Chapter 29: Chase scene
203 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hearth why the fuck did you do that you godsdamned idiot?!” 

“Lay off her, at least we broke through the wall”

“This is me laying off of her! The alternative is me literally throttling this bog-drinker and throwing her back at the godsdamned goblins!”

Duck. Twist. Aim at the thigh of the animal. Deep cut, blood splashing. Move on.

“Fuck! Lucy, grab her shirt I think I see one over there”

 Tugged, moved, moving. Follow. Keep watch. 

“You know, she’s kind of a little wildcat huh?”

“Shut up! Hurry up! Sybil-SYBIL GET THAT OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!”

Bleh. Okay.

We’re no longer surrounded, so there’s that; not to mention there are three fewer enraged goblins chasing after us: I got two and I think Loup managed to disable one earlier. My blood’s pumping- it’s hard to focus-just a breath or two isn’t enough to calm me down, but if I get too excited I might run straight into a trap. Unlikely, considering how stupid goblins are but better safe than sorry, right?

“Ugh-Fuck!” Loup cusses as he stumbles over something. Seriously? Lucy grabs the back of his shirt to prevent him from bowling over, but the almost trip slows us down enough that some of the goblins have caught up to us. At least we still have an escape route. Or…we did have one before the ground rumbled like thunder and a large tree crashed in front of us, one side smoldering with bright red coals flickering in the weak morning sun. On top of it was the tall goblin from earlier. Based on the way it was standing unharmed on top of the still-burning wood, it was the culprit of this trap. It opened its toothy maw and uttered something that sounded as if you broke a stick underwater, causing my group to cringe as I tried to parse what was said. I think I can understand it, it sounds familiar somehow…?

“>Fire. Ball<” The goblin spoke, the words flowing like clumpy mud. Somehow even more disgusting sounding than that bug a few years back. 

I watched as the muddled words hung longer in the world, heavier than any words I had ever said before when I was speaking Cube- similar to that damned bug. 

Come to think of it, that bug was doing something to the knights, maybe-

A dim flame appeared in the goblin’s hand, curling into itself and growing larger and brighter until it hovered in the air, flickering a little as the goblin showed signs of strain, panting lightly. From behind me, I heard one of my group whisper quietly ‘did a goblin just cast magic?’ until the other frantically shushes them.

This is the first time I’ve seen magic get cast, and it’s by a child-sized monster. Ridiculous; this whole day is absolutely ridiculous. I shouldn't have left the bed this morning.

The goblin makes a flick of its hand and the fire is shot at us, after we dodge to the side several more goblins surround us from the brush. Two traps by something I was told was a stupid animal, or, did I just assume it was a stupid animal? No- it doesn’t matter; even if it is a stupid animal, we’re unlucky enough to be found by a smart one. Ugh.

Lucy and Loup are working together to fight off the three goblins harassing them while I’m standing straight and keeping my eyes on the now comfortably sitting globulin leader as it-he? He looks down at me with a curled lip. The two goblins that are surrounding me are standing still, legs stiff as they alternate between glancing at their pack leader and my hand gripping and relaxing the handle of my hatchet, wiping the blade on my dark brown pants to clean off the coagulating blood.

“Sk-sk-ske!” The leader goblin barks at the two, waving his hand lazily. I glance at the two animals lunging at me and then turn around abruptly, slamming the cargo on my back into the less physically imposing goblin. I hear a wheeze and a fall but leave no attention to the dazed goblin as I wildly wave my handaxe at the larger but dimmer-looking one of the pair. I’m not actually trying to hit it, but move it in a way that-

It-the goblin- rolls its ankle and falls, head hitting the protruding rock straight on where the temple would be on a human skull. Down on the ground I use the blunt side of my weapon and finish the whimpering beast. I try and ignore the muffled crack.

The other one, who looks rather similar to the one I just killed screeches and runs, limping, into the forest. Based on my quick glance at Lucy and Loup, they’ve taken care of their end, one-no, two goblin corpses: one was squished under another, skewered on the spear that Loup is currently tugging out, or trying to, based on the redness of his face and the fact that the spear is still deeply lodged deep inside.

“Maybe you should just leave it? I suggested, looking around for the disappeared goblin leader. Where did he go?

For some reason, I followed an urge to duck to the side, where a small fireball shot zoomed past me and smacked right into Loup, knocking him off his feet and into a tree. After struggling to get back on his hands and knees Loup just collapses back onto the ground with a whine. He’s still breathing but I don’t know if he’s conscious; I rush in front of him and urge Lucy behind me as the goblin yanks Loup’s spear out and turns to us with a sneer.

It's insane how much writing can make me feel like a particularly coordinated ape banging on a laptop. Anywho don't be like Sybil and take things for granted or things may go sideways :)

11