Chapter 63: Outside, Long Time After.
44 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More than a month has passed since Kobold King 'officially' declared me the king of dwarfs.
That didn't change much, as most dwarves, except the old ones, weren't aware of this tradition, though some began jokingly calling me my liege.
We were still repairing houses, making tools, and creating farmland for food.
Things looked good. People were still enjoying their newfound freedom.
But as much as I wanted to be happy with them, I couldn't forget our problems.
Our food supplies were running faster than my expectations. We were fishing and using the mushrooms from the forest, but they alone won't be enough.
We also lacked herbalists or people who were proficient healers. There were some supplies left from wardens, but that was it.
And finally, General Leonhard. He wouldn't let such a precious place get out of his hand forever.
I was surprised that the enemy hadn't attempted yet.
Every day, the balance tilted a little more towards us. Our soldiers trained more. We added more rockets and bolts to our arsenals.
I was very proud of our military strength.
I equipped every soldier with good-quality armor and weapons.
For ranged encounters, we had crossbows and primitive rockets.
We also carried those large ballistas made against Hollow's using Fionnlagh to defend the entrance.
*knock*
I wonder who is this. "Come in." It was getting boring.
The door opened, and a woman in a long dress entered the room.
I grabbed my sword. "A surprise guest, who you may be?"
"Someone with a deal." She snapped her fingers, and a cigarette appeared in her hands. "And I am very confident with what I have in hand."
I knew what I was doing was stupid, but. "And what that deal may be?"
She smiled. "A friend of yours, the knight with silver armor."
Arthur. "And what about this friend of mine?"
"I have his location."
Ruckus had told me about Arthur's situation. He was a prisoner. "And?"
"So you have no ears outside." She chuckled. "Blind as a mole, deaf as a stone. Your shining knight openly rebelled against General Leonhard, who imprisoned a young princess to protect his right to the throne."
I started laughing like a maniac. The woman was confused.
After some time, I stopped laughing and took a deep, satisfying breath.
Ruckus had told about Arthur's whereabouts a long time ago. But to think that idiot gets captured after openly rebelling against General is almost pitiful. But the princess is alive. "Princess is alive?" I asked.
Lady smiled. "Oh dear, I think I just said something I shouldn't."
Talking about Ruckus, all this rebellion and other things made me forget about him.
I haven't seen him since he gave me the key to my collar. I wonder which hole he hid.
"As much as I like to know that idiot's location, how can I trust you."
She smiled. "Of course, you can't."
"And I don't even know who you are? Or what your goals are."
"I am," She took a puff from her cigarette. "I will be honest. I want the Civil War to last as long as it could. This state of chaos allows me to use every side to my advantage."
A third party. "So, you believe adding Arthur to my side will make this place harder to conquer, thus weakening General Leonhard, who I assume already has immense strength."
"Bravo, you are right. General already controls the capital and turns the last heir into his puppet. Yet, after losing the fortress, his rising power stagnated and gave enough time for the opposition to gather forces."
"Then, I will take your offer. It benefits both of us."
"If only all the people I deal with were as smart as you are." She placed an envelope on my table. "This is the location. I think you and your little pet can easily go there." She snapped her fingers and faded into shadows.
Not long after, a familiar face showed himself. Ruckus.
"Shit. You didn't take any of her offers, didn't you?" He looked out of breath.
"I almost thought we accidentally killed you during the battle. Where were you?"
"I escaped before you began your attack and hid outside. I was going to come when I found information about Arthur, but I rushed here when I heard she was moving here. That damned witch" He looked angry.
"What witch, and how did you pass my security?"
"The damned Lady, who tried to kill you and Arthur, remember her? Now, darling, I won't tell my trade secrets, but make sure every hole is closed."
I sighed and sat down. "Now everything makes perfect sense." I reached for the envelope and opened it. Inside was a small map of the North with one town marked.
"Do you think she is luring me out?"
Ruckus pulled himself a chair and sat as well. "I don't know, probably, but she talked truthfully. She wants to keep the civil war going as long as possible."
I stared at the map, tracing the location marked by a small, ominous symbol. Lady's offer was tempting. Saving Arthur and potentially strengthening our position in the ongoing civil war fits perfectly with my goals, which scares me.
"How many eyes she has on me?" I said out loud.
"Probably more than you can count," Ruckus answered.
He sighed. "I am almost sure it's a trap, Erwin, but she was right about one thing. General Leonhard won't give up this place without a fight. I am pretty sure he already has an army marching towards here. We need all we can have, and Arthur is a card you cannot afford to lose."
I nodded in agreement. "We need to consider the risks. I will scout the area. I can bust Arthur out using Fionnlagh and a small army of undead."
"I will come too." Ruckus offered his help. "Arthur is an old friend of mine. I owe him."
I raised my palm. "No, I need something else from you." Ruckus was right. Enemy might arrive here any time, and we can't survive a long siege. "Go out and find me people who might sell us seeds, rations, and some other materials we need. We can pay with gold or equipment."
"You sure about that? I can be a good help. My prison break abilities are surprisingly good. I can take him out without a single sound."
"It is about sending a message to the world. I am here, and I am powerful. There are multiple sides to this civil war. While we are enemies with some, we can be allies or at least settle on natural terms beneficial to both sides with others."
Ruckus nodded. "I see. Your plan is not foolproof. Still, better than locking ourselves here."
"Good. Now let's make you meet with Silvertower, who I want you to make your reports while I am away."
***
**
*
I ordered a custom saddle for Fionnlag for carrying items and people.
Workers delivered a primitive saddle made from wood and ropes since they lacked the time and materials for a fancy one.
But it was good enough for now. It had enough space for three people and some extra storage area.
When night finally fell, I entered the balcony at the gate. Fionnlagh was waiting for me.
I patted Wyvern's head and jumped on his back. "Fly."
With my command, Fionnlagh ran several meters, then leaped into the air and began flapping his wings.
Arthur's location wasn't too far from the fortress, but I had another plan beforehand.
I wanted to visit my cave after a long time.
And thanks to my flying friend, it didn't take me long to find it.
Just as I left it, a mess.
Snow melted a bit, and some grass appeared, but everything was the same.
Right at the entrance was the giant battle ax used by that giant draugr.
Moonlight shined over the weapon. I inspected it closely. It had beautiful engravings and had a solid handle.
The blood stains on its head were showing its age.
I remembered being able to lift it momentarily to deliver the final attack on that battle. I assumed. "My body grew strong enough to use you."
I grabbed the ax, and my veins gleamed hellish red.
[Champion's Might:
The user's physical strength significantly increases while using the weapon.]
I lifted the weapon, and to my surprise, it was much lighter than anticipated.
Perhaps because I grew that strong or because of my weapons ability, I wasn't going to throw such a blessing away either way.
Before leaving to save Arthur, I entered the cave and grabbed some of my treasure as pocket money.
Fionnlagh flew once more.
***
**
*
The fortress I targeted was next to a town, so I first visited there for information before jumping into the fire.
I ordered Fionnlagh to land two hundred meters away from town and hide until I called him with a fire spear to the sky.
After a short walk, I heard some voices.
I looked at the source of the noise. It was bandits. There were around three dozen of them, all armed to the teeth.
"Come on, why are you so scared about some bandits? Weren't you repeating that minutes ago?"
A young man with a scar on his face approached a naked man with lots of bruises.
The young bandit was holding a pretty sword in his hand, and he was slowly dragging it around the tied man's neck.
"How sad these little bandits manage to defeat you." Suddenly, the young bandit stabbed the man's leg.
And with a psychopathic voice. "That's what happens when you don't pay those little bandits. Come on, everybody! Today is my treat. Everything you loot is yours, and every girl you put your hands first as well."
The bandit group cheered their leader.
With that, more showed their faces. There were almost a hundred of them.
I thought about letting bandits cause chaos since it would draw forces from the fortress out, but I am a fool.
I drew my battle ax, and my body began glowing hellish red, including the core of my mithril prosthetic arm.
"What is there to cheer so much," I called the bandits.
I took their attention as I wanted.
Young bandit with a surprised voice. "Who might that be."
"An idiot." I laughed. "Just an idiot."
"Look at our hero. Are you here to beat us and save these innocent people?"
"They never end."
"I see that armor first. It is mine."
They were fighting for loot before the battle began.
"Shut up, you idiots." The young bandit shut his underling's mouths. "What do you want from us? Are you with Aezikal?"
"Azikal? Who the hell is that? I am here to stop you guys from raiding that town."
A bandit amongst them stepped forward. "Then how great." He was carrying a double-sided dagger. A very useless-looking weapon. "That means I can kill you right now!"
Bandit charged at me with great speed.
I slashed my weapon forward at an unexpectedly high speed the moment the bandit came into my range and split the man into two.
"Shit, that's one less soldier for me. I should control my strength better."
And before another bandit attacked, I fired a Flame Spear into the sky.
The sound of the magical projectile's explosion echoed throughout the forest.
"Now I only need to hold these low lives until my scally friends arrive."

2