Vampire in Space Chapter 5: One of Their Own
130 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up the next morning groggy. The walls of my cell felt as though they were wrapped around me. The space was hard to breathe in. Brandy arrived at my cell with food and guards in tow. The cell shield was brought down, which made me feel less trapped. Brandy walked in with my tray of food and gave it to me. Her blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail. A cup of blood was on the tray.  "Thank you," I said as I grabbed the cup. The blood was still warm which meant the donor had just given the blood. I ate my breakfast quickly; the taste of the eggs was delicious. The food helped me to calm down. Being isolated in a cell reminded me too much of my imprisonment in the cube. I debated telling Brandy my feelings about being locked in the cell, but in the end couldn’t say a thing. I couldn’t trust Brandy with my weakness. I couldn’t trust anyone with such severe information about my fear of enclosed spaces. For me, floating in the cube in space was something I didn’t want to repeat.

  My mind went back to food. I wondered if there were chickens on board but decided not to ask. Some ships carried livestock and cultivated farms so they could be self-sufficient for food. Cheese was missing from my breakfast. I sighed wishing I could prepare my breakfast myself. A good deal more meat would be on my plate. After I finished eating Brandy spoke to me, “We need you to board another ship." I nodded not really wanting to take the risk of capture. I cradled my head in my hands trying to stay calm. But the emotions welled up inside of me until it was too much to be contained. I didn’t want to board another ship and risk capture.

Brandy continued, “It’s of utmost importance that you take out the captain."

"Do you mean kill? I made a vow not to kill anyone again." 

"We need you to break your vow." My vow that led to my freedom. I promised not to kill and was rescued from that hell of the cube. The gods don’t want me to kill again. I can’t risk it. Fear coiled up my spine. My hands grew clammy.

"How about I bring someone with me that can kill the captain?" I hoped that would be doable.

"Anyone you bring with you won't have the speed necessary to avoid capture like you. They could be used against you."

  I nodded, "What if I captured the captain and brought them aboard the Lancet? Then your crew could kill the captain or use them as a hostage. Also, if I do this, I need a better room."

Brandy said nothing for a long time. I reasoned to myself the capture of the captain would be just as good as killing them. No one had to die. Brandy finally responded, "Okay you can take the captain hostage. Just make sure you blindfold them. This time you're going to board the enemy via an escape pod. Your target is Leona Sansona, and she is very popular amongst the Federalists. You will be capturing a popular figure in the minds and hearts of the Federalists. You do this mission and I’ll talk to the captain about your room." As Brandy outlined the course of action, I knew I would have to be careful. The chance of getting captured was high. I requested a cloth so I could blindfold the captain. One was given to me, and I tied it around my arm. Last time I took a captain hostage the ship’s AI ended up reverting its loyalty to the Federalists. There was an all-out battle which led to casualties. I didn’t want a repeat of the last time and probably the rebels didn’t either. Stealing this ship was not on the agenda.

 

 Brandy helped me jump down into an escape pod which had two seats and was shaped like an egg. Inside the pod there were controls for navigation in front of the seats. The escape pod had a window that stretched across half the pod giving a full view of the stars. The pod launched off the side of the ship. The coordinates of my target far to the left of where I was.

The escape pod had gravity, which I was thankful for. I was not floating when the pod left the ship. Still, I was sitting in a small space. The small pod barely large enough for two people was even smaller than the cube I had been imprisoned in. I took a deep breath trying to remind myself that I wasn’t staying in the pod much longer - even if it was just a lie. To think that my prey sent me on a mission to go capture a captain. Like a dog playing fetch and now I have to endure this enclosed space. I could feel the walls closing in around me. My breaths became erratic and quick. I tried to remind myself that this trip wasn’t going to last that long - even if it was a lie. No, it’s the truth. This small space is not that small. I can see all of space, just like in my cube. 

 When my escape pod finally made it to the ship, they locked onto me and pulled the pod into the docking bay. There were security guards that escorted me from the docking bay to a small room. I was held in the small room while some of the guards went into my escape pod to check for weapons. I almost wanted to laugh; I am the weapon. I decided not to attack everyone because I wanted to keep the element of surprise for as long as possible. A security officer addressed me, “Why were you in an escape pod?” His blue eyes looked me over.

“My ship was attacked by rebels. I barely managed to get away. Thank you for allowing me on your ship.” Believe me human.

“What was the name of your ship?” He stroked his copper beard.

I took a gamble and said, “The USJP. I was the wife of an officer.” I choked up and brought my hands to my face. Real tears fell easily from my eyes. “Do you have a tissue for me?” The officer nodded and left the room. I checked outside after he left. There were no security guards left in the vicinity.

There was a terminal in the room that I used to call up a map of the ship and found the bridge. I made my way quietly to the bridge. There was a door to the bridge that was locked. As a result, I waited outside the bridge. When a security guard noticed me and asked what I was doing there I said, "I have urgent news for the captain."

"Why don't you tell me the news and I'll pass it along." The guard said with arms crossed.

I said, "It's the kind of news you give in person. There are going to be follow up questions."

The guard leaned forward, "Tell me and I'll come get you if the captain wants more details."

Seeing that there was no alternative I spoke, “There’s a rebel ship coming after us."

"Oh, and how do you know that?" The guards' arms were crossed.

"I overheard the plan at a bar in the space station." Believe me.

"Alright I will pass the information along." The guard left and a few minutes later I was invited to the bridge. The captain was a tall slender woman with black fur and golden eyes. She was a member of the Saring race, her cat-like eyes took me in. Her cat ears faced forward.

"You said the rebels will attack and this was discussed in a bar. Why didn't you report the rebels then and there?"

"The people talking about it weren't rebels."

"Still, they had information about the rebels. You should have reported what you heard. I'm not worried about a few rebels. My ship can handle whatever comes my way." The captain shifted her attention to some readouts. "You're dismissed."

Instead of leaving I stayed on the bridge. I had to take down security first. I ran up to the guard who passed along my message and knocked him out. I dodged the next attack from an officer of the bridge. I knocked her out too. A crew member grabbed me from behind and held me in an arm lock. I struggled against the hold. His muscles had muscles and I had trouble resisting. I stepped on his instep and elbowed him. Before flipping him on his back. He tried to get up and I kicked his head. He passed out unconscious on the floor. I ran super-fast and took out the rest of the crew by hitting their heads. The captain was the only person left standing. I knocked the wrist com off her wrist preventing her from summoning back up.

"You're going to come with me quietly." I said hissing. The captain laughed.

"You think I'll go with you? Absolutely not."

"Okay we can do this the hard way." I ran up to her and snapped her finger. A yowl released from her lips.

"I can keep breaking your bones until you submit."

"I don't care." She lied. I snapped another finger. Her scream of pain was even louder than the last. I snapped the next finger and she howled in pain.

"Okay, I submit."

“This is what you’re going to do. You’re going to make an announcement that there is a radiation leak next to the docking bay. You’re going to evacuate the area surrounding the docking bay and shut down the ship’s computer for repairs. Then we are going to walk there together and take your fastest shuttle out.”

“Oh really, I’m going to do all of that for you?”

“Yes, you are, Leona, because if you’ve heard of the USJP - I single handedly brought that ship down. I am capable of killing an entire crew by myself. I’m Ela Suryava, you must have heard of me? You must know I’m capable of killing all life on board this ship. Test me Saring, test me and you can watch it all fall apart.”

Leona’s eyes dilated and she looked away, her ears flattening on her head, “Alright I’ll do it.” Leona did as instructed, her tail swishing violently from side to side in frustration.

 I took a hold of her arm and led her out of the bridge. I let go walking next to her. "You will follow me to the shuttle. If you tell anyone you're my hostage I will break more of your bones and incapacitate whatever personnel help you.” Together we walked and nobody stopped us. Until the captain winked at a security guard who pulled out their gun. "Wrong choice," I said before I knocked the guard unconscious with my super speed. I snapped another of the captain's fingers. She yowled again. When someone else came into the hall to investigate. The captain herself said everything was alright. Without any further delays we made it to the shuttle. I strapped the captain in first then I placed a blindfold on her. The shuttle was spacious with a bathroom, kitchenette, and a large window so you could see the expanse of space. I took the seat opposite Leona and directed the shuttle to go back towards the Lancet. The shuttle didn’t have the ability to use an HQ drive so the trip would be a long one.

Eventually another ship came into proximity of the shuttle.

"Hello this is the Blue Runner. Did you need assistance? You’re pretty far out from any ships to just be riding through space in a shuttle."

The captain screamed yes but the com line was not on yet. "No, we do not need assistance. We are headed to our ship." I said with force. The Blue Runner went by without stopping and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"That was my one chance to get away from you." The captain said forlorn.

"You should be thanking me. I'm the reason you're not dead instead of a hostage." The captain said nothing in response for a long while. Then she laughed to herself, “You’re a rebel yourself, aren’t you?”

“I’m working for them.” I said separating myself from their political struggle.

“If it smells like a fish and looks like a fish - it’s eaten.”

“What does that mean?” I asked confused.

“You’re a tool, you just don’t realize it yet. Not that I’m not impressed by your accomplishments. After all, you do have an amazing ability to take down an entire ship on your own.” The captain smiled showing her fangs.

“I don’t like being told who I am, especially not by tasty prisoners.” I ran a finger down the side of Leona’s face. She hissed.

“I’m not the taste you’re looking for. Cats taste terrible. What are you looking for?”

“I’m looking for freedom to live and do as I please. But we both know that’s not possible with my list of crimes.”

 “It’s amazing what having the right connections can do for you. There are certain members of the navy who can make criminal records disappear. If you’re not a rebel, then perhaps you would like to join the Federalists?”

“You’re kidding me, with everything I’ve done I’m lucky the Federalists don’t kill me once they catch me.”

“Not necessarily, I’m famous and hold sway with a lot of the higher ups. I could get you a pardon and make you a military asset, so you still get to slake your thirst for blood. If I walk out of this scenario alive, consider your record gone.”

I didn’t know how to respond to Leona. Never in a million years did I think I would get that kind of offer. To restart my life under the protection of the government. Able to live freely and do as I please, within reason of course.

“So, what are you offering besides a pardon?” I asked for clarity.

“Like I said you could be a military asset. We’d use your skills for the war with the rebels. You might even get a commission as a soldier of the federalists. You will get paid for your work and get all the benefits a regular officer gets.”

“The rebels already offered me a pardon should they win. I’m certain it’s a matter of time before I’m made a member of the rebel force officially. What else can you offer me?”

“What do you want?” Leona tilted her head.

“Blood donors whenever I want, money so I can travel to different worlds, and I deserve a large payout for the services I render.”

Leona smiled, “Payment would be easy to obtain. Possibly in the millions to catch one ship.”

“I would think it would be in the billions.” I said.

“Perhaps, as for the blood we can get donors for you around the clock.”

“I’ll have to think about your offer.” I said ready to jump on the opportunity but keeping myself calm.

“Well while you think, consider this, what if you took out the ship we’re headed to? Killed everyone on board. Then the Federalists would offer you a huge payout, possibly worth a billion credits.” Leona smirked.

I found her offer tempting. Yes, I made a vow not to murder anyone, but for that kind of money it’s hard to pass up. The only problem, the only thing that made me squeamish was the thought that Brandy was on that damn ship. Brandy would get hurt. I would betray her trust. I can handle betraying the crew. None of them show me any care. I’m an asset that’s being used, but Brandy, she is different. Leona threatened Brandy’s life. She wants to take that life. Unacceptable. I unbuckled myself and rushed at Leona, “Watch yourself, that’s my crew you’re talking about.” There was no way I’d admit it’s Brandy I care for. I hissed debating whether I should go for Leona’s jugular right then and there. She was wanted dead right? I didn’t have to deliver this package. But I made a vow to the gods so I backed off. I crossed my arms and told myself that the world was right, nothing could get to me, and my anger was a temporary thing ready to fly away.

  When we docked to the Lancet the captain requested I remove her blindfold. I denied her request. The captain's ears flattened on her head in frustration. I escorted the Saring onto the ship. Brandy arrived with more guards than usual and had the captain cuffed.

"You won't get away with this." Leona said, her tail whipping in anger.

"We already did." Brandy said gently. She put her hand on the captain's back. "Alright Leona straight to the brig for you." Leona hissed, her tail swaying. Brandy ignored her and continued pushing her towards the brig. I followed them and noticed my cell was empty. Leona was put in my cell.

"This cell reeks of the vampire." Leona said before sitting down. Her blindfold was still on. Although Leona could ID people by scent, Brandy left the blindfold on. Brandy and I walked away from the brig. Brandy showed me to a room that was empty save for a bed.

"This is your new room." Brandy said with a hint of pleasure.

I smiled, flashing my canines, "Thank you for the room." The room had large windows where I could see the stars at all times. I debated covering the windows to avoid having space stare back at me. The walls were gray metal and the bedding gray as well. The bed looked comfortable, but I dared not sit on it with Brandy present. The space was too big for the small number of items. There was one dresser that I guessed would be empty. I walked up to it and found rebel uniforms stashed inside. One of them was a Federalist uniform.

“That’s for if you want to infiltrate their ranks,” Brandy commented from behind me. I could almost feel her breath on my neck. I turned around to face Brandy. Her smile was half quirked as if she was amused. “The others are for you to wear around here. Seeing as you’re a member of the crew and all. You have the naval specialist rank if you accept it, Ela. It comes with pay, benefits, medical care, and life insurance.”

I couldn’t believe the prey would recognize me as one of their own. I felt a sense of belonging I didn’t expect, the room suddenly felt bigger.

“Yes Brandy, I accept.” And just like that I became a rebel. Captain Sansona’s offer still hovered at the back of my mind. Still, I could be with Brandy if I remained a rebel. The decision wasn’t hard to make.

7