Chapter 22 – And Away We Go
444 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryan was walking along with a notebook, occasionally clicking his pen while he twirled it around between his fingers. Charity followed behind as they meandered the halls of the palace. Ryan would occasionally make notes of things that he observed or ideas that came to him. It was a sprawling mess that would be useless to anyone else who got a hold of it, considering how many different languages he wrote in.

 

He had noticed that apparently he could communicate in any form of language, both spoken or written. This extended to any form of communication he was physically capable of. He could understand the pheromones of insects, but couldn't say anything back since he didn't have the ability to give off a scent himself. He could 'talk' with animals, but only have a 'conversation with domesticated ones. Even then, it was mostly simple concepts like 'run' or 'come here'. He could understand the sounds wild animals made, but they didn't trust humans, so they didn't pay any attention to him when he tried talking back. As part of his on going experiments, he was writing things down in any language he could think of just to see if he could figure out what limits this power had.

 

Charity cleared her throat for the third time.

 

"Charity, I really wish you would get out of the annoying habit of making that particular noise when you want me to ask you what is on your mind. I’d prefer if you just TOLD me what you were thinking." Ryan turned to walk down another corridor, peering into any room with the door open, “I get that habits are hard to break, but if you are going to be working with me, I live by the axiom, an ounce of performance is worth a pound of appearance.” He stopped walking and looked at her, “Even if everyone else lives like it is the reverse.”

 

Charity kept quiet for a while longer before speaking, "Milord, shouldn't you take a break? Maybe eat something? I'm not even sure what you are doing and we have the evaluation tomorrow."

 

Reed nodded, "As you have reminded me a dozen times. However, I want to make a good impression and if I'm going to make my case, I need to have something to present. Thus I need to find more problems to solve." Charity started to speak, but spotted something past Ryan. Instead she closed her mouth and lowered her head. Ryan looked puzzled by this reaction, so he turned to look and see what caused her to act in such a manner.

 

It was the first prince, Arthur Dracobane.

 

He couldn't have been more of a stereotypical crown prince if you tried. Golden hair, broad shoulders, strong jaw and golden eyes.  He was handsome to the point of unreality. Women wanted him to be with him. Men wanted to be him. He walked with confidence and purpose. He was in his late teens and on the cusp of full manhood. Everyone loved him.

 

And he knew it.

 

The first prince was walking down the corridor heading towards the heart of the palace. A small cloud of people surrounded him, including the chancellor's son, a number of escort guards, a rather large steel-eyed fellow, and that blond haired girl Ryan had met the day of his arrival.

 

Ryan had figured it out a while ago. Listening to the rumors in the castle, most were typical nonsense, but more than a few were about princess Pricilla Pureheart, the sheltered daughter of the Pureheart family. They were one of the vassal families that protected the western border. Rumors were that she and the first prince had a thing going on and that the relationship between the prince and his vicious fiancée, Lilith Darkwold was souring.

 

~In other words, meet the protagonist.~ Ryan thought.

 

The group had stopped in front of the chancellor. Father and son were having a chat. The prince was sparkling and showing off for the blond haired, topaz-eyed lass he was escorting. Ryan considered taking a detour to avoid everyone, but thought better of it. He angled over to intercept the gathering because he had unfinished business, ~Might as well bite the bullet.~ He thought to himself as he approached, his gaze focused on the younger Kyle. The conversation went silent as Ryan approached, Kyle did not fail to notice he was the focus of Ryan's attention and tensed up. The princess actively recoiled at Ryan's approach and moved to hide behind Prince Arthur who, seeing an opportunity to white knight and impress the lass, puffed up his chest and glowered at Ryan.

 

Ryan stood there, all eyes upon him and he cleared his throat, "Uh..." He took a deep breath then blew all of it out of the side of his mouth, "Crud." He scratched the back of his neck, "This went a whole lot better in my head." The chancellor and his son both started looking puzzled with Ryan in the exact same manner.

 

Ryan started gesturing about while he avoided looking at Kyle junior, "See, I'd say something witty, there'd be some light conversation, I make a funny joke, and then I get serious and I say I'm sorry. Except I'm not good at the whole being sorry thing." He paused before adding, "Or being serious for that matter." Another pause and he looked down the hallway, "In fact, I've been trying to say I'm sorry to the king for a week now and I always seem to have some excuse not to... Mostly because I don't like people saying they’re sorry to me."

 

The group started looking at each other, then back to Ryan.

 

Ryan folded his arms, "I hate, 'I'm sorry'. Don't be sorry. Just don't do it again. It's part of this whole thing I got about... fairness... and how to make things even and... its something I need to get over but... My point is..." Ryan sighed and looked straight at Kyle, "I went a little crazy and I did some things I regret and you got hurt and it's my fault and if you want an apology, I'm offering." Ryan's eyes kept darting to the side, requiring him to keep forcing himself to look back at the chancellor's son.

 

Kyle junior listened to Ryan, before looking back at his father who just shrugged and gestured in a way to indicate, 'it's up to you', before the chancellor took a half step retreat to leave this between the two of them. The younger Kyle pushed his hair back behind his ear and looked at Ryan before saying simply, "Forget it."

 

Ryan dropped his gaze to the floor in thought before nodding, "A'rite. But I won't forget it. I still owe you, so... you need something. Ask. I pay my debts." Ryan jammed his hands in his pockets and turned to leave, before he stopped to turn back to the chancellor, "Actually... maybe it's time I stopped putting this off. Any chance the King is free?"

 

The chancellor looked from Ryan to his son and back, before sparing a glance to the prince, who was looking increasingly annoyed, The chancellor sighed and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, "Lord Ratliff. One, you should have acknowledged the prince first. Two, You cannot just barge in on the King, even if you wish to humble yourself for past wrongs. He is a very busy man. For example, right now the king is in the main throne room receiving a representative from the northern mountain tribes. He is in conversation with Shaitan Old Scratch right now as we speak. To-"

 

Ryan raised a hand to interrupt, "Wait. What was that name?" Pricilla also perked up, seemingly concerned.

The chancellor looked increasingly annoyed, "Shaitan Old-" But never got a chance to finish as Ryan was already running down the hallway as fast as his aura enhanced legs could carry him.

"Call The Guards!" Ryan's voice was doppler shifting as he accelerated away, "TO THE KING!"

 

Ryan ran up the wall as he rounded the corner, ~Please Be Wrong! Please Be Wrong! Please Be Wrong!~ Repeated in his head over and over as he tried to coax every ounce of speed he could out of his diminutive frame. Up ahead were the main doors to the throne room, shut tight with not a single guard standing watch, "No no no no no no No NO!" He muttering to himself as he charged, leapt into the air and kicked the doors squarely in the center, causing them to fly open as he burst into the throne room.

 

---

 

Prince Arthur led the charge in pursuit of Ryan. The group had just rounded the corner as the bastard kicked the doors open wide. Arthur got an excellent view straight into the throne room. There was a tall figure, maybe ten feet tall, standing next to the throne. It was holding the king up to its face in one clawed hand while its tail twitched in shadowy profile. A few other people were visible, but they were motionless and scattered about the floor. Just on the other side of the double doors they could see Reed, standing alone, facing off against... IT.

 

An oddly sensual voice issued out of the throne room and echoed down the hallway, "Odd. I thought I locked that." It gestured with its free claw towards the door, making a sudden fist.

 

 

With an echoing boom, the doors to the throne room slammed shut.

19