Chapter 21 – Chain Dogs Go Click-Clack Up The Lift Hill
506 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What is it called again?"

 

The king was holding up half a golden confectionary treat right after he had taken a bite out of it exposing the white creamy center. Kyle answered, "The pastry chef said it was called 'a twinkie'." The king popped the rest in his mouth and moaned in delight, "I have never tasted anything like it! It isn't just the delectable flavor, but how light and airy it is." His eyes rolled up into his head as he moaned pleasurably, “Whomever is the cook who created this confectionary delight, give him a raise!”

 

Kyle nodded and scratched his chin, "Hrmmm..." The king eyed his chancellor. The king’s face fell as he let out a long suffering sigh, "What?"

 

Kyle raised an eyebrow, "Excuse me?" The king pushed the tray of treats away and sat up to rest his elbows on his desk and support his head. He leveled an accusing gaze at Kyle, "Whenever you have that expression you are contemplating something horrible so hurry up and ruin my mood."

 

Kyle shrugged, "Fine, Fine..." He took a deep breath, "This past week, have you noticed how many changes have been happening in the castle?" The king quirked an eyebrow, "Well...” He looked off into the distance, “Now that you mention it, things have been better as of late.”

 

The king pointed at the snack tray, “The food has improved dramatically, that’s for certain." He quirked an eyebrow as he kept thinking, "People seem to be in high spirits?" The king reached out to the tray to pick up a long, red licorice rope and sniffed it. He was about to taste it when he got a look of sudden revelation.

 

"Wait. Now that you mention it, the coin master hasn't been by to complain about his workload in at least three days." The king put the candy down, "Now that is unusual."

 

Kyle nodded, "I hate to be the wet blanket-"

The king interrupted with a knowing smile, "Actually, you love being the wet blanket."

Kyle gave the king an annoyed look, but continued regardless, "I put it together yesterday and I'm not sure if-" Kyle sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose, "It's Reed."

 

The King waited a few moments then simply commanded, "Explain."

 

Kyle took off his glasses and pulled out a handkerchief. The king knew his advisor and this little habit was usually a bad sign. Kyle spoke as he started to clean, "I have been keeping track of his progress under the headmaster's direction. First two days, he basically, and I'm not sure how, read the magic section of the palace library. At least the section that isn't restricted. Then he began his... training."

 

The king held up a hand and made a rolling motion for Kyle to continue.

 

Kyle held up his glasses to the light, then resumed cleaning, "He's been doing a series of physical exercises to improve his well-being but combining it with some sort of... Mana... training program that involves..." Kyle started to look uncomfortable, "Impaling himself with long thin needles." The king straightened up in his seat, "What?"

 

Kyle nodded, "The results are remarkable. The headmaster is beyond impressed. He isn’t crazy enough to try it himself.” Kyle put his glasses back on, “Apparently it’s something that was developed by the elves a long time ago but nobody who’s tried it in the past two hundred odd years survived. Reed has this innate knowledge of how things work and so he just... figured it out.”

 

The king nodded slowly and stroked his mustache thoughtfully, “Can he teach it to others?”

 

Kyle shook his head and reached for a Twinkie, “He tried to explain it to me, but it sounded like nonsense, or rather I couldn't get it. Something about opening up Cha-Cha paths or something in the body to increase the flow of mana by creating alternate paths of mana absorption." Kyle stared at the Twinkie, "Sounded like sheer babble to me. He said, 'Think Lightning Rods for your Mana Core'"

The king’s eyebrows furrowed, “What’s a lightning rod?”

 

Kyle shrugged, "I have no idea. Nobody else does either. And that damn friend of yours you made headmaster just smiles and bobs his head like he knows what is going on when he doesn't have a damn CLUE!"

The king leaned back, "Wait. You said it's working. So what's the problem?"

 

Kyle sighed, "How to I explain it? He's been sneaking around the castle helping people." Kyle picked up and presented a twinkie to the king, "He made this. I know it. Or he told the cook how to make it. The strange part is, I believe he told the chief to take the credit." Kyle dropped the twinkie on the serving tray and pulled out a short rod and unscrewed the cap on one end, "I stole this from accounting. Everyone was taking the afternoon off so it was easy to snag one." He offered it to the King.

 

The king took it and started to examine it, "What is it?" The king blinked, "Wait. They took the afternoon off? I thought they were weeks behind?"

 

Kyle gestured at the rod, "It's called a ball point pen. No need to use an inkwell. Reed has been seen at the forge at the knight training grounds. Apparently there were complaints about him sneaking out to use the place at night, but those complaints only lasted a day. When I went to investigate everyone was smiles and said nothing was wrong.” He spoke in a sing-song voice, “Every-Thing-Is-Fine-Thanks-For-Asking."

 

The king twirled the pen around, then started to scribble on a random piece of parchment, "This could certain speed up my paperwork. You mind if I keep-“ He stopped in mid sentence, “Wait. Are you talking about the forge run by that grumpy dwarf who curses more than Reed and hates everyone? THAT Forge?" The King shook his head again "Hold it. Back up even further. Explain how the coin master let accounting take the afternoon off."

 

Kyle nodded, "Ah. Almost forgot. They just got a bunch of new devices called, 'An abacus'. It speeds up the math. Also, they are adopting a new accounting method or something. It's cutting down on the workload dramatically. They managed to catch up on everything they were behind in just a few days."

 

The king eyed the pen for a second, then laid it down on his desk gently, as if it might explode for no apparent reason, "Are you saying Reed somehow reorganized the entire coin master's department?"

Kyle shrugged, "I don't know. They won't say. Everyone is tight lipped about... well... everything. Even the maids have more free time. Someone built them a..."

 

Kyle pulled out a small notepad and checked it, "A heavy duty washer". He looked up at the king, "It is attached to a device you sit on. You push with your feet and it powers the device that apparently can speed up wash time by a factor of four." Kyle put his notepad away, “The maids, I might add, have nothing but high praise for Reed.”

The king looked thoughtful, “A Halfling bastard is well loved by my servants.” He arched his eyebrows, “My servants are the type to be very closed mouthed around strangers and being a half-dwarf, that should be two strikes against him.”

 

Kyle leaned back, "Did I mention what’s up with the palace alchemist? He's happy as a clam lately, even though he's busier than ever. Apparently he has developed a new hair tonic that... how'd he put it?" Kyle checked his notepad again, "Ah. Makes your hair bouncy and shiny, while increasing strength and volume." He looked up, "Apparently he has quite a back order for his latest creation among the ladies of the court."

 

The king looked thoughtful, "So that explains why the queen was trying to get me to compliment her new look."

Kyle glared, "Sire. Seriously. This is a real problem."

The king leaned back, "Kyle, my old friend, you are always jumping at shadows. Explain to me how is it that things improving around here is a problem."

 

Kyle rubbed his eyes for a second then continued with a sigh, “The problem is, it's all Reed. For whatever reason he doesn't want the credit. He's creating things that could be... well... making him buckets of money and deliberately telling people to take the credit so nobody can trace it back to him."

 

The king gave Kyle a look that screamed, 'So What?'

 

Kyle smacked his forehead, "Sire, sometimes..." Kyle folded his hands and looked like he was praying for a few moments before he continued, "Sire, if Reed gets none of the credit, he also doesn't get any of the accolades." Kyle started counting off on his fingers, "Meaning we can't justify to other nobles giving him special treatment. When he finally graduates, rumor has it his father will be tossing him out on the street. No more title. Reed won't be a noble anymore."

 

The King suddenly started to catch on, "If he's not a noble, he won't have sworn an oath of loyalty to the crown."

 

Kyle nodded, "And chances are he's getting money from all these people on the back end. Not as much as he'd get himself, but money he's getting that we can't trace." There was quite a bit of silence.

 

"You think he's preparing to leave the country."

 

Kyle nodded, "Yes. I’m sorry to say, I don’t think we can afford to let a genius like this escape. Imagine if he devoted his mind to advancing our knowledge of war. He made a bomb in a broom closet that the palace alchemist is STILL trying to figure out." Kyle pointed out the window, “Now imagine that our neighbors to the west make him a very tempting offer.”

The king leaned back, "I get it now. That could be a problem.” The king stared at the ceiling for a while before he spoke.

 

“Here’s what we do-"

 

At that moment the box on the king's desk buzzed. He leaned forward to press the green button, "Yes, Chappy?"

 

The voice of the king's receptionist came out from the speaking stone, "Your highness, the representative from the mountain tribes has arrived a day ahead of schedule. He stated that there has been a new development with the, and I quote, You-know-what. He says he needs to speak to you directly and as soon as possible. Apparently he refuses to disclose any information except to you directly."

 

The king took his finger off the button and looked at Kyle. Kyle pushed his glasses up further on his nose and shrugged with one shoulder, "The northern mountain tribes are a fractious and disorganized lot, but the most direct route from the demon lands is through that area. I honestly thought they were going to blow us off, but maybe something happened that convinced them joining us is their best option."

 

The king nodded and pressed the button again, "Chappy, have them prepare the throne room. The usual set up, no need to go overboard. Tell our guest I'll see him within the hour." He pulled his hand away as he stood up, "I guess we'll table the Reed matter for now."

The king looked at Kyle, "Let's try and impress him, but not appear too eager. I don't want him thinking that we're desperate." Kyle nodded and proceeded to head for the exit.

 

 

 

"It is a pity that we are."

19