Arc XI Chapter 3
2.8k 17 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XI


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc XI Chapter 3


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


The noble life of a cat princess was indeed an arduous and stressful one. Her imperial duties encompassed important tasks such as taking periodic naps and consuming various treats. It was a heavy burden for a young princess like her, but despite her tender age, Katsuki had never shrunk away from her onerous duties. Thus, she was entitled to a little reward in her free time, such as playing with a ball of soft and woollen spirit yarn. Her tiny paws were kneading her spirit yarn, which provided her a lot of fun. Her wonderful yarn was so soft and fluffy. It was wonderful. It was heaven. It was perfect for a kitten like her. Katsuki bounced out of inner joy. The kitten in her relished the joyous moment and continued playing with her personal yarn, pressing her paws against the spirit wool. Now the palace just needed to supply her with a large amount of finest catnip, then she could die happily on the spot and without regrets.

 

“Yarn~. Yarn~. Yarn~. Yarn~. Yarn~.” Her paws cherished her wonderful yarn. “Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~.”

 

“Ahem, Princess Katsuki.”

 

“Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~.” Katsuki was playing with her yarn.

 

“Princess Katsuki!”

 

“Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~. Nya~.” Katsuki loved yarn. In fact, entagled in yarn. Help!

 

“Princess Katsuki!!!”

 

“Waaaa!!!” Katsuki jumped up in shock, surprised by the sudden appearance of an unknown visitor. Her gaze fell on her visitor and fellow cat. It was one of her mother's courtiers, one of her trusted ministers. He was clad in silken garbs and long elaborate robes. “Lord Hideo, what are you doing here in the human world?”

 

Lord Hideo cleared his throat and offered a polite bow. “Princess Katsuki, my apologies for the sudden intrusion, but time is unfortunately of the essence, Your Highness. Your mother, the Empress, has dispatched me to inform you that you are with immediate effect summoned back to the imperial throne. The clan is facing a crisis of major proportions. Her Majesty asks for your presence and that of your summoner. Prepare and journey back to the spirit world. All further information is contained in this scroll.”

 

Lord Hideo handed Katsuki a scroll boasting the golden paw seal. It was the imperial seal of the cat clan.“We hope you won't disappoint us, Your Highness. The clan is counting on you, Princess Katsuki.” 

 

Lord Hideo disappeared in a cloud of smoke, while Katsuki stared at her scroll. This was troublesome ... All of cathood was in grave danger, nya~.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Yuki was pursuing her studies diligently. It wasn't the academy and her homework though that kept her busy. Oh, no, the academy was negligible at best in terms of workload, not to say completely irrelevant. No, it was the personal curriculum that Nee-san had devised for her that truly tested her mental faculties to the utmost. Nee-san's curriculum was unyielding and unforgiving, brutal and merciless, consisting of a veritable avalanche of incomprehensible tomes, verbose treatises, and lengthy essays. So much reading. So many complicated words. Her head was spinning.

 

The Prince. On the Matter, Form and Power of the State. An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. The Spirit of Law. The National System of Political Economy. The Ethics and the Spirit of Capitalism. Economy and Society: The Foundations of Interpretive Sociology. Politics as a Vocation. The Art of War. On War. This was an entire library ... 

 

“I can't ... take it ... any ... more.” Yuki despaired, banging her forehead against her desk. Nee-san's curriculum was killing her. Nee-san was killing her. 

 

This was too much ... Too many books ... Too much text ... Too much studying ... Couldn't someone please kill her? Why was Nee-san torturing her with all of this? Why did Nee-san want her to read all of this? So much politics ... So much economy ... So much sociology ... So much warfare ...

 

“Yuki-chan~.” Katsuki appeared, jumping from the ground up onto the desk.

 

Yuki was still resting her head on the desk. “Oh, Katsuki, what brings you here?

 

Katsuki was sitting before her in full feline grace, dangling her tail from side to side. Yuki-san, I beseech you to lend me your hand. The cat clan needs your help.”

 

Yuki furrowed an eyebrow. “I don't understand ...” 

 

Katsuki took the word. “Our clan is currently facing a threatening crisis. Thus, my mother, the Empress, has summoned me to return to the palace, together with my summoner. The only issue is that I doubt that I am capable of convincing Asami-sama on my own. I fear that she will reject my pleas, so can you please me help to persuade her, Yuki-san.”

 

“...” Yuki blinked in confusion.

 

“Pleashe~.” Katsuki was begging with her paws and deployed her big round kitten eyes.

 

“Huh ...” Yuki sighed before picking Katsuki up to pat her. “Don't worry, I will see what I can do.”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


The sound of door knocking resounded through the room. Asami turned her attention away from her desk to the sliding door. Her voice was firm. “Enter.”

 

The sliding door opened, and a familiar face entered, much to Asami's delight. Her lips formed a smile and her face brightened up. It was Yuki with Katsuki held in her arms. “Nee-san~, can you spare time for me?”

 

Asami put her pen aside. Her work was forced to rest. “Of course, Yuki-chan, what brings you to your beloved Nee-san? How are your studies progressing?”

 

Yuki nodded. “They are progressing well so far, Nee-san.”

 

Asami smiled and folded her hands behind her desk. “I am glad to hear so. Do you want some sweets? I can offer you some chocolates.”

 

Yuki shook her head. “No, thank you, Nee-san. That is not why I am here. I need your help, Nee-san. Or rather, we need your help. Katsuki needs you.” Her arms raised Katsuki forwards.

 

Asami furrowed an eyebrow. Her eyes wandered to her domestic pat and most fluffy kitten. “So Her Highness needs something from me?”

 

The kitten nodded. “I do, Asami-sama.”

 

Asami leaned back in her chair, her eyes focused. “Then speak. What does your heart desire, little kitten princess?”

 

Katsuki cleared her throat. “I am speaking on the behalf of the imperial household and my clan.”

 

Asami giggled.“Oh, even on the behalf of your entire clan. I guess I must feel honoured.”

 

“We need your help, Asami-sama. The clan is in grave danger. Threats are emerging from the shadows, and misfortune is befalling us. We need your wisdom and strength, Asami-sama, to guide us through these tempestuous times.”

 

“Oh my, what eloquent words coming from the lips of the crown princess herself. I guess that you must be really desperate to ask an outsider for help, aren't you?”

 

“...” Katsuki hesitated before nodding.

 

“...”Asami contemplated her options before arriving at a decision. “It is unfortunate, Your Highness, but sadly I am currently occupied. My duties never rests, and work never ceases. I have already arranged for a diplomatic mission heading for the Land of Iron. It would be a diplomatic affront to the shogun to postpone our visit on such a short notice. We cannot afford to insult his personage without compromising our negotiations and relationships. You have my sympathies, Your Highness, but I cannot help you.”

 

Disappointment was written all over Katsuki's face. Her whiskers sunk downwards and her ears deflated. “But ... But ...”

 

Asami sighed. “As said, I am currently occupied. I sympathise with your situation, but I cannot neglect my duties.”

 

“But Nee-san~.” Yuki stepped in. “What about all the kittens in danger? Think about all the kittens~. They need you, Nee-san~.”

 

Yuki deployed her ultimate secret weapon, her big, round hopeful kitten eyes and fluffy cheeks. Katsuki joined her. Two pairs of hopeful kitten eyes were now staring at her, eroding her resistance.

 

Asami massaged her temples in annoyance. “Listen, Yuki, I would love to ...” Out of nowhere, a sudden lightning of inspiration struck. An idea formed.

 

A dangerous smirk crossed Asami's lips. “Yuki, I think I have an idea. What if you accompany Katsuki in my stead?”

 

“What?” Yuki reacted surprised.

 

“What?” Katsuki seconded her sentiment.

 

Asami beamed, convinced of her brilliant idea. “It would solve so many problems at once. I don't need to postpone my visit to the Land of Iron. Katsuki gets her help. And you, Yuki, you finally get some time away from your tomes and studies. I am sure that you must be tired of seeing them, aren't you?”

 

Yuki hesitated. “... Well, to a certain degree, yes.”

 

“Fabulous.” Asami beamed. “Then it is decided, Yuki, you will accompany Katsuki on her little kitten adventure. I am sure it will be fun.”

 

Yuki and Katsuki exchanged confused looks. This was an outcome that neither of them had expected.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

75