Arc V Chapter 9
5.5k 5 165
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

V


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc V Chapter 9


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“Where do we start?” Asami tried to gain some time. Totally unprepared, she replaced Fumihiko, not the brightest idea in retrospect. Regretfully, she had manoeuvred herself into an unfavourable position. 

 

Her eyes stared at the wall, studying the tactical map of Konoha. It was full of unit counters and coloured arrows. The map reminded her of a board game, with the only difference being that they were playing with the lives of real people, and not of imaginary armies. The loss of a single counter meant the death of hundreds of ninja. Vanquished, slaughtered, but such had to be expected. When Konoha called, they answered.

 

Fumihiko stood behind her, following her stare. “...”

 

Asami cleared her throat, “Ahem, well, unfortunately for us, the village council has decided to allocate less resources to this operation than I requested. Instead of eight regular battalions, the council gave us ten, which is a sizeable force. At least, on paper. The problem is six of the ten battalions are reserve units of dubious quality, mostly composed of fresh genin with minimal combat experience. They are beyond useless, canon fodder at best.” There was dissatisfaction in her voice.

 

Fumihiko chimed in, “Well, that might be true, but look at the bright side, the Hokage promised us some additional support in exchange. He promised us two full ANBU battalions.”

 

Asami didn't share his enthusiasm. Her voice remained strained. “The Hokage didn't promise us anything, Fumihiko. It was Danzo who pledged his support and decided to mobilise his men. The two battalions are Danzo’s men.”

 

She had every reason to be suspicious. They were former Root ANBU. They Danzo’s men. Their loyalty was dubious at best. She knew Root, and she knew Danzo. Danzo would never offer his help without a reason. The old man was planning something behind her back. The only question was what?

 

“Danzo’s men? Is that bad?” Fumihiko raised an eyebrow, not much to her surprise. Fumihiko didn't know Danzo. He didn't know the rumours, the stories. The people who knew the dark side of Konoha were few outside the ANBU.

 

Shibi and Tsune, meanwhile, were different. The mere mention of the name Danzo sufficed to make them tense up. They obviously knew more due to their involvement in clan politics. They were familiar with Danzo and the reputation that preceded him. How much they knew, however, was a different question altogether.

 

Asami clicked her tongue. “Oh, not at all, Fumihiko, not bad at all. After all, Danzo is undoubtedly a paragon of true virtue.”

 

“...” Fumihiko blinked. He didn't understand. Not that she cared.

 

Danzo, Root, useless genin. So much hassle. The council provided her with plenty of inexperienced genin cannon fodder. They lacked the necessary cohesion to hold the line without a blocking detachment behind them. And now the council gave her two battalions full of Root ANBU who were about to do whatever behind her back when she wasn't looking. Wonderful, simply wonderful. What she needed now was a solution. A good solution.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

165