Chapter 54 “Duty Calls”
716 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

William had been living his days as usual for the last few days. He is either reading books or practicing until he is completely proficient in his new shapeshifting ability.

Since there haven't been many advancements other than lengthening his shapeshifting power's duration for a few seconds, which was still a minor and straightforward adjustment to his physiology, it might take him some time.

The length of time he could control the form decreased the more he attempted to transform it into something more complex. Instead of first constructing a complex shape, he concentrated on getting a longer duration.

Reading books given weekly by the Foundation was his only source of entertainment, though the Foundation needed to check its content first before getting approval that it was safe for him to use.

Just as he was reading, someone opened his door cell and walked into the room. William looked at who that might be, but it was none other than Dr. Erik himself visited him at this time.

"Good Afternoon, Alpha One. I hope I don't ruin your moment." said Dr. Erik with his hand behind the back.

William looked at him and went back to reading, "Nah, it's okay. I don't have anything else to do besides spending my time reading and wandering like usual. It's good to have someone to visit once in a while."

Dr. Erik looked at him for a while and said, "Indeed, but with the latest news coming for you, I guess that we wouldn't be meeting again in a short while."

Hearing this, William paused his reading for a moment and looked at him, "What do you mean by that? Both of us won't see each other again?"

"It's not like the end of our journey. We could still meet again on some occasions or when I have the time to visit you." Dr. Erik replied.

William was completely confused by the news, "But why?"

"The Site-19's External Affairs had contacted us that both you and Captain Grace are going to be transferred to a new site. Where both of you could stay and perform duties given by the Foundation." answered Dr. Erik.

Seeing his response, William's eyes narrowed, "Wait, don't tell me."

Dr. Erik smiled for a moment and said, "Exactly, Secretary Noah had given the news regarding the continuation of the new Mobile Task Force program."

He gave William a letter that was sent by Noah personally to inform William regarding his recruitment to the Pandora's Box Mobile Task Force division.

He continued, "Both you and Captain Grace will be stationed at Site-19, where there will be the main operational base for the new Mobile Task Force. With that, I congratulate both of you on the news."

—-

Site-19 is the world's biggest and most important operational Foundation facility in existence. There were hundreds of anomalies held at that location, some of which ranged in class from Safe to Keter and required a separate structure to contain them because there were so many of them.

Not only limited to containing anomalies with varying classes, it even has its own dedicated facility to store anomalous items that don't require any special containment procedures to be tested upon.

Their first concern is enhancing security to prevent containment breaches and danger brought on by SCPs or outside parties, given the number of SCPs contained within site.

Regarding logistics, power, and effort to contain all anomalies globally, it may be claimed that Site-19 is one of the SCP Foundation sites that plays the largest role in containing anomalies.

—-

His acceptance into the Pandora's Box Mobile Task Force division, where he will be completing more field missions, was exciting news. He will have more opportunities to work with the Foundation as an SCP.

In addition to that, he was eager to encounter the fresh faces of his own workplace associates at Site-19 and Pandora's Box. Getting to know more new people, such as the renowned doctors of Site-19 or SCPs who will work with him.

William read the letter that was given to him while Dr. Erik looked at him for a moment, "Secretary Noah told us that The Head Project of Pandora's Box himself called both of you to be stationed at Site-19 immediately."

William looked at him, "Wait. Like, right now?"

Dr. Erik nodded, "Secretary Noah told us that he had prepared transportation for both of you. Of course, you will be under Captain Grace's supervision the whole time you serve at the Pandora's Box later."

"Alright, what are we waiting for?" William stood up from his bed, excited about his new place.

Dr. Erik looked at him for a moment, "Captain Grace will be waiting for you outside. She will lead you to the transportation and everything you need later to arrive there."

Both of them looked at each other. They had gone through a lot over the past few weeks. Starting from their first interrogation meeting, the containment breach, and so on. Now, they had to part ways.

"Thank you, doc. I don't really know what to say." said William while scratching his head in a low voice.

Dr. Erik chuckled for a moment, "Don't mention it. I'm just doing what is my work here in the Foundation. Now get out of there and don't let anyone down with your performance later."

William nodded, made his bed, and then went directly to the door of his cell. He was looking for Grace so they could get everything ready for when they moved into Site-19. Dr. Erik then left William's cell and went straight to the main lobby.

The Site Director's Office at Site-199.

Director Stanford can be seen typing and scrolling through the documents on his laptop screen, containing several confidential information regarding things and events happening at the Foundation.

There was a knock on the door. Director Stanford answered, "Come in."

Dr. Erik can be seen entering through the office. Director Stanford looked as if he had expected his arrival in the office. He continued to scroll through the documents on the laptop's screen.

"Alpha One had informed regarding his transfer to Site-19. He's on his way with Captain Grace now regarding the call from General Bowe." said Dr. Erik.

Director Stanford didn't look at him, "Good. Another job is done for the day."

There was a slight of doubt within Dr. Erik regarding the whole situation. He felt a bit unease with the situation at the moment.

"Will he be okay? Is recommending Alpha One and Captain Grace to General Bowe for his project considered to be the right choice for this matter?" Dr. Erik reluctantly asked.

"As long she is there, it should be fine." Director Stanford stopped his scrolling for a moment, "You have been promoted to the position of Head of Experiments on this site. I think it won't hurt much, but I'll tell you this personally."

Dr. Erik was confused about what Director Stanford meant and asked, "Something's wrong about it?"

"General Bowe was one of the Head General for projects in the Foundation. Creating a new Mobile Task Force division using SCPs as their main source of power could be considered as ridiculous given the risk they had to take." Director Stanford replied.

He then continued, "With that in mind, it won't be so easy for General Bowe himself to get a green light from those guys. But they let this motion pass because they probably had a good reason for it."

Dr. Erik's eyebrows raised, "And that is?"

Director Stanford looked at Dr. Erik in the eye, "The O5 Council themselves approved the creation of Pandora's Box with General Bowe in charge. In addition, they had requested all of the information specifically for Alpha One at that moment."

22