The Other Jesse
4.2k 17 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was sitting on my sofa reading a book in my high-rise condo when there was a knock at my door. I motioned to Gerrard, one of my bodyguards, to get the door. He looked every bit the part of secret service and he always acted so professionally. He was sitting on a couch opposite of me when he stood up and went for the door. I put my book down, stood up, and walked over to the large window overlooking the city of Glen Cove. I was usually irritated by disturbances as they were usually from the petty local gangs. After a few moments, Gerrard ca

“Ma’am, someone is wanting to see you.”   

“I’m not in the mood to be dealing with thugs at the moment.”   

“I’m sorry ma’am, but this one isn’t a thug. You may want to hear her out.”   

This was different, usually, it was only thugs, complaining about territory this and turf that. It was too bothersome to deal with on the daily.   

“Alright then, bring her in and have Kayla prepare refreshments. Tell her I'll be with her in a moment.”   

Kayla was another bodyguard of mine. She also doubled as my personal maid as well as indulging in other…extracurricular activities. She was quite good. I stood up and walked into my bedroom. Even though it was midday, I was having a lazy day was wearing nothing but a robe. I changed into some casual clothes just some jeans and a t-shirt with a pair of sneakers, wasn’t too worried about looking professional they sought me out after all. I went to the bathroom to tidy up my appearance.   

My name is Jesse Owens, a 32-year-old female. Still single, but that’s only because my last boyfriend cheated on me. So, I skinned him and hung him up over the door of the woman he cheated on me with, also why I’m not in Japan anymore and back in the U.S. I have short dark red hair, all-natural by the way, and green eyes. I never knew my parents; I was shuffled around foster parents most of my life.    

Once I finish in the bathroom, I head back out to the living area. On the sofa where Gerrard sat earlier was an older woman who looked maybe about 50 or so. Her hair was black with streaks of gray in it and was done up in a bun. As I approached, she stood up and greeted me.   

“Hello. My name is...”   

“Yes, I know who you are. Glenda Aldrich, running for governor, right?”   

She looked shocked about how I cut her off, but personally, I don’t care right now but I guess I should make something up to appear more professional. I gestured at the couch while sitting down on my own.   

“I apologize to cut you short like that. I have a meeting I need to attend to here shortly.”   

After hearing that she gives a slight nod as if understanding my curtness, she then responds.   

“Well, I'll try to make it brief then. As you may know, one of my competitors has been slandering my name with allegations of corruption. To put it bluntly, I want him eliminated, preferably in a way that won't link back to me.”   

“Wel that much is obvious, never knew a person who wanted a hit linked back to them.”   

I said with a slight laugh.   

“On a more serious note, how did you find me?”   

“I sent out feelers, looking for anyone who could fulfill my request. I happened upon a man named Trey and he dropped your name; said you were in town and told me how to get in contact. It surprised me to see the woman wanted in 7 different countries in the U.S. I thought you were in Japan.”   

“Yeah stuff happened, had to come home earlier than planned. So, where and when you want this done?”   

She just nodded and sipped on her tea then spoke to me.   

“So, I plan to have it done at the debate. It needs to look like several of us are the targets, myself included. As for how I'll leave that up to you. I just need to know if you will accept and what you're going rate is.”   

I sat back in my seat closed my eyes and drank my tea, deep in thought. Thinking of the best way I can do this versus the costs of the operation. Once I had an idea I leaned forward and answered her.   

“Alright, I got a plan that will work, but it will be expensive.”   

“Just tell me what it costs”   

“... 3 million dollars. That will include all necessary gear and equipment, personnel, and other transactions like bribes as well as my pay.”   

   

Glenda sat there for a while in thought before nodding her head.   

“Alright, I’ll pay the 3 million. Half now the other on completion. Have your guy get with mine for details then.   

With that, she got up and was escorted out the door by Gerrard. Kayla came walking over to me with a tablet and spoke.   

“Mistress, we found Trey. He is with the biker gang the Blaz’n Devils.”   

“Good, send some guys out to collect him. I'll attend to him later. Tell Roy and Saby I need to speak to them later, got some plans to formulate. Also, do you have to call me Mistress?”   

“Yes”   

I sigh grab my coat and leave the condo followed by Kayla and Gerrard. Glen Clove will wake up tomorrow with one less Trey in the city.   

   

Several days went by while planning the hit. This was by far the largest hit my organization ever did. Most of the henchmen, as I call them, were just ordinary street thugs but they received some military training from the ex-mercenaries and ex-military, I had employed in my organization. I started off small but over the years it grew larger and more powerful. We still couldn’t compete with the Japanese Yakuza or the Italian Mafia, but both groups knew that going to war with me would be just as bad for them. So, we chose to cohabitate instead, offering aid to each other when needed.    

When I first arrived in Glen Cove there was a lot of gang violence and it made it difficult to conduct operations here. I used my muscle to try and gain control of the local underworld. Two gangs ignored me until one day during their turf wars they shot up a playground. So, I sent all available people to go and massacre every member from each gang involved. I'm no longer ignored and the local law leaves me alone for the most part seeing as how I keep the gangs on a tight leash.   

The plan is simple Roy and Saby are in charge of the “terrorist” operation while Kayla and I are Glenda’s bodyguards. Gerrard is our contact in-between groups as well as our private driver/getaway. The plan is to cause mayhem with a staged terrorist attack while eliminating our target, Kevin Richards a man nearing 62 years but he looked like he was in his mid 40’s. I would have slept with him, he had some game going for him, too bad he has to die. With everything in motion, we just wait for operation day.   

We were all in the mall now just waiting for the event to start. Kayla and I would be part of the security detail playing our part until we needed to leave. Dressed in my business slacks and Blouse, I lift up my sleeve to my mouth and call Kayla.   

“Roy’s team is in position. Everything is a go; I’m going to stick near the client. You hang out near the back by our exit and we will rendezvous there.”   

After that, I hung back to the rear of the stage of the debate ready to go into action to “protect” the client.   

“If all goes well, I might go back to Germany.”   

No sooner had I said that I saw the first smoke grenade pop off. Seeing my signal, I run towards the client.   

“Ma’am, we need to get you out of here.”   

I led Glenda through the panicking crowds towards Kayla’s position. Gunfire sounding off all around me I brought my sleeve to my face to speak.   

“Kayla! I have the client and we are...”   

After that was just darkness. I sat in the darkness, or was I floating? It doesn’t matter I was in it for a while. I soon came to and saw a white ceiling.   

“What happened? Was I shot? Is this a hospital?”   

I sat up and looked around and saw that I was in what appeared to be a waiting room of some kind. I stood up and noticed there were TVs on the wall playing news stations on them. I walked over to one and saw the news about some strange giant lizards in Japan. Confused I looked at the next TV, it had news about some Dark Wizard raising a horde of undead and warring against the Coalition of Justice. I don’t know what's going on, these news stations are weird. Why are they showing fictional stuff and not the news?   

It wasn’t until I looked around me when I realized I want on earth anymore around me were several people, most of them human, but the others not so much. Some were what looked like elves, I saw one that looked like a bipedal grasshopper, and there were a lot of angels I guess walking around escorting people. While I was busy looking around, I saw a man sitting down talking to another man. The man was the target of my hit.   

“So, I guess I did die then.”   

I let out a heavy sigh   

“Shit, I really fucked that one up.”   

As I was lost in thought, I feel someone tapping on my shoulder. I turn around to see an angel with a beaming smile on her face.   

“Hello! I am Selariel and I will be your guide. Your name is Jesse Owens right!”   

God, she is too damn bubbly someone please shoot her.   

“Yes, I am.”   

All I can do is just nod, don’t really want her to talk anymore.   

“Ok, awesomeness. Please just follow me and we will soon get you living again.”   

Wait? Living again? Am I not going to hell or something? With no choice, I follow her as she starts to leave me behind. After a few moments of walking, we stop and a door. She opens the door and gestures I go inside. I step into the office and hear the door close behind me. In front of me is a skinny frail-looking old man with a monocle sitting at a computer. He gestures me to sit down in the chair in front of his desk.   

“Ok, so the name is Jesse Owens. Parents seem to be deceased. Ah, I see you have a military record as well. This correct?”   

“Yes, that is me,” I respond   

“tragic that had to happen to you. At that event at the mall when the violence erupted. At least your sister is alive. After glimpsing at her future, she gets a government job with homeland security.”   

Wait!? Sister? I don’t have a sister, was there another Jesse at that event? Before I could speak up, the old man continues.   

“Judging by all the good deeds you did in your life you are qualified for our special reincarnation.”   

I quickly close my mouth and listen to what he has to say.   

“So, you can go through the normal reincarnation where you lose all memories and are reborn to a random world. The special reincarnation is limited only to certain individuals. You will have your memories and gain a blessing making your life easier in that world, you may even become a hero.”   

Yup, they definitely have the wrong person. I just killed a bunch of people and now I am about to get rewarded for it.   

“I’ll take the special please.”   

He gives a curt nod then proceeds to type a bunch of stuff on the computer.   

“Ok, so you will be going to a world different than earth. This one will have magic and have a technology equivalent to medieval and renaissance eras of earth. You will lose your memories until you turn 4. this is done so you can pick up languages and blend in better.”   

“Any questions?”   

I shake my head, excited for my new life.   

“Alright then, enjoy your new life.”   

He hits the enter key and I see darkness again.   

 

 

 

The next time I am waking up is in a bed. A girl is sleeping next to me hardly wearing anything. She looks about 16 or so. She has sandy blond hair; it looks like it goes down to her mid-back. My waking up caused her to wake up as well. She opens her blue eyes and groggily looks at me before opening her eyes wide. She rushes and grabs me in a big hug and petting my head. This goes on for a while before she lets me go.   

“Happy 4th birthday little brother!”   

Wait, brother? A searing pain hits me in my head for a moment before dissipating. That’s right, I am a male now my name is Rayce, I am a commoner so we don’t have last names. The girl in front of me is my clingy sister, Kassi. I have 3 older brothers and 2 older sisters; I am the youngest. My family is poor but manage to get by. Dad is a farmer and my mom is a seamstress. My siblings each help out around the house and now that I am 4 I will too. My sister speaks, breaking me out of my thoughts.   

“Are you excited? You finally get to go to the church today and get baptized.”   

Oh yeah, my memory tells me I'm in some kind of Holy Kingdom where the country is by a pope and the elite soldiers are magic paladins. This might suck for me.   

After waking up the rest of the family was waiting for me in the kitchen with breakfast. Mom is serving what appears to be a type of oatmeal. It's all flavorless of course as spices are expensive. While I am eating my mom speaks up.   

“Remember honey, you have nice clothes that you have to wear today. So, after you are done go get cleaned up and dressed. Kassi, can you help him?”   

With sparkles in her eyes, she looks at me before dragging me to get ready. After several minutes of hugging my sister finally decided to get me cleaned up and dressed. We meet with the rest of the family and take the cart and our single horse into town for the baptism. We finally reach the city after what was four hours and are then escorted along with others to the church.   

Inside looks just as much as any church as you can imagine. Up near the alter is the bishop of the local church. A long line of other children stands in the middle aisle while the families sit in the pews on either side. The bishop, holding some kind of ladle, scoops out the water then mutters a prayer and pours the water over the child's head.   

It is finally my turn; I step up and the bishop does the same thing. Once he pours the water on my head he freezes and drops the ladle. In a panic, he rushes over to the altar and kneels before it while chanting some prayer. He then stands up and addresses the families.   

“Dear visitors! This child has been blessed by the gods with the hero blessing! To his family, Rejoice! All your troubles are over!”   

I look on with a dumbfounded look on my face   

Well shit. 

78