Chapter 78: Plus One!
227 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"Quite a room, you got here, a little shabby but it's not like I've not been in worse."(Fionne)

We left the sewer dungeon and returned back to our inn. 

Ka- Fionne asked to be somewhere else other than the sewer dungeon and so here we are. 

"Then, shall I start?"(Fionne)

"yes please."(Reiko)

Fionne wore a perplexed expressions. From the compass there were just small bits of an aura-like stream. 

"There that should do, come touch it."(Fionne)

She tossed the compass, which I caught with great dexterity of course. 

Bam...

"o- oops..."(Reiko)

Quickly I picked up the compass. This time, it was reacted differently, the eye in the middle shut close and then opened up, no crazy nonsense this time.  The needle moved just right afterwards, making a small change in the angle.

I wonder why?

"Something wrong? I'm sure it's fine."(Fionne)

"huh? Ah no no, I'm just a little confused, n- nothing much, please don't worry about it!"(Reiko)

"Okay then..."(Fionne)

What now? 

Do I just start over again? Follow the needle as usual? Actually if that was the case, then I'd probably have to leave Labelle, I doubt she'd be here. 

Should I pack my stuff? 

I guess I should, not point in staying here anymore. Following through I grabbed what little things we had and messily shoved it back into our backpacks. 

"Cheryl, let's go."(Reiko)

Cheryl had been more and more distracted by that book recently. She seemed even a bit crazed with her bugged out eyes gliding through the same page over and over again. 

...mhmm...

I grumbled a little. Nothing much seemed to get through to her anymore. There's only one thing I can do in this situation. 

Grabbing the hem of her shirt, I tugged. 

"huh? Oh, what is it sweetie?"(Cheryl)

"Let's go, I don't think Kana's here... ah I forgot."(Reiko)

Turning back to Fionne, I gave her a deep bow. 

"Thank you for helping us out."(Reiko)

I had to show my gratitude. Yeah she did lie to me and lead me to a suspicious place, but it's not like it was the first time something like that happened, then again I usually got beaten when I got taken away. 

Man I'm glad I don't go to school anymore. 

Uh where was I? Oh yeah. 

I raised my head up.

"Um, Reiko, are you sure you want to go out right now? It is dark you know?"(Cheryl)

"It's fine, it's not like it's huwah, that late."(Reiko)

It was true, looking out from the window, the moon looked to be smack dab in the middle, it was only like midnight. I would assume it would not be much different from how I used to travel back home.

Trains exists, so travelling late night is definitely an option, it's better now that we're actually within civilization, no hidden villages or abandoned mansions. I mean of course it will still be different, but manageable. 

"You have been staying up awfully late these past few days, how about going to bed early today? If you don't sleep well, you can stunt your growth you know?"(Cheryl)

What a lot of fooey, I've pulled all nighters before and I turned out fine. 

It's not going to affect my growth at all. 

"h- huwah~!"(Reiko)

But I am a little sleepy. Maybe sleeping isn't that bad... it will probably be easier to go in the morning too. Hmm, I guess just for today I'll sleep, then I'll have enough energy for tomorrow. 

"okay then, let's sleep tonight."(Reiko)

I rubbed my eyes and took of my coat. 

It's a little dirty, a stain here and there, it needs a wash soon. 

...

I need a wash soon. 

"Reiko, what's wrong?"(Cheryl)

Perhaps noticing me grumble, Cheryl asked. 

"nothing, I think I just a shower that's a-"(Reiko)

I froze, what have I done. There was ominous winds in the air. Her analytic eyes peering me down, from head to toe. My hair was noticeably browner than usual, so was my tail. My skin was sticky from sweat and grime. Worst of all, I definitely had to be the dust and mud smeared all over. 

Cheryl had these unique quirks about her. I don't even know why she was like this at all, was she not an adventurer?

One, she had barbaric strength, maybe an over exaggeration but she was definitely stronger than most. 

Two, she always had this desire for cleanliness, never too obsessed with it, she was not a germaphobe but it was evident being clean was priority for her.

Three, she was always in charge of bath time. It didn't matter where we were whenever there was a bath, a shower or anything of sorts, she would always take charge, making sure I was spotless. 

"Now that you mention it, someone's a little dirty."(Cheryl)

n- no, NO NO NO WAIT WAIT!

"How about a bath before going to bed?"(Cheryl)

Someone save me!

-----

My skin is flushed red right now. She really made sure every piece of dead skin had been scrubbed off, not even a speck of bacteria alive. Cheryl's scary...

At least, I can rest now, rest my poor, tired soul.

I collapsed onto the bed, head first, snuggling up with a pillow. 

"Come over here! You're going wet up the bed."(Cheryl)

Grabbing me by the collar and away from the heaven. 

N- no...!

A gust of warm wind to dry my hair, it was as usual. I sat down on her lap with a droopy face, I was too sleepy to think.

...

Eh?

"Fionne? What are you still doing here?"(Reiko)

How have I just noticed this? Fionne had been here the entire time? Does she have nothing else to do? I wonder... 

"I want to stay that's why, not permanently, I can't manage that, but a day or two, so that I can teach you a couple things before leaving. Of course, this is all optional, I don't bother forcing people to do things."(Fionne)

Teach me? 

I guess learning from her won't be that bad, it's not as if she's a threat either.

hmm...

I don't think there's enough beds for all of us.

But it's a little rude to kick a guest out... hum... I guess it should be fine, I can sleep on the floor.

"uhm, sure."(Reiko)

While drying my hair, Cheryl reached down to my level and whispered into one of my ears. 

"don't you find you're being a little too trusting? We only met her for a day you know?"(Cheryl)

"...I guess... but wouldn't it be rude to tell her to leave now?"(Reiko)

"that's not quite what I mean, just that you're trusting people too eagerly, okay?"(Cheryl)

"o- okay..."(Reiko)

I don't think I am too trusting. Am I? 

That can't be true... if I ignore this and continue as is, that would make me still 'too trusting' but then again if I listen and follow through wouldn't that still make me 'too trusting' since I am trusting what she said to be true?

mhm... trust this trust that, paradoxes suck!

"If you are discussing about sleeping arrangements, I already have a place to shelter at, I will just come back at dusk the next morning."(Fionne)

"Ah really?"(Reiko)

"Yes, really."(Fionne)

Patting herself down she walked up to the window. 

"Well then, I'll see you later little one."(Fionne)

Her body glowed from the moonlight. A bright silver and navy, her arms were wide open like a snow-angel. In a blink of an eye she was still there but then a second later, she disappeared. 

"uh oh, b- bye."(Reiko)

So this is what magic is like? I think I've seen her do something similar before.

Teleportation... must be convenient. 

"h- huwah~"(Reiko)

Oh man, I-'m s- so sleepy...

I jumped onto the bed, I bounced a little. Stretching my arms and cozying up with the pillows, I fell asleep. 

-----

Cheryl POV

Oh my, already asleep? Someone must have been tired.

So quickly too. 

Light's still on, better turn it off. 

...

You worry me Reiko. You're naïve, reckless and clumsy too. Throughout our short journey you and I we've faced through many dangers, from ghosts to beastmen, I just wish you can take it slow for a while.

I know it's all in efforts to look for Kana but, you're still young. 

I guess that adds to your charm in a way and I guess that's why I'm here, to make sure you're safe.

Ah~ whatever, I'm just repeating myself at this point.

I pulled up a blanket so that she would not catch a cold. 

Goodnight, Reiko.

Finally it was my turn to get some shut eye. 

As I stretched, the window glowed bright. A vibrant hue of yellow and orange, followed by blue and pink, loud sounds of explosion in the background. 

What is this?

I peeked out to see a line, the line wasn't big but it was indeed there. Carriages of the highest class, lead by peerless mares. 

Was this, so early too? Or maybe not, my sense of time seems to be a bit skewed nowadays. 

The moonlight ball, held once a decade, where all the rich and powerful meet up for a multiday long parade. Still I do find a bit early, and the lack of carriages makes me think it is just the noble coming early.

Bang!

The fireworks were loud, something everyone hated about the upper-class, their pride. It is the first but not the last something like this'll happen, the nobility or royalty do enjoy their spectacular entrances. 

"hnngh...!"(Reiko)

The noise must be disturbing her sleep. 

Poor child... this may help.

Across from the next bed, I grabbed a pillow to cover her ears.

"nhng..."(Reiko)

O- oh, as my arm laid the pillow down, she clung onto it. Hugging it with both arms, not letting go. I could just pull it away or just phase through it, but that might wake her up.

...

It's going to be a long night isn't it?

-----

Reiko POV

"Woah what's that!"(Reiko)

I woke not too long ago and now that I look out the window, everything looked different! The streets were lively, livelier than usual, and every now and then you can see a carriage followed by an entire parade! 

The walls had banners too, and there were also buskers on the streets. 

"It's in preparation for the moonlight ball. You see over there?"(Cheryl)

She said pointing at a moving carriage.

"That's a noble, making their way to the palace there. It doesn't seem to have begun yet, usually there would be more carriages and it also would be more extravagant too."(Cheryl)

Oh, yeah I think I heard it before, when we first got here. 

I guess it doesn't affect me or my journey at all, so I shouldn't mind much to it. Welp, no need for dilly dallying now. Getting off the bed and onto the floor, I began my morning routine.

It wasn't much, just a brush of teeth and putting on clothes. 

After all that, I grabbed our bags all of them, I was preparing to leave that's why. 

Looking at the compass for good measure and...

Eh?

It's now pointing... differently. Actually it was pointing in the complete opposite direction. Uhh... I guess she moved... but so quick? 

I- I'll figure this out, firstly, let's go outside and get something to eat. 

"Cheryl, let's go."(Reiko)

I say as I grabbed onto Cheryl's hand and dragged her outside. 

Opening the door, I was met with a familiar face. 

"Ah good morning."(Reiko)

It was Fionne, leaning against a wall. Actually, she was supposed to teach me something, she said that the other night. 

"Good morning."(Cheryl)

"Morning. Now come, follow me."(Fionne)

Ah, so early in the morning too. I wanted to get some breakfast but I guess that can wait, I did agree to it after all.

"How about we get something to eat first? We just woke up."(Cheryl)

"I can work with that."(Fionne)

Thank you!

-----

Ting~

Tapping a clear glass cup with a metal spoon, Fionne was bored. At the time I was busy finishing up the French toast I had ordered, Cheryl was enjoying a mug of coffee. I asked her for some but she said no. Unbelievable...

"Why not help yourself to something to eat? Our treat."(Cheryl)

Upon Cheryl's comment, Fionne shook her head side to side. 

"I'm not much of a snacker myself."(Fionne)

Personally, her logic is pretty sound, the bills pile up if you eat too often. I used to limit myself to a meal a day, sometimes two meals a day. 

"Finished eating?"(Fionne)

Fionne asked as I put the final piece of bread in my mouth.

"Give her a second, she's still chewing."(Cheryl)

I nodded my head to answer her question and swallowed the remaining piece of food.

"Great, now remember what I taught you the other day? Try it out on this glass."(Fionne)

So soon, I'll try...

Remembering what she taught me, the gentle flow of the water stream. 

pop.

Eh?

The water fizzled as if it was carbonated. Did I do this? 

What would happen if I continued doing it? 

Hmm...

The water fizzled more, starting to resemble more like boiling water than any soda I've drank. It looked dangerous to drink now... 

Eventually, a giant bump came out from the water and it grew bigger and bigger until it flew into the air. 

pop!

Woah...

It popped...

I'm making progress! 

Even my tail is excited. Quiet down!

I grabbed my tail to stop it from moving, it was too bushy. 

-----

"Cheryl look at this!"(Reiko)

Right in my palm was a water droplet, almost twenty millimetres. It was not much, but it was progress. 

Cheryl lightly clapped with a smile.

Eh he~

Brr Brr Brr! 

"Move aside for Master Lawrence!"

A trumpet boomed, again... It was maybe the fourth one today. It was still a bit far from where we were, it was on the main road. 

"What's that all about?"(Fionne)

"Don't you know? It's the moonlight ball?"(Cheryl)

"Oh that old thing? Wasn't it supposed to happen in about three days or so? Perhaps am I missing something?"(Fionne)

"Well there is a trend where those who live afar, let's say like Dune, travel early and arrive early as to avoid mishaps and such. It is better to be early than late after all."(Cheryl)

"Seriously? After so long, teleportation is still not the main way of travel."(Fionne)

To Fionne's words, Cheryl was a little flabbergasted. It was as if she said something stupid.

"If teleportation is not an option, why not take the trains? I'm sure they're fast."(Reiko)

"Well, yes, some do take the faster option but others prefer showing up lavish to flaunt their wealth and such."(Cheryl)

Oh I see, I get it. 

"Cheryl you seem to know so much about this, have you ever been to one?"(Reiko)

"Ah me? No no I haven't."(Cheryl)

She waved her hand back and forth and formed an 'X'. 

"I have been to one, nothing much interesting."(Fionne)

"R- really!?"(Cheryl)

"Yes, in fact, I have a ticket on me right now."(Fionne)

As she said that, a ball of light glowed on her and from it appeared a sheet of white paper. Squinting my eyes I noticed the words 'Plus One of Lady Fafnir' on it.

"Lady Fafner?"(Reiko)

"It's pronounced nir sweetie."(Cheryl)

"Oh, Lady Nir.

...

Fafnir."(Reiko)

"Yeah, she sends me these every decade, she wants me to go out and have fun or such, but it's not quite my style so I tend to stay out of it."(Fionne)

Lady Fafnir... the dragon? Is she a dragon? A dragon man?

"I don't really need it, you want it?"(Fionne)

Uh, I don't really plan on going to the ball anyway... let's just decline.

"no thank you."(Reiko)

"You sure? It's once in a lifetime opportunity for many."(Fionne)

But, I have to go... but then again wasn't this once every decade or something? This could be like one of those parties in a fantasy novel.

If I go to Kana immediately, I can see her earlier.

If I go to the ball, I can eat fancy food, and see fancy things too. I can eat as much meat as I want too, and wine too.

Hm... ah! I have an idea!

"Cheryl what should I do?"(Reiko)

I asked, tugging on her shirt.

"Oh me personally? I'll accept the offer. Simple as that."(Cheryl)

"Ng, ok, I'll take it then."(Reiko)

As I reached for it, it vanished.

Eh?

"Actually, I have an idea. How about a test. If you can double the amount of water you can control or change the shape of it, then I'll give it you."(Fionne)

Eh? No fair, then I'm not gonna do it.

...

I am a little hungry... I wonder what gourmet food would be like...

My mouth is starting to water a bit...

Hmm...

Maybe a break wouldn't too bad...

NO!

I can't think like that... but then again...

...

"Ok fine!"(Reiko)

6