Vampire in Space Chapter 4: Alone Together
185 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The admiral went off screen as torpedoes were launched at the USJP. How he justified this course of action when his people were onboard was beyond me. The captain of the USJP stared at the damage reports flabbergasted. The torpedoes hit the ship and caused alarms to go off. Schematics came up of points on the ship where the damage was extensive. If another round of torpedoes were shot the ship could be damaged beyond repair. Crew members were undoubtedly injured if not dead from the damage.

"Hey Captain, now that you're awake do you mind getting us out of here while you still can!?" Brandy said.

"I'm Captain Emile. Set course for an HQ jump."

"I'm sorry but the system is offline." The AI answered. "Prepare to be boarded."

The admiral's ship docked with the USJP. The admiral spoke up when he boarded, “Those who surrender will keep their lives. As for the rest of you, you will be put down. My officers and I have enough guns to send you all to hell where you belong. Surrender now and you can keep your life.” At first, we attempted to put up a fight. We shot at the federalists with little luck as they had portable shields. Quickly it became obvious we were at a disadvantage. Several rebel officers were shot, and one killed. Slowly but surely, we all surrendered. All the rebel officers were arrested. I was also apprehended but with an additional collar that synced with my cuffs. The neck collar emitted a low shock when I snarled at a guard. Even with my restraints I could try escaping but I knew it would cause more trouble than it was worth. Plus, that would leave Brandy defenseless. Not that I had a reason to care for her. I behaved and followed the guards as they led us to the brig. I managed to get the same cell as Brandy. Together we paced our small cell.

They would eventually feed us and my best bet to escape was when that happened. I didn't care what I needed to do. Being stuck was something I didn't enjoy. I remembered being suspended in space in my cube prison. Floating without purpose. I didn't ever want to relive that isolation. I made a vow not to kill anyone and then I was released. Now I was trapped once more. Should I make another vow to the gods?

"I know you don't want to stay in here but don't make things worse by attacking the guards." Brandy said, leaning against the wall.

I crossed my arms the cuffs adjusting to the new position, "I plan to get out of here. You should come with me." Brandy said nothing more, her face a mask. I had to keep hope otherwise who knew what would be done to me if I was put back on trial.

Brandy broke her silence, “How do you feel being trapped again?”

“Like I could lose it at any moment. I did not miss this feeling.”

“What did you hate most about being imprisoned in that floating cube?” Brandy said.

“The utter isolation. Not being able to see anyone or speak to anyone. At least I have you with me now.”

“You do have me with you. You’re not alone.” Something about Brandy’s words brought me a little peace. Things weren’t as bad as they could be.

The guards came up to our forcefield with trays of food. I immediately went to grab their hands as the food slid through the field. At first nothing happened but as I continued to apply pressure sparks issued forth and the guard I was holding yelped.

"Enough," said the other guard. They put a staff through the field to push me back. I grabbed hold of it and pulled the guard forward into the field. The food I had failed to grab was suspended in the forcefield. Brandy grabbed it as I struggled with the guard. The other guard began to pull his colleague back as I pulled him forward with the staff. Brandy put the food down and helped me pull the staff. The forcefield was humming at a high pitch stretched by the staff and guard who was being pulled into it. Brandy and I pulled with all our might and the sound of a large crack resounded in our ears as the forcefield broke. I didn't hesitate. I immediately incapacitated the guards and took their weapons. Brandy followed suit. The two of us let out the other rebels. Together we headed to the escape pods. Of course, there were crew members along the way that we had to shoot. I made sure to set my gun on a lower setting so I wouldn't inadvertently kill anyone. The admiral himself, Brandy called him Cohen, appeared in the hallway en route to the escape pods. He was with a security detail. Their guns were probably set to kill. I didn't want to test that theory.

"Give up while you still can." Admiral Cohen said with derision.

Brandy was the first to surge forward with a shot. Bullets fired and people fell lifelessly to the floor. I used my speed to approach the shooters. Knocked their now bent guns to the ground. I finished bending the admiral's gun before he had the chance to breathe.

"You're going to let us through, or your people will be in a world of pain." I said, hissing harshly.

"I refuse." Admiral Cohen said.

"Alright with me." I began breaking the arms of the security detail. I motioned for my people to run past me. Brandy was the only person remaining with her gun trained on Cohen. Brandy saw the way was clear. Security guards writhed in pain as she walked past Cohen. Together we made it to the escape pod.

 

We launched off the side of the ship. Immediately we had to take evasive maneuvers because the USJP fired at us. We got hit and a loud alarm sounded on the radio. I could barely hear Brandy's voice as she cursed. I was sure we'd die with the next hit. To avoid further shots, we went into a field of debris. Junk floated in the space around us. We hid behind a huge chunk of a ship. Brandy and I were squashed inside the tiny escape pod. Both of us were ramrod straight and strapped into place. There was not even a foot between us. The sound of ship fire in the distance kept my heart racing. The last thing I wanted to do was die in space. Brandy gave me a smile, “Thanks for your help back there.” 

I smiled back at her, “Prison changed me. Thank you for helping me to escape.” 

“No problem, now if only we can get back to the Lancet.” We hung in silence glad for the debris that hid us. 

“If we didn’t think that you were the new authorized captain on the USJP maybe we wouldn’t have all been on the ship when the admiral showed up.” Brandy let out a low sigh.

“Do you blame me for our people getting captured and killed?” I looked at Brandy’s eyes.

“Yes and no. There was no way to know the AI would be so willful about who was captain. Still, you assured us the ship was successfully captured.”

“I’m sorry it didn’t work out.” I ground out the apology.

Brandy had some cuts and bruises. I could smell the blood on her. My blood lust made my eyes see red. I tried to calm the predatory nature in me. After all, Brandy was not food. I could not drink her blood.

 When we finally did get spotted, we were lucky. A tractor beam caught hold of us and we were pulled to dock on The Lancet. I silently thanked the gods.

The USJP began shooting at the Lancet. The ship’s shields were wavering and on the brink of collapse. Brandy made her way to the bridge with me in tow. The captain of the Lancet was firing off orders when we entered the bridge. Brandy took her place at a terminal, and I stood in her shadow as she began shooting return fire at the USJP. The captain had the crew open an HQ Tunnel and we did an FTL jump as our ship was hit with torpedoes. Alarms were blaring as we arrived in open space. The ship was in need of repair, but we made it safely from the battlefield. The captain looked at me, "What are you doing here?"

"I followed Brandy, mam."

Brandy grabbed my arm, "Let's get you off the bridge Ela. Sorry Captain Guthrapali."

I looked at Brandy's hand on my arm and suppressed a hiss.

"You can let go now. I'll follow you." Brandy let go and the strangest feeling came over me - I felt her hand's absence and missed her touch. That was not normal for me at all.

8