Chapter 021: Looting?
949 3 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Wooh~

When the last drops of Dragon Crystal passed through Tian Lang’s throat, only then did he spare a glance at his surroundings.

“...y Great Brother, you seem new to Tong Tian Tower, do you need a guide? Just 20 coppers would do. Wait, brother, don’t go. 15 coppers. Just 15 coppers, and I’ll guide through the whole Royal Dragon Valley and Star’s Domain! What? You doubt my guiding capabilities because of my scrawny frame? Don’t worry! I’ve been guiding handsome brothers and beautiful sisters just like yours for years! Just ask around, and you will know the Expert Guide Ye Kong! I’m also a great warrior!”

When Tian Lang focused, he heard a hoarse sounding human. He only peeked from the woods. No matter what, he couldn’t do as he pleased here.

Tong Tian Tower.

His lost friend, Yue Yang, had told him countless legends about Tong Tian Tower.

According to the legends, every floor of the Tong Tian Tower contained a world within them. And the fourth floor of the Tong Tian Tower was as big as the Soaring Dragon Continent. Every floor above had a world bigger and vaster than the one below.

With his little wisdom and knowledge, Tian Lang could only keep wondering how big that could be, but now, he had to find out his location.

The higher the floor, the stronger foes he will face. Information was indeed crucial, no matter the place.

That damn hateful human hadn’t even bothered to tell him where it left him!

However, Tian Lang had something he lacked before.

Knowledge.

Maybe not everything. Or perhaps not a lot either. But he had some knowledge to not be utterly clueless as his olden days.

From the conversation of the humans, it seemed to be the entry point inside the Tong Tian Tower. As for which floor, he had heard about Royal Dragon Valley and Star’s Domain so much that the floor name instantly flashed before his eyes.

The First Floor of the Tong Tian Tower.

That seemed kind of easy to guess. After all, that human might be hateful, but it had excellent knowledge and wisdom. If he wanted to get strong, he had to start from the start.

He had to take the first floor’s missions and conquer all of them with flying colors. Only then would he head to the second floor of the Tong Tian Tower.

But Tian Lang found his future bleak too soon.

Everything...

Everything seemed to be under Human control.

They even required coins to take on those missions.

On top of all that, Tian Lang remembered only a summoner can take the missions, and they couldn’t fight, only their own beasts.

Which... seemed everything Tian Lang couldn’t do.

Not a human.

Penniless.

And.

Definitely not a Summoner.

Not like he can go boom and become a summoner.

And have lots of pennies.

No, if he even tried to give them money to take on those challenges, they might start running after him. Apparently. Well, it was something he didn’t put his attention to, but apparently, beasts with intelligence unlocked are fiercely sought for. They had good scores in Star Rating and the highest chance of becoming a Holy Beast.

He started to realize why every human tried to form a contract with him so eagerly. Seems like his talent blinded all humans to follow him. Such is the life of the Great Tian Lang.

He could never remain hidden.

Though, the genius pup started to get impatient. His mind began to race with some ridiculous thought. Sitting in a place and doing nothing? That’s definitely not Tian Lang.

Tian Lang and sitting peacefully couldn’t co-exist in a single sentence.

Kill the guards and continue the tests?
No, that won’t work. Yang said these guards are all from a bigger alliance. Even unimaginably strong guys would think twice before antagonizing them.
Right, I can go to the next floor. No, no, I don’t remember the second-floor having free space but the third floor has many sections occupied by Beast Kings. As long as I can occupy one of them, I can live there!
I just need some kind of proof of achievement to get to the next floor.
Ah!

Right, Humans controlled the path to the next floor too.

NO!!!

Tian Lang refused to believe that he had no way to get to the next floor. What about the beasts of this floor? When they get stronger, they need to go up, right? Humans couldn’t hunt them all, right?

Humans can go to the next floor, beasts should have the same right, correct?

That human, it didn’t leave me to die, right?

...

As the hateful human’s image flashed before his eyes, those fleshy mounds reminded Tian Lang of his path. His target. His destination. His reason for existence.

Tian Lang’s thoughts stopped and suddenly deflated.

If he wanted to occupy a place and happily live, why did he leave the Yue Villa?

Sure, the fake Yue Yang had been gaining strength faster than expected but he could get stronger. Well, he might not know how but he could find a way.

But the reason he left the Yue Villa was to learn more about the world and find a way to become a Holy Beast with big fleshy mounds!

If he kept running away, how could he get stronger? How could he have such formidable fleshy mounds?

I can’t run away! Tian Lang thought with strong determination.

I just have to find a damn way to take those challenges...

At that time, Tian Lang saw a human enter the Star’s Domain teleportation gate. It had a steel-like human following suit.

Puppet-type Beast.

Tian Lang heard about them and saw many illustrations. Coincidently, The Yue Villa created the puppet-type beasts and was famous for their puppets. They also acted as beasts but had no life, yet they could be contracted.

Naturally, it wasn't what caught Tian Lang’s attention.

Maybe the summoner didn’t need to summon a beast after entering the Star’s Domain’s challenge. They just had to have a creature with them. If Tian Lang thought correctly, then all he had to do was find a suitable human who could take him through the challenges.

For the first time, Tian Lang thought that it might be better if that human had small fleshy mounds. Since it would have low strength, he need not unnecessary worries. But if the human was too weak, he might miss the better challenges.

When Tian Lang thought this much, he became motivated. Since he already had the plan in mind, nothing could stop him.

Tian Lang decided to be cautious and carefully observe his target. In the meantime, he could check out his other options.

The First Floor of the Tong Tian Tower didn’t just end with Royal Road Valley and Star’s Domain. It had other minor missions.

Tian Lang had little knowledge about Star’s Domain because the rate of successful challenges were too few. He heard that it had 12 continuous missions known as the Twelve Zodiac Temple.

However, he had detailed explanations about some main missions.

Misty Woodland, Pomen Rainforest, Mud-stone Valley, and Blackstone Labyrinth these four main missions which rewarded True Vision Pupil, Beast’s Soul, Gaia’s Crystal, and Heart of Oak, respectively. There were also other missions but due to their less tempting reward, they were less popular.

The first time Tian Lang heard of it, he instantly wanted that Beast’s Soul.

Ah, what did it do?

Even though Yue Yang explained it, Tian Lang couldn’t understand. But he did know it was beneficial for Fighting-type Beasts.

True Vision Pupil also sounded interesting. This ability gave a beast better sight and the ability to judge their enemy better. As good as it sounded, Tian Lang almost wanted to save it for the last when he remembered the description of Misty Woodland.

However, out of the three, it was indeed the only one that tempted him.

Tian Lang moved out of his hiding spot. He knew the general direction of the Pomen Rainforest, thanks to some noob humans asking around.

“Damn, is that a Bronze Ranked Moonlight Wolf pup?”

“Man, I wish I had one!”

Even though Tian Lang wished to be discreet, some paths were completely open. He could move faster, but he learned his lesson from past mistakes. Getting in some unfamiliar and tacky places was the last thing he wanted. He moved fast but slow enough to not miss his direction.

While some only exclaimed in regret, some already sprinted after the pup. One of the humans stopped a furiously running human and asked curiously, “Where ya going, mate? Is there anything fun to watch?”

“Dude, suck it up if you don’t know. Haven’t you heard there’s a mutated Moonlight Wolf pup running around the floor? More importantly, it's not contracted!” the human shook off its arm and ran even faster to make the lost time.

That nearby humans instantly perked up, “Uncontracted Moonlight Wolf pup? Even mutated?!”

“I heard it even has minor intelligence!”

“Great pup, choose me! I’m rich!”

“Kya~! It’s looking at me! I struck it rich! No, don’t go!”

Naturally, Tian Lang only spared them a glance. He only saw a group of mindless humans with basic intelligence.

It was then Tian Lang realized, finding a suitable human gonna be a lot troublesome.

And then, Tian Lang also added at least intermediate level intelligence to his requirement.

When Tian Lang reached his destination, there were hardly any humans following him. He hid in a nearby corner as he watched the humans gather around the teleportation gate.

Thankfully, this place had no guard. He waited for the glimmer of light in the teleportation gate. And as soon as it shined, Tian Lang burst out with all his power.

Only a few humans faintly noticed a silvery flash as the others remained oblivious. However, all said and done, the light of the teleport portal subsided with no one inside.

...

The Pomen Rainforest’s starting point had eight roads. All of them faced a single direction. Of course, one could go off-road, but the underground traps and occasional poisons insect hives gave enough scare to avoid doing that. Not to mention, if one got lost, it might take days to weeks before they find their way back.

One specialty of this rainforest is no one had to starve here. If they survived, that is.

After avoiding the group of humans with him, Tian Lang took one of the eight routes. Clearing one mission fast, and starting the next would be optimal.

He also had to look for a human to enter the Star’s Domain.

As expected of the minor missions on the first floor of the Tong Tian Tower. The tasks were simple enough. Aside from the poisonous snakes, monkeys, insects jumping out of the trees and some tree roots, he had nothing to take care of.

Even the snakes and tree roots posed no threat to him. He could walk off without minding anything and still come out without a scratch.

Tian Lang jumped out of another slope; just then, five humans jumped out of the bushes and surrounded him.

“Fang, are you sure this is the one?” one of the humans asked.

“Leader Jun, I’m sure. I was there yesterday. Not only is this pup mutated, but it also seems intelligent too!” Fang replied passionately. Thinking of something, it hurriedly added, “Leader, tempting it won’t do. Yesterday, a rich guy summoned his female wolf and also a Silver-Ringed Fruit, but this pup didn’t care about him at all!”

“Heh,” Leader Jun smirked with interest, “Just the way I like it. Guys, summon your beasts. Don’t let it run away!”

Four humans took out their summoning crystals and chanted while Leader Jun focused and murmured softly.

Naturally, Tian Lang didn’t sit back and watch. Just them ambushing him left a bad taste in his mouth. He kicked the ground, and his fang silently sank on the nearest human’s throat. Like a hot knife cutting through butter, his fangs sliced through the neck bones easily.

His shadow flickered and moved like a liquid. Three sharp cones jumped and pierced through another human’s head, chest, and stomach.

Simultaneously, a wave of golden light burst into view, immediately forming a pale red dome that covered Leader Jun’s body. The other two humans also summoned two beasts from their summoning crystals.

Thud
Thud

Thump!

The continuous dropping sound finally attracted their companions’ attention, and all humans thought they were dreaming.

What happened?

Weren’t they just summoning their beasts? How could two of their companions just die like that?

The shadow spikes slowly returned to the shadow, and the body rested on the ground soundlessly. The humans died without making a noise.

The Shadow Leopard rose and skipped.

“Ahh!–”

“Ahhhh!”

Aside from Leader Jun, the humans screamed, but the leopard stopped one halfway.

Tian Lang followed suit and skipped a step on the ground. His claw precisely pierced through the human’s heart.

The original Yue Yang didn’t teach him about demons and monsters only. It also taught him about humans. Their weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Attacking which areas brought no result. After all, more often than not, [Summoners] had to fight against other warriors or summoners. And Yue Yang taught him with the mind of fighting alongside Tian Lang one day.

One of the summoned beasts ran off to some random direction, and the other one went limp.

Leader Jun trembled violently. His hand entered his backpack, but the violent quivering hardly let him reach for what he wanted.

Ignoring the limp Level 3 Manticore, Tian Lang frowned at the Halo Shield.

His previous experience with Halo Shield had left some bad memories. For all he heard, Halo Shield was unbreakable. And for all he knew, it wasn’t so indestructible but... just hard and yet to accomplish.

Still, rather than breaking it, Tian Lang wanted to satisfy his unfulfilled curiosity.

He raised his paw and touched the Halo Shield rather than attacking it. Going further, he even pressed his head against the Halo Shield.

Leader Jun, who finally grabbed what he was searching for, became confused.

What’s this demon-like pup trying to do? Is it a contract? Maybe because I am a Grimoire user, this pup wants to enter a contract with me?

On the other hand, Tian Lang sighed regrettably.

Not possible after all...

Last time, when he realized he passed through the shield, he attacked it with his full strength. Later, when he recalled, he realized if he hadn’t attacked, maybe he could pass through? Hence the experiment.

Though the result only brought him another disappointment.

Tian Lang raised his paw again, and this time, he attacked.

Boom!

Winds blew, twigs scattered. Leader Jun gritted its teeth and threw a contract scroll at him. And when it saw the fine pieces of the scroll, it instantly regretted.

Holding onto the fear and mental breakdown, Leader Jun unfurled the scroll, which it searched for its dear life, and disappeared along with a flash.

Tian Lang scrutinized. Definitely a trick he was unaware of.

It almost looked like the... teleportation gate?

Tian Lang mused as he searched for his direction. Looking at the dead bodies and the forest, Tian Lang felt helpless. Then his eyes fell on the pouch of the humans.

He almost, yes, almost ignored them.

Then he thought of a problem. If he found a human that met his requirement but had no money, then?

Tian Lang quickly took the pouch and tried to pry it open, which he ended up tearing apart. It only had some copper and silvers. He took the pouches from other bodies too.

In total, it had two gold coins and some silver and copper. Even though Tian Lang didn’t know their value, he felt they were definitely not enough.

The summoning crystals.

Naturally, his first reaction was to eat them. Or try to eat them. Which failed spectacularly. They didn’t melt like beast crystals. So when he bit one of them, they fragmented into uncountable pieces.

So he had them packed inside his shadow by the leopard.

Why didn’t he do it?

All because of his failed experiment.

Tian Lang could keep things inside the shadow, but he could never find it back. Many experiments led Tian Lang to the current result. If he went with the item, he could take it out, but once he left the shadow realm without the item, he could never find it back. Nor could the Shadow Leopard do so either.

The Shadow Leopard could only control things it kept, not the things stored by Tian Lang.

Naturally, Tian Lang was both furious and indignant, but he was too far from understanding shadow.

Not that it mattered when he had the Shadow Leopard.

Tian Lang glanced between his previous route and the forest.

Things just never get easy for him.

 

27