VOLUME 7 : Chapter – 2 : HOW I WISHED (2)
1.6k 2 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Would like to thank our new patrons:

  • Teeto tuto
  •  

To read 5 new chapters in advance and support me in writing this novel becoming a Patreon is highly appreciated.

Patreon page - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

 

Chapter – 2

HOW I WISHED (2)

 

PORT TOWN OF GILDE

 

Alicia and Regis woke up to the nearby passengers’ chatter. They could see that others had already started arranging their luggage, which meant they were finally about to reach their destination.

 

The caravan had now lined themselves on the top of the hill. Alicia and Regis peeked out from the cart and found they were now traveling on a steep road and the view opened up to them.

 

“Alicia, look! It’s the ocean! And ships! And a town!” Regis exclaimed in delight at the sight that spread out below them. The deep-blue sea could be seen extending beyond the horizon as far as eyes could take them.

 

“Yeah. The ocean’s so big! And blue.” Alicia smiled.

 

Alicia also felt a sense of accomplishment. She was back on the road to finding Athena and the next step was reaching the human continent. But once they reached the town she knew there were things they needed to look for first.

 

“Ooh, I can’t wait to get there. The weather is so nice and relaxing.” Regis after sleeping through a bumpy ride in the cart found the air in the mountains revitalizing.

 

“So, that’s Gilde, our next stop.”

 

A seaside town was now clearly visible below the hill. The morning mist in the mountains had also cleared and it washed the earth clean leaving an earthly fragrance to follow around with the nose.

 

The city’s port could already be seen crowded with the number of cargos being unloaded on the deck from the docked ships.

 

Some ships ferried and left the port with the advent of the high tides into the vast ocean. They were not the metallic ships, but the long wood ones that Alicia had been looking forward to seeing up close. For now, all she could do was wonder at the size of the ships with their mast almost reaching the sky.

 

Now the caravan had reached the gates of the town because all the passengers were ordinary people. Alicia and Regis got a safe passage through the checkpoint. Also, because their respective weapons were in their storage skill, so no one doubted them for a moment.

 

The two girls were now wearing matching cloaks, partly to protect them from the sun and to walk unnoticed. Since someone like Caige could have easily pointed out Regis’s noble birth through their attire. They did not want to take the risk of being found out again.

 

As they walked down the path in silence, Regis mumbled to herself. “It would have been much easier for our search if we moved separately.”

 

Alicia and Regis were already actively looking for signs that could help them find the culprit who ordered the kidnapping. The one they so cautiously called ⸺The Doctor.

 

“Okay. That’s fine with me,” Alicia responded to Regis’s thoughtless remark.

 

“But. But... What if you get lost again? There are also a lot of outlaws in this area. Will you be really fine by yourself?” Regis spoke with all seriousness.

 

“The place seems awfully normal, considering. Because it is a port town, security will be good here.” Alicia assumed as she smiled at Regis and tried to calm her down.

 

“Don’t be so optimistic.”

 

“It will be just fine. This is gonna be a breeze and we will soon be boarding one of the ships after we have thwarted the culprit that troubled Caige and Maia.” Alicia sounded most confident in their mission.

 

“I swear...” Regis sighed wearily at the answer, which was somehow even sillier than she’d expected. She looked up at the sky, lamenting that talking to her traveling companion was like talking to a five-year-old.

 

“Aww... Why’re you being so cold?” Alicia pleaded with Regis to search for clues in the city on their own almost making it sound like a competition.

 

“Fine do as you please. But promise we will meet as soon as one of us finds out something important.”

 

“I promise. You shouldn’t worry Regis; my search magic will find you no matter where you go.” Alicia promised Regis.

 

“Alright, then let's meet here after two hours. See you later.”

 

Regis went running off as she looked back only to find Alicia waiting for her to leave and waving her off with her hands. The baby-faced Alicia wasn’t discouraged in the least to separate in a foreign land.

 

However the same could not have been said for Regis. It was impossible to tell from the way Regis became so attached to Alicia, but the two of them had only known each other for about a week.

 

The moment they first met; Alicia was strangely fond of Regis. And now all Regis wanted to do was spend time wandering around the town together with Alicia and enjoy new places.

 

But she too couldn’t forgo the events that happened in the Plum town and the reason children were being abducted and maltreated.

 

She was determined to find the culprit and after that, she could enjoy her time with Alicia.

 

***

 

ALICIA ASCALON ASHBORN

 

Now I was on my own as I roamed around the town freely. Hitting from one street to another.

 

The reddish-brown outline of the buildings was decidedly jagged. The salt breeze from the sea had worn down the cliffs into a strange shape.

 

Okay, I guess it’s time for city exploration. I decided myself.

 

“I am going to surprise Regis by finding the mastermind's whereabouts before she does and surprise her. Then Regis would surely understand my potential of finding trouble, I just know it.”

 

Wait, that came out somewhat wrong.

 

But if the end result remains favorable I guess the process for now does not matter that much. Anyway, I am sure after that Regis would stop treating me like a kid.

 

“Guess, I should start by learning my way around the town.”

 

I visited the town square, the marketplace, and wherever the road took me. But I could also see the place seemed a bit desolate for a flourishing trading town.

 

People were awfully quiet and wary of each other. As usual, there were very few kids around the town. Not like all of them had vanished, most probably some series of troublesome incidents were causing them to all stay at home.

 

Well at least at present it could be concluded that the city is not safe enough to have laughing children running without supervision.

 

Lost in thoughts, I worriedly went past the crowd, and without noticing I was already walking in the sparse and dully lit parts of the town.

 

I looked around and it appeared to be the slums of the city. I gulped at the sight of the humans that walked these places. Most of them had shady appearances and passed disgusted looks at each other.

 

A child like me walking into the slums without care… Even looking at one of them felt like they would chew me up and suck on my bone.  

 

“Wow, It’s like a perfect depiction of a seedy underworld.” I could care less about my own safety. While one part of the town is a thriving market the other is a slum.

 

Buildings were closely packed with each other, creating intricately complex narrow alleyways. Maybe that’s how one describes a sketchy side of the town and because of that this time Regis would have to forgive me for getting lost again.

 

Maybe this is also the time I should seek Regis’s help. I thought for a while.

 

“…. Nope. I have changed my mind. At times like these, it makes more sense to look at places like these first, right.” I hummed.

 

If I retreat now, she would make fun of me. I know I am poking my nose in dangerous business but it is the time I actually act responsible and grown up.

 

Also, I remembered Caige’s advice to look for an information broker or someone who could tell the dark secrets of the town. I am sure many people of that description would prefer to dwell in such a place.

 

“All I need is to find…”

 

“Haha… Look now, what do we have here? Why would a kid alone be snooping around such a dangerous place? Did no one warn you, little girl?”

 

A group of people suddenly approached me out of nowhere.

 

I didn’t think I would get myself caught in something so quickly like this. But I guess⸺

 

“I found them.” I cheered at my good luck and success.

 

“This might be a golden chance for us. Just see a girl walking in our trap.” Another hooligan spoke.

 

Wait! It was a trap but I waked in by accident. Maybe I got too happy a bit sooner.

 

A total of five men armed and again could be described as the ideal picture of bandits armed with weapons.

 

“Excuse me. I seem to have gotten lost can you please tell me the way out of this place.” I asked politely.

 

“Hahaaa. Don’t act smart. The whole town is now looking for an escaped girl in bandages. You should know better than ask help from us because we are dangerous people.” Another bandit refused to help me.

 

“She has got a pretty voice. Let’s just pack her up in bandage and deliver her to the boss. I am sure we can rip him off with a huge bonus for catching such a gem.”

 

These outlaws had me surrounded and brandished their weapons while another prepared ropes and a sack.

 

“It would do you good to surrender and despair. We will do our best not to hurt you.” One of the bad guys offered me salvation in pain.

 

I watched them approaching me as they made sure I did not try to run.

 

“…And what if I refuse?” I asked in a cold voice.

 

“She is so afraid that her legs have frozen. Foolish girl, maybe we should teach you a lesson first and I am telling ya’ you won’t like it.” The man who said it showed a lecherous smile.

 

“Just look at that mask, it seems to be expensive. I will make sure to not leave a scratch by mistake when I steal it.” Another of the bandits spoke foolishly as they tried to corner me.

 

It was a good strategy to put me in front of the wall and surround me from everywhere leaving no space to run or for someone to see from far away.

 

But who is planning to run, again?

 

While they laughed at me, the man ran straight with his knife most probably aiming for my shoulder to make me vulnerable.

 

The attack was too simple, so I shifted to my left and dodged it.

 

“What are you flitting around for?” the disgruntled criminal spoke as he looked back at me unhurt by his charge attack.

 

“If I ask you to stop doing this, will you still kidnap children and sell them to slavery?”

 

“So, you actually know about us? We cannot let you go now and tell the guards about us can we?”

 

“You did a big mistake. But we are not just a few outlaws. There are hundreds like us in the town and there is no escape.”

 

“Then I guess I will just have to eliminate every one of them if they do not change their ways.”

 

“What did you say?” The bandit who had attacked me previously said in a loud voice as he straightforwardly charged at me again with his knife.

 

I lifted my hand at him.

 

[DISMANTLE]

 

The next moment the criminal existed no more as the body burst from inside out, His insides spilling and the same reduced to even finer bits.

 

Looking at the red fluid staining the wall with crimson splattered, a squeal of fear escapes from one of the lips.

 

"......!? Wh, what just happened......!" One of the outlaws panicked and screamed as he closed his nose to avoid the stench of the blood while another bit his own hand.

 

Don’t just stand there. Kill her.” One of the still headstrong members and others held their weapons tight and came at me together. Hoping to win against me by numbers was meaningless against my magic.

 

“So you are going to do it despite my refusal, then I have no way I can let this go.”

 

[DISMANTLE]

 

Lowering my hand, the moans and screams of the men nearby vanished entirely.

 

As usual, I was calm and relaxed to know that no one saw it happening.

 

The sight of bloody walls, red pool on the ground, and divided flesh before my eyes did not make me flinch a bit nor feel any guilt. It was better than allowing them to continue hurting others or making another victim in the future.

 

To be exact such a scene was not something new to me as I had grown accustomed to it while fighting all kinds of monsters in the labyrinth.

 

Slowly watching the remains devoured by the black gluttonous spinning webs and the place being restored to its original condition. And a bit cleaner too.

 

***

 

 

PORT TOWN OF GILDE

 

Regis now walked on streets darker than before. She had been exploring the city on her own and at her own pace. It was something new to her as she was visiting another town other than her home country Ascalon’s Capital city.

 

 "Well—It sure is the right choice to come today." Naturally showing a smile Regis felt the cool breeze caress her cheeks. Her sun-skimmed red hairs wanting to lose free dangled to the side in which the wind blew.

 

After Regis and Alicia had heard that the kidnapped children were to be delivered here they followed as quickly as possible to catch the mastermind. Regis was thankful to Alicia for deviating from her goal for a bit and so she was required to work harder to bring them back together on track for finding that one important person to Alicia.

 

But the town was big and searching would be difficult. So they had decided to take the slow and steady approach and split up.

 

Regis had walked a fair distance around town and had learned several things. Recently her control over magic power had been increasing and she became sensitive to the changes in the nature of wind. Making her much more susceptible to hearing and other foreign stimulus elements.

 

“Maybe it’s time to review what I’ve managed to learn and then I can meet up with Alicia. I am going to be very angry if she is not back at our rendezvous point by now.” Regis ran at full speed back to the place where the two decided to separate.

.

“And she is not, here. Huhhh.” Regis sighed not finding Alicia at the same place she told them to meet. She was getting tired and hungry but she did not plan on having breakfast without her friend.

 

Suddenly Regis felt a surge in magical power and her senses drew her towards it. Regis knew she had grown sensitive to Alicia’s magical power and her instincts asked her to follow it.

 

Running through the streets, she also noted down a place where she could smell good food and she knew she had to be there the next time they pass through.

 

Soon, Regis found herself in the back alleys of the street and the slum.

 

“So, she really got lost again. No matter, I will find her and show her that she is still a kid while I become in charge.” Regis planning in her mind looks around the place until she finds a girl peacefully standing in the middle of one such closed alley.

 

A fleeting scent of death gave Regis a chill.

 

“Al... Alicia.” Regis said with her eyebrows knitted together.

 

“I am sorry Regis you had to trouble yourself for finding me.”

 

The figure turned back her head and Regis’s expression relaxes to see it was Alicia.

 

Regis quietly walks forward and Alicia felt like they could have an emotional reunion but on the contrary.

 

“Is it impossible for you to stay at one place.. and for once not wander off?” Regis screamed.

 

“You don’t have to be that strict. I was just trying to help out and increase the efficiency of our mission.”

 

“And how is that?” Regis demanded an explanation.

 

“Eh…Yes. By using myself as bait to lure out bad people.” Alicia desperately looks around and comes up with a reason on spot.

 

“I see. So what did you find out then?”

 

“How about you tell me first about your findings and then we can compare them with my report.” Alicia excuses herself with a strained face.

 

“Oh! So listen carefully. In the past four months people have been hearing strange cries from the wasteland in the north. Also, monsters of bizarre nature and shapes have been appearing on the edge of the town’s wall. And people especially children have been going missing in town lately.” Regis looks at Alicia with supremacy.

 

“Sounds like this place is apparently a lot less secure than it looks. I am impressed you were able to know so many things about here in such a short amount of time.”

 

“Yeah. I had been working hard while someone was acting too carefree.”

 

“Sounds like you had a tough time. I am very grateful.” Alicia tried her best to be humble.

 

“So tell me what you have found?” Regis smirked at Alicia as she came closer to her face to face making her bent and submit to her.

 

Alicia looked around hoping to find anything important to say. But she knew if she spoke of how good the weather was, Regis might blast her into the sea right at that moment. So, she had better be careful.

 

But then Regis noticed a slight change in Alicia's expression. Her gaze sharpened. Her eye balls shifted to either side as if she was listening to someone speak.

 

“…Are you sure?” Alicia whispered.

 

“What are you saying? Don’t try to make up any excuses now? If you want I will forgi…”

 

Alicia suddenly stood up from her bent position and started running past Regis.

 

“Hey don’t just run away. I will not be angry.” Regis too started running behind her knowing that Alicia wouldn’t stop.

 

The buildings here were much larger and older than those they had just left behind, the roads nearly empty of people. Regis could hear the soothing burble of water coming from a stone-lined waterway built into the ground. But Alicia kept on running from one corner of the street to another as if someone was directing her to.

 

“Is it this way…?” Alicia took another turn and they found a dump yard kind of place.

 

The place stinks but it also did the job of keeping people away from this place.

 

A pile of boxes was thrown and clustered on the side. But Regis could also see that their position was unnatural. The marks of the dust and the edges of the boxes were not the same.

 

It would mean only one thing someone had moved them intentionally.

 

Alicia started shifting the boxes and before Regis could ask for a reason she looked at Alicia’s concerned face. For outside people because of her mask and a constant expression it would had been impossible to say.

 

But Regis had started helping out without any questions.

 

And when they removed the second bottom layer, Alicia’s and Regis’s hands stopped. Because under the boxes they found a girl lying wrapped in bandages from the leg to the neck. only her face was the part that was unveiled.

 

Regis was speechless while Alicia could also remember what the outlaws had to say about finding a girl in bandages. And it could have been possible they were talking about her.

 

Looking carefully her body was fragile and currently unconscious. She had short brown hair and pale skin. With the nose and heat that might have flown to her body, the girl woke up.

 

Her eyes opened to the light and in front, she saw two figures. But her vision was still adjusting while her voice failed her too. She can’t bring herself to stand, only able to lie there on the cold ground. Her legs were scraped and bleeding because for how long she had walked barefoot the entire night.

 

“A lost girl. Why here?” Regis anxiously spoke.

 

Reflexively, the girl in the bandage looked up. Their eyes met. Her golden yellow eyes looked directly into a pair of shining red ones, containing nothing but warmth. She knew her consciousness was interrupted by her weakness. So she needed to do something fast.

.

What do you wish?

…me… I don’t know but I want to live.

 

With a small gasp she opened her mouth and with her dry lips she spoke her first words, “Help me.”

 

She knew nothing of what she should believe in? And yet she made her first wish.

 

“Sure, you got it,” Alicia replied waiting for any other response from the lost girl.

 

The girl faints again in Alicia and Regis’s arms. Regis worriedly looks for any sign of a wound just in case but she was clean. Though the question of bandages still remained, if she was not hurt. She looks at Alicia for answers as she coldly analyzed the girl in her hand as if she had already realized something about the girl.

 

Alicia looks back at Regis who was staring at her.

 

“Regis see I found something too.” Alicia grinned.

 

***

{Next Chapter - SHE'S SO UNUSUAL - Click here }

 

Hello Readers,

Its the start of the month and I wanted to inform all of you that now you can read 5 chapters in advance on my Patreon page and support me there. Also, volume 6.5 chapters are being posted with first arc complete.

Do check it out.

Patreon page Link - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

Do think of supporting me there.

 

Join discord community - https://discord.com/invite/WUGFUxbpbd

34