Interlude 4
105 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Audio log recovered from Aegis Command Center memory banks]

[Audio originally recorded in Combat Control Center one at General William A. Corter’s command station]

[...]

[Begin Playback]

(A low constant buzz of voices fill the background)

(A male voice sighs loudly as rapid footsteps draw closer to the microphone)

“I’m sure you’re well aware of how busy I am at the moment, lieutenant.”

(The footsteps stop and an angry female voice responds nearby)

“Captain Dunn has informed me that viator squad has been deployed to the frontline.”

(A chair creaks loudly before the male voice responds)

“Was there a question in your statement lieutenant?”

“Sir. The purpose of viator-”

“I’m well aware of their purpose. You’d do well to remember that I was the one who greenlit the entire project.”

(A tense few seconds pass before the female voice speaks again)

“If I might inquire sir, why then is viator being thrown into the meat grinder?”

“Metal needs to undergo immense heat and pressure in order to purify its imperfections. Trial by fire. Viator will adapt or they will die. It’s that simple lieutenant and I would appreciate it if we could stop repeating this conversation. Especially in the open.”

(The female voice lowers their volume considerably before continuing the conversation)

“Is the target confirmed to be present, sir?”

“Not as confirmed as I would like, but the chances are too high not to act on. It’s time to finally see what these kids are capable of.”

[...]

[End of file]

[Terminating playback]

 

I hope to add the next actual chapter this weekend but we'll see how things pan out. Thanks for reading.

7