Chapter 73: Labelle
142 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

Where to start, where to start...

Checking the compass I noticed the slight two degree turn of the needle, meaning she was here. 

Ah, too excited!

At first I thought about just going directly towards the compass but... well let's say there was a wall in our path, literally. It was such a big city with such a complicated layout. Alleys, walls and streets everywhere...

I need some time to get used to it. It was somewhat less messy than the metro stations back home, which was a plus. 

Grr... 

"Cheryl I'm hungry."(Reiko)

Five hours since we arrived, it's approaching noon. Skipped breakfast, don't want to skip lunch either. We're still pretty good on cash, about ninety-five thousand quils... man... I just realised we've mostly been living as freeloaders...

"What do you want to eat? Ah how about some bread? Labelle has this famous bakery we can have breakfast at."(Cheryl)

"I want something else, I had bread last time in Noxton."(Reiko)

 "Then how about some soup?"(Cheryl)

"I'm not feeling for it."(Reiko)

"What about a classic bacon and egg combo?"(Cheryl)

Ooh, that sounds good. Hmm... yeah yeah let's have that!

"Ngh, let's have that."(Reiko)

...

We're inside a diner. The windows gave a nice view of the pleasant outside. Along with the fresh aroma of food being cooked, it made a nice atmosphere.

We got to a four person table in the corner, the diner was overall pretty empty but I preferred the more quiet and private corner over other tables.

In no time a waiter came to take our orders. 

"I'll take some bread rolls with coffee, and the little one over here, get her a classic eggs and bacon with some juice."(Cheryl)

"uh, n- no... I'll have some coffee to..."(Reiko)

I softened down to the point I wasn't heard. 

"Hmm could you repeat that?"

"c- coffee please..."(Reiko)

"Coffee? Aren't you a little too young for that? I don't think I can serve you that sorry little one."

"i- it's alright..."(Reiko)

Drats...

After noting our orders the waiter swiftly left. 

It looks like a work day, so I doubt the restaurants any busy at this hour, maybe a little later when it's time for lunch. I'm feeling a little sleepy too, I think I might actually need that caffeine in my system. Well I did hear that children under twelve shouldn't be allowed caffeine, but I am over twelve. I wonder, this body is pretty young, or does it only seem young...

If I drink alcohol... will there be any side effects?

Should I even try...

Too much thought...

"Watcha thinking about sweetie?"(Cheryl)

"Huh? Oh uh alcohol!"(Reiko)

...Oops, shouldn't have blurted that out...

Cheryl made a grim face. Really shouldn't have said that out loud...

Stupid Rei, stupid Rei!

"Ah but's not like that it's uhh... just that I was wondering how to uh..."(Reiko)

"?"(Cheryl)

Damnit I'm blanking! I can't just say I was wondering what it would do to my body, then I would be seen as never haven drank before! Same goes for saying something like 'I was wondering what it tasted like.' But then again I do look like a child, I can't refute that and she does see me as a little child too.

Ahh complications complications!

"Reiko."(Cheryl)

"Yeths!?"(Reiko)

Cheryl gave me a serious stare and descended down to my level.

"You can drink once you're old enough, but you must promise to drink in moderation, that means to not drink too much. Understood?"(Cheryl)

Ah... but... ah...

"I guess..."(Reiko)

"Is that a yes?"(Cheryl)

"Umu... yeah..."(Reiko)

"Good, looks like foods here."(Cheryl)

The waiter boy brought us two plates. Cheryl had three bread rolls with what seemed to be... powdered sugar? And my plate with a nice and healthy sunny-side up egg, with bacons on the side.

It also had toast and sausage too! It's a little too heavy for breakfast I'mma be honest but it's good at least.

My fork broke the egg's yolk, letting yellow ooze out. Goopy but not raw and with a pinch of salt and pepper for flavour too.

All things considered it was pretty good. But, I think I can do better. Eggs were my source of protein for most my teenage and young adult years after all.

It was cheap and rich of nutrients, but my usually fried or raw wasn't always going to cut, so I had to learn all types of ways to eat an egg, from boiled to scrambled.

But it's a solid effort, eight out of ten.

Toast was nice and brown, very good. Sausage too, it was a little spicy. 

"thank you for the meal."(Reiko)

I finished my portion with a full belly. However my only gripe was that I only had juice for drinks. Again it's not bad but...

"May have some coffee please?"(Reiko)

"Sorry, but no."(Cheryl)

"oh... ok..."(Reiko)

I guess no coffee for me...

"...On second thought, maybe just a sip."(Cheryl)

Huh? Really! 

Excitedly grabbed the white mug. Feeling a sense of normalcy, my hands are shaking. It's been so so long since I had you in my hands again. We've been through so much hard days.

Welp no point in waiting!

Pressing my lips against the rim of the mug, feeling the warm embrace of the liquid. The smell was like a hug of a familiar memory. 

In the end I drank all that remained. 

...Woah... that packs such a huge punch.

It's more than anything I've felt. 

I'm feeling more energetic than ever. What did they put in this, I've never had coffee this strong.

No point in waiting now! We have work to do! 

Grabbing Cheryl's hand I urged her to leave. Since the meal was paid there is no point in waiting around and doing nothing. Come on let's go!

"Easy there Reiko."(Cheryl)

I grabbed her hand and left the café with spunk. A simple coffee really shouldn't pack such a punch, especially for how little I drank. But hooey I don't know how they do it, I had four to eight cups a day, and it never really had this great of effect. This should be borderline criminal, too much can kill a man you know.

We have to rely on the compass for now. Okay so then we should head that- eh...

Now it's pointing in a completely different direction...

In a hurry I moved north to see if there is any change in direction. Although it may seem like it didn't change, the needle made a slight turn anticlockwise, this means she is still within Labelle or at least in somewhat close proximity.

Few...

Of course I can't expect for her to stay still. Hell I don't even know what see looks like, not her gender, not her name. At least from my best approximations she should be about a year old. She did die last year, maybe two years...

Everything else, a complete mystery, I can only rely on this thing. 

I wish it was a bit easier. I am grateful for what Goddess Statera did. I might even become preacher after all this, but I do wish she did give me a hint or clue, maybe even a sort of cheat, makes life easier. I guess she did give me a cheat though, not really something I like very much, but it did help me.

It's a little scary that I can do something like that, become a burning monster all out of my control. Hopefully nothing like that ever happens. Or, hopefully, I am never in a situation where that happens. 

It's sunny today and the city was bustling. It exhumed of cheer and joy. I wonder if it's always like this.

Majority of the population here was, well, human. Although I can be mistaken at times. There were those who were human-like except for a long ear, rock-like skin or even for some, a horn, two wings, claws and a scorpion tail.

There were of course those like me, ears and tail and all. 

 It truly is a fantasy world. I wonder if there are dragons or krakens. I know there are dinosaurs, I can never forget that giant thing in the forest.

"Moonlight flowers! Moonlight flowers! Come buy flowers for the moonlight ball!"

"Blue moon crepes! We are now selling blue moon crepes for a limited time?"

Various street merchants were shouting to catch the attention of a passerby. 

Off into the distance there a jewelry store, their main display? A necklace holding a crescent moon covered in diamonds. 

Not too far and there was a man playing on the piano, dressed in deep blue with bits of white.

...

What is all this about?

Once again I tugged Cheryl's skirt to catch her attention.

"What's with all the moon stuff?"(Reiko)

I asked, I did feel a little shame of again not knowing anything, but at least this time it wasn't something like what a train looks like.

"Huh, well yes it should be about time. You see everything here is in preparation for the moonlight ball."(Cheryl)

Hoh, sounds fancy.

"I think it was... every ten years, Labelle holds a special ball over there in that palace, gathering royalty, nobility and those of great prestige for a festival, lasting for three days and three nights. Of course no peasantry can attend, but because of that it becomes a tradition for the common folk to celebrate in their own way."(Cheryl)

Cheryl explained while pointing towards castle in the distance. 

The moonlight ball...

I doubt Kana would be there, so no point on thinking about it...

Unless... Cheryl did say nobility and royalty, could she have possibly reincarnated as royalty!? It definitely would be better than an average person or even worse an orphan in the slums. 

Goddess Statera wouldn't do something like that to her right? 

Eh he, eh ha ha ha...

She's gonna be in the ball isn't she?

...

Uwah! What do I do! There's no way a nobody like me can stumble in there! Even if I could, I wouldn't enjoy being in a ball! 

Ugh, what do I do...!

Ah! I know!

Reach for the pockets and I pulled out a circular compass. The needle wasn't pointing towards the castle, phew... it was actually no where near it.

...

How do I even know if it began or not! 

People usually don't show up days earlier! 

"Ch- cheryl when does it begin? The ball."(Reiko)

"Hmm... I don't know, sorry."(Cheryl)

I'm doomed.

my only option, is to find her before it begins. Plus there's also a chance she might not even go there! Yeah, yeah... let's just do our best to find her, whoever she may be.

It's still midday! We have enough time. Let's go!

-----

Cheryl POV

Asleep already? 

The clock hit six, we had not had dinner yet and she's so tired already, must have been that coffee. Well we can't keep her out here, I will go find us an inn.

How about that one over there? Seems homey enough. 

"Evening, do you have a room for two?"(Cheryl)

"Y- yes, it would be a hundred quils per night."

Upon hearing I reached to pay the fee but... I came to a little problem.

How should I pay and hold her at the same time. Times like these makes this pendant a damn inconvenience. I can't just drop her. I wonder if I can just hold her in one hand...

hmm...

"Uhm, excuse me, could you take us to our rooms first so that I could lay her down? I promise to pay afterwards."(Cheryl)

"...Yes, I will."

The boy in the counter blushed, how cute, reminds me of my younger years. But unfortunately little boy, I am not in the market anymore, even if I wanted to.

He took us to a room on the second floor, nearing the back. Immediately I laid Reiko down on one of the two beds available and payed the price.

How quaint it is, it's small but sizeable with two beds and a bathroom, all that we needed to survive. 

Oh how I remember my adventuring days. We used to rent out whole buildings and celebrate our spoils, living paycheck to paycheck. Do I miss those days, back when we would drink till we pass out. Sometimes I even wonder how things would have turned out if we hadn't come across her. 

I would've been married by now. Irene would've gone to Yoake Academy . Leon would have returned back to his home city.

...

As much as I hate those memory, at least it's over now. Living with Reiko isn't bad either, despite all the chaos we've had to go through, she's rather charming, a little awkward but charming nonetheless.

Speaking of her, she's been looking for her little sister this entire time. It's been a while since we first met and yet, I don't know much about her. I know her personality and to a degree her likes and dislikes, but I know nothing of her past. I do know she has a sister and dead parents but not much after that.

When I met her she was naked too...

Truly strange you are.

Not just your past, but biologically too. Baseless magic, that demonic fire form, and that eye of yours. Heterochromia, not out of the usual but what is weird is the white pupils surrounded by a black line. 

Sleeping so innocently. Not even aware of your own uniqueness. 

Hah... no point in delving much into her personal matters.

It doesn't matter who you turn out to be, I'll always be there little one.

Cringing every time I see my previous chapters.

Twenty years from now and Cheryl would continue her drunken ways, with a buddy by her side, but until then, NO ACOHOL.

4