Chapter 102 – Longing?
117 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Miss Lockhart, you have been lost in thought for the past few days. It's not like you."

"Yes, Professor," Tifa slumped her head apologetically, looking at her feet.

McGonagall sat on her chair, sighing as she looked at the girl, "Tifa. You are brilliant. Be it your grades or your talent for magic. Even more so, your talent for Quidditch is nothing to scoff at, and you are one of the richest students in Hogwarts, having bought Daily Prophet itself."

Tifa blankly nodded, listening to her but not hearing her, and McGonagall furrowed her brows, "But that is why it pains me to see you holding everything inside you. It's not good for your health, child."

Tifa tucked her hair behind her ear, pressing her lips as she turned her gaze to meet with her teachers. She sat in front of her, silently sitting there without saying anything, and McGonagall waited for her to collect her thoughts.

"Cloud…he made more than a few friends here. I mean, ever since we were kids, he used to pick fights. Something about his manners rubbed the other boys the wrong way, and he wasn't one to be bullied, so he always fought back," Tifa stared at the table, at the open book, reading the line upside down.

McGonagall didn't remember any attempts or rumours of anyone trying to bully him, so she assumed the girl must be talking about days before Hogwarts.

"Which was why I was so happy that he made friends here. And while he might not have been polite to others, he always helped them if they were in trouble. In his rude way that made it hard for those people to even thank him," Tifa looked a bit exasperated, "But…over the years, he managed to become popular, and everyone loved him, and so after that incident…after Ministry started painting him as the villain…I thought everyone would react differently. Not like they aren't asking about him…it's just…."

"There's not enough ruckus?" McGonagall smiled, seeing the girl nod, "And why do you think that is?"

"Um…I…."

"You don't think it's because they have forgotten him in a few weeks, right? Not with the Ministry making sure there is something about him in the news daily?"

"I wondered that?"

McGonagall sighed laughingly as she stood up and turned to look out of her window, "You know, Tifa. There are a few things that made the Four Houses unite. No, now that I think about it, it hadn't happened since the creation of Hogwarts and first division when the Slytherin Founder left."

"Yet, after many years. I saw the four houses unite, even the Noble Families from the outside. There was a debate, and many thought Mr Strife was from a Noble Family. At some point, there were rumours that he might be an offspring of the Last Dark Lord. Gellert Grindelwald. That scared some, but the Slytherins, who knew he would have been sorted into their house if not for the fact that he wished to be with you, joined Gryffindor."

"Oh. I didn't know there was something like that," Tifa blinked in surprise.

"There was more, actually," McGonagall turned around, "Later years, with his performance in Quidditch, he won the hearts of the students from the other three houses. And teachers loved him for his talent and hardworking personality. Earnestness. I never hid that he had been my favourite for years."

"Yeah," Tifa chuckled, "He was a little proud of that, though he did his best to hide it."

"Well, he hid it well. I find it hard to believe that he picked fights since he somehow managed to make even Professor Severus Snape like him. I'd say there didn't go a week where Professor Snape didn't boast about him to teachers or other classes."

"That part I know," Tifa charmingly smiled, 'Somethings wrong with this world.'

"You see, here in Hogwarts, people, be it, students or teachers, didn't mind that Mr Strife was a bit rude. He got results, and he was loved, and the more you got to know him, the more people loved the kind boy under that brooding façade he put. You said there isn't an outcry. Well, there is a reason for that."

McGonagall walked over to the front of the table, leaning against it, "What do you think people know about what happened that night?"

She didn't wait for the answer and continued, "they know that Mr Strife and Mr Potter were teleported away. They have heard rumours of Mr Potter claiming that You-Know-Who is back. They heard from Dumbledore that it is true. They heard from the Ministry that it was not true and that Mr Strife tried to kill Harry and proclaimed himself as the new Dark Lord. But they haven't heard anything from the person that matters the most. From the girl loved by him and loves him, the one with the most weight and authority on the matter."

McGonagall leaned forward, "Everyone is waiting to hear from you, and your word will bring about the outcry you think should have happened. Which is why I am glad that you have wisely stayed quiet over this matter."

"I don't wish to," Tifa scratched her head, muttering, "Every time…every time I hear something. I want to burst out in anger and shout at them, but I hold back, knowing that doing just that would spoil all his effort."

McGonagall adjusted her glasses, leaning forward with curious eyes, "So he is planning something? Outside of restrictions from Ministry and gaze of You-Know-Who?"

Tifa covered her lips, and McGonagall cleared her throat, "Ok. I won't pry anymore. And if you miss your boyfriend, find someone to talk to about him. Don't make me call you to the office because you are sulking so much."

"I don't miss him," Tifa became flushed red, denying that wholeheartedly.

"Please, Miss Lockhart. Next time you feel lovesick, talk to someone. Now, be out of my office," McGonagall showed her the door, and Tifa hastily stood up, wanting to argue but too ashamed to argue. She bowed, turned to leave, and opened the door but stopped.

"Thank you, Professor."

McGonagall smiled, watching as she left, and leaned back on her chair, relaxing, with worry flashing in her eyes, "Children…they shouldn't be carrying such burdens."

On the other side of the door, Tifa stood there, taking deep breaths. She left to go to the dormitories, thinking back to what Professor McGonagall said, 'Make a statement….'

She clapped her cheeks, 'No. Now is not the time. Ministry, it's still not the time. Sorry, Cloud. Wait a little longer?'

Tifa made her way back to the Common Room, ready to go to her dorms, but was stopped when she saw Aerith, surrounded by Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"What did Professor McGonagall have to say? Did she say anything about Umbridge?"

Tifa blinked, walking around them, sitting on the sofa's arm that Aerith was sitting on, resting her hand on her shoulder, "Why would she say anything about Umbridge?"

"Because the Ministry changed the Law? Because she is inspecting teachers?! And she's…well…annoying," Ron said, eagerly hoping there was some good news.

"Well, Aerith is keeping her in check, isn't she? So that she doesn't cross any limits?" Tifa patted Aerith's head, who proudly grinned.

"Yeah, but it's also true that she won't let us study spells, and without that, there is no way we could fight against the Death Eaters. So…Ron and I were thinking…will you…teach us?"

"Aerith? Yeah. Sure, why not?"

"No," Hermione shook her head, "I was thinking…you, Harry, and Aerith…all three of you."

Tifa moved her head to the side, ever so slightly, "If we are doing that, then even you could teach?"

"Maybe, but I want to practice, learn more myself. You should have seen Harry, his magic was the strongest I have seen after Aerith's and Cloud's, and with the spells he learned. I am still away from that level, and I want to learn, to be that good too. So please, teach us."

"Me? Me?!" Harry stood up in shock, "How would I teach? Aerith and Tifa, I understand, but there is no way I can!"

"Oh please," Hermione gave him a sharp look, and she wanted to say that Cloud had high expectations of Harry teaching others what he had learned, but then she glanced towards Ron and decided not to say anything for a while.

Since she came back, Ron was either angry with her or ready to argue at any time, which she had no interest in. She had no idea what was going through his head, but it seemed he had a problem with Cloud, so she didn't mention him by name all so much. Luckily, she had a few friends like Ginny, who would hear her babble on about Cloud to her heart's content.

(To Be Continued)

4