11- Denethor
233 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the frame of a plan in my mind, I returned to the bed on the other side of the room and sat down again as I considered things more deeply.

Just running to Lambert and captain Dunn and shouting about the invasion wasn't much of a plan, especially with captain Dunn, I might be able to get Lambert to believe me without much questioning, but I doubted that captain Dunn would be like that, he was a man who went through a lot, a man who might be able to notice that something was off about me if I tried to lie to him.

As I was still brainstorming over that, the conversation on the other side had already moved away from the kalla inside Border Town and the people they had on their side there. At that moment, Kildor was going through a few points about the invasion, the expected arrival time and the advancement of the other armies and if they were met with any problems.

I hoped that maybe some of the other armies might get noticed, as moving such a huge military power unseen wasn't something that can be done by anyone, but unfortunately, nothing like that happened, it seemed that the demons were well prepared.

I unconsciously wondered how they were able to keep this a secret from the spies among them, then I remembered that not even the soldiers in this army knew where they were really going at first, and how that for sure wasn't the only precaution they had.

When Kildor mentioned that our army was a bit off from where we were supposed to be, I felt him throw a glance my way, but I just met his eyes without care, trying to hide the little bit of joy I had at the news, it wasn't much but anything would help at that point.

That hint of joy was short-lived though, because soon Kildor turned to the eriny, who I realised at that point was called Aduna, and asked:

"How about us? Were the scouts met with any hiccups?" 

"Not really," Answered Aduna, "we met some normal humans that were dealt with easily without leaving any traces, so we are good." 

As I looked at the eriny coldly, I held my breath for a bit before releasing it slowly, I knew that something like that was to be expected, those humans that were killed to keep this invasion a secret till the right time were only the first step, this war was going to be a meat grinder, many souls would be lost by its end.

Not feeling in the mood to sit there and listen anymore, I suddenly stood up without any care to the demons there and said as I left the tent:

"I'm getting tired, I'll be taking my leave now. Gorduf, have my dinner be sent to me in my tent."

I didn't even wait for him to answer as I walked out. 

Slowly making my way to my destination, I looked at the soldiers who were sitting around their small tents, talking among each other in whispers as they got ready to rest for the night

Something soon caught my attention, the whole camp was submerged in darkness, none of the soldiers lit any fires and any lights were far and in between, with it being a moonless night, you wouldn't be able to know that an army was resting there.

I wondered for a bit about why things weren't like this the night before, but I guess back then the army was still deep in the demons' territory for them to worry or care about being seen or noticed by their enemies.

it didn't take me long to reach my tent, as all the leading personnel in the army had tents close to each other. I then sat on my own and waited for my dinner, I wasn't really in the mood to eat, but I knew that I had to.

Fortunately, Gorduf didn't take long to get me something to eat, and unlike what I thought, after taking the first few bites I found myself enjoying it and I soon cleaned my plates.

"This is all for today, just leave me be for now," I told Gorduf when he entered after the maid who took my plates.

Finally alone after Gorduf left, I changed into my sleeping clothes before heading to the big bed as I shook my head at such extravagance, then I entered my bed and closed my eyes, starting the first part of my plan for the night.

While I was dealing with Zagmuz and things on his side, as Dorian, I was working hard on coming up with a plan for meeting Lambert and captain Dunn, and the first thing that I came up with, and the thing that became more and more apparent as time passed, was that Zagmuz for sure wasn't the other body that I wanted to have helping me in this.

It became clear the more time I spent in this state that there was a certain emotional bleed between my bodies, and with my third body, Denethor meditating, that bleed was mainly between Zagmuz and Dorian. And with how Zagmuz reacted to most things, I didn't want to be affected by him that much when dealing with captain Dunn.

Because of all that and more, I wanted to try something that I didn't even know if it was going to work, I wanted to have Zagmuz's body go to sleep and wake up Denethor's.

I knew that the only reason I was able to control both bodies at the same time, as I was doing, was because Denethor was meditating and calming my mind, and that maybe, by waking up that body from its meditation, I might return to how I was when I first work up in this world, in pain and barely moving.

But even though I knew that that was a true possibility, I had a feeling that the more time passed, the better I was getting at controlling my bodies, as if my soul; or whatever part of me was here, got more familiar with the situation I was in.

I felt that I still wasn't ready to control all my three bodies simultaneously, but pushing myself to control two bodies without the third meditating should be manageable.

With all that going through my mind, I laid in the extravagant bed and tried to fall asleep as Zagmuz. I found it extremely weird and uncomfortable to try and sleep with one body while two of my others were still awake, at some point, I thought that something like that must be impossible even. But then those couple of days of travelling caught up to Zagmuz's body, and I followed in fascination as I watched the body's breathing slow down and start taking in a steady rhythm, and soon it fell asleep.

As I was waiting for Zagmuz's body to fall asleep, and as it started claiming it, I found it a bit hard at first to keep myself awake in Dorian's, I felt that if I wasn't careful enough, I would follow in the first body's footsteps and fall asleep.

If you asked me how it felt to have one of my bodies sleeping as two others were awake, I wouldn't know how to explain it to you, it was something so out of my small pool of experience, the closest thing I could think of is that when I concentrated on Zagmuz's body and tried to gently feel out how he was at that moment, I would get the same feeling I got when I was half asleep in a noisy environment, with my mind still partly conscious about what was happening around me in a sense, yet not awake enough to recognize it entirely, which would lead to you being stuck in the weird state of being half-asleep and half-awake, conscious yet not.

Discarding these messy thoughts out of my mind, I took a deep breath as I prepared myself for what was coming next. Stopping the meditation and waking up as Denethor.

For the second time in what felt like forever, but was actually less than a day, I brought my full attention upon Denethor's body, taking full control over the process of meditation that was happening almost automatically ever since it started, with it only needing a bit of guidance from a small part of my mind, then steadying my heart, I stopped it.

I could feel it when it happened, like an ever-present cloak covering my feelings and senses being removed, and them returning to me gradually as the sedative was wearing off.

I kept on waiting for something to go wrong, for the mind splitting headache I had that morning to return again, but that never happened, and my clenched fist opened up as I tried to calm my beating heart.

Still, even though I didn't feel any pain, I did feel a bit uncomfortable, as if controlling my two bodies like this was still a bit out of my league. It was enough for now, and that's all I needed.

With the newfound courage I got from that, I opened my eyes as Denethor, and greeting me as I did so was a simple wooden ceiling.

Then I looked around me, taking in the room I was in, it was not that big, nor was it that small, around 5x5 meters, it had a wooden desk at the wall to the right of the bed I was in, a closet at the foot of my bed and a window a bit away from the desk. All in all, it was a small neat room.

My eyes then moved to the window, or more importantly, the sunlight that was shining lazily at my face, it was the energizing light of dawn.

I never gave it much thought, but it seemed that my third body was on the other side of the world.

Throwing that fleeting thought out of my mind, I stood up slowly and stretched as I looked around, everything was as I, or more like Denethor, had left it the night before, which calmed me down a bit as it meant that no one has been in my room since that evening.

Looking at the scenery outside and taking in the clean air, I couldn't help but smile, a smile that I'm sure came out soft and gentle.

"Let's do this," I whispered.

10