Intermission 3: the organization head’s no good very bad day
2.4k 10 123
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Woah that's a lot of views all of a sudden. I've gotten well over double the old record of views today and I have no clue why. Where did you all come from?

My name is Gormir and I used to be a spy master of a certain country. Key word being used to. I ended up getting caught sleeping with a count's wife and it became a huge scandal. My skills were quite useful for the country and I was high up the social ladder myself, so I was shipped off to Esu to take head of an organization only I and the king of my native land know the name of. 

The goal of wolves' maw is to take over Esu from within. Apparently my liege's ancestor tried to conquer the island of Esu through military might long ago. The found quite a bit of success, even forcing the natives to change their capital, but had the tables turned on them by the inhabitants. My country was seen as a laughing stock for a time because of the failure. As time went on Esu was for the most part forgotten and left be as the past battles were expensive and ended in failure.

My liege however, has not forgotten and has been setting up wolves' maw so he can earn glory by taking Esu for himself. Currently his highness is seen in a neutral light. He hasn't made any bad moves but not any extraordinary ones either. He's seen as just a fine king. Despite this the king has aspirations to be a great king who will go down in history, thus I've been sent here and am not allowed to return until Esu is firmly in our grasps.

I had been doing my job well until rather recently. I managed to get a strong grip on many powerful families through bribes and blackmail. I used this influence to back prince Alford so that his siblings wouldn't attempt to usurp the throne. I even managed to get one of the nobles under my control to get their daughter engaged to Alford. All was hunky dory. In just a few years I'd be able to have Bernadette manipulate Alford, heir apparent, so that I could have the whole damn country in my hands.

Then Bernadette Autumburn went missing. Hell we still haven't found her. What we did find however is a GOD DAMN DOPPELGANGER. Seriously, how the hell was I supposed to foresee that a previously undiscovered monster would take the place of the single most useful pawn I had. The real Bernadette could be dead in some ditch for all I know! 

Worst yet it seems that the person I had keeping watch of Bernadette has gone rogue. I sent my ghost unit on him as I figured he was rather incompetent, but a few days later they were all found dead in an alleyway in the capital. Before I could even get a chance to talk to him about the corpses, he fucked off to the assassination of the queen's descendants without orders. Apparently some of my subordinates were told by him the he, "knew where the doppelganger would be next" and that, "he wouldn't let it get away this time".

The report I got back on that situation was a shit show. Apparently the workshop the descendant lived in was blown to smithereens by some unknown force and a big ass beam of light came down and smited what was left. The locals seem to believe that the situation was some kind of divine punishment put on to the family. In the rubble of the workshop, the charred corpses of what I assume were my subordinates were found, but Cornelius is nowhere to be seen. Also found in the rubble were broken pieces of anti-magic metal. This likely came from the very expensive armor we gave to Cornelius, meaning even if Cornelius is still alive we can't reclaim his armor, FUCK. What the hell even caused such a big scene? I told my subordinates to be as stealthy as possible, and I know for god damn sure that Cornelius couldn't pull that off. It . . . It couldn't be that the mad man was right and the doppelganger was there, could it? No wait, if the doppelganger could pull off that crazy stuff why didn't it do it before? ARRRRGH!

As I was trying to figure out what the hell this could all mean a servant came in. With him he held a letter from my king. A letter with very odd orders,

'FIND AND KILL SAM BARSHNIKOVLE'

Who the hell was this Sam Barshnikovle? They have a last name so they must be a noble right? But there is no noble family with the name Barshnikonle, at least not in the intelligence I've gathered. The king wouldn't have sent this missive if this Sam wasn't on the island of Esu, right? Why do they want them dead specially? I just seem to keep having questions pile up with no answers in sight.

I think I feel a headache coming on. . .

123