboot itself for an upgrade is such an unlucky event waiting to happen.

Plus, I didn't account for the internet failing as most of the time I either do my research, play singleplayer games or writing thesis on the discoveries I made. I would play online but only when I would be asked by my friends to play with me but I didn't know that I have been cut off from the outside world for a year now.

The only thing that had cause uncertainty in me was when I didn't receive any calls from my sis even when I'm not free but the research I had was too important that I ended up ignoring it from my mind.

"Damn. We can talk about that once we establish proper communication from the satellite and gain access to global communication after we have connection to either one of the satellites online or build one.

For now, lets focus first on what we are currently dealing with."

The windows of the EMP disappeared as another pops up and it was the ones we discovered recently.

".....Fuck! I knew I shouldn't sleep on Dr. Heinburg's sessions since most of this are actually in his field of expertise. I know about these type of materials that are mixed inside these zombies but most of it are just chemical compounds that are hard to identify....Ugh. I wish Robert where here to help me out with these type of shit I'm dealing with."

Andy began sorting out the chemical inside the zombies are made off as I shook my head in dejection after most of this are way out of my department.

While I am a researcher myself, these type of things is usually out of my league as I only know of one person who would be thrilled to uncover these type of stuff if he were here right next to me, helping me out with this. My main department usually handles the techy stuff and most of my research usually handles how robotics and energy creation. I only knew a bit of these since I once joined in a class and learn from a professor to help out my self-sufficient lab.

Robert was Dr Heinburg's assistant and usually berates me because he's jealous that the professor favors me more than him. Well, I wouldn't blame him since the professor wanted me to change department since I was genius at my stuff and if I put effort in biochemistry....

Nah, Tech boys for life bro.

Even though we kinda hate each other, we usually come to an agreement as most of the time he does help me with improving the artificial garden I was planning on building inside my shelter as we kinda share a common interest...

But I still can't forgive that traitor since I didn't expect that bastard to have a girlfriend even though he looks like that.

Ugh....back on the subject....

[Sir, even with Dr. Heinburg's help, I think this unidentified chemical is a bit....foreign on earth standards....]

"........Don't tell me...."

[Yes Sir. This should not exist on earth and derives more on 'Alien' than native.]

"Fffffuuuuucccckkkk......."

I grumble as I see a picture of more weird possibilities as I can guess since it is impossible for some sort of chemical or biological weapon to wipe out not only communications but also being silent enough to not be noticed at all...

The EMP, the unknown virus....It should slowly come to a huge realization as I tried to deny that possibility but also can't help but it is something too advance for earth's standards.

"Well Andy, we might need to dig a bit more on that possibility as well since if it were actually true....we are a bit more screwed than we thought."

[Affirmative Sir.]

I continue to look for clues or maybe possibilities to solve this as most of these stuff might need to be researched as I would decide on abandoning my search for my sister and head back to the shelter but I deny that thought as I still am worried for her.

5 years man, my sister could be in a worst state or even possibly dying right now and even if I continue to research this, I might possibly take a long time which by the time I did complete it, my sister would already be dead by then.

"Andy, just continue to search for information for this and gather them. Also add combat data on types of monsters and even the girl we encounter to the database as well. There should be a possibility that this toxin in the air may have something to do with them being that strong."

While I am curious if I could maybe try to socialize with her, maybe try to be more intimidate with her a bit but considering she literally just slice a monster with just some makeshift tools she might've made, I am holding that possibility to be more dangerous than dancing with some zombies.

"Forget it. Don't end up in a boat, don't end up on a boat...."

I am still having thoughts on women who might be that strong would be equal to them being crazy as I plan on avoiding them for my safety sake as I bid my time till the supplies finally arrive and restock myself with rations and a bit more firepower to combat stronger foes.

My load might've gone a bit heavier than usual but I plan on moving towards a lengthy journey where I might get disconnected to Andy again and had to rely on myself.

The satellite plan would take around 10 more days since its still building a rocket to send while I might run into an issue where I would stopped being supplied in order to restock the equipment I might need in the future.

There's also the issue that I'll have to rely on an alternative way of communication as I decided to tell it to create a radio and try to communicate with maybe I can use it to find her.

Andy knows this would be dangerous for me and recommends that I should head back to base as I shook my head and continue on with my journey as my sister is the only person I have left in this world.

"This is my last order before we can establish communications again Andy. If my sister arrive to my shelter before me, let her in and those she trust as I'll wait for a good news once the satellite is installed. Also, don't let yourself be discovered. Drones are replaceable, robots as well but you aren't. Understand."

[Affirmative Sir. Have a safe trip.]

"Yup."

I finally decide to stop communicating as I pack up all the stuff I need and wave at the drone goodbye as I continue on with my journey as I finally decide on my next destination.

"Yup, straight to East till I reach the ocean. Build myself a boat and sail to america. There, I would start looking for my sister there once I arrive."

I open the map in my HUD as I started moving to my destination yet I sighed and stop moving after an hour had just passed.

"I didn't expect myself to be discovered by you of all people...."

Behind me, a girl was glaring at me with such hostility as her blade was pointed at my back as it was the same girl whom I tried to escape from earlier....

18