22. Exploited
1.1k 5 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So how were the fireworks? How was the rest of the big party?" Grace asked.

I grimaced, "The fireworks were fun, the party went well? Amber's sister made a bit of a scene though. Um, she probably had too much to drink. Or something."

"Ah," she nodded. After a moment she added, "Sorry I left early. It was actually kind of fun? But my parents didn't want me out too late. They were leery about me being at a strange party with a bunch of people they don't know."

I didn't need my demonic intuition to tell me what she thought about that. I could hear the resentment and frustration in her voice just fine.

"Do they need to meet everyone you hang out with?" I asked. I was trying not to sound critical, like mostly I was curious how her parents expected that to work.

Grace sighed, "They'd be much happier if I limited myself to making friends with people at dad's church. So they'd know I was spending my time with the 'right' kind of person."

After a moment she added, "I doubt they'd have let me go to the party at all if I'd been invited by a boy. Just knowing there'd be guys there was the reason they wanted me home early."

I couldn't hide my smirk as I commented, "I'm guessing they don't know I'm gay then."

The attractive blonde smiled as well, "I'm sure they've never even considered the possibility that their 'perfect little girl' might be friends with a lesbian."

I suppressed a giggle at that, but it also left me feeling good to know she thought of me as a friend. Considering this was only the third time we'd hung out, we'd already come a long way from her quietly hating me at a distance.

Our conversation paused as we pulled into the parking lot then emerged from her car. It was about quarter after twelve on a Tuesday, and the two of us were going out for lunch. She'd texted me Monday afternoon and asked, and of course I agreed. She even let me pick the restaurant this time.

The place wasn't too crowded, but the waitress seated us at a booth which meant I needed a few moments to get my tail sorted out as I sat down.

Grace gave me a funny look as she watched, and this time she didn't just ignore it.

"Ok Mara, I have to ask," she said. Though she seemed a little reluctant, like she wasn't sure she really wanted to know the answer. "Every time you get into my car you spend a half minute wiggling your behind around. You did the same thing at the cafe last month, and you're doing it again now. But I don't remember seeing you do it when you sat on those plastic chairs at your party. So what's going on?"

I actually had an answer ready for a change. I'd already decided last week that 'telling the truth but like it was a joke' was one of my super-powers, so that's what I went with.

"I'm part demon," I replied with a smirk. "My horns and tail are invisible, but I have to adjust my tail when I sit down in a seat that's not tail-friendly? Our plastic patio chairs have gaps at the back so my tail has room to stick out, but car seats and these booths are awkward."

She frowned at me for a few seconds then finally smiled back at me. "I wonder what would upset my parents more? That I'm having lunch with a gay girl, or a demon spawn. Or maybe they don't think there's a difference."

I giggled but didn't respond yet as the waitress was back again with our drinks. Grace ordered a diet cola, and I got water as usual.

After the waitress left again the cute blonde asked, "So how does this work? Do we just go help ourselves?"

"Yeah!" I nodded with a grin. "There's plates at the buffet, you just grab whatever you like. And it's all you can eat, so we can go up as many times as we want? C'mon, I'll give you the tour!"

We both brought our purses with us as I led her over to the buffet. There were four kinds of pizza available, and two empty spots where the pizzas were already gone. I showed her the pasta and sauce, and the salad bar. And the sundae bar too.

I probably came across like a kid in a candy store, but I was having fun. Grace had never been to a place like this before, and I really hoped she'd like it. Even if the food wasn't posh and maybe wasn't the highest quality, I thought it was tasty.

My plate was soon loaded up with a couple different slices, and a scoop of pasta and marinara sauce. And Grace followed my lead, she took two slices and a bit of pasta, and she also got a piece of garlic toast.

Back at our booth I went through the whole thing with my tail again before I was comfortable, while Grace watched with a sort of quizzical look on her face. Then the two of us started eating.

"So what do you think?" I asked after a few bites. "I know it's not great, but it's kind of fun?"

She smiled, "It's fine Mara. And yes, it is kind of fun."

As we ate she commented, "My parents would never bring me and my sister to a place like this. My mom would say it was too pedestrian."

Grace punctuated that with an exaggerated eye-roll and continued, "We're by no means rich, but my mom's family was pretty well-off when she was growing up? And mom likes to pretend we're 'upper class', that's the image she likes to project. Then there's dad and his whole thing, as a priest he has to present a 'certain image' as well. So me and Felicity had it from both sides."

I grimaced, "That sounds kind of stressful? Though I guess everybody's got family stuff going on. When I was growing up this was kind of a special treat? My dad walked out on mom and me when I was five, so we never had much money. Mom did her best, but going out to a restaurant was a big deal. So we'd do stuff like this? Kind of a cheap way to fill up on a bunch of food we wouldn't get otherwise. Plus there's the sundae bar, which was a big treat on its own!"

"Things got better when I got older," I added. "Mom got a job at a fancy restaurant, the pay wasn't great but she got better tips and stuff? And last summer we got really super lucky, so things are a lot better now for both mom and me."

She grinned, "What happened last summer? You won the lottery?"

I blushed and said quietly, "Um, yeah. My mom did..."

"Oh!" Grace's eyes widened in surprise. "Well uh, congratulations."

"Thanks," I smiled.

We were both quiet for a bit as we ate, till I asked "So you're working with your uncle right?"

She rolled her eyes again and sighed, "Yeah. Sort of."

"Uh-oh," I frowned. "That doesn't sound too good."

"I thought it would be an opportunity to learn more about photography?" She sounded upset as she continued, "That was the whole point. That's what I'm studying, that's what I want to do as a career, and he's a professional photographer. Instead he's got me doing menial chores and office work. Answering the phone, sweeping the floor, fetching him coffee. He won't let me assist him on a shoot, whether it's in the studio or out at a client's location. He actually told me not to even bother bringing my camera in, he said I wouldn't need it? I thought he meant I'd be working with his gear. Instead the only equipment I'm operating is a broom or a coffee machine."

She scowled as she lowered her voice, "He's not even paying me minimum wage. I accepted a reduced rate thinking it would be like an apprenticeship? Except instead of advancing my education he's just taking advantage of me while saving a few dollars an hour by not hiring an actual staffer to handle the menial stuff. I could have got the same sort of job and at least made money over the summer. Or not bothered with work, and spent my time taking pictures and working on my art."

"Fuck," I frowned. "So why not just quit?"

Grace sighed, "He is my father's brother, and he attends my father's church. If I quit, I'd never hear the end of it."

"Couldn't you tell your parents he's taking advantage of you? Like tell them the stuff you just told me, so they understand he's ripping you off."

"I wouldn't be surprised if they already knew," she said quietly. "Or even if they didn't, they'd make a point about respecting my elders or something. The bottom line is it'd make my uncle look bad if people found out he was exploiting me. And that would make my father look bad, and my parents won't allow that to happen. So they'd make it out like I was ungrateful for the opportunity, or they'd make it sound like I was too lazy to put in the effort or something like that."

She added, "Plus my uncle could probably ruin my chances of getting work with another photography studio in the future? He could make up some excuses, maybe tell people he fired me for being incompetent rather than let on that I quit."

I felt myself getting angry and frustrated for her.

"That's bullshit," I stated. "If there's anything I can do to help, let me know ok?"

"Thanks Mara," she gave me a forced smile. "I appreciate the support, and to be honest it feels good to be able to share this with you? Just getting it off my chest helps."

"I'm glad talking about it helps," I said with a frown, "But I mean it ok? If I can help, just ask."

She sighed again and commented, "I don't really know how anyone could help. Unless being 'part demon' gives you some sort of magical powers or something?"

I probably got a sort of thoughtful look on my face as I actually did think it over. I couldn't do anything myself, but Lily could. I was willing to bet a guy who'd take advantage of his niece probably had a dark enough soul to interest my demon mom. On the other hand, maybe having her uncle die mysteriously wasn't really the kind of help she wanted.

"Um," I grimaced, "Not really? Sorry. I'm good for moral support, and I can provide hugs and stuff? And we've got a guest room where you can crash if you ever need some time away from your family."

Grace blushed and I knew she was thinking about what Amber said last week, about me being eager to please and giving her a fun night if she wanted.

She didn't comment though, and after we were both finished with our food we went back up to the buffet again. This time I saved room for dessert, and so did Grace.

She got a little scoop of ice cream with a half spoonful of chocolate sauce on it, while I got like two big scoops and smothered it in caramel then added sprinkles and stuff.

And when we sat down together I took a few moments to sort out my tail yet again, before I was ready to dig into my sundae.

Grace watched me with a bemused grin, then smiled "Mara that looks like the sort of dessert a twelve-year-old would make."

I just giggled as I had another spoonful.

She had a half spoonful of her ice cream then commented, "If I ate like that I'd have trouble fitting into my clothes tomorrow. Then I'd have to listen to my dad's lecture-slash-sermon about self-control or self-restraint or some other religious bullshit designed to spread shame and guilt."

There was more than a little anger in her tone, and she immediately grimaced and apologized "Sorry. I didn't mean to get so bitter."

"It's ok Grace," I said as I shook my head. "I'm sorry you have to put up with stuff like that."

"So what's your secret to staying slim?" she asked. "Daily visits to the gym?"

I grinned, "It's one of the perks of being part-demon? I'll stay young and fit and healthy forever."

She gave me another eye-roll as she replied, "That's almost enough reason to sign up right there. I don't suppose you're taking applications?"

"Uh," I hesitated, half expecting Lily to speak up or something.

My demon mom stayed quiet though. She'd been kind of quiet since yesterday morning in fact. She claimed there was nothing wrong but when I questioned her she seemed a bit flustered or distracted about something.

I finally told Grace "I'll have to get back to you on that? I'm only part-demon so I'm not in charge of contracts or anything. I can ask my boss though?"

She grinned and shook her head slightly, "I can see why you're doing so well in drama."

I smiled back, and the two of us finished our dessert together. When the bill came I paid for both of us again, despite Grace's protests. She said it was her turn, but I insisted. After hearing how she was getting ripped off and stuff, I figured she should keep whatever money she was getting from her cheapskate uncle. And I felt a bit guilty since I didn't have to work at all, thanks to Lily.

When we got back in Grace's car she watched again as I took a few moments to get my tail sorted out, then commented "Some day I'll find out what's really going on with you and chairs. I mean, assuming you don't actually have an invisible tail."

I tried not to cringe, instead I just smiled "We'll see."

She drove me home and we bid each other a good afternoon. Then she had to get back to her uncle's studio since her lunch break was just about up.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters! Patrons have already read chapter 29 and you could too!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

87