Arc XII Chapter 2
1.1k 17 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XII


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc XII Chapter 2


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


His hosts didn't make Kakashi wait for long. Accompanied by a set of guards, he was escorted through Amegakure, heading straight for the Hattori clan compound. He was apparently awaited there.

 

They reached the manor and eventually the designated room. The security was tight as expected. There were guards everywhere. They were the same ninja as before. Clad in black and grey.

 

Kakashi entered the room. He was greeted by his hosts with open arms, literally.

 

The man smiled, sitting on the floor on his cushion. “Welcome Hatake Kakashi, ninja of Konoha. I am Hattori Masanari, head of the Hattori clan. What brings you here all the way to Amegakure?”

 

Kakashi knelt, bowing to offer his respect. “Greetings Lord Masanari. As you might know, I was sent in the name of Konoha. I am here to deliver a scroll.” His hand deposited the scroll. A servant quickly arrived to hand it over to Lord Masanari.

 

Lord Masanari accepted the scroll and broke the seal to read its contents.

 

“Hmm, ...

 

I see ...

 

How curious ...”

 

Lord Masanari closed the scroll, returning his undivided once again to him. “From what I can gather, Konoha asks us whether we would like to participate in the next chunin exams. I still need to discuss this matter with the council, but it shouldn't be much of a problem. Unless there are any complications, we should be able to send one team or two.” 

 

“I see.” Kakashi nodded.

 

Lord Masanari maintained his polite smile, the smile of a diplomat. “Was this everything, Kakashi, or is there anything else Konoha seeks from us?”

 

Kakashi lowered his gaze. “It is, but if I am allowed a question, Lord Masanari.”

 

“Oh, of course, go on, Kakashi.” Lord Masanari wasn't seem bothered at all.

 

Kakashi took the opportunity. “If I might ask, what happened to Lord Hanzo?”

 

The temperature in the room fell instantly, but not Lord Masanari's mood. His smile didn't falter in the slightest. “What a curious question, but understandable your foreign background and the rumours floating around these days. I presume you believe him dead, but you are mistaken, Kakashi. Lord Hanzo is still among us. It is just that the tooth of time has taken a toll on him. Age doesn't spare anybody, not even the strongest. Thus, Lord Hanzo has decided to withdraw from the world of politics for his remaining days. In his stead, it falls to me and the rest of the Hattori clan to take a more active role now.” 

 

“I understand”, Kakashi nodded. He understood. Whether Lord Masanari's words were a lie or the truth was another matter entirely. He had his doubts, but it was better to not question him. “I will take my leave now, Lord Masanari. I have already claimed enough of your precious time.”

 

Lord Masanari agreed, “You may.”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Flanked by another retinue of watchful guards, Kakashi navigated through the mansion of the Hattori on his way to leave. So this was how his journey to Amegakure ended. He arrived with more questions than answers. And he left with even more questions than answers ...

 

A sillhouette. A shadow. A familiar presence. A fairy. It was brief, but for a single fleeting moment, his senses caught from the corner of his eyes her figure, the figure of a lone girl striding through these venerable halls. Her black, silken hair. Her pale, fair complexion. Her faint, beatific voice. The confident smile gracing her ruby lips. The regal and imperial aura accompanying her every step.

 

Kakashi halted immediately, frozen to the spot. Wasn't this ... But it was already too late. Just like this the girl had already vanished, disappeared, never to be seen again by mortal eyes. Only meant for the fraction of a moment, the mysterious girl was no more. As if the girl had only been a figment of his imagination, an illusion. Never real to begin with.

 

His guards stopped, halting. One of them addressed him, his tone harsh. “Is something the matter, Konoha-nin?”

 

Kakashi shook his head, dismissing his thoughts. “It's ... nothing.” It was probably just a feeling. Just his mind playing a trick on him in his old days. Nothing more.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

32