Cheep!? 105
208 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheep!?

Chapter 105

At the tolling of the bells, the many awaiting people of Greenleaf rose and heeded the call. Some of said people helped others to move around with injuries not critical enough for them to simply rest in place, but too hindering to make any decent time. Niko turned his head around, surveying the world as they went. The skies were painted a dismal grey by bleak clouds that seemed to hang, unmoving, over the city. Only the barest amount of light petered down through them, illuminating everything in the same shade as the sky. It was a small consolation that the ashen dirt beneath them felt incredibly comfortable against Niko’s sore feet. As much as he had liked the city before, he had never been a fan of the hard, cobblestone walkways. 

If that was going to be a thing in all cities from therein, he figured he was going to be toughening up his already calloused, scaled feet. ‘Especially if I’m going to be towing a cart around occasionally.’ Niko mused to himself, once more revolving around the idea. He didn’t exactly want to be a pack mule, but he also knew that it would be a pretty hearty advantage for the team if he was willing to do so. ‘Perhaps something smaller so people aren’t trying to ride it all the time?’ 

Niko entertained himself with thoughts of what he could put into such a thing when he realized that the closer to the interim forum, the more excited–or agitated–people seemed to be. 

“Did something happen?” Niko blinked in confusion, before looking over to Skye, “Do you notice anything?” 

The half-elf frowned and looked around, seemingly noting the state of the people around them belatedly. “Not sure… let me hop up and look?” 

After a brief moment of thought, Niko simply leaned down, letting Skye grab onto his neck. With a firm hop and swing of her legs, Skye clambered up his side securely enough that he could stand to his full height once more.

Together, they surveyed the area, before Skye hummed aloud, “I think there’s a messenger. Looks like he’s an official from the Kingdom.”

“Good,” Ronald sighed, “Then the army shouldn’t be too far behind them.”

“With supplies, too,” Stella said, “Because we probably don’t have enough for more than a few days at the most for all these people. Not with the warehouses burned down.”

Mithel shook her head and spoke with a trace of regret in her voice, “Maybe next time there’ll be more underground storage. We always keep a few hideaways just in case of something big happening.”

“With any luck, there won’t be a next time,” Dachna muttered, “Just one Massacre Hornet swarm is enough, thank you very much.”

“Agreed,” Sasha rumbled, “I’ll take skirmishes from other mountains any day after all of this.” 

The group pushed their way through the throng, in part due to Niko and Sasha’s bulk, but also, Niko noticed, because people were recognizing them. That was interesting to him, as Niko didn’t feel like they’d done that much.

‘Hmm… actually, we did do a lot, didn’t we?’ Niko mulled the realization over, noting that they’d been effectively on every battlefront and operation the Guild had put together during the crisis. Niko searched the slightly elevated podium, noting that Orson and Crowe were present, but the others were not. If Niko had to guess from their considerably low essence reserves–that he could see, anyways–the others had to be resting and trying to recuperate what they could in the meantime.

Still, judging by the tight expressions on their faces, and the downright miserable one on the messenger's face, Niko guessed that they had anything but good news.

Niko observed them, just as Orson moved to stand at the head of the podium that rose about two meters from the ground. Instead of launching straight into speaking, Orson only surveyed the crowd with a complicated expression on his face. Most people probably didn’t know Orson well enough to note the tightness to his expression, and while Niko couldn’t claim to really know the man, he had seen him enough to catch the weariness in his gaze.

“News comes from Kingdom proper,” Orson began, skipping the pleasantries, “Due to complications, the relief corps, military, and related organizations are delayed, some indefinitely.” 

At that, the crowd began to clamor, and Orson stopped speaking, allowing the people to express their dismay and concern. Niko couldn’t blame them, he himself exchanged a worried glance with Skye.

“The food situation alone…” Murmured Niko as he glanced at the people all around them, “What’s gone on that this isn’t a priority?” 

“I don’t know,” Skye’s grip on the feathers of his back tightened, “This isn’t good, not at all.”

“Understatement of all understatements.” Dachna whispered, now drawing Mithel closer to Niko and Sasha, whilst not so subtly gesturing to Ronald and Stella, “At least it’s Greenleaf and not the capital, but still…”

Mithel forced a chuckle, “Don’t you think you’re being a little paranoid?”

The rogue gave her an almost regretful look, “Maybe. Hopefully. Just… Look, we can talk later about this, yeah?” The man gestured with his chin up towards Orson, “Maybe the Guildmaster has a plan?”

Ronald and Stella both had stoney expressions as they turned forward, and Niko was glad at least that those around him weren’t naively expecting this to be an easy fix. ‘That said… How the peck are we handling this?’ 

“The relief teams are being forced to come in through the west by way of the Dellmire Bog. While it looks like their passage is unharried currently, we’re looking at waiting at least another two weeks before anyone can come to our aid.” At that statement, Orson held up a hand to forestall the increasing anxiety of the crowd, “We have alternatives underway now that will help in the meantime. In the current state of things, I have been officially recognized as the seat of power in this region, and to that effect I am requesting that any individuals capable lend their aid in procuring resources necessary for themselves and their neighbors.”

“To be perfectly clear, we are all in this together. Anyone found engaging in the unlawful theft, assault, or other unsavory activities will be dealt with to the maximum ability I am allowed by wartime edict.” Orson held iron in his tone as he looked at the crowd, the barest amount of aura flowing from him. Niko felt much as he had before–the electric touch of the air, and the slight odor of ozone in his nostrils familiar to him from having experienced the Guildmaster’s aura previously–but the effect was far more pronounced on the regular civilians. Much of the outrage was replaced by a quiet sort of intensity, a wariness and anxiety towards the man that to this point had led them with integrity and confidence.

In a flash, the aura vanished, and a much more at ease expression appeared on Orson’s face, “With that official statement out of the way, I will now speak plainly. We are all in this together, just as we already have been. Nothing has changed for us save now, more than ever, we must ensure that we come together and work as one. I believe that I won’t need to issue an order to call those able to aid their fellows. I believe that everyone can see clearly that this situation will take time to work through. Together, we will get through this. Within the hour we will have a board posting for all jobs and materials necessary immediately, and from there we’ll work on what we need. I implore you to seek out one of the team leaders that I will be designating for assignment. I will be coming around in the following hours to ensure that there aren’t any issues cropping up, so until then, remain calm. Thank you.”

At that, Orson gave a mild bow, and the crowd that had been so uneasy with his previous statements now seemed perfectly receptive. And while there wasn’t an abundant amount of cheering or clapping, the overall mood seemed to be much more positive. 

“Well, that definitely could have gone worse,” Dachna whispered only loudly enough that Niko and the others could hear him if they strained, “Now what? Wait for the board posting or go talk to Orson about going with Sasha to her mountain?”

“That’s a good question…” Ronald murmured, “I think we can help more by going with Sasha, though.”

“Really?” Mithel blinked, “I’d half expected you to be on board with staying here and helping everyone.”

Ronald, perplexed, asked, “Well, I would if we weren’t in a position to do more. Why does it sound like you find that amusing, though?”

“No reason, I’m sure,” Skye drolled, “But, either way, I think our answer is walking in this direction.”

At that the Wyldwalkers all turned to the direction that gestured. Niko recognized the essence in their body immediately, albeit the big woman was hard to miss. Fresh bandages covered much of the exposed parts of her body, and her armor hung loose with the straps let out slightly for the bandages beneath. She grinned widely at them, and Niko saw her she sported a new, long cut over her forehead and through some of her hair. 

“Hey, guys, miss me?” Camille said nonchalantly, but Niko could tell she was leaning a little more on one leg than the other.

“Camille,” Ronald smiled, “Good to see you. You look like hell, though.”

“Hah, your Pops said the same thing!” She snickered, “You see him yet? He’s been running himself around in circles trying to keep everyone in order.”

Ronald shook his head, “He hasn’t popped in, but that’s normal. We’ll catch up later, though.”

Camille nodded, eyes flicking to Stella for a split second as she scanned the group over. Niko felt a slight tinge of essence as she did so, but it was so quick that if he couldn’t literally see it, he might have missed it. As it was, he felt like he only saw it because she wasn’t all too worried about it being detected. She nodded fractionally, “Glad to see you’re all… mostly fine. All considered, anyways. While I’d normally love to make a social call, I’m here on official business this time. Would you all mind coming with me to meet with Orson?”

Niko and the others exchanged glances, “Can Sasha and Stella come with?” 

Camille shrugged, “I don’t see why not.”

Stella blinked in surprise at that, but Niko didn’t see her balk at the idea either.

“We’ll follow you, then.” Ronald gestured ahead, after seeing no one express a dissenting opinion.

They followed after the big woman, her essence control subtly allowing her to part the crowd in ways that he doubted most of them even noticed. Niko still wasn’t entirely sure what her patterns were. Looking into her body with his Aether Sight only gave him an incredibly complex three dimensional image that looked like it was actively flexing and rearranging itself regularly. Idly, Niko wondered if the Massacre Hornet Queen would have had a chance against even just Camille if she’d been fully powered up. 

Because if nothing else, Niko could see her entire essence frame seem to strain against the ambient essence, as though it were a bubble trying to expand constantly. So far, it seemed like essence obeyed some logic, such as moving from a high pressure area to a lower pressure area. Yet, everytime a touch of essence fled her body, it instead seemed to greedily swallow up whatever essence particles it touched before sweeping back into her. 

Niko finally couldn’t hold it any longer,“Camille, are you doing that thing with your essence, or is that normal?”

Camille blinked in confusion for a moment, before realization hit her, “Ah, right, I forgot that you can see essence. Yeah, that’s me. I’m forcibly straining my essence like this–” she squeezed her patterns in tightly, before letting it out like an expanding balloon “–and then expelling a bit with my intent imbued into it. I then control that essence and have it… err… eat up the ambient stuff.” Her tone became less certain at the end, as she shrugged, “Then I pull it back in. Allows me to actually recharge, even here, a good bit faster than the others, too.”
“How did you learn to do all of that?” Asked Skye with a slight frown, “Isn’t that a fairly niche use? Most high tier people stay away from low tier areas like they’re plague-ridden.”

“Well, keep in mind that if you ever hit tier five, most of all humanoid territories are what you could call low tier,” Camille gave a teasing wink, “So it’s almost required for our sorts. You’ll all learn how to do it in time.”

“Sounds like you’re pretty sure that we’ll make it to the high tiers,” Dachna smugly said.

Camille nodded seriously, “Considering what you all have done already? Yeah, I’d say you’re pretty well on your way. Besides, I can be biased with my favorite students.”
“Aren’t we, like, you’re only students?” Mithel pointed out in jest.

“Who can say?” The big woman said, before they stopped in front of a larger tent, something that Niko could, when viewed from the right angle, tentatively call a command tent. “Come on in.”

Camille strode past a pair of guards who waited outside of the canvas, who seemed almost reverent of the woman. The Wyldwalkers, to Niko’s surprise, were greeted respectfully, as the guards pulled the flaps of the tent open for them. 

Niko had to crouch to get through the opening, but after passing the threshold was able to stand up straight. The interior was lit with a few lanterns, bringing a little more light to the dim confines. What looked to be a slab of unworked wood served as a table of sorts for Orson, who now appeared to be much more fatigued than he’d appeared outside in front of the crowd. He was looking over documents, brows furrowed in concern, with Crowe and Oum at either side of him. 

Crowe looked up before smiling, and then cleared his throat meaningfully at Orson. 

And when the man remained fixated on a spreadsheet of numbers, Camille barked, “Orson!”

The man jolted slightly, stirring from his thoughts with barely a fluctuation in his aura. Still, his confusion alleviated immediately upon seeing Camille and the Wyldwalkers. His expression didn’t belie his fatigue, but the man did have a genuine smile on his face as he regarded them, “Ah, apologies, I was preoccupied. I would offer you all a seat, but… well, we’re lacking in that as it is.”

Niko looked at the cut chunks of wood that resembled chairs, “Yeah, well, needs must, and all that. Right?” 

“Mmm, just so,” Orson nodded, “And Sasha, it is good to see you. I’m afraid I’ll have to impose upon you what you previously promised.”

The sabercat blinked and nodded slowly, “What did you have in mind? I’ll deliver the message to my people personally, and if it’s possible, I’ll see it done.”

Orson nodded, perhaps more vigorously than Niko had seen of him in the short time he’d met the man, “A reasonable position. To put it simply, I hadn’t much thought of what we could want from your people–” Orson paused and cleared his throat a beat later, “–Of course, not to say I do not believe there is value in what could be provided, more that it has been a very long time since anyone has even stepped foot into the beast clans lands.”

“I took no offense, Guildmaster,” Sasha spoke in a gracious tone, “Please, let be known your request, or requests, as it might be.”

Orson tapped the table in front of him with all of the paperwork present, much of which was scrawled on what appeared to be the backs of other documents, “As I’d stated on the forum, we are not expecting aid soon. What I hadn’t stated was how close our margins are. We have, at most, a day of supplies left. It’s become clear that even with rationing, we won’t have enough to go around. Oum, how long do you think we can last with supplementary hunting and gathering to bolster food supplies?”

“Two days,” Oum answered, “The Massacre Hornets cleared out much of the area here, and the only real options for hunting would be to go south and west. South runs into the Daurghast before long, and the west into the boglands and the river. We could maybe push that number if we were willing to send people into those areas, but that’s a lot of traversal, and we couldn’t risk sending anyone below tier two. But it could be done.”

“And we’d lose half of them to Dellmire Bog, and the other half to the Daurghast,” Crowe clicked his tongue, “Neither of those places are recommended to those unprepared and unknowledgeable of the dangers. We could potentially shore up some of the knowledge gaps, but preparation?” The professional countenance the man almost always wore cracked with a strain of annoyance, “That is in short supply, indeed.”

“And there you have it,” Orson put on a forced smile, “We can’t feed our people for much longer. Even if myself and these three were at full strength, feeding an entire city is beyond our expertise. That isn’t even to say anything about the other environmental issues, nor any monsters that might be drawn to the destruction here. So, the first request I have of the Beast Clans is simple: material aid for the people of Greenleaf.”

Sasha regarded the man contemplatively, but gave a short chuff before saying, “I see no real issue with this, provided some points are put to clarity. Do you have any specifics in mind?” 

“That is part of my second request,” Orson gestured to Crowe, Camille, and then to the Wyldwalkers as a whole, “I would like Crowe and Camille to go in my stead to negotiate any specifics. They’ll be just as knowledgeable as I would, and I would request the Wyldwalkers to escort them, considering they’re still recuperating and they have dealings with you separately.”

Niko shifted on his feet, gauging Sasha’s response to what Orson was saying. Unsurprisingly, she merely nodded, “That’s acceptable. I doubt anyone will have anything to say about that so long no one causes any major trouble.” 

“Excellent… Now as for the second request…” Orson began, “I put forward that the Beastways be opened once more for travel and for trade.”

At this, Sasha finally paused, before rumbling uncertainly, “That… is a much more divisive issue. I cannot promise that can happen with the Kingdom.” 

Orson’s eyes once more gleamed with a mischievous glint, “Of course, of course, but… what if I said it wasn’t for the Kingdom as a whole?”

 

16