15. Interview
1.9k 21 145
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey all! Welcome to chapter 15! Its been a pleasure writing this for y'all and I hope you are enjoying it. I know a lot of people have been waiting for this moment,  so here's hoping it fulfills your expectations! Also, not to be a horrible plug, but if I set up a Kofi or something, would any of you use it?

“Whiskey, Mr. Matson?” Not wanting to be rude, I agreed and he poured two glasses, sliding one towards me. Before I even touched my glass, the captain tapped his on the wooden desk twice and knocked back the entire glass. 

The man seemed to soak in the taste of the drink for a quiet moment before looking back at me. 

“Soren, you certainly seem to be really making waves around my ship over the last three days. You did a bang-up job offloading that arm, earning you high marks with Morik and the rest of the cargo handlers.” He paused to set down the glass and lean back in his chair.  

“Somehow during all of that you made a big enough impression on my daughter that she chose to jump ship and spend the day aboard the station with you rather than oversee operations aboard the ship like she was supposed to.” The expression on his face easily showed his bemused feelings on that matter.

Marcus continued. “The dock master of D’reth also had nothing but high praise for you as he and I spoke. With my own impression of your work, the recommendations of Roark, and my daughter’s experiences with you, all taken together, I decided that dinner would be an adequate repayment for services rendered.”

The captain appeared to be building up to something and I was getting uncomfortable waiting for the other shoe to drop. For his part, the man across from me simply shifted to rest his chin in a hand propped up on the chair’s armrest. 

“At that dinner, Mr. Matson, you had the gall to impress myself and most of my senior crew even further with your manners, intelligence and coolheadedness, despite the impropriety that your manager imposed on us. And now…” He leaned forward to level a look at me that bore straight into my head. “My ship has a mechanical fault that stumped even my lead engineer, a man with the better part of twenty years experience just on this ship, and you not only diagnosed the root cause, but gave the solution that saved us all a significant amount of time and possibly money for repairs. I really don’t like the situation you’ve put me in, pilot.”

I sat nervously silent while Marcus poured himself another glass and this time only sipped at it. He took a deep breath before looking back at me again. 

“The way I see it, my company owes you quite the debt, and I don’t believe a simple dinner is going to cut it this time, no matter how excellent that dinner was. So tell me, Soren, what can Erickson Enterprises do for you to clear this debt?”

My heart nearly stopped at the question and words failed me. Hands shaking, I grasped the glass that had been poured for me and poured the contents down my throat. Once the liquid fire had finished its journey to my belly, I sat up in my seat and made an effort to straighten my less than formal top. The chance was being served to me on a golden platter and I wanted to use it to accomplish what my goal had been all day.

“W-Well, sir, uh… It was my thought that if you are planning to be a part of the slipspace gate project here and beyond, you might need a few more crew, possibly including a pilot with experience in zero gravity repair, salvage and construction work, such as myself? I can even bring the Oxide with me. Like your daughter said at dinner the other night, it's just about perfect for that kind of work.”

His response was a hearty laugh. “Son, you have the CEO of a well-known company offering you a blank check and you ask to come work for me?”

“Yes sir… If that is not a possibility, then I apologise--” 

I was cut off by Marcus shaking his head. “No, don’t get me wrong, I would love to have someone of your skillset on my team. That is not in question at all. What I want to know is why you would want to leave your current situation and why that is all you would ask in return for the debt we owe you?”

I blinked owlishly. “May I speak freely, sir?”

“Of course. This is my personal office. There are no listening ears here outside of us.”

“Thank you, sir. My situation here is not as stable as you might think. Kruger, as head of the Torgal branch here, has done much to assist pilots like myself in getting set up in our work. He even paid the deposit for my quarters on the station as part of my sign on benefits. Once we are in the business, however, it isn’t easy to get out.

“Kruger ‘graciously’ offers lease contracts that include access to Torgal-owned ships and exclusive rights over certain salvage. Lessee pilots make better profit and have their port fees and services subsidised by the company. What most pilots don’t realise while looking at those contracts, though, is that if you sign one, he practically owns you for the next two years at minimum. You can not leave or even attempt to do business with any other company at risk of losing absolutely everything and getting blacklisted by one of the largest corporations in the galaxy.”

I motioned at myself. “For those of us who don’t sign on that line, we are constantly overworked, underpaid and have to deal with hidden clauses in our contracts that allow Torgal to extract extra work, fees, and service charges for nearly any action we take in and around the salvage docks. I pay service fees to have cargo offloaded, with additional costs if that cargo contains what the inspectors deem as ‘hazardous’ salvage. There are fees if I leave my ship in Torgal-controlled docking areas overnight, but there are extra charges for offsite or expedited unloading if I want to be able to move out of the Torgal docks.” 

My tone easily displayed my frustrations. “The profit still isn’t insubstantial, but for every three credits I make, two of them go back to Kruger to pay overhead costs. Add to that the anxiety and irritation that comes with even simply talking with him or his golden pilots and it makes for an incredibly negative work environment that I no longer wish to be slaving under.”

The captain seemed to ponder my words for a minute. “That sounds unpleasant, to put it mildly. Borderline illegal in fact. Can’t say I blame you for wanting to leave. Thank you for your absolute candour. Honestly, this makes me even more sure that I don’t want to do business with the man. I try to be a fair man in my dealings. I will not tolerate snakes in my bed.” Marcus shook his head and huffed in disdain. 

“Though that brings me once again to the point that I feel I must thank you, Matson.”

Hope reigned supreme in my heart as the man finished his words with a small smile and a nod in my direction. His next words cut deeper than a knife in the heart though.

“All that in mind, I can’t, in good conscience, just take you on as an employee to settle our debt.”

I choked on my next sip of whiskey and spluttered out, “Why? Do you not think I would be a good fit? I can ask my former captain for references and proof of my skills?!” I was almost panicking as everything appeared to go wrong.

“Easy there, Soren,” he said. I froze in response as panic was stalled by confusion.

“I would like nothing more than to have you join my company. As a matter of fact, I think you would be a valuable addition in every way. I would be a fool to turn down an offer so stacked in my favour.

“If that were all though, I would be profiting all the more when I am attempting to repay a debt. As I said, I am a fair man, so I have a counter offer that will, hopefully, even that score. I was planning on giving you a fair sum to pay for your professional service as an engineer. But if you are putting the continued services of both yourself and your ship up in addition to services already rendered? I’m going to have to up my offer significantly, because that's an opportunity I can not pass up.”

For a moment, I was scared that I might have to see a medic for whiplash as his message sank in. A shiver shot down my spine.

Without missing a beat, Marcus continued. “Your vessel is indeed something I see as a valuable asset. If I am to have it, though, I want it to have every bit of capability that I can afford. You mentioned that you were only missing a navigation computer for your ship to be jump-ready, right?”

I nodded.

“Then I gladly and unreservedly offer you the sum needed to purchase that piece of equipment, get it installed properly, and go through the needed inspections to certify the Oxide as an interstellar-capable vessel along with a generous salary and sign-on bonus if you would give me the pleasure of you joining Erickson Enterprises.

“If you agree, you and your ship will remain a semi independent entity attached to our frontier gate project. I have no problem in giving you complete authority over your personal operations as long as they benefit the mission. As an owner and pilot of your own vessel, you’ve earned that much. Of course, you will be stationed on a long range ship, so room and board will be included as well.”

From what had felt like death’s door, my heart suddenly was in my throat. The offer was everything I had ever dreamed of in a career. I would be able to see the stars again. There was only one last order of business before I could take the deal. 

“Respectfully sir, that is…” I shivered in shock. “It’s an incredible offer.” To even my own surprise, I bravely pushed further. “I would ask one further thing of you in order to proceed, though.”

Marcus raised an eyebrow. “And that is?”

My conversations with Echo and Captain Blackburn in mind, I set my shoulders and spoke firmly. “If I am to proceed, I want it to be as myself. Sir, I have known for many years that I am, much like your daughter was, being seen as someone I am not. I would ask that if I am to join, it be as Adrestra Matson, not Soren.”

The man across from me smiled broadly but made no effort to rebuke me or in any way demean the request. Instead, he stood and offered a hand. “Then I must say, I look forward to working with you, if I may be so bold, Miss Matson.” The emphasis he placed on the salutation sent me to the heavens with exuberance and tears threatened to spill over. 

“Thank you, sir. I look forward to it as well.” I stood up as well and shook the offered hand, unable to contain the smile that was bursting from my face. 

“Thank you for the trust you’ve shown by telling me. I assume you have plans for how you want to remedy your situation? Also, do I have your permission to inform my staff of your identity, or would you prefer to do so yourself?”

“Yes, sir, I do have plans.” I responded. “I’ve been saving up for years to pay for the same service Echo got. I hope you will give me the time I need to do so once I am able? As for the second question, feel free if and when you deem it appropriate amongst your people.” I let out a weak chuckle. “I’m not exactly stellar at sharing it myself.”

The man who was suddenly soon to be my boss never even slightly faltered. 

“On the business side of things, I find that it is within my best interest to support my employees in every way I can when it comes to such things. When you can be comfortable in your own skin and content with your life, you make for a much better employee.

“On the personal side of the matter, I am more than happy to allow people to take time off if it means that a better version of them will come back to work. I may be a businessman, but the happiness of the people that I employ is worth more to me than that extra credit of profit.”

It was almost blasphemy to hear a man of business say such things. However, the difference between this man and Harvey Kruger was refreshing in more ways than I could say. His statements only made me respect him even more and cemented my desire to work for Captain Erickson.

“Well,” said the captain. “If you will excuse me, I have a few things that need to be taken care of, including getting with the employee resources director to write up a contract for you to review. I also have an idea of where I may be able to point you for that computer you need. I’ll need to make some calls, though. May I have the specs for your ship and your personal stellar comms contact?”

As prompted, I keyed my holopad and tapped my wrist against his desk, the information appearing on its display. it took everything I had not to blabber on about how thankful I was. Instead I offered a simple “Good day, sir, and thank you again.”

With a slight smirk that showed exactly where his daughter had gotten it from, Marcus responded. “The pleasure is mine, Miss Matson. Now, I would ask if you needed a guide back to the docking port, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I need not offer.”

Taking his words as dismissal, I turned to leave the office, somewhat confused by the cryptic statement, but also semi confident that I could piece my way back without assistance. As the door opened to let me through, however, I found my path blocked by a very pretty obstacle.

Echo made a startled noise when I almost ran into her and both of us blushed slightly. 

“I wasn’t eavesdropping, I promise. I just figured that it had been a while and the computer was still collecting all of the requested information and….” I wasn’t entirely sure whom she was talking to, but her father spoke up before I could.

“It’s alright, Starlight, no need to fuss. Your friend and I were just discussing her future employment.”

Her eyes went wide at the casual statement. “Her employment?” The separate stresses on the questioning words got both of the implied questions across to me clearly and I smiled and nodded enthusiastically. “Ahh! Adresta! Welcome to the family! Well, the company, but you know what I mean!” Echo then hugged me tight and my face did its best tomato impression while my heart did flips in my chest.

“Y-Yeah, the company. Right.”

A quick shoutout here to my incredible new BETA reader, Psiah! Cheers to an even better story now!

145