Chapter 141 – Cold IX
1.3k 8 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn’t take long for word to spread throughout the Northern Tribe that Teyva had stood up to the Serpent and earned its respect. While Teyva rested back at the campsite they had set up with the caravan, occasionally members of the tribe would stop by and leave small gifts of food or supplies. Some came simply to greet her or see her in person. She didn’t shy away from it, sitting with Stella and Nephral next to the campfire while Batel stood nearby. The rest of the guard had been allowed to go into the market in small groups so that they could enjoy the town themselves.

Azrael and Elat had retreated into a tent as night drew closer, while Conrad sat down at Teyva’s side opposite of Nephral. Sari excused herself to return to the town for the evening, wanting to collect her things before she departed with the caravan in the morning. When she left, Teyva sent Paraklytus after her, he’d begin working on her right away. As he drifted away she cast [Create Darkeye] and sent it off to follow him, it wasn’t that she did not trust Perry, she just wanted to learn from how he handled the situation.

As the floating eye drifted away, Teyva let out a sigh and dismissed Batel to go rest and called on Abba to take Stella again. She glanced over at Conrad and smiled at him, “You’ve been very patient.”

“I figured you wanted to speak privately,” Conrad nodded, “I’m at your disposal.”

Teyva reached into her inventory and pulled a small bundle out of it. Perry had given it to her in passing during their conversation. She’d covered it up by pretending to punch him in the arm. She rolled it between her fingers, eyeing the cloth wrapping before turning her eyes on Conrad. They seemed to glow faintly in the dimming light. “What are your aspects, Conrad?”

Conrad inclined his head, “I possess the Aspects of Order, Humanity, and The Unspeakable. The latter having been given to me by my merger with the Ascendant Wightling.”

“Three,” Teyva nodded, “Two more to go.”

“Yes, my lady, I have been pressing Paraklytus for access to his collection so that-” He was cut off by Teyva holding up a hand.

“I know what you’ve been up to, Connie,” She teased, grinning at him and opening up the bundle in her hands. He frowned, the nickname rankling him a little. Inside was an Aspect Stone, the fist-sized gem writhing in her grip as clouds of mist and smoke boiled beneath the glossy surface. She held it up and examined it.

Warning! You already possess the maximum number of Aspects! You may not use this stone.

She dismissed the prompt, “Stand before me,” Conrad rose to his feet and stepped around the fire, standing in her line of sight. She held up the stone, “This is a rare stone from Perry’s collection,” Teyva said, “Apparently it was taken from a powerful creature that Labyrinthian soldiers slew over a millennia ago.”

Conrad could barely contain his excitement, he beamed, bowing at the waist, “I am honored beyond words, Majesty,” He stood up straight and looked around, “Where is Lord Paraklytus? Should he not be present to activate the stone?”

Teyva shook her head and got to her feet, the fire between them, the flames illuminated her haunting face. “He won’t be here for this,” Teyva said, “Paraklytus says that I need to learn how to do this myself. So you will be my first.”

Conrad’s eyes went wide and he dropped to a knee, lowering his head, “I’m not worthy of this.”

Teyva smiled and looked down at the man prostrate before her. While she hadn’t known him for very long he had been steadfast in reaffirming his loyalty to her. She turned her head to the stone and examined the smoky surface. She walked around the fire and placed a hand on Conrad’s back. 

As an Aspect Being of level 10 or higher you are capable of activating an Aspect Stone on behalf of another entity. Would you like to grant the powers of the [Aspect Stone of the Lord of Horrors] to [Conrad Akos]?

Yes / No


Teyva chuckled, “Wow, it really works.”

“My lady?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Teyva said, and selected yes on the prompt.

The stone dissolved into her hand, unlike when she absorbed a stone there was no explosion or burst of power. Instead, the stone seemed to melt into her skin. She felt the cold material travel through her body, passing from her right arm, across her chest, and into her left arm. It slipped down to her fingertips before she felt it leave her body, seeping into Conrad’s flesh. The knight grunted, gritting his teeth and pressing his chin to his chest as the stone began to work on his body. He gasped and put both hands on the ground, digging them into the dirt while his veins pulsed in his throat. 

“Endure it,” Teyva snapped, “Do not pass out.”

Conrad growled at the dirt, squeezing his eyes shut as the light from the flames began to dim within his vicinity. Finally, after several moments of agony he let out a gasp and started to breathe normally, the tension in his body easing. He coughed, pressing his head against the dirt and took a few steadying breaths.

“All done,” Teyva said, smiling at him, “That wasn’t so bad, was it dearie?” She teased and walked back over to where she had been sitting. Conrad remained on his knees for a while longer before finally pushing himself up to a position where he could look at her. His eyes were bloodshot and sweat glittered against his brow.

“I cannot thank you enough for this, my Queen,” He coughed.

“Your loyalty is all I ask for, Conrad, that and your friendship,” Teyva said, settling into her seat, “Although there is one thing you can start doing for me now that I’m thinking about it.”

“Anything,” He said hurriedly.

“Stop coddling my grandson and start training the little creature,” She quipped, pointing at his chest, “You’ve kept him in there long enough. He needs to experience the outside world if he’s going to grow.”

Conrad looked down at his chest and then his eyes widened with realization, “Yes! I’ll let him out-”

“Later, once we’ve left the city limits, let’s not startle anyone, alright?” Teyva said gently, holding up a finger.

“Of course,” He said with a bow, “Thank you again, your Majesty.”

“Go get some rest,” Teyva said running her fingers down Nephral’s back. The fallen knight nodded and stepped away to find his tent. Teyva let out a breath that devolved into a yawn. She rubbed her eyes, “Man today was exhausting.”

“Paraklytus couldn’t stop singing your praises when we spoke earlier, Mother,” Nephral said, “He’s very impressed with your progress.”

Teyva sighed and rubbed her nose, “Yeah, but it still wears me out, I’m surprised I haven’t started going forsooth this and thee thy thou that,” She said, deepening her voice trying to sound big and important, “Please, for the love of all that is good in the world, kill me if I start doing that.”

Nephral chuckled, “Who knows? It might work for you, mother.”

“Don’t you dare suggest that,” Teyva said, ruffling the hair on his head, “How was your day, sweets?”

“I lounged in the sun and hunted with the mockeries before doing more lounging,” Nephral purred, “It was quite nice.”

“I am so jealous,” Teyva groaned, turning to lean against him, he shifted his body a bit to give her a bit more surface as a pillow, she yawned and rubbed her eyes. “Hope things are going well with Perry.”


Sari drifted across yet another bridge, her eyes focused on her destination. She rubbed her arms, licking her lips and trying not to draw too much attention to herself. She’d been here long enough that most people knew her from sight but there was still a chance of that one-off person spotting her and asking where she’s from. She wasn’t interested in conversation. Her cravings had grown worse as the day had worn on, every instant surrounded by so many strong people had made her twitchy and flustered. She needed to sate herself one way or the other.

Her hand drifted down to the knife strapped to her thigh, she ran her thumb over the hilt and let out a steady breath. Her heart was hammering in her ears. She’d never been exposed to a presence like Teyva’s before. How had she changed so much so quickly? She had sensed the young woman attempting to sense her aspects the day they had met, but back then her presence had been hardly a whisper. The lion's roar that had made her feel like nothing more than prey to be consumed had come from nowhere. She shuddered, her fingers twitching around the weapon.

She watched an Azar villager walk by ahead of her, the young man carrying a bundle of wood in his arms. She could make it quick, just one, just feel the feelings again for just a moment before disposing of him off the side of the spire. No evidence, no witnesses, satisfaction. But would that be enough? What about one of her poisons? She hadn’t tested one of them in ages, she needed to check on the reactivity post-extended storage. Perhaps the aburatoxin, it would paralyze the vocal chords and leave him functional to walk to a private place. She would have to press the needle along his carotid artery, applying just the right amount of pressure to avoid excessive blood loss.

Her fingers twitched again, could she risk it? Watching the symptoms would be more satisfying but there was a risk of discovery. She exhaled, drawing on the [Aspect of the Razor] and began to cut through the air, the sounds of even of her footsteps dying away in her wake. She lowered her left hand and slipped it into her pocket, pulling out one of the needles tucked away for use. She pulled one out and removed the small cap off the tip, revealing shiny black metal beneath, the poison infused into the steel.

Her heart beat faster as she strode closer, closer, she licked her lips hungrily.

“Miss Sari?” A jolly voice called out to her from behind and her hand dropped to her side, the needle slipping into her palm. She turned her head and tried to control her expression even as rage boiled in her gut. The rage collapsed in on itself as an icy chill went up her spine and froze her stomach whole. She met the gaze of the undead creature that had been accompanying Elat’s group.

She bore her teeth, “Can I help you, creature?” She demanded, trying to work the edge out of her voice.

“Pardon me for startling you,” The creature called ‘Paraklytus’ said behind that silver mask, “I wanted a moment of your time to talk. I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot.”

“I think you have the wrong idea,” Sari hissed, “I don’t associate with the undead.”

The creature raised his head, “Oh really?” He drifted closer, his body clearly floating off the surface of the ground. She looked down at where his feet should be and then up into his face. “I think you might not be telling me the truth there, madam physician,” He looked down at her hand and then up at her face. “Having a rough night?”

She bore her teeth, “What do you want?” She demanded.

“I merely wish to extend an offer,” The creature said, “First, allow me to introduce myself properly. I am Archlich Paraklytus, advisor to Queen Teyva Akura,” he said, raising his hand to his heart and bowing once with a practiced gesture. She wrinkled her nose and looked down at his bony head.

“Get to the point,” Sari ground out, “What does Teyva want from me, Lich?”

“Your allegiance,” Paraklytus said.

“Pass,” Sari said, turning away, “I’m a traveler, I don’t tie myself to anyone.”

“There is only so much you can learn from wandering, my dear,” Paraklytus said, “Study, especially that of such an esteemed field as medicine, should be done within a laboratory with access to aides, equipment, and texts left behind by those who came before you.”

Sari twitched, she didn’t look back at the creature, “Is that your only offer? The humans offered me the same thing.”

“The humans have a library over a thousand years old?” Paraklytus said, “I’m impressed.”

Sari turned back to him, “A thousand- no,” She turned away and started walking, “I’m not interested, Lich.”

Paraklytus drifted ahead of her, turning around and blocking off her pursuit of the young man who was getting further and further away. She ground her teeth, her right hand clenching into a fist so tight she might start to draw blood. “Get out of my way,” Sari hissed.

“I know that look,” Paraklytus drawled, “The look of a killer.”

Sari smiled at him, “I’m afraid I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.”

“You’re a bad liar, Sari, a good trait, is silence how you’ve kept your secret? Have you spent your days traveling so you don’t gut one of your own kin to sate your cravings?” He asked, his eyes glowing brighter. She felt a gentle pressure against her body and realized exactly what he was doing. She pushed back with her mana, trying to get him out of her head. How had he weaseled his way in so easily? Just what the hell was he? She glanced over his shoulder and saw the young man step off the bridge and head toward one of the homes nearest by. She let out a breath through her nostrils.

“That was mine,” She snarled, light dancing around her right hand, “You’ll pay for that.”

“The Lord of Plagues,” The lich said aloud. She froze, taking a step back. “Was an aspect being that existed long before the rise of kingdoms. It’s descendants still live though, stalking the swamps and fens of the region between the Balthin Sea and the Southern Badlands, home of your people if I am understanding my geography correctly.”

Sari narrowed her eyes, “They are not my people.”

“Really? Why is that?” Paraklytus asked.

Sari spat on the ground, “Not your business.”

There was a flash of movement, and before she even had a moment to react his hand was wrapped around her face. She felt his pointed bony fingers pressing into her skin. His face was so close, his mask having vanished and revealing the grinning skull behind it. “On the contrary, little girl, your history is entirely my business.”

68