Chapter 69: The Truth about Spirits
123 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

Destroyed cottages, abandoned roads, once again I was back to the 'ghost town'.

On Cheryl's back was a large wooden box and to my side a small pack. 

"Maybe over there?"(Cheryl)

She pointed at a patch of grass surrounding a broken fountain. I shook my head no, thinking there was somewhere better. We looked around for a bit, we crossed out the land near the old huts or the farm fields. 

Our eyes grazed all over for the perfect grave but we couldn't find something suitable. 

She had one request, 'For one last time, I wish to see the town I used to rule. Please find a final resting place somewhere I can see everything.' 

Not saying a specific place makes it a little difficult.  

Somewhere she can see everything...

!

I have an idea.

Grabbing the hem of shirt I nudged her over. 

Going over to a hill, a land elevated higher than the flat ground surrounding it. On the top lays a sole, lonely tree. 

"I think we should bury her over here. "(Reiko)

Pointing down right under the shade of the tree I told Cheryl.

She turned her head a bit, looking over the horizon. The houses were clear as daylight, over yonder were the mountains with a bigger peculiar mountain farther into the distance. 

With a giant hole to the side, as if something had taken a bite out of it, it was more visible here than usual. 

I've wondered why it's like that for a while now, but flying too high to get a better look ended with me almost dying. 

It was majestic, serene and grandiose and being followed by the humbler buildings and the peaceful wildlife, it was no doubt the right spot. 

Responding with a nod, she placed her hand gently on the ground.

The dirt displaced to the side as the ground caved in to become a hole. 

Now a rectangular hole a couple hundred centimeters deep, we placed the coffin inside. 

Using magic again, Cheryl covered the coffin, finishing up the funeral. 

From my bag I took out some of Camilla's favourite flowers and planted them around the mound. 

It was now over, rest in peace Camilla.

-----

"Welcome back."(Camilla)

She said with zest in her voice,

"Where am I? Where did you bury me?"(Camilla)

Her eyes followed my finger pointing towards the distant hill. 

"Is that where I am? I'm happy, even if my soul's not there, at least my body is free, Reiko, Cheryl, I am grateful."(Camilla)

""You're welcome.""(Cheryl & Reiko)

"Shall we head inside? I have a present for the two of you."(Camilla)

"Nngh."(Reiko)

Nodding yes, we followed her into the mansion. Down the maroon carpet and into her library. 

I was in awe, I thought I had seen everything but I keep getting met with more and more surprises. The walls were covered in five shelf bookshelves each held a sign holding words that ranged from languages to sciences. Strangely however, there didn't seem to be any fiction or as a matter of fact any book you would read for fun.

Going over to an almost empty shelf she took out a couple books from its already small pile. One an old and tattered but thick book, the other, a thinner, worse in condition black book.

"Well... welcome to my library."(Camilla)

She shrugged a bit awkwardly.

"It's a little old, but it's a treasured place, generations of books all piled in one place and... that's why I have a couple things I wanted to show slash give you."(Camilla)

Handing the thicker book the Cheryl which Cheryl accepted with grace. 

"This is a collection, an anthology, encyclopedia of everything relating to the dead. This... is not a guide but it has a lot of stories and abilities and such about ghosts, I think it can help you a lot, it sure did help me."(Camilla)

Awkward pause.

"Again it's not a guide so you must figure most of it on your own."(Camilla)

She had a look of awe in her eyes staring at the book. 

This... this is such a, I don't know big gift!

So much information and she's giving it away like that!

Oh my gah! 

I wonder what the other one is? Is it for me?

Perhaps noticing my curiosity she waved her hand side to side implying no, I am wrong in my assumption.

"This is not for you."(Camilla)

Uh... oh...

"Ah I mean it is, just not to keep, well... you can keep it if you want... whatever, come look here!"(Camilla)

Skipping a couple pages, she showed me a diagram. Circular compass-like diagram with an eye in the middle, it was the one from her past, the one that angel boy gave. 

"This, this is what I am going to give you. You said you wanted to find someone, maybe this can help... these are actually artifacts a collection of artifacts. I don't how we ended up with this book but we did.

This one over here, in theory could find anyone, but it could also be used to find you. It's a tracker in a sense. I don't know how it works exactly but if you really want to find that person, this might help a lot.

But if you're going to use this, you must make a promise... the moment you find them, destroy this or abandon it, put in the bottom of an ocean. As much as it can find someone, look over here, read it, it says it here, wherever it is can be tracked, and if you were to be tracked by him, I don't know if I'd be able to forgive myself."(Camilla)

This... this would do, as long as it works, then even if... it's a risk worth taking. 

"this'll do, I want it."(Reiko)

A bit hesitant she was but in the end she said,

"Alright, I'll go get it."(Camilla)

As she finished her sentence, she disappeared through the walls.

"By the way, I've been meaning to ask, is the person you're looking for Kana?"(Cheryl)

Hah!?

She knows!?

Oh statera, how did she find out!?

"y- yes..."(Reiko)

I peeped with nervousness.

"a- and how do you know that name...?"(Reiko)

"Oh that? You've mumbled that name every now and then."(Cheryl)

o- oh...

...Well, I guess it's about time I tell her about Kana.

"Kana, she's my little sister."(Reiko)

"Little sister!?"(Cheryl)

"yeah, we've been separated for a bit now so, I'm looking for her now."(Reiko)1burner footnote

[Little sister...

Reiko = small

Little = small

small = cute

Reiko's little sister = cute2squared](Cheryl)

"I feel like I've been ignoring my older br- sister duties so now I'm looking for her."(Reiko)

It's been such a long time, I wonder if she'd recognise me in this form, I hope she would...

Bwah, I don't wanna think about it at all. 

Let's just be a good brother and make her food when we reunite. Maybe an omelette? No, french omelette, scrambled eggs, sunny side up! Omurice! Egg fried rice?3she has a great understanding of a balance diet

Soon, Camilla returned with the compass.

I've seen it a couple times already, but up close it's so intricate and eerie. It's staring at me, I think that's the problem. Either way I have to get used to it.

"any idea how to use it?"(Reiko)

She shook her head but then shrugged as if she was saying 'maybe'.

Ok then. I picked up the book and skipped to the page of the compass, it was pretty easy, Camilla must've turned to this page a lot. I skimmed my eyes over all the irrelevant information, until I found what I needed. 

Ah over here!

'To locate and link this device, one must imagine whom they are locating and if it is already linked, it must be overridden forcibly through a stream of mana, the mana must be of the manipulation type.' 

Manipulation type? 

Maybe just no-element mana would work?

Huh... I wonder.

To concentrate I closed my eyes, holding onto the compass I thought about Kana.

I poured in mana slowly.

I want... to see my sister!

In that moment, the eye opened wide, the compass arrow spun around crazily. It worked! No it could also be broken. Maybe I put too much mana, blue streams, light particles exploded outwards like a river.

Uh oh, what do I do!?

I looked uneasily at Cheryl and Camilla, they both had a similar expression of horror or shock.

 Uh uh

It's going to explode!

Instinct took over as I violently chucked it across and jumped behind Cheryl for cover.

I'm sorry for using you as a meat shield!

I hugged her legs tight and closed my eyes.

The thing emitted more and more mana, the compass arrow turning faster and faster and-

...

Nothing.

Phew~

I guess it worked then.

Hurrah it worked!

I think.

Hurrah I think it worked!

"Uh, sweetie, you can let go of my leg now."(Cheryl)

"Oh sorry."(Reiko)

Cautiously I tip-toed to observe the compass. Grabbing it, I twisted, I turned it and lo and behold it worked?

It could also still be that angel boy but I have a hunch. I'm certain it worked.

"it worked... IT WORKED!"(Reiko)

I face the two with a tearful gleam.

Finally after so long...

You don't have to wait any longer Kana, big bros coming.

-----

Camilla POV

The final day.

Two days have passed since we got the compass to work and ever since then, the two have been packing their belongings.

Not much just a couple clothes, water and other necessities to survive in the wild. 

Such a short time felt so long...

I guess it is about time I move on too.

This truly is my final goodbye.

As the two wore their bags on their backs, I couldn't help myself but reach out to the little one. She tilted her head in confusion as I reached out from behind.

A stuffed bear, an old stuffed bear. A fancy, gentleman he is.

I handed him over to her. 

She was a little stunned, but accepted the gift with a warm smile, stuffing him into her bag. 

 The two headed towards the front door and wave their arms. The little one had her arm raised high up in the air, the big one just a simple turn of her wrist.

"Goodbye! I promise to visit!"(Reiko)

And just like that, they disappeared off into the horizon.

She made a promise, but truth be told, that promise never came to fruition.

My chest was light, then my legs, arms and head.

There is one thing I hope you all would understand my dearest friends.

All my afterlife, I was scared to make a change truthfully. I thought I knew what I wanted, needed and thought it was an impossible goal.

To live another day in an alive body even after death? How foolish I was.

Huddled up in my little fortress, lonely... until one day, some two showed up.

And through their clumsiness or wit, I faced what I wanted to forget.

...

There is one thing I hope you will learn about, an important truth about us dead.

Not a strict criteria but the moment our wishes have been fulfilled, our souls at peace, something... magical happens.

Our bodies no longer take form.

The mana begins to disperse back to the world.

And our souls pass on.

Dear Cheryl, I hope the day you find yourself fading, you'd have found the right guardian for your child.

For me, I know that my time has come.

I'm sorry for saying my final goodbye...

 

 

 

6999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Happy Halloween and goodluck to all those participating in NNN.

4