Chapter 79 – Vers Part 2
161 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Can I help you?"

Cloud raised his hand to look at the man wearing a sleeveless denim jacket who asked the question, and she asked him, "Where was this photograph taken?"

"Airport."

"Where's Pegasus?"

"That's classified! Unlike the file I started on you," The Agent said, turning his eyes towards Cloud and then Harry, "And there is another one with you."

"They are not with me," Vers turned around, looking at him.

"Oh, I know. One of the Three Owners of Avalanche Inc., one of the budding Private Security Companies and the ones in demand too. They are even popular among the citizens since some of them do double as Private Detectives," The Agent narrowed his eyes, "What I don't get is…why are you tailing her?"

Cloud walked over to the bar, looking at all the drinks they had on the shelf, "I don't get why you had to make such a dramatic entrance when you could have walked in and had this place cleared before we even came. But then…we don't get all the answers to our question, do we?"

"I do," The Agent smiled, leaning forward, "Why are you trailing her? Are you protecting her? If so, why?"

"That's privileged. Get a warrant."

Vers scoffed, looked towards the Agent, and let out a knowing smile, "Had a good day, Agent Fury?"

Fury fixed his eyes on Cloud before he smiled, "It was cool, you know. I had a space invasion, then nearly got shot on the stairs, a fist fight. Even got to watch an alien autopsy."

"You saw one."

"I was never one to believe in aliens, but I can't unsee that," Fury stopped, "Ok. I have to ask. Is that boy allowed to be here?"

Cloud pulled a bottle of bourbon and glass as he looked toward Harry, who couldn't believe his ears. The only reason he didn't speak to interrupt was that he couldn't. It was as if somebody had taped his mouth together.

"Yeah. He knows."

'I don't!' Harry shouted, but his voice didn't come out.

"Now, I was suspicious, but you know too," Fury ran his eyes over Cloud, narrowing his eyes, "How long?"

"Are you going to interrogate her or me?"

"If anyone's going to interrogate, then it's me," Vers narrowed her eyes.

Fury raised his eyebrows in interest, "You think we are one of those green things."

"Can't be too careful."

"You are looking at 100% red-blood Earthman," Fury scoffed and came to a pause, "Though. I don't know who is this boy?"

"Family," Cloud said, looking at the bourbon, and then he pushed it away.

"I am afraid I am going to need proof."

"We talking cheek swabs or urine samples?" Fury furrowed his brows. Even he wanted to know how to distinguish these guys.

"No. The DNA would match."

"Want my AOL password?"

"Skrulls can share only absorb only recent memories of their host bodies."

"Oh ho, you want to get personal," Fury said with a keen look as he turned to look at Cloud.

"Have a seat," He said, and Cloud turned around to look at them as they sat down. Harry was lost to the point that he had no idea what he should do, so he stood there frozen.

Vers asked her first question, "Where were you born?"

"Huntsville, Alabama."

"Classified."

"I don't know…I have lived my whole life in 4 Privet Drive, Surrey."

Vers and Fury turned their eyes to Cloud as Fury said, "You do know that you have to tell us where you were born."

"It's Classified, in a sense. Even if I told you, you wouldn't know of the place," Cloud looked away in annoyance, "It was a village created to hide the Super Soldier Experiments they were doing. Some Private Company was in charge."

"Super Soldier," Fury's ears stood up, "What happened?"

"They were successful."

"And?"

"The guy learned that he wasn't born but created and went mad and destroyed everything, killing almost everyone in the village."

"Ok, and where is this guy," Fury narrowed his eyes.

"I killed him," Cloud raised his hand, "Stabbed him in the back with my friend's sword and dropped him from heights he couldn't have survived."

"So…you are a Super Soldier?" Fury observed him with curiosity and caution.

"Failed product," Cloud raised his eyebrows, "Move on."

"Ok," Vers raised her eyebrows, "Name your First Pet."

"Mr Snoofers."

"Hedwig the Owl."

"Didn't have one."

"Mr Snoofers?"

"That's what I said," Fury turned his attention to Harry, "An owl?"

"White owl."

"Oh," He looked over to Cloud, "You said it was a village? You had no pet in the village?"

"My neighbour had one. The village chief called it Mal, which she didn't like. But it used to run away, and since we weren't allowed to outside the village boundary, I sneaked out and brought it back when it did. Sometimes I kept it for days. Is that enough?"

"Huh, rule breaker," Fury looked forward, "Do I pass?"

"Not yet. First Job?"

"Soldier. Straight out of High School. Left the ranks a full bird colonel."

"Then?"

"Spy."

"Where?"

"It was the cold war. We were everywhere."

"Now."

"Been riding the desk for six years. I wondered where our future enemies would be coming from. Never occurred they'd be coming from above."

"You?"

"Student."

"And you?"

"I have given you enough," Cloud ignored her.

"Fine, the last one," She narrowed her eyes, hiding the smile in her, "Name a detail so bizarre that a Skrull could never fabricate it."

Fury thought about it, "If toast is cut diagonally. I can't eat it."

He only finished saying that when a look of realisation appeared on his face. He turned, asking the other two.

Harry thought for a moment and raised his hair to show the scar, "I got this scar when a Dark Wizard tried to kill me, and my mother reflected the magic…by sacrificing her life."

"Uhh…" Fury was stunned, and even Vers looked at Harry in pity, wondering if the boy was sick.

"You?"

Cloud narrowed his eyes, "I told you. I have told you enough."

Vers let out a breath, "Well, never met a Skrull with that attitude. You pass."

"Okay. Your turn," Fury turned to look at Vers, "How do I know you are not one of them?"

Vers raised her hand, her fist pointed towards the Jukebox, and a blue blast came out of it, which blasted the jukebox.

Fury watched her in confusion. "And how is that supposed to prove that you are not a Skrull?"

"That's a photon blast."

Fury raised his eyebrows further.

"Skrulls can't do that."

She raised her shoulder, smiling, "So full bird colonel turned spy turned Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistic Division agent must have pretty high clearance. Where's Pegasus?"

"Huh, you remembered that."

"It's coming."

"Excuse me?" Fury, who had planned to tell her, looked at Cloud.

"I asked someone to bring the copies of the files. They aren't far."

A gust of wind blew, and the gate to the bar opened, causing them to look at the files on the gate, "There they are."

"You had this prepared? How did you even get those files?"

"The sooner she gets what she wants, the better for all of us," Cloud gestured to Harry, who hastily ran and picked up the files.

He put the files on the table, and Vers moved to take them when Fury put his hand on them, "Ok. I can't stop you from seeing them, and you can see them. Just tell me one thing. Who are you exactly?"

Vers took a deep breath, looking at the files, but she still bothered to take five minutes and tell him who she was, and both Fury and Harry tried to wrap their minds around it.

"So, the Skrulls copy alien races to infiltrate and take over planets. And you are Kree. A race of noble warriors?"

"Heroes. Noble warrior heroes."

Cloud scoffed, and she shot a look at him but didn't say anything.

Fury looked at him, wondering if he knew something but continued, "What do Skrulls want with Dr Lawson?"

"They believe she developed a light-speed engine at Pegasus."

"Light-speed engine? Have to say. That's not the craziest thing I have heard today."

"Yeah," Harry muttered, nodding in agreement.

"And you? What do you want?"

"To stop the Skrulls before they become unstoppable."

"And?"

She looked back at him, moving her hands towards the files, but he placed his other hand on them, "Look. War is a universal language. I know a rogue soldier when I see one. You got a personal stake in this."

She didn't answer and pulled the files from under his hand, "Ok. Now let me see."

She opened the files, and the first thing she found was plans for a light-speed engine, only the surface blueprints, "Huh. Lawson's plans for light speed engine. I wonder why they terminated the project."

Fury picked up the other files since he wanted to know too, "Uh…maybe because she was cookoo."

He showed it to her, picking up other files to look through when unexpectedly she recognised them.

"Kree Glyphs? Lawson wasn't insane. She was a Kree."

"Well, she's dead," Fury narrowed his eyes, "She crashed the Asis Aircraft doing an unauthorised test flight. Took a pilot down with her."

He couldn't help by wonder, "How did you even get these? Is your Private Company in Illegal Business?"

"The Client gave it to us."

"Client? And who is your client?"

"Dead."

"Huh."

"But, if we are supposed to report to someone about the Mission, then it's Maria Rambeau."

"Maria Rambeau," Fury narrowed his eyes, showing Vers a redacted file with her photo. The file had a testimony of Maria, which left Vers in a daze as she checked the file.

Harry walked over to Cloud, asking under his breath, "Aliens? Are there aliens?"

Cloud slowly blinked, nodding, "Yeah."

8