Chapter 9
1.4k 8 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Next day at night after going back to his bedroom in the capital mansion, Adrian wore a black combat dress with armor and his face covered, he then went to the balcony of his room, he waited until two men appeared and landed beside him. They then kneeled and said, " Sir we are ready". Adrian nodded and said, "Let's go".

 

They were headed to the demon cult's hideout in the capital, Adrian had already got news from Adis that Brad Lucifer and his son would leave the capital the next day in the morning  after the birthday party to go to his domain. So the cult was free of his presence, prime opportunity to take it out, ofc he didn't let his father know as he would be worried , the other two people are from the information agency and are trained assassins. 

 

Adrian knew that in this world to survive he needs two important things, the are firstly some real life experience in combat because no matter how much you train real combat is different and secondly the ability to kill, saying that he is going to kill someone and killing for real is different and as someone from a peaceful world in his previous life he needed to make his mind be able to kill, otherwise he may not be able to face the dangers later.

 

The three arrived at an abandoned building at the outskirts of the capital. Adrian told the two to scan the area and he himself used magic to scan. There weren't any guards, he guessed to prevent suspicion and also because they were too sure of their hideout. Adrian saw through magic sight that there were 16 people inside in black robes sitting at a table, there were several magic scrolls, human heads, on the table, the room was light by candle light and there was stench of blood and mutilated remains of some people who were "sacrifices".

 

There was an altar with the statue of a demon on top. Adrian told the two to stay where they are and to only help if needed, he wanted to do this on his own, they hesitated but agreed.

 

"Now then, let's do this", Adrian said that and used magic to reinforce and strengthen his body , took out his sword and lunged forward to launch a surprise attack, he went for the leader first, before the leader could react his head was cut.

 

The others shouted and prepared to attack. Adrian was too fast for them, he blitz and started cutting people at incredible speeds, some tried attacking with magic but he was too fast for them and ended up finishing everyone in 20 seconds.

 

The two assassins couldn't help but say, "What a monster". Thankfully Adrian didn't hear that. After finishing Adrian looked at his handiwork and almost puked but he held himself and steeled his resolve to prevent his shaking. He knew he was going to have nightmares of this but it couldn't be helped. He then made his way back, cleaned himself with magic, got into his pajamas and tried to sleep but couldn't. when he did eventually sleep he woke soon with a nightmare.

 

The next morning he was having breakfast with his family, he looked tired and brooded so Dirk and Alice asked what was wrong but he said he had a nightmare and everything was fine, it was technically true anyway. After that Dirk mentioned the new that apparently the base of the demon cult in the capital was destroyed yesterday by  unknown individuals, Adrian flinched but didn't say anything, thankfully no one noticed.

 

Dirk also said that there were several engagement prospects for Adrian from different noble families but he rejected them cuz he believed that his son had the right to choose his own partner. Adrian knew his dad would do this but he still appreciated it and said thanks, Alice was also happy for some reason, maybe she thought her brother will be taken away? 

 

After 4 days they left for returning back to their territory. after arriving the first thing Adrian did was ask Adis for the details in territory management and the people who were embezzling money. He went to his father and said he wanted to learn how to run the Duchy. His father was surprised but happy and agreed.

 

A year later:

 

Adrian had gotten rid of all the corrupt officials.  He made sure money goes to the right places and ensured development. He repaired the worn out roads, built new ones. He created funds where common people could get loans at low interest and start businesses, he hired merchants to teach people business administration, created laws conducive for businesses.

 

He even ensured proper crop cultivation is done with irrigation canals, so the crop production doubled. He made laws and ensured strict policing of his territory so crimes became less and less, he also made sure to compensate affected individuals of robbery or other crimes by taking from the captured robbers and giving the money back to the affected people which wasn't a practice before. He also made strict laws against improper money lenders.

 

Due to all of this many new businesses were formed, merchants found the place to be a lucrative option for business. Hence due to all of this the economy of the duchy greatly improved and became 3 times the previous year, which made it higher than any Marquis house and only lower than the royal family or other Dukes, which wasn't true before as they were primarily a military power. Adrian did all of this by taking care of one aspect of the Duchy at a time cuz otherwise he will have a lot to handle at once. 

 

Anyway he succeeded, everyone in the Duchy from commoners to the highest officials were very happy with his work and praised him. His father ofc was proud of him. Whenever he went somewhere in his territory in his carriage people always waved at him and he waved back. His contributions even reached the royal palace.

 

He appointed people he trusted as his top officials as he was going to the academy in 4 years and someone had to handle the territory in his absence. Currently as per as his training in swordsmanship and magic is concerned in both he has already surpassed his teachers by a lot including the head of imperial mage so he mostly practices by himself now and has completed two thesis with the mage in magic. 

 

Alice was however getting dangerously close as time passes and sometimes sneaks into his bed and kisses him on his cheek as good morning, even though he tells her not to. Finally he decided to lock his room with magi every night. That solved it for the night but as a result of that she practically clings to him everyday for most of the time except when training. this was getting to be a problem, even when told this is inappropriate for siblings she still does it.

 

Adrian believing that it is inappropriate gets away from her as much as he can, but she won't relent. Adrian sometimes thinks whether he has to give up one day? He hopes not, he wants her to marry into a good family after all but he finds the future bleak in that regard.

 

With all this another 4 years passed and it's time for Adrian to enter the academy.

48