Chapter 30
132 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although Lucas had never been the kind of person to hang out at the mall with friends, even he was keenly aware of how unsettling the dark department store was when he entered. Empty shelves, discarded shopping carts, and garbage littered the floors. Lilly’s eyes automatically adjusted to the dimmer interior lighting but that only served to illuminate how stripped and barren the store truly was.

Most places this close to the front have closed down. Lilly commented on Lucas’ thoughts. It never takes people long to break in and take anything valuable.

It felt strange to Lucas that seeing a shopping center in such a state was far more unnerving to him than seeing the impending firefight in the distance.

Have you ever gone shopping with your girlfriend at a place like this? Lilly asked with a subtle smile in her voice.

Lucas’ face flushed immediately. No…

Oh, right. 

If his mentally paired AI had control over her own head, Lucas could picture her nodding it sagely.

You took her somewhere much nicer didn’t you? She unsuccessfully stifled her own laughter. Come on, let’s go help the rest of the squad.

A small waypoint appeared on Lucas’ display and guided him out of the shopping area and into the office space that occupied the rear third of the building. The eight other members of Viator squad were hard at work creating and reinforcing fighting positions along the back wall. Seven nearly identical robotic soldiers continued loading and placing sandbags. Amber, who’s slightly smaller frame obscured her from view, was the only one who’s head snapped up when Lucas and Lilly entered the room.

“Where’s the ammo Lilly was waiting for?” Ashten asked loudly.

The rest of the team glanced at her first before following her gaze to where Lucas stood.

He awkwardly jerked his thumb over his shoulder. “It’s being unloaded now. Some of our neighbors will be bringing it inside.”

“Neighbors?” James scoffed. “We’re in a warzone. Try to remember that, squad leader.”

Lucas simply stared back at James without responding. He wanted to lower his head to avoid eye contact, but felt his neck refusing to budge.

What are you doing? Lucas knew there was only one other person who could be interfering with his bodily autonomy.

I don’t mind tolerating a bit of back talk. My opinion is that soldiers need to feel free to express their open and honest opinion about us, but I’m going to help you stick up for yourself Lucas. Lilly responded firmly. Even if that means just holding a jerk’s gaze for a few seconds.

James shook his head and broke eye contact.

Perfect. Lilly said smugly. Now hit them with the satisfied head nod.

Lucas frowned but nodded his head like Lilly asked. It was impossible to read the LED eyes of his squad members, but Lucas thought he felt some level of approval from them.

“Well, I’m glad you're here, squad leader.” Dug announced. “You can help me convince Kenneth that it’s possible to have a pillow fight with sandbags.”

“What?” Kenneth turned incredulously towards Dug. “Why would-”

Kenneth’s response was cut off by a half filled sandbag that Dug swung directly into Kenneth’s chest. Kenneth was thrown back onto a nearby desk, which promptly buckled under the weight of his AI’s metal body.

“Got ‘em.” Dug fist bumped himself.

“Just like the simulations.” Danny, Dug’s AI, laughed aloud at his own joke.

Kenneth lifted his head and both of his arms off of the floor in absolute confusion. “Yo?!”

“You were feeling a little tense.” Dug stepped over to Kenneth and offered him a hand up. “I was just trying to loosen you up a bit.”

Kenneth looked at Dug’s hand for a long moment before he started laughing.

“I’m feeling much looser now, thanks.” Kenneth clapped his hand into Dug’s own and pulled himself up. “Alex is telling me there’s no damage to our intestines so I guess no harm no foul.”

After dusting himself off, Kenneth glanced over to Ashten. Lucas now realized that Ashten had been the only one to keep her focus on Lucas while everything else happened.

“Hey Dug. Heads up!” Christina called out from across the room.

Lucas turned in time to see a blurred sandbag fly past everyone and strike Dug directly in the face.

“Is your brain loose enough now?” Christina sounded extremely smug as she leaned against a nearby wall.

The rest of the squad got a good laugh out of Christina’s well timed justice for Kenneth.

Well, not quite the whole squad. Lucas had to correct himself as he realized that James, Ashten, and himself had all remained silent.

James had his usual air of disapproval while Ashten continued to stare at Lucas.

How do you feel about it? Lilly probed internally.

Lucas frowned. I’m not really sure. I’ve had teammates do similar things in the past to relieve some pre-game stress, but I’m not usually involved.

He furrowed his brow and mulled over the question seriously.

I guess I’m not against it. Although, I don’t really think we should be lobbing sandbags at-

 Lucas heard a few unfamiliar voices coming from the open doorway behind him. He turned to find a few human national guardsmen pulling in a pallet full of ammo boxes.

“You guys Viator squad?” A grimey young man asked Lucas as the two other soldiers caught their breath.

“We are.” James stepped forward before Lucas could respond. “We’ve cleared out a safe position back here. Follow me.”

James directed the three guardsmen a short distance away and helped them deposit the large supply of ammunition. Lucas was about to direct everyone back to work when a radio buzzed to life in his ear.

You’re going to want to hear this. Lilly’s vibrations turned extremely serious as the radio traffic began to clear up.

“All call signs in the Denver area this is Aegis command. Red Sky, say again, Red Sky. Medusas in the field. Break. All remaining units along defensive line alpha, fall back to phase line charlie. Say again, All remaining units along defensive line alpha, fall back to phase line charlie. All units along defensive line bravo prepare for immediate contact, over.”

The chatter around the room fell silent as the radio continued to buzz out chatter between command and control units. The three national guardsmen all exchanged a look.

“We better get back. Watch yourselves out here Viator.” The closest guardsmen to James held a fist up to him.

Lucas watched his second team leader hesitate for a moment before bumping the proffered fist with his own. “Y-yeah. You guys as well.”

“We better get back to it.” Lucas announced quietly.

Viator squad quickly got back to work as the sounds of distant fighting began to grow closer.

 

Good stuff to come. Thanks to all that continue to read Focal Point. I hope you enjoy and I'll try to post again as soon as I am able.

7