Chapter 016: Fake Goods
1.4k 5 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I actually want to focus on this fanfic but I can't help but write my originals (Which I would probably not release anytime soon) in this quarantine.

 

From the time Tian Lang could remember, it was only Yue Yang who taught him anything properly. To him, Yue Yang was a friend and also a teacher. Before he caught this fraud, Tian Lang first hopped out of the room and searched for any trails.

He had to first find his good friend, only then would he have the proof to catch this fake!

However, after a full hour of searching Tian Lang surprisingly found nothing. Even his sensitive nose couldn’t pick his friend’s trail!

Certainly, that fake Yue Yang must’ve hidden his good friend!

Grr!

Angry, he jumped inside the room. He wanted to threaten and force out his good friend’s location from him. He wanted to! But he saw IT.

By IT, he definitely meant the pillar of golden light shooting hundreds of meters in the air. And it originated from a single, oversized book.

It looked a little bronze, its color faded and old but under the golden pillar, it looked holy. It was strangely thick, two or three times thicker than a normal book. The cover was even filled with strange, ancient characters.

A Grimoire!

Tian Lang once touched the Grimoire, and a box and letters popped up in his head. After that, he never touched the Grimoire.

The last time this box appeared was when Hanying tried to tame him. He definitely wanted nothing to do with this Grimoire.

Now, this Yue Yang contracted with a Grimoire, it would definitely try to tame him. Tian Lang shivered at the thought. He would never bow to Yue Yang, much less someone who took Yue Yang’s place!

Tian Lang saw a flying sword emitting strange light. He felt his body was reacting to something and vibrating. The flying sword was then held in the hands of a fairy. It was singing and dancing gracefully, freely moving across the empty space.

The golden light engulfing Yue Yang slowly disappeared, returning back into the book, barely shining in between Yue Yang’s fingers and the book itself. The fairy with the flying sword also disappeared, so the vibrating of Tian Lang’s body.

The silence returned as Tian Lang growled.

Hearing the dog’s growl, Yue Yang froze. He let go of the book out of instinct, but rather than falling down, it floated in the air. The heavy-looking book could unexpectedly fly in the air!

At the door, Lady Xian stood awestruck, its face full of tears.

Lady Xian leaned on the sides of the door, using the door to support its trembling, emotional body. Then, its body seemed to lose strength as it fell onto the ground.

It had watched everything and showed an extremely surprised but happy expression. Its tears flowed like a stream of water, dripping unto its clothes.

“San-er, you, did you succeed in making a contract with a summoning grimoire? Is, is this real? Am I dreaming? Heavens above, this is all thanks to big sis’ blessings. Big sis, did you see that San-er had succeeded in making a contract? I’ve said it before, San-er is not a good-for-nothing... Thank heavens that he’s not, I thank you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of our San-er...” The beautiful human kneeled on the ground, its emotions flowing uncontrolled. It kowtow-ed sincerely, thanking the heavens for their blessings.

Tian Lang became angry, how could this human be so idiot? It was definitely not the same Yue Yang!

As Lady Xian kowtowed, Yue Yang quickly came over and tried to help it up. Although it was a fake, it was still moved by this beautiful human’s love and affection.

At the door, Yue Shuang had returned too, its hands holding a big red pin-wheel. Yue Shuang tilted its head and asked, “Mom, why are you crying on the floor?”

Yue Shuang’s question snapped Lady Xian back to reality. It wiped the tears that drenched its whole face. It quickly ran out of the room.

Tian Lang watched Lady Xian’s fading back and barked at Yue Yang. He would definitely save the real Yue Yang from this fake!

“Tian, Tian, let’s play horse. My pin-wheel would only turn faster if I was riding a horse!”

However, his all resolution flew away when the little lord, Yue Shuang, chased after him. He could only bark threateningly at Yue Yang whilst jumping from bookshelf to bookshelf and circling around the room. Being caught by this wretched human would be the end of his search for the real Yue Yang!

Thankfully, outside the door, Lady Xian who had washed its tears away had returned and put a stop to Yue Shuang’s mischievousness.

But the little human wasn’t so well-behaved and still reached out for him. Lady Xian rebuked it once again as Tian Lang finally felt a bit relieved.

“San-er, quick, let Fourth Mother see your [Inherent Skill] and [Guardian Spirit]... San-er, I’ve said it before that you would definitely succeed... Ah, this is so good, after working hard for so many years, you have finally succeeded. San-er, you have finally become an outstanding person! Quick, open the summoning grimoire and let Fourth Mother look, I’m so excited to see it!”

[Inherent Skill]?

[Guardian Spirit Beast]?

The fake Yue Yang’s face tensed but then relaxed.

“Ahh, okay, but I’m not really sure what my Inherent Skill is.”

If there was one thing Tian Lang was greatly interested in, it would be a Grimoire’s content. Previously he couldn’t understand the criss-cross characters but now he could. He definitely wanted to see what was written in it.

Tian Lang first wanted to jump on Lady Xian’s shoulder but then he saw Yue Shuang eyeing at him and instantly cowered. He jumped on the nearest bookshelf and intently eyed the Grimoire.

By now, he already forgot that this was a fake Yue Yang. His world only revolved around the grimoire and he only saw the summoning grimoire. And while it was a bit far, to his keen wolfy eyes, not even a single detailed left amiss.

When Yue Yang turned his summoning grimoire, Tian Lang realized that the first page was Yue Yang’s own portrait.

Below the portrait, its status was written: Level 1-Beginner [Apprentice].

Under the “Apprentice” words, there was a simple line of Rank Description.

Apprentice: You are the weakest existence in this world, but with hard work, as a grimoire user, you still have hope to become stronger.

When Tian Lang saw that he felt extremely satisfied and relieved. There’s no way such a creature who was deemed as the weakest existence could tame him!

The next page contained information about Inherent Skill. According to what he heard from the original Yue Yang, everyone had their own unique Inherent Skill. Only a handful of people would have an identical Inherent Skill, but almost everyone’s Inherent Skills were totally different.

There were many plausible reasons for that. Not many humans possessing a summoning grimoire was one of them.

When Tian Lang saw the Inherent Skill, he was confused at first.

It wasn’t because there was some rare, or awe-inducing skill but because there was nothing.

Absolute nothing!

After confusion, Tian Lang gloated in Yue Yang’s misery. He found it so funny that he wanted to howl in happiness.

“San-er, it’s okay if you don’t have an Inherent Skill. As long as you work hard, I believe that you could be a strong Ranker like your father…” Lady Xian comforted Yue Yang as its eyes turned red, voice choked with emotions. 

Tian Lang was annoyed to no end. He barked saying this was a fake Yue Yang but his barks fell to deaf’s ears as no one other than Yue Yang reacted.

“Ah?” Yue Yang was bewildered, it definitely had a skill, a unique one at that! How come they say it didn’t have one?

Yue Yang gulped nervously, “Can’t, can’t you see the picture here? You really couldn’t see the words written here?”

Hearing Yue Yang’s question, Lady Xian was startled. Tian Lang even more.

What’s this fake Yue Yang trying.

From his points of view, the summoning grimoire only showed a blank space. There was not a single picture or words. But the fake Yue Yang said otherwise.

“San-er, don’t lie to Fourth Mother. Do you really, really have an Inherent Skill? Fourth Mother can’t see it, what kind of Inherent Skill is it?” Lady Xian looked anxious and nervously held Yue Yang’s hands.

“Uh…It’s [Camouflage], my Inherent Skill is [Camouflage]!” Yue Yang also nervously replied.

“It’s good if you really have an Inherent Skill. Oh my, I was so scared!” Lady Xian was relieved and patted its bountiful fleshy mounds.

Tian Lang, however, didn’t buy it! He refused to believe that he couldn’t see something this weakest existence could see!

He stared hard at the book and continued doing so if look could damage, the grimoire would have uncountable tiny looking holes by now. However, Tian Lang didn’t give up. It was then he felt his vision flipping and everything became clear.

At the same time, Lady Xian’s eyes met with Tian Lang’s. Pleasant surprise flashed by its eyes before it smiled.

Tian Lang’s focus went back to the blank page. On the blank page, now appeared a picture and many words written below.

The picture had an unique feel to it.

On the right was a shadow of a person’s side view, hidden in darkness. If there wasn’t another figure to compare, it would be difficult to recognize that it was Yue Yang. The features on his face weren’t clear, other than a wolf-like eyes, there were no other recognizable face characteristics. The whole picture was dark and blurry, other than the eyes that were shining like a star, there existed no other light.

What made Tian Lang’s stomach churn was the number and description of the skills.

[Camouflage]: You are as cunning as a fox and as treacherous as a poisonous snake. You are like an usurping chameleon who lives under a camouflage. You are a facade, nobody can see through your heart. Your Inherent Skill will increase with your level. Your Inherent Skill current level is 1.

[Divine Vision]: You have eagle-like eyes and sage-like reactions. You are like a death god that sees through living things’ soul. You have an all-seeing vision that sees through the world, so you’ll be immune to illusionary or fake debuffs. Your Inherent Skill will increase with your level. Your Inherent Skill current level is 1.

Tian Lang’s expression was quite amusing to look at. His jaws open and tongue twitched. This was undoubtedly the Twin Star Inherent Skill mentioned by the original Yue Yang!

The original Yue Yang expressed his passing desire to have Twin Star Inherent Skill but believed it to be impossible. For thousands of years, no one awakened this rare skill!

From incredulous Tian Lang’s expression changed to wonder. It definitely had the Twin Start Inherent Skill, why did it say it had only Camouflage Skill?

...

...A sudden realization struck him!

This Yue Yang was lying!!

He always wondered what was so special about lying. Why do humans always ask, ‘Are you not lying with me?’ he finally understood.

Lying, it was such an overpowered skill!

From the looks of it, because Yue Yang was lying, the others couldn’t see his real inherent skills either. How magical!

He had to reassess his evaluation of lying. This was definitely something that he must master. The original Yue Yang said, ‘the human world is treacherous, even if we have to use lies and deception, we must survive and get stronger!’

So this was how one lies!

Tian Lang felt enlightened. He vowed to master the Art of Lying and not disappoint Yue Yang’s teaching!

While Tian Lang reminisced about the original Yue Yang’s teaching, the fake Yue Yang turned to a new page.

“Ah?! It’s all white... Yue Yang, your Guardian Beast is a mist-type beast? Although in the beginning it is not as strong as the strengthening-type and fighting-type beasts, at a later stage, they would become much stronger. As long as it is not the special-type beast then it’s okay! Aih, San-er, your Guardian Beast is really good!” Lady Xian clapped its hands, smiling blissfully.

Tian Lang was dumbfounded instead. 

Because what he saw was definitely not a white fog, but a dark shadow of a figure.

A shadow that looked exactly like Yue Yang’s shadow!

Below the shadow, there were a few lines of description. It was the description of his [Guardian Beast].

Phantom Shadow: Special-type, level 1. You can control your own shadow. Each shadow will have half of your strength. Shadows can be joined together to increase their size.

Tian Lang looked at the description as he recalled what the original and forgotten Yue Yang taught him about [Guardian Beast].

Every warrior in this world can train hard to learn summoning skills and make a contract with a beast. But without a summoning grimoire they were limited to one or two. With a summoning grimoire one can contract with multiple beasts as every page in the grimoire was open for beast contract.

However, the best thing about a summoning grimoire was not the limit in making contracts, but allowing a grimoire user to have his own [Guardian Beast]. This type of [Guardian Beasts] were not the same as the normal Beasts. They would never die nor betray their master. Guardian Beasts would also grow alongside its master, there was no need for other conditions to be met. As long the user’s power increased, or that the summoning grimoire level increased, the [Guardian Beast] would also be stronger.

And a Guardian Beast would never betray their master!

Suddenly Yue Yang frowned, “Eh?”

“What’s wrong?” Lady Xian looked at Yue Yang’s surprised expression and asked with concern, “What happened?”

“It’s nothing. My mana is not enough to summon my Guardian Beast right now.” Yue Yang shook his head and looked down.

Tian Lang’s nails suddenly stretched and he launched at the fake Yue Yang. He couldn’t take it anymore. This human was so shameless and hateable that he finally wanted to draw some blood.

But suddenly, he saw Lady Xian standing before him and his claws directly fell on her fleshy mounds!

As expected there was some tearing sound, but only the outer skin layer, or clothes, tore and nothing happened to the Human’s skin.

“Tian, what are you doing?” Lady Xian asked in a rebuking tone.

“Woooo~” Tian Lang sulked like a wronged kid. This human would definitely punish him but he glared at the fake Yue Yang.

Baring his fangs, he barked threateningly.

Grrrrgh!
Woof!

Yue Yang took two steps back, cold sweat dripping its back.

Wasn’t this dog a bit too ferocious? It couldn’t help but wonder.

It had managed to hide its identity. But this dog recognized it as ‘fake goods’.

What will happen in the future?

42