Chapter 10: By Milk and Cheese
198 9 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This work of fiction deals with the struggles and complexities of central LGBTQ+ characters with nonacceptance in family, community, and religion. There are non-sexual romantic themes and scenes with some of these characters. Some scenes portray fantasy violence and injury of fictional humanoid characters, pets, magical creatures, and monsters. This work is appropriate for teenage and adult audiences. Parents are strongly cautioned because some material may be inappropriate for children under thirteen due to violence and the abovementioned themes.

The churchgoers walked down the road away from the looted homes. They could see the roaring ocean in the distance looking as fearsome as ever in their eyes. They reached the main road within a few minutes, which intersected with their path. One path was the hillside stairs that led to the docks and ocean below. The other led to the market and church on the opposite side of Monsa. The group made their way towards the church, passing several people making their way to and from their homes. The followers passed by a man in a horse-drawn cart, paying him no mind. They were unconcerned about the people they saw on the main road. Instinctively, they were aware of the roadblock that everyone had to go through.

The kaplan's power linked their minds in a telepathic collective with him at the helm. People under the influence of Kaplan Rufa retained their identities and desires. Still, they felt an impending need to follow his orders. His ability was limited as not everyone on the island could be controlled simultaneously. Over the years, Rufa learned to brainwash people in smaller groups to achieve greater dominance. By holding church services on different days, the kaplan created the perception of pious flexibility while simultaneously asserting his will on others. This way, every household experienced his presence weekly, if not more often. During Rufa's training under the previous Monsan kaplan, he discovered the limits of his capabilities. The more minds the kaplan linked together, the less influence he had on any one person. Although, unlike his predecessor, Rufa found different ways of amplifying his power and extending the duration of its effects. By drawing from the hidden energies inside the church and focusing them into the rože, Kaplan Rufa could transfer his telepathic force. Soaking the flowers in water allowed him various opportunities to dose people without additional exertions. The only unforeseen consequence of this delivery method was that it changed people's eye color to varying tints of yellow. The kaplan merely depicted it as an outward sign of Vadim's acceptance to further spread the propaganda.

With more than half the town being controlled, Kaplan Rufa felt mentally taxed. He could sense that the search party had found something and was on their way back, but nothing else. With Edda and Marika captured below and the whole town on the lookout for Pétur, there was nothing to do but wait. He rested in the comfy chair in the candlelit room, attempting to recover his energy. Closing his eyes, he drifted off from exhaustion.

The group continued towards the church, feeling Rufa's hold lessen slightly. There was an audible grumble in the stomach of one of the kaplan's followers. It was a man in his thirties dressed in dark brown pants with an almost clean white shirt held together with a faded red cord. His ash blonde hair was unkempt, and his face was scruffy from a lack of consistent shaving. Again, the sound echoed, causing him to stop and grab his stomach. He called out to the others to go on ahead and ran back towards the man in the cart moving away from him. The man stumbled over a large stone in the road as he ran towards the cart. The Caeli knife he had looted from Edda fell to the ground without him noticing.

Regaining his balance, the man called out, "Bydlę. Bydlę, for the love of Vadim, stop your cart!"

Bydlę, upon hearing his name turned his head to see a familiar customer waving. He pulled the reins and stopped the cart before jumping out. "Durak!" he said, pointing to the knife on the ground.

Sheepishly he picked up the knife and ran over to Bydlę. "I am starving. Do you have some of that special cheese from the other day? The smelly one that tastes like savory cream?"

Bydlę smiled and popped open the barrel next to Pétur. He pulled out a small block of specially fermented cheese that caused the young men earlier to leave so hastily. "Is this the one you mean?"

"Oh, that's the one." Durak licked his lips and smiled, revealing his lack of dental hygiene. He pulled out a gold coin and handed it to Bydlę with no regard.

Bydlę inspected the coin and interrupted Durak before he could eat. "Do you have any copper or silver? I do not have my change purse on me."

Durak frowned. "I am sorry, Bydlę, I don't. You can owe me for next time I come around."

"No. That is not good business for either of us. How about instead I give you a mug of my finest to wash down the cheese and a few other things in exchange for the coin?" proposed Bydlę.

"I'd gladly agree to that!" Durak happily approved.

Bydlę opened the barrel containing the milk causing Durak to smile greedily. Wiping off an old ale tankard with a wet towel, he dipped it into the fresh milk filling it to the brim. "Give that a taste and tell me what you think."

Durak guzzled it all down while devouring the cheese. Extending the mug to Bydlę, he smiled as his stomach settled. "That was well worth the gold coin. You are an artist of cheese."

Bydlę nodded in respect, "Thank you, my friend." He refilled the cup and handed it back to Durak. "Take these as well." Bydlę gave him another portion of the moldy cheese and a few small samples wrapped in a single sheet of cheesecloth. "That should make us about even. Do you agree?"

"I do! Thank you so much, my friend." Durak smiled as if he was as rich as a king.

"Oh, Durak. If anyone should ask you where you obtained these, simply say your friend instead of my name. That way, you can keep being my number one customer." Bydlę smiled deviously.

"That is a great idea. Some of these people might buy up all your cheese just so mother and I can't have any. I think they are jealous because of how the kaplan favors me. He gives me special tasks and pays me and not the others. He says I have a special mind and require extra attention," proudly quoted Durak.

Bydlę listened and nodded intently. "You know, I can see why he said that to you. Do you see that road ahead of me?"

Durak nodded yes.

Bydlę continued, "I was wondering if you would deliver a message to the old woman who lives in the last house on that street. Like you, she is a very important customer, possibly my second best."

"She isn't home," Durak blurted out.

Confused, Bydlę persisted, "Where has she gone?"

"She is at the church with Kaplan Rufa and the others," Durak proudly stated.

Attempting to remain calm, Bydlę feigned a smiled. "Well, then that is convenient for my needs. Since you are returning to the church, please pass a message on to her for me."

"Of course. What is it," Durak eagerly agreed.

"Tell her that our friendship shines as bright as the moon." Bydlę watched Durak closely.

"What a funny thing to say. Why the moon and not the sun?" Durak mused.

Bydlę paused for a moment and then found his response. "That is easy, my friend. You are my number one customer, so you shine like the sun. She is second-best, so she is like the moon."

"I like that a lot! The sun is better than the moon, and I am better than your other customer." Durak was delighted. "I will make sure the woman hears your message. Good day to you, Bydlę."

"And to you, Durak," exhaled Bydlę.

With a skip in his step, a tankard filled with milk, and an arm full of cheese, Durak continued down the main road towards the church.

Bydlę closed the open barrels and resumed his seat in the cart. Within moments he was back on the move toward the stairs. Next to the entrance of the stairs was a creeping path for horses. The slope was gradual, winding back and forth until it reached the docks. Bydlę guided the reins in the direction of the trail as they began their slow descent. About fifteen minutes later, they arrived at the docs. A thin bare-chested man stood at the beginning of the dock staring at Bydlę as he made his approach. He wore a handwoven hat and draped a green folded fabric over his shoulder. The cloth had beautiful black designs visible from a distance. His shorts were made of a thin, airy material containing darker tones. He was distinctly not Monsan nor Aeqori in his appearance, as his visage was rich like the deep earth. He walked over to Bydlę as he stepped down from the cart.

"Sastipe Dulani!" Bydlę greeted the man with an extended arm.

"Don't give me that formal nonsense after you are late with your delivery," Dulani complained as he met Bydlę's arm, locking forearms with him.

Bydlę explained, "Beyond my control. I have had nothing but interruptions."

"Not my problem. You know how he gets, and I am the one who must listen to that prattle." Dulani walked over to the back of the cart, inspecting the wares.

"It is all there, I assure you," Bydlę soothed.

"I do not understand you Monsans. No sense of urgency. At least the Aeqori know how to look up and tell the time." Dulani pulled out a list and a piece of charcoal from his pocket. He used the charcoal to cross out things on the list he saw in the car. He seemed pleased as he made his way down further on the list.

"I have included an extra barrel for him to deliver. It's a special request from a friend." Bydlę whispered in hushed tones.

Dulani turned around and glared at Bydlę. "Do I look like a delivery service to you?"

Bydlę pulled out the gold coin and smiled clandestinely.

"You cannot buy me off so easily," Dulani retorted loudly.

Bydlę walked over and put his hand on Dulani's shoulder. "Kako, please. It's important, and he is expecting the package."

Dulani knocked Bydlę's arm off his shoulder. "Why are you calling me uncle? I am not that old, and even if I were, you would be a phuro dad withered old man." Dulani stared into Bydlę's eyes, met back by a cold repose.

Moments later, they both burst into laughter. Bydlę mused, "I don't think I have any grandchildren, but then again, who knows. It has been a long time since I was your age."

Dulani smirked, "Fine, fine. Help me load up the boat. And yes, the extra barrel, before you ask."

Bydlę and Dulani spent a few minutes unloading the cart and placing the goods on the boat. They worked together to move the barrels of milk and cheese onto the main deck. After which, Dulani and Bydlę carefully brought the barrels downstairs through a narrow stairway. Dulani slid them into position while Bydlę carried out the empty replacement barrels. Everything was relocated onto the ship within no time except for the third barrel containing Pétur and Wilk. Dulani and Bydlę went to lift the barrel up, only to come right back down. Gaining a better grip, they boosted the barrel upwards and got it into the boat after several breaks.

"How did you get this into your vardo in the first place?" Dulani asked.

Bydlę answered, "The cart? I had help. Wayde came by to pay me for the order. He volunteered when he saw me struggling. You didn't think I could lift this thing myself, did you?"

"You know there is something off about him. People are not that nice usually. All he does is sing and whistle like he hasn't got a care in the world. I don't trust overly happy people."

Bydlę interjected, "But I am overly happy …."

Dulani interrupted, "Exactly." This caused both men to laugh again.

"Come to think of it, where are Wayde and that inglorious captain of yours?" Bydlę inquired.

"He is looking for your friend, the phuri daj," Dulani explained.

"She is otherwise occupied with the kaplan and her daughter-in-law. It would be best if you left without her and leave the rest to me." Bydlę handed Dulani his money pouch after placing the gold coin in it.

"As you wish. Just be careful. I do not trust your holy man either. He worships a strange god." Dulani shivered for a moment, thinking about Vadim.

Bydlę nodded and took his friend's arm in the same manner as before. "Journey well, my friend. Make sure that delivery makes it to its destination for both our sakes."

"Do not worry. We will meet again soon. Journey well." Dulani smiled and released Bydlę's forearm.

***

Inside the main hall, the churchgoers informed Kaplan Rufa of what they had found. He examined the silver diadem and strange book with the whale image closely. Moments later, Durak came wandering in with his now empty cup of milk and foul-smelling parcel of cheeses. Everyone seemed to ignore him despite the scent of fermentation in the air. He noticed Edda and Marika sitting in the front row silently. Walking over, he stumbled, causing the Caeli knife to drop again to the floor. Unaware of this, Durak sat down next to Edda.

Durak murmured, "I have been to see the dairy merchant, and I want you to know that I am his number one customer, not you. You are his second."

Edda was confused. "Whatever you say, dear."

Marika leaned over to Edda and whispered, "What is this fool going on about?"

Edda quietly commented, "I have no idea, but I mean to find out."

Durak leaned next to Edda and asked, "Why are we whispering? It doesn't matter. I have a message from him. He said that your friendship shines as bright as the moon. I shine like the sun, so you had to be the moon."

Edda grinned wickedly. "Yes, you are right. How like the sun you are. Thank you for delivering the message from our friend."

Kaplan Rufa looked up to see the three of them talking. "Durak! Why are you sitting there, and what is that smell?"

Durak jumped up and ran over to the kaplan. He opened the cheesecloth to reveal his assortment of cheeses, including the highly moldy one causing the odor.

Rufa covered his nose, stepping away from Durak. "Put that disgusting thing in the trash."

Durak wrapped up the cheeses again. "I bought these, so I'd rather not."

Kaplan Rufa radiated frustration. He looked at Edda, who was whispering to Marika. "Stop talking! Durak, what were you telling Edda?"

Durak paused, pondering if he should answer before finally conceding. "I told her I was his number one customer, and she was his number two."

Rufa's patience was dwindling. "Whose customers?"

Durak smiled, "My friend. He gave me these and fresh milk. He asked me to deliver a message to the old woman."

Rufa's anger melted away as a twisted smile emerged on his face. "What was the message?"

Durak proudly said, "That I shine like the sun."

"Anything else," Rufa coaxed.

Durak recounted, "Yes! Our friendship shines as bright as the moon, well, his friendship with her. His friendship with me is like the sun."

The kaplan looked at the book again and then back at Edda amid the silence. "Well, dear Marika, it seems you will get your wish. At sunset tonight, your mother-in-law will die!"

Marika's dread overcame her, and she wrapped her arms around Edda. "No, please don't. She could not have done whatever you think she has done. She is just an old woman."

Edda hugged her back and calmly said, "If it saves you and Pétur, then I will gladly offer my life in exchange."

Marika's tears began flowing like small rivers from her eyes. The yellow glow that was once there slowly changed back to blue as it had been in her youth. Marika was overwhelmed with regret for the many years of anger she harbored toward Edda. With all her strength, she cried out, "I'm sorry."

13