Chapter 72: Two Red Eyes
99 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Person POV

"What kind of person is your little sister?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl asked curious now that she is going to meet the aforementioned little sister of Reiko. 

"Huh... well..."(Reiko)

Having taken aback to recollect any memories she had left. It's been almost two years, but in reality her memories of Kana mostly came from about seven to twelve years ago.

Ever since the day she was hospitalised she began to change. Her cheeriness began to disappear as if she had been painted with a monochrome palette. Less hopeful, less caring... she was no longer who Reiko knew.

-----

"hey Kana..."(Reiko)

Entering a small hospital room, there was only a sharp beeping sound echoing in the background. A man, no a boy who had just become an adult greeted the a preteen girl sitting alone in a bed.

"I just graduated high school. I wanted to celebrate with you so I brought some cake... I was a little worried that the nurses wouldn't let me bring this in but I was given permission, isn't that great!"(Reiko)

"..."(Kana)

Absentmindedly looking at her tablet looking for the next video to watch or novel to read, not even acknowledging the presence of her brother. 

"Do you want some? It's your favourite, red velvet."(Reiko)

"...I'm full, no thanks."(Kana)

Again with a lackluster reply. 

"...then I'll just leave it over here... What are you reading? Is it a new manga?"(Reiko)

"..."(Kana)

"Oh, I think I remember this, you read it last time!"(Reiko)

"..."(Kana)

"Is it a comedy, or something else...?"(Reiko)

"..."(Kana)

Bit by bit, Kana was becoming more and more agitated. She ignored and even pushed Reiko away. Her eyes focused only on the text on the screen. 

Grr...

"Ah..."(Reiko)

Reiko blushed upon his stomach grumbling. 

"Seems like I was so excited I forgot to eat lunch!"(Reiko)

"..."(Kana)

"ha... ha..."(Reiko)

...

"Why are you here."(Kana)

Kana's comment left Reiko puzzled. Wondering what she meant by 'Why are you here' hadn't he just told her his reasoning? He was so sure that she would've been happier knowing he's going to visit her more frequently. Doesn't she love her one and only big brother? 

He wasn't planning on taking on university considering all the debt he has to pay. 

"What do you mea-"(Reiko)

"Are you here just to make fun of me. To gloat about how you graduated high school? To make fun of me who hasn't even made it to junior high?"(Kana)

The more she spoke the more her words became aggressive. The two seemed more like strangers than family.

"n- no that's not what I meant I-"(Reiko)

"SHUT UP! You don't get it!

You don't get how hard it is to be stuck inside all the day! You don't know how I feel! You get to go outside, have fun, talk to friends and play! I can't even- cough cough.."(Kana)

She wasn't even able to finish her sentence before coughing.

"Kana you shouldn't force yourself, you shoul-"(Reiko)

"Just shut up and leave me alone! Take your stupid cake with you too!"(Kana)

He reached down to check up on his sister, but was shoved, slapped and yelled at. 

His heart weighing heavy. He did what he could. Taking the cake, he left, not a word, not a sound...

-----

"hmm... she's a good child."(Reiko)

Reiko responded to Cheryl's question a little, glum. 

"Because she's been sick most her life, unable to really leave or go outside, she tends to be a little cranky sometimes but I like to think that she's just a sweet, innocent, little girl."(Reiko)

"I see..."(Cheryl)

Solemnly she looked out into the everchanging grass field under the moonlight, reminiscing more on those nostalgic memories of hers. Her mouth changed from a smile, to a frown and then a mix of both. 

"About two years ago... she disappeared and I thought she was gone forever. But... suddenly, one day I was given a chance to meet her, find her... and I was so so happy because now I feel like I could finally take care of her properly, I feel like I've failed in the past. Now it's my chance to redeem myself. I just hope she remembers me..."(Reiko)

Not a second thought before Cheryl placed her hand gently on Reiko's shoulder and patted her back.

"I'm sure she would remember you, to me, you sound like a great sister, and whoever she may be I'll be there with you, you're not alone."(Cheryl)

"...huh, thank you."(Reiko)

...

"So, how is your family like?"(Reiko)

Was this question from curiosity or the need to socialise? Well, a mix of both.

"Ah... well, they are not bad people but I wouldn't say we are in great terms... haha..."(Cheryl)

"Ah! Sorry, I asked a personal question..."(Reiko)

"No no, it's alright, I did ask first."(Cheryl)

-----

Chwoo! Chwoo!

It was the break of dawn. 

Our protagonist found themselves in the city of romance, Labelle. A bustling city of rich and poor. Paved brown roads, gothic buildings, street lamps burning a bright yellow, at day it's a peaceful, serene, graceful, at night it's describe as a party.

"Here we are, Reiko come on, let's- oh?"(Cheryl)

[She's asleep. But we have to leave... let's just wake her up.](Cheryl)

Her arm reached out to shake the girl awake but suddenly, it stopped.

 "mngh... hungry..."(Reiko)

[She's so peaceful. She's been through so much these days, in such a short time too, maybe I should let her sleep for now... but we have to leave, mmh... ah I have an idea!](Cheryl)

Following through, she grabbed her by the arm and put her in a piggyback ride.

"Owch!"(Cheryl)

Unfortunately she completely forgot about the particular properties of the pendant.

[That's a problem... I wonder, no that won't work... I can drag her? No, that's just cruel and she would definitely wake up from that! Hmm... ah I have an idea!](Cheryl)

...

"hhmm? Fuwah~... huh? Where am I?"(Reiko)

"Ah, you're awake."(Cheryl)

Not too long ago, the train made its stop, unfortunately however, little Reiko was fast asleep. Cheryl was holding the little fox in a princess carry.

"huh? Huwah!"(Reiko)

The moment she regained conscious she began to struggle and scurry. To everyone else it was just a little girl being carried, to Reiko, it felt like she was going to fall at any moment.

"Hey, stop struggling. Hold on hold on, you're going to fall!"(Cheryl)

Reiko was gently put down, the most gentle Cheryl could be. Her panic was a little too great however... she fell. The drop wasn't far but, enough to make Cheryl feel guilty.

"Are you okay?"(Cheryl)

"y- yeah..."(Reiko)

Feeling a little hurt on her chin, she rubbed it, thankfully there was no blood or cuts, even if it would've been healed up completely.

"Hey but what was that for?"(Reiko)

"Uh well, we arrived at our destination but you were asleep. And you were just so restful, I couldn't bring myself to wake you up. I did try to carry you in other ways but the necklace got in the way."(Cheryl)

[I guess that makes sense... wish you'd wake me up next time though... it's embarrassing to be carried.](Reiko)

She patted the hem of her coat before looking around. Her mouth was slightly open as she took in her surroundings. 

[Whooa!](Reiko)

Reiko's eyes sparkled. From left to right to left again and again swinging from side to side, her tail had a mind of its own. If she was to have seen herself, she would've felt embarrassed.

Excitedly going to have a better look, to see the various buildings and shops. 

Bricks of black, brown and burgundy and lamps poles tall made of metal. A tall tower with a giant clock, familiar to Big Ben of London. There were people, though not a lot, some wearing fancy tailored suits others in rags. 

However the thing that was the most eye-catching of all was the neoclassical castle in the distance. Standing tall on a hill all by itself, it was giant, towering over the entire city. 

In reality it was miles away but to our heroes it felt like it was just right there.

[A- amazing! I don't think I've ever seen something like this. It's going to be harder to find Kana than I thought...](Reiko)

Unfortunately it was still early morning, meaning it was going to be difficult for these two to find an inn willing to take them. 

-----

"oi... gi- gimme... a hic another pint will yah?"

Dirty, musty, murky... 

The walls were made of moldy wood, holding together by a thread. A bar within the heart of Labelle, hidden dark inside an alleyway. It was cheap alcohol, that is why most drunkards found themselves within this hazard. 

Dark out, just past midnight. A quiet night. In preparation of the moonlight ball there was an increase in surveillance, thieves and vagrants were taken of the moment they were seen. The moonlight ball is of the utmost importance especially during the times of the king's death. 

"Whiskey please."

It was an unusual voice, unlike the drunken old man it was petite and reedy, it was a woman's voice. 

Why would a girl like that be in a bar like this? Wearing a long blue dress with lighter blue frills. White stockings and gloves a clear, intricate, white cloak too. All of this coupled with neatly tied, waist long hair pink hair adorned in a fish-shaped hair clip.

"Eh? Hey what's a chic like you doing in a place like this...? Haha! Come to... come to my place! I need myself a woman...!"

He said with slurred words. 

She tried to ignore his existence entirely. She ignored his smell, his voice, his everything.

"Playing hard to get eh? Hahaha don worry I like me a- huh? Ah! You're from that little village? Or not? I don't really care. Don wor- hic tail or no tail I like all type of w- women!"

In truth she was not human, she had a fishy tail, fin and all. 

"!"

"Eh, never felt a tail like this before... so hic firm ain't it? Bet you like it hahaha!"

The man went up to take another gulp of his beer with a tipsy and hearty smile.

"Haha- kek! Kek Ach Aghh!"

No matter what he did it won't go down. His drink was stuck in his throat. How how could this be? He's dying and he didn't know to stop it. Was it magic? He didn't know, he's never seen this type of magic let alone regular magic alone.

Punching his stomach, patting his back, nothing, nothing... nothing...

There was nothing in his eyes. He was dead.

"This is for the drink."

In reality he didn't die in a normal, natural way.

He was killed, the liquid forced in his throat to block his airways. 

And the killer, the killer left the bar, unfeeling. There was no hatred or vengeance. She was harassed and just retaliated in her cold, uncaring manner. To her, it was like swatting a bug that bit.

Out in the chilly night, there not but one person. 

Her clothes were shades of blue with hints of white. She had a long shark tail which was slightly hidden by her cloak. Her long pink hair would flow with the breeze. 

All distinct and unique features, but there was one that stood out from them all.

She had two red eyes, and two white pupils.

Who might this be? Best to keep an eye on her.

3