30. A surprise (part2)
2.8k 12 116
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Happy birthday, Julia."

"Congratulations, your highness."

When Julia could see again, she saw Loriam smiling at her as well as Nemi. as well as multiple noble-looking vampires, all of whom were clapping while congratulating her for something. Wait, is that confetti? Julia was confused about why there was confetti falling on her head.

"Congratulations, your highness."

While Julia was confused about what was going on, Mirei and Liora entered the room and bowed to Julia.

"umm… Congratulations, master?"

Lily looked at Julia, unsure of what is happening. But regardless, she decided to congratulate her master as well, even though she had no idea why.

"Can somebody tell me what is going on?"

Julia looked confusedly at the vampires she considered close, mainly her friend and mother.

"What’s wrong, sweety? Did you think that mommy forgot your birthday?"

Loriam looked pleased with herself. Her eyes seemed to say, I would never forget something that important. Julia got even more confused. What birthday?

"ummm… Actually, your majesty. Her highness did seem pretty down today."

As Mirei talked to Loriam, Loriam’s face started to show a guilty expression. and threw herself on Julia, embracing her tightly.

"I just wanted to surprise you. I am sorry if you felt unloved because of it, don’t be mad, okay?"

"I am also sorry, Julia. I should just go to congratulate you earlier."

Loriam and Nemi apologized to Julia, she herself thought still didn’t have the slightest idea what they were talking about. Julia pushed Loriam off herself and took a small step back.

"Umm… what are you congratulating me for?"

 Now, Loriam and Nemi looked confused. They exchanged a short glance with each other before Loriam spoke up.

"It’s your birthday, silly. Did you forget?"

"Huh? My birthday?"

Julia pointed at herself in confusion. Loriam, Nemi, Liora, and Mirei nodded.

How can it be my birthday? It wasn’t a new year yet. Julia felt confused even more. When she looked into the calendar this morning, it definitely said that it was the first day of the tenth month. So how could it be her birthday? Did they change it, perhaps? When she looked at it like this, it made sense. How could her human family know when the vampire queen gave birth?

"Your highness, when did you celebrate your birthday till now? If I may ask."

Liora, noticing Julia’s confusion, asked. Why was she asking? Julia wondered, but answered nevertheless.

"On the first day of the first month, Why?"

"I see…"

Julia and the others looked at Liora, who began thinking intensely. while the rest of the vampire nobles began wondering what the royal mother-daughter pair were discussing at the door for so long.

"…In other words, today."

Liora announced her conclusion. The others obviously didn’t understand what she was saying. Liora didn’t look surprised that Loriam and the other three didn’t understand, but she seemed shocked that Julia didn’t. Liora let out a sigh.

"The first day of the first month in the human calendar is the first day of the tenth in ours. Unlike us, humans start their year in winter for some strange reason."

As Liora finished with a hint of superiority in her eyes, Julia began questioning how she had never realized that until now. In the meantime, Loriam put on a soft smile and patted Julia’s head.

"Don’t worry about it, even if you forgot, I didn’t."

Just leave it to your mother. This seemed to be the meaning behind Loriam’s gentle smile. Julia couldn’t help but smile in response as she felt a single tear forming in her eye.  Before Julia reacted, Loriam wiped the tear off Julia’s face with her finger.

"Yes, we didn’t forget. happy birthday Julia!"

Nemi beamed and attempted to hand over a wrapped box. but was stopped by Loriam.

"The gifts come later. And believe me when I say, I would rather give her mine now."

Nemi pouted, trying to get past Loriam with the present. Loriam stopped her with a hand and pushed her back a few steps. Then she took Julia by the hand and led her deeper into the room. Julia followed her, trying to ignore all the nobles looking at her.

A few hours earlier.

"Did she really tell you that Julian is alive?"

Ele asked, landing her light purple eyes on Olia, who was looking out the window. The tall blonde elf woman nodded, and with her emerald eyes looked at Ele.

"It is hard to believe it though. I saw her kill him."

Olia's hatred for the vampire queen was obvious.Ele thought for a bit and leaned back into her seat.

"Hmmm, maybe she turned him into a vampire? You know, like she bites him and poof he is a vampire now?"

"That is impossible. This isn’t some sort of novel, Ele, this is the real world."

Olia sighed; she wished that Ele was right. Vampire Julian was better than dead Julian after all. But there wasn’t a chance that would happen so the only other possibility was hope that Loriam was telling the truth. Which in itself was unlikely.

"Isn’t it better than assuming he is dead?"

Ele pouted. No matter what, she wanted to cling to this hope. If there was even the tiniest chance of her brother still being alive, she would fully embrace it. even if he would no longer be human. Olia understands why she felt that way, she herself wished that Julian was waiting for her in the vampire palace just as Loriam promised. But she knows that was a false hope.

"I am not assuming, I did see him die."

"Then why are you going?"

Ele smiled as if she had gotten Olia in the corner. And partly she did. Olia had a hopeful thought in the back of her mind: what if... what if he is still alive?

"I came because my country depends on it."

Olia pushed her hopes into a deeper corner of her mind and gave Ele her official reason for going. Yes, an Anarite trade. That is all she came for. A small stupid green gem from a faraway land, and for it she had to beg vampires. Just the thought of it was making her sick.

"If it weren’t for that, I would not go to some vampire brat’s birthday."

"Speaking of which, Do you know anything about her? Like anything?"

Ele asked, her voice having a slight hint of hope in it. Olia shook her head.

"Never even heard about her before. I take it that you didn’t as well?"

"Its like she is a ghost or something. I did find an old family tree of the Leranpe clan that did mention some princess named Julia, but it was only that one specific that did. All of the newer ones didn’t mention her."

Ele sighed and stared at the ceiling. Olia began to wonder. How is it possible that no one even knew that there was a vampire princess? Something fishy is happening in the land of blood suckers.

The rest of the way they spent in silence, which Olia used to prepare herself to face the one who killed her beloved.

Upon arrival at the vampire royal palace, they were greeted by a seemingly young black-haired maid. It was clear to Olia that this maid being a vampire was like 1000 years old.

"Please follow me, your highness."

The maid told them with a light bow in a surprisingly good elven language. Without waiting for them to respond, the maid turned around and walked towards the palace.

"I guess we will follow her."

"Yea."

The two followed the maid inside until they reached a ballroom, which was filled with many vampire nobles, as well as dark elves and succubi.

After not so long, the maids put the lights off. Olia didn’t feel comfortable being in the dark room filled with vampires. In any case, she chose to endure it. I hope she wasn’t lying. Olia took a deep breath and prepared herself.

116