Chapter 46: Concerns And Curiosity
1.3k 3 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


***

(Third Person.)

As the sun shone its brightest inside the kingdom of Inizio, inside the castle at the office of the king's adviser, Herbert Conroy.

He was currently standing while looking out from the glass window beside his office chair when someone knocked on the door.

After a few seconds, clad with full-body armor, the knight captain, Callan Adelaide emerged from the door.

Herbert briefly veered his eyes on him and returned outside of the glass window. "Have any of them decided to talk yet?"

Callan shook his head. "I did everything I could, to the point that I offered them a huge amount of reward and assurance of protection, but none of them even considered my offer. Some of them decided to go home without saying a word."

"103 escaped slaves and not a single one of them decided to talk? How's that possible?"

"Even I can't believe what's happening, most of them are from middle to high-class nobility from another kingdom and boast such uncomparable pride before they get abducted. I didn't expect them to not hesitate to refuse the opportunity of getting revenge on those who enslaved them."

Herbert stared at Callan. "They're too afraid to talk, they have seen something worth fearing their life for." He sat on his chair and put his hand on the table. "It doesn't matter, we already have an idea of where they came from. However, the only thing that bothers me is, why did they decide to release them? Releasing a slave is the riskiest thing to do, especially when the slave came from a noble family. If you did, you should prepare for a war-level retaliation. But 103? Is their ruler trying to say something?"

Callan paused for a second and nodded. "That's exactly what I'm thinking."

Herbert put his hand on his chin. "Besides the fact that we have a decent relationship with that place, you know that the only thing stopping us from taking back the slaves from that place since their abducting operations started 3 years ago is because we don't want the wrath of the shadow fairy to get unleashed to us. She's extremely dangerous, however, for a reason that I couldn't comprehend, our king himself somehow respects her so much." He narrowed his eyes. "What is she trying to do?"

"What do you think we should do, Sir Herbert?"

"We can't do anything about this. If none of them wanted to talk, we can't force them to. Besides, even if they talk or not, this news will explode and sooner or later will point to that violent town. But so long as the hero won't make any move, I don't think any of the kingdoms will initiate any kind of retaliation, or else, they will face the rage of the ruler of the lawless town of Agrona, Tanya Latora. And no sane king would want to fight that catastrophe for such minor reason as escaped slaves."

"I see."

"However, Callan, I have a task for you."

"Let me hear it, Sir Herbert."

"Rally your team and investigate the current state of the lawless town of Agrona. Those released slaves, there are more on it than we already know. I don't think slaves could easily escape from that place, especially, knowing what kind of individuals governing that place. Something changed in that place and I need you to know what it is."

Callan nodded. "I understand, I'll immediately-"

"I'll do it."

The door of the office suddenly opened and a person emerged from it. His silky smooth red hair swayed as he walked towards Herbert and faced him with such a proud smile in his red perfectly shaped lips that greatly rounded out his gem-like green eyes and seemingly delicate and white face. Such an elegant face, as if it was sculptured to fit on his title.

He's wearing a long-sleeved white tunic with buttons open to his chest under his black richly embellished black cloak with gray furs on the shoulder and neck. Along with black trousers and black leather shoes.

Herbert closed his eyes and exhaled before facing him. "I didn't know that you had finally arrived from the academy, Prince Dieter."

Prince Dieter clicked his finger on the other hand while still leaning his other hand on the table. "I just arrived. I have decided to come here because I couldn't find my father, it's been six months since the last time we've met."

"His majesty went on a kingdom meeting in the kingdom of Milana, I'm afraid it will take the king long to come back."

"It doesn't matter, I already have something to do while he's away. The lawless town of Agrona, right? Sounds like a fun place to go."

"It's a dangerous place for you to go, Prince Dieter." Callan proclaimed.

Prince Dieter veered his eyes on him and chuckled. "Oh, look who's here. I didn't notice that you were there until you decided to speak." He tapped Callan's armored shoulder. "My old friend, Callan. By the way, I heard the sad story. You have my condolences for the death of your cousin. What's his name again? The one who disdained demi-humans so much he ironically died while chasing one?"

"Miguel, and he is not my cousin, he's just an acquaintance of mine."

He repeatedly nodded. "Really? I thought you were close relatives, that's why you helped him easily climb up to his rank. Too bad he died because of it. What a stroke of bad luck isn't it?"

Callan didn't reply and just closed his eyes.

"Good. Now leave everything to me. I'll go investigate that little town on my own, and who knows, maybe I could manage to put them on a leash and set them under our grip. I'm sick of hearing news about them doing whatever they want with my father not doing anything about it."

Herbert stood up. "That place is dangerous, Prince Dieter."

"I'll take some knights with me and don't ever send another party to follow me. Or else, you already know what will happen."

Prince Dieter walked out of the room, leaving the 2 just shaking their heads.

Herbert exhaled and massaged his forehead. "We can't stop him now. Follow the prince and ensure his safety."

Callan nodded. "I understand."

"The lawless town of Agrona is never a good place for a proud prince to go to."

48