CH 03 – Breakfast Time (Part 2)
2.2k 14 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Knock. Knock.

My eyes opened to what was both a familiar and unfamiliar bedroom. Gone were the emerald green walls and gold-framed paintings. The walls now had beige and white striped wallpaper with an intricate design. The paintings had carved wood frames. All of the furniture was of a warm oak with copper detailing. But it was still my bedroom.

"Young master Luca, it's time to get up,” Denise’s voice sounded from outside.

"Denise, please come back in a few moments!" I called out.

I had something more pressing to take care of.

"Very well," I heard her voice. "I'll be back soon."

I tossed the covers off me and sat up.

"System?" I whispered, not wanting the guard outside to overhear me talking to myself.

A blue screen appeared before me.

[ Hello Luca. I didn't say this in the last round but welcome to the game and Round 3. ]

I guess I'm on my third life, after all.

I felt relieved. It was such a shame to die a mere hour into my second chance at life. I didn't even get to enjoy my breakfast with my family.

"System, how many times can I die and restart my life?"

[ You can reset and play the game as many times as you wish. ]

I narrowed my eyes.

"There's always a limit to everything."

[ There isn't a limit. However, it will end once the game is beaten, and your world will resume as usual after that. ]

Slight nausea washed over me. I was certainly relieved to have yet another chance at life, but it felt unpleasant that my and others' lives were just a part of some sort of 'game' to be 'played' and 'beaten.'

I pointed around my bedroom.

"Why does everything look different from what I remember?"

This time I was confident. It wasn't my faulty memory. The scenery really did change.

[ To keep the game interesting, the world setting changes slightly with each reset. This is one of those settings. ]

Setting changing? What does that even mean?

I frowned.

"So this is like my world but a little different?"

[ It's always your world. It's just the setting changing. Everything else you know is the same. Just that visually and sensory, some things may be different. To keep things fun for Players after every reset. ]

Fun? What kind of bullshit was this?

"Young master Luca? Do you need more time? It's time to get up," Denise called out.

She had returned sooner than I expected, but I needed her help to take care of Kaiden's attempt on Micah's life anyhow.

"I'm awake. You can enter," I said.

I waved my hand at the blue screen to go away.

[ Ah. Just so you know, only you can see me. ]

The screen wrote out but obediently disappeared.

Denise walked in. Her uniform looked different again. Instead of a dress, she wore dark trousers and a cream blouse. However, in her hands was, yet again, a tray of tea and a washbasin.

"I need an antidote against a strong poison," I told her.

I got right to business. I'd rather not die again so quickly. And I knew my family had many poisons and antidotes in store.

"Pardon? A poison…?" Denise set down the tea.

"I need the essence of a phoenix feather from the cellar," I said.

"Young master, how do you even know about such things? And why? That is a rather rare and expensive antidote." Denise's eyebrows arched.

"I need it against a demonic poison shard. Can you bring it to my room before I go down for breakfast?" I asked.

I jumped out of bed and began washing up. I didn't want to waste any more time than needed.

"Certainly, I'll prepare it for you," Denise said. "However, a demonic poison shard is quite concerning. If you know something, I should inform your parents–"

I didn't have a good excuse and said the first thing that came to mind.

"I had a tip from someone–it's probably not anything serious. But please, excuse my paranoia and provide an antidote for me as soon as possible. Just for my peace of mind."

Denise didn't look all that convinced but bowed her head.

"Young master, let me help get you dressed first, and then I'll bring the antidote."

"No." I raise up my hands. "Please take care of the antidote first. I'll get started dressing on my own. I don't have time. Please hurry."

"Very well."

Denise rushed out of the room.

I sighed and picked up my tea. I instantly grimaced.

The murky black tea reminded me of the black oozing blood coming out of my eyes and mouth after having been stabbed in place of Micah.

Where's that flower pot?

My eyes wandered over to my familiar leafy friend, and I watered it with the tea.

"System?"

[ Yes, Player Luca. How can I assist you now? ]

"Can you tell me more about this so-called' game'? Such as, when I died, there was a screen with 'HP' on it. What was that?"

I needed to grasp my unusual situation.

[ HP is your Health Points. It's a common game terminology. ]

"Common my ass. I've never played any games like this."

I played games that involved cards, dice, and liquor. Never anything like this.

[ Apologies. Since you are a beginner Player, I will explain a few things. Here is your character description to start. ]

The blue screen expanded with various statuses.

[ Player: Luca Frey

Age: 19

Title: Observant Ex-NPC

Round: 3)

Level: 6 ]

I sighed, seeing my age. I wouldn't have needed to ask Denise in my second life if I knew about this. But it was good to know there were three months before her death.

"Level 6? What does that mean?"

I splashed the cool water on my face from the washbasin and dried off with a soft towel.

[ Your level is determined based on growth stats. Unfortunately, your level was reduced since your body is weaker now.]

"That doesn't mean much to me. I didn't even know I had a 'level' before."

[ These are the stats that go into determining your level. ]

The blue screen expanded.

[ Strength : 4

Dexterity : 35

Perception : 37

Intelligence : 11

Charisma : 7

Mana : 2 ]

I couldn't tell if these numbers were good or bad. But 'Level 6' sounded small.

"What are these stats out of? '2' out of '10' is very different from '2' out of a '100'. So what's the limit?"

[ There is no limit on your potential growth. ]

"Bullshit. Or do you mean to tell me I could grow my Strength to a million and crack open a mountain?"

[ At a Strength of a million, you would be capable of much more than that. ]

"..."

The heck? Crazy. This was all absolutely crazy.

"So, is a Level '6' good or bad?"

[ It's unimpressive. But it's decent given your age. ]

[ Player Luca, just so you know, you don't need to speak to have the primary character screen come up. I can read your mind. ]

"You could have mentioned it earlier. But, actually… Isn't that a bit creepy?"

I was pulling off my clothes and changing so the System no doubt could see me, yet the thought of having my mind peeked into felt far more irksome.

[ I am a System and transcend human emotions and embarrassment. ]

[ That said, the thought command is only for the basic screens. You can think of the main screen coming up as an On and Off switch. ]

[ However, as a Player with only 40% of the features available, you do not have access to the chat feature. Thus, if you wish to communicate with me, you would need to speak out loud. ]

I didn't even know what a 'chat feature' meant, but it sounded like it allowed a Player to communicate without speaking? Like writing a letter?

So you can't hear this, right? I waited, but the System didn't respond to my thoughts. I guess it really can't.

"Also, this screen says I have an aptitude towards mana?"

I looked at the blue box floating mid-air in front of me, moving with me as I walked around the room getting dressed. I had already pulled on a basic white tunic and black trousers, and just needed to get everything else on.

"I've never used magic before. I didn't know I could use magic. And why is my Strength the second lowest?"

[ I wouldn't say you have an aptitude since you are only at '2'. But you could grow your mana stat potentially. ]

"No, thank you."

As far as I knew, the only way to grow one's mana was through an excruciating process. Fin still had nightmares from the treatment that he had undergone.

[ And you are currently at Strength '4' because your body has not undergone much training. Your previous Strength before restarting was at '67'. ]

[ Your Intelligence, Perception and Charisma can be brought over as they depend on your accumulated knowledge and memories. ]

[ Your Dexterity was able to be brought over to some extent, but as you are unaccustomed to your younger body, it is lower than previous. ]

I frowned at this insight. I was 19 years old and weak, having gone from '67' to '4' in Strength, but was this System suggesting that my Intelligence at age 26 was a mere '11'?

"Shouldn't my Intelligence be higher then?"

[ Intelligence is based on knowledge accumulated. As you avoided your studies and have not sought out new knowledge throughout your life, and rather even did the opposite, it is '11']

I clicked my tongue.

"That's fair. I never liked studying. But this doesn't account for other sources of knowledge; I'm far more street-smart than book-smart."

[ Intelligence is the accumulation of all knowledge. Perhaps your street-smart knowledge isn't as proficient as you might have believed? ]

Is this floating blue screen making fun of me?

Then again, had I been more street-smart, perhaps I wouldn't have had my fingers and ear cut off in my first life.

I rubbed my left hand. I couldn’t get used to having my two fingers still intact.

My eyes wandered to the other stats.

"But what about Charisma then? I thought I made a pretty damn good speech before I died."

[ Yes. But you had a mage's boost at that time. And that was the only time you stepped up like that. ]

Tch.

That's fair as well, I suppose. I was never much of a leader or quick with my tongue. Grandov was.

"So, what am I supposed to do with this information?"

[ The Game's objective is to save the Adovoria Kingdom from the Demonic Kobar Empire. Your aim is to improve yourself and prepare for that event. Usually, you would have fun quests and scenarios where you fight as part of the Tutorial and Game to help grow you. ]

Fun? I couldn't understand this weird blue screen. What was fun about fighting? It was perhaps necessary since I got paid for it, but it was painful and certainly not fun.

[ Unfortunately, since you were turned from an NPC into a Player under special circumstances, those functions are not available to you. ]

"Yes, yes. So what can I do to improve my stats then?"

I was somewhat intrigued by the lack of a ceiling on how far I could grow. However, I still didn't honestly believe there was no ceiling at all. Nothing ever came that easy.

I finished buttoning up, with only the final pieces remaining that I needed Denise's assistance with. I paced the emerald painted bedroom, wondering when she'd finally arrive.

[ Just as you have done in Round 1, you can train your physique to improve your Strength and Dexterity. Certain books can increase Intelligence and Charisma increases through public speaking and interactions with other characters. ]

Tsk.

So essentially, I'd have to do everything I didn't like doing. It would be an uphill battle all over again.

[ There may not be quests, but you'll be able to see how your stats rise over time using the main screen. Additional sub-skills may also be unlocked if the right conditions are met. ]

My head spun from all this information. Sub-skills? Quests? Conditions?

But before worrying about growing myself and saving Adovoria, I needed a plan on how to deal with Kaiden.

I'd prefer to avoid getting stabbed again if I can, even if I do have the antidote. I needed a Plan B.

I paced over to my bed and pulled out this round's weapon under my pillow.

A cold metal dagger yet again, just a slightly different design.

I practiced swinging it in the air. A blue screen appeared.

[ Item: Throwing Dagger

Description: Great for sneak attacks and throwing. You will have an advantage of surprise with this dagger. Also good for +::@#!.

Damage: %ۥ@ ]

I frowned.

"System. What's with the symbols?"

[ Unfortunately, as I have mentioned before, you are a partial player. Player 0.4, if you will. Only 40% of game mechanics are available to you. Due to this, some errors will occur, and information may be incomplete. ]

"Why?"

[ You were initially an NPC and an NPC being turned into a Player is unprecedented. This being the first instance of this being done, there will be errors in the setup. ]

"Can I get more access somehow?"

[ Unfortunately, I am unable to provide more access. Turning you into a Player was the extent of my abilities. However, I have confidence in your ability to succeed despite this setback. ]

"Then why bother showing anything then?" I grumbled.

[ I apologize for the inconvenience. ]

I tucked the dagger away. Perhaps I might be able to do something with it.

***

"Young master Luca, please slow down a little." The curly-haired guard jogged after me. It was the same one from yesterday with that highly expressive face.

I didn't respond. I didn't have time. Denise took too long getting the antidote, which was concealed in my right pocket. The dagger from under my pillow was in my left.

Please let me be on time. Why is this mansion so pointlessly large?

My feet rushed down the red velvet-covered stairs and leaped into the dining room.

"Luca! Oh my, this is a pleasant surprise!" Mother's voice rang out as I entered the dining room.

But my attention wasn't on her this time.

Micah had just sat down at the table and turned to look at me. A surprised smile appeared on his face.

But my attention wasn't on him either.

It was focused on Kaiden's left hand, coming down on Micah's neck. Except it wasn't a demonic poison shard but a regular metal blade.

"NOOOOO!" I screamed.

I arrived too late. And unprepared. The antidote in my pocket was useless against a regular weapon.

The curly-haired guard behind me rushed forward and cut Kaiden's head off. Three other guards ran inside the dining room, but it was too late to save my brother. Kaiden's knife had already hit a vital artery. Micah was going to bleed out within a few moments.

"Hey, at least you came down for breakfast for once, eh?"

Micah joked while looking up at me. Blood oozed out of his mouth and neck. His green eyes fluttered, struggling to stay open.

Damn it.

"No. You're not dying," I told him.

I searched around the room. But everyone's faces were ashen. Everyone knew there was no saving him from this kind of neck wound. No available healing potion was strong enough.

"I promise…breakfast isn't… usually like this. It's usually more…peaceful."

Micah tried to smile, but his white teeth were covered with blood.

Damn it. Damn it!

"No. I won't let you die," I said.

My hand clasped the dagger in my left pocket.

What I was about to do was crazy. But there was no point in winning against Kobar's demonic army if I couldn't even save a single family member.

"Luca! No!" Mother shrieked.

"Why…" Micah's green eyes widened in shock.

I had paused for a brief moment when the blade drew its first drop of blood. Killing oneself wasn't easy.

But seeing Micah dying and spilling blood out of his mouth, I knew I didn't have a choice.

I'm not going to see him die again.

The silver dagger slid across my neck in one smooth motion.

[ Warning. You are critically injured. Your health is dropping at 80 points per second. 220/300 HP remaining. ]

Ah. I'm glad it was adequately sharpened.

[ 140/300 HP remaining. ]

Warm blood poured down my neck, soaking my tunic.

[ 60/300 HP remaining. ]

[ You have died. ]

[ Reset in progress. ]

[ Beginning Round 4. ]

59