Chapter 54: negotiations
395 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Got a rather large bump in readers on February 10th. Did my story get shown off somewhere or something? Well to all the new readers, any feedback you can provide would be appreciated. I really want to improve my skills as a writer.


Minister of foreign affairs PoV:

Roughly 7 years ago, I was reincarnated into this world. I was a Japanese high-schooler before I died by coming face to face with a truck and now I'm here. I'm not too familiar with any of that creepy otaku stuff, but isn't this that 'iseaki' thing? 

My life has been pretty good so far. My new family started off as a small barony, but thanks to the cosmetic products I've recreated from my old world we quickly stated amassing wealth! We also started to rapidly rise up the ranks until I got the position of minister of foreign affairs. I love my job because there's literally no work. I get the advantages of a lofty position with none of the hassle, or at least I did. 

Out of nowhere we got emissaries from a snake tribe. Like, I didn't even know there were snake tribes in the the first place! My sole aid said I should just send them away, but I have responsibilities as the minister of foreign affairs so I set up accommodations and a meeting with the king. That very meeting is occuring in an hour.

About 35 minutes earlier than expected, the emissaries arrived so I had them lead to the room the meeting would be held. The person to walk through the door was wearing a full set of jet black armor and carried- A-ARE THOSE GUNS?! The gun on their back is a massive. It's kinda like the gun version of the big swords I see some monster hunters use. They also have a gun on their hip thats just straight up a sawed off shotgun.

Is there another reincarnator among the snake tribe or are they just that advanced compared to us? Its impossible to know at this point, but either way I believe its in the country's best interest for this trade deal to go well. A few cannons would make a mockery of the capital's defenses, and those guns would rip through our soldier's armor like paper.

What follows the more humanoid figure, are several soldiers with snake tails instead of legs, they bring in a few crates with them. Does that mean the the first one was human or some kind of evolved form? It impossible to tell because of the armor. The other soldiers have the same massive gun as the first, but lack the shotgun. Is it an officer's weapon then? Their armor is all the same, so is the fact the first one had legs enough to signify they're an officer? The soldiers form up into a line and then salute, welcoming their leader.

A girl my age comes in. Their hair is bright red, their clothes seem to be made of fox fur died a vibrant purple. They look human, except for their most striking future. She has sharp yellow eyes with pupils like a lizard. Those eyes look into me as if they are sizing me up. However they quickly relax and take a seat across the table. Is this what the evolved form looks like?

 Its only then I take notice of the two woman at her side. One black and smooth, the other white and fluffy. Both are quite . . . Endowed and quickly lock unto the leader's arms. The three immediately start flirting with each other as the officer takes a position behind them to act as a guard. I give the leader a raised eyebrow. Are they really flirting at a negotiation, on top of the fact that they're all woman. Their leader notices my gaze and finally speaks,

"What? A great leader deserves great women, right?"

A quote from a former king of Esu. Seems like they did some research. Veil Ruff Esu was quite the respected king for pushing back an invading nation and being blessed by some supposed "gods", but had his vices. Mainly his love of woman. Let's just say he's the reason concubines are acceptable for a king to have. I still have a problem with bringing your multiple lovers into the meeting, but know better than to push it. This is normal for this world and criticism could cause negotiations to break down, worse case scenario even war. Their leader breaks my contemplation,

"You're quite young, huh?"

"I could say the same to you."

"Hahaha, I'm a bit older than I look. I presume you're the minister of foreign affairs right?"

"Yes, I'm Natasha Brouque. Born from a baron family that has recently risen to the rank of count."

"I see I see... was that your work that caused that?"

"I played a part, but a lot of socioeconomic factors played a part in allowing such a rise-"

"No need to be humble."

"..."

"Seems like you got enemies, countess. Minister of foreign affairs is supposed to be a dead end job. Some people clearly aren't happy with your rise."

I. . . have enemies? Why are they saying this.

"You see there's-"

Some fan fare sounds interrupting the snake queen.

"Well perhaps we can continue this chat another time."

"WE WELCOME HIS MAJESTY, KING RIVARD HALE ESU, THE HEALTHY"

the snake queen snickers a bit upon hearing his title, but why? The rest of the king's retinue walks in and takes a seat. He brought along the Fale Drett captain of the royal guard, Zette Braque minister of trade, Lalia Dero the General of the army, Yaler Gnune representative of the northern faction, Prain Gless representative of the left base faction, and Orche Autumburn leader of the right base faction. The Snake queen locks their eyes onto a buttler behind Zette but looks away after a bit. Orche's reaction to the snake queen is also odd. His gaze is ...complex, but gives off a mostly sad vibe. Finally as is tradition, the king takes his seat last.

"I suppose introductions are due, I am the queen of the N'esk snake tribe Sam Barshnikovle. The two woman at my sides are my wives Mi'ara and Vil'anth. Finally the only soldier of ours with legs is our general Sky."

The wives bit gets a bit of a shocked reaction, but there's a strange reaction from the butler Sam looked at earlier. He flinched after hearing her name and even released a bit of bloodlust, but he quickly hid that reaction. Why is that? Do they perhaps have some beef with each other?

"I see, you said you came to trade, correct? What are you offering and what are your demands?"

"First off we would like to buy some land, specifically the mountain on the border of our territory. The N'esk tribe's population has been booming in recent years so more space will be necessary in the coming years should the trend continue. The N'esk tribe is willing to pay for it with gold. How much do you want?"

"Hmm... how about 50-"

"Wait your majesty, I think we shouldn't sell off our land so easily!"

Zette objects to the deal. Strange, I don't remember him having any investment into the northern region. Yaler speaks up next

"I too object to this decision! That mountain is the north's land so we should have a say in the matter."

The snake queen's face darkens a bit. She sighs then speaks,

"If you refuse our offer to buy the mountain, we'll just take it by force."

The room goes silent. Yaler looks offended and Lalia's normally playful eyes gain a very sharp gleam. This is bad, really really really really really bad. Lalia speaks up next,

"Oho and how do you suppose you'll do that, as outnumbered you are?"

A mischievous smile spreads across the snake queen's face. Shit I have to descalate the situation!

"Hey let's not-"

"Perhaps I should show you all just a bit of my nations power..."

Sam slowly raises from her seat. They raise their hands over their right shoulder and give two claps which is followed by a brief tense silence. Not long after a distant sound can be heard. A sound everyone in the castle is trained to recognize, but is almost never used. Its a sound that reminds me of what I'd wake up to in the morning in my past life, but this sound is far more scary. It's a warning. It's an alarm. I book it, knocking over my chair in the process, so I can look out the window. I clearly see what caused the alarm.

There in the air space above the courtyard flaps a crimson beast. A flying lizard with seven heads, seven wings, seven horns, and seven eyes. Panic fills the room. A hyperventilating messenger bursts in. The snake queen speaks calmly,

"You may have more men, but we have more dragons."

13