Chapter 151 – Four I
1.4k 5 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unlike Myranda’s acolytes, who took the knowledge that they would be staying behind at the tower in stride, her two priests were far less accepting of the news. Azrael scowled at both of them as they crowded her outside of the ring of wagons. From just past her the sounds of cleanup were coming through loud and clear. The caravan would be ready to depart within just a few hours. Nivan and Vetoi had both been rendered practically defenseless after Myranda’s enhancements had been stripped from her. Apparently, it was one hell of a chain reaction when someone possessing a High Priestess aspect lost their abilities. Even so, they were as passionate as ever.

“We belong at our priestess’ side!” Vetoi spat, stomping her foot on the ground, “You can’t expect us to stand by while some strangers take her away to who-knows where!”

Azrael sighed, of course, she understood where they were coming from. Azrael would feel the same, “My Queen does not want to take any chances with the Elven King. She is concerned that if you were to join us, you would leap at him rather than wait and think.”

“We are priests! We actively meditate on everything we do!” Nivan countered, pointing a finger in Azrael’s face.

Azrael’s eye twitched and looked him dead in the eye, “Then why didn’t you just let my Queen meet with the Priestess? She had come in peace, idiot.”

Nivan winced and his face began to darken with frustration, “This and that are…”

“In no way different,” Azrael corrected him before he could begin, “Have some faith, that’s your job, isn’t it?” 

It was Vetoi’s turn to look infuriated, but unlike Nivan who looked ready to continue the fight, she sighed and nodded. “Our High Priestess confirmed that the woman you follow is our Goddess. While we do not trust you and those around her, we will have faith that the Age Eater will see to her High Priestess’ safety.”

Azrael let out a breath and rubbed her face when the two departed, Vetoi practically dragging Nivan with her. She glanced over at Sari who had been lingering nearby, arms crossed and her cold eyes watching the proceedings. “How is the Priestess, by the way?”

Sari pursed her lips, “As her friend, I am quite concerned for her. As a scientist, she’s a fascinating subject,” Sari admitted, reaching up to play with her hair a little. She glanced to the right and then let out a breath, “It would seem the side effects of losing the inherent enhancements granted by the High Priest Aspect are fairly severe. Akin to withdrawal from a potent drug. On top of that, there is a noticeable loss of muscle mass and weakening of the internal organs. She is pfrail as a newborn right now.”

Azrael shook her head, “Teyva’s probably torn about giving the powers back now. Still getting used to that whole ‘handing out powers’ thing, I imagine.”

“Handing out powers?” Sari asked.

“Teyva activated the Lord of Horrors stone for Conrad,” Azrael pointed out, “It was her first time and now she’s got a priestess whose powers are literally based on hers. It’s a lot to take in.”

Sari’s hand slipped to her pouch but she steeled herself, keeping the conversation going. “I would be surprised if she was torn, Teyva struck me as the type to make an example out of someone.”

“Oh sure,” Azrael said, starting to walk back towards the caravan as several of the mounted Knights began moving around, taking up positions around the lead wagon and the marble carriage. “But besides annoying her a little, Myranda hasn’t really done anything wrong. Her Majesty is anything but arbitrary,” The warden-knight pointed out, resting her hand on the hilt of her weapon. “She doesn’t trust Myranda as a person yet but I doubt she sees her as a threat.”

Sari looked thoughtful, “Your Queen…” Sari murmured, “Is she in need of a skilled physician?”

Azrael raised an eyebrow, “You’ll have to ask her directly, I personally wouldn’t mind having you around,” Azrael looked up at the sky, snow was beginning to fall again, “Honestly I think it would solve a lot of problems if you swore fealty to her.”

Sari swallowed, “Solve problems?”

Azrael stepped into the central space between the wagons and began to move toward the marble carriage, “Well for one, the more immediate problem of Myranda. You two have a history, right? If Myranda knew that you put your faith in Teyva, then perhaps Myranda would be more likely to reaffirm that faith of hers,” Azrael said.

“How does that benefit you, though?” Sari asked.

“I am her Majesty’s general in the shadows,” Azrael said, “I’ve chosen to live my life aiding her rise to power. Anything that can accelerate that is of benefit to me.”

Azrael paused, “Besides,” she said, lowering her voice a little, “I’m going to need your help soon.”

“With what?” Sari pressed.

“Your niece and or nephew,” Azrael said flatly, looking the orcish woman in the face.

Sari blinked, her mouth opened and closed, she looked up at the sky for a moment and then down at Azrael. She cleared her throat and played with her hair before letting out a sigh, “Perhaps it’s time I stopped traveling.”

Azrael smiled, “Would you like me to bring you to Teyva?”

“No,” Sari said, shaking her head, “I don’t know if what I feel towards her Majesty is loyalty, fascination, or a twisted desire to get what I want from her.”

Azrael laughed as they passed a wagon, “Why not all of the above? It works for Conrad, Teyva told me about what his goals are. He didn’t join Teyva because he liked her, not at first. He joined us because Teyva promised him revenge. As a knight of honor he takes his role seriously. It just kind-of… grew from that,” She said thoughtfully. “I’m not saying that you should join up so you can get caught up in our pace and decide to stick around. I’m saying that if you don’t have your own motivations and ambitions, what good are you to her Majesty?”

Sari looked thoughtful, “I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Great!” Azrael laughed and opened the door to the carriage, she stopped and inclined her head, “My Queen.”

Teyva, who had been sitting with little Stella in her arms, smiled at the two of them, “Welcome back ladies! Thank you for taking care of things with the Priests,” Teyva said, glancing down at the baby. “I’m sure you’re both ready to go and get this thing over with, so climb on in.”

Azrael beamed at Teyva and climbed in, she whispered something in Teyva’s ear and the Queen laughed, elbowing her friend. Azrael laughed and leaned over to check in on Stella. Sari looked between the two of them and then over to Conrad who she’d come to respect. The dark-haired male human leaned back in his seat, his eyes closed in meditation. Her gaze shifted over to Paraklytus who offered her a polite nod and gestured for her to sit across from him and next to Elat who sat slumped in his seat, sound asleep.

Sari’s lip twitched, they were a bunch of strange people, but perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad being surrounded by such people. At least here she could use her knowledge towards something. She glanced at Teyva. She also had the chance to expand her knowledge beyond anything she’d ever thought imaginable. She sat down across from Paraklytus and held his gaze. Had he known she was going to start feeling like this? Had he goaded her into trying to impress Teyva with this result in mind? He must have known that she would only do what benefitted her, ultimately. 

Surrounded by strong allies, a well of knowledge, resources to experiment and study, and most importantly, something to put all her work towards. A goal besides becoming greater than any doctor who ever lived. She looked over at Teyva one more time and then leaned back in her seat. She’d talk it over with Myranda first. For now, the priestess would have to cool her heels in one of the rear carriages under the watchful eye of the Princess's guard. It was better that way.

The wagon began to move and the party of six was jostled slightly by the movement. It would take them almost a day to get back to the main road and the snow was beginning to grow heavier. The sounds of horses putting forth greater efforteffor to increase speed ahead of the encroaching winter storms leaked their way into the carriage. Barely audible commands from Abba and Batel carried over the growing noise. Men and women on horseback drew into formation and before long they were on their way.

A day’s journey did indeed bring them back to the main road. Nothing blocked their passage at this point. From there they continued their route north uninterrupted. Occasionally Teyva would hand off Stella and then go into a deep trance while she and Paraklytus wrestled with one another. Azrael would spend most of her time reading one of many books that she had brought with her for the ride while Conrad broke his silence to speak with Sari and ask her about her travels. Now and then Teyva would make a delighted sound and tap at the air before going back into her trance and resuming her wrestling with Paraklytus.

The weather grew more intense as the final week of their journey went on before turning into a near white-out blizzard by the time they left the crowded mountainous crags and broke into the greater part of the Northern Wastes. Much like the Balthin Sea, with the weather like this it was difficult to see more than a few hundred feet ahead. It was fortunate that standing poles marked with glowing magic-powered lanterns marked the path further and further along the trail until they arrived at a set of gates guarded by elven men in white-gold armor.

Brief, muted conversation could be heard outside the carriage that ended as quickly as soon as it began. The caravan starting to move again as the gates opened and they were welcomed inside. Instead of stopping, though, they continued until they heard the sound of another set of gates opening and the carriage was bathed in darkness. Frowning, Teyva leaned to the door and opened it, “Nephral? What’s going on out here?”

The Sphinx who had been playing in the snow atop the carriage this entire time poked his head out from above and peered into the carriage, the panther-sized familiar bore his teeth in a grin. “This is the safest route to the Elven Capital, from what the man at the fortress outside the mountain said.”

“Mountain?” Paraklytus asked, “The Elves live atop a mountain?”

“Yes,” Nephral said, “This tunnel goes up and through the mountain itself and exits at the peak where the city has been built.”

Sari raised an eyebrow, “You weren’t aware of how the elves lived?”

“Not in this time, no,” Paraklytus explained, “Fascinating.”

Conrad rubbed his arms, “It will be even colder up there, yes?”

“Probably,” Teyva grunted and leaned back in her seat, crossing her arms. Everyone stared at her angrily except for Paraklytus., Sshe looked at them all, “What?”. The gathered group sighed and shook their heads. Teyva scowled, “What?” she asked again, completely confused.

63