Chapter 67 “Bidding Wars”
364 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several auction staff started to pull out a box that contained an old and rustic spear, and the white screen showed an image of the spear. The guests were in awe after all of them saw the next item to be auctioned. 

"We have a special and antique weapon that was found in North America. While its exact origin and story are unknown, research has shown that it was made and used by an ancient Northern American civilization about 5.000 years ago!" said the host.

William noticed Elena's eyes were fixed on the item as she listened to the explanation for the next item up for auction. Which strongly suggests that it's what she's been pursuing the entire time.

He was puzzled as to why she was pursuing the spear in the first place. Even though she might just be an ordinary item collector like the rest, her tone when she said that she was going for it was different from the others. 

Elena's hands were clenched tightly on the auction paddles the entire time while her eyes were riveted on the spear. She was genuinely going after the spear against the other guests.

"The base price starts at 100.000$, with 10.000$ added to the bid for each call." As the auction was about to start, the host explained, "Are we all clear enough regarding this item's auction?"

William looked at Elena who was ready to make a call, "So, that's what you're after? An old spear from some random civilization era?"

"It wasn't just any spear," replied Elena as her eyes fixated on the host, "You wouldn't understand how crucial that is if it falls into the wrong hand."

He leaned on his seat, "I wouldn't know it if you hadn't told me about it. If it's really what you think it is, then I might have the same opinion as you."

"If you knew about it, there's also a possibility of you telling about it to the Foundation." she replied coldly.

William argued, "The Foundation's purpose has always been to protect humanity itself. If what you feared might come true, then the only way to stop them is the Foundation." 

He continued, "If we are really going to use it for our own benefit, wouldn't that be against the law of normalcy itself? Against our purpose itself? Then there's nothing to worry about."

"Besides," William folded his leg, "If things go out of control, you'll be facing it alone. It would be a different result if you told the Foundation regarding the spear and prevented it from going to happen."

Elena remained fixated on the spear that was displayed on the big screen without making any sort of comment. William believed that she had again shut down in order to avoid further argument.

"Have you ever seen the true colors of the people from the Foundation yet? The amount of manipulative, evil, and deceiving people that are in that organization?" she asked.

Since he had just arrived in this world and at the Foundation, William was a little taken aback by this question. He had never encountered anyone who would treat him harshly despite being an SCP.

He joined the Pandora's Box Mobile Task Force because he was cooperative with the Foundation in the hope that it would benefit him in the future. The only time a researcher didn't like him was the only occasion he received unfavorable treatment from the Foundation.

This really begs the issue for him: Was it really just because he had shown good behavior that he was treated the way he was in the Foundation? Or had someone actually just manipulated him to gain favor with the Foundation?

He was unsure about this question as he wasn't in the Foundation for a long time. What he sees may just be the surface level of it. There was no doubt that there were people in the higher ranks who would do that kind of thing. 

"I can't say about that at the moment, as my knowledge regarding the Foundation is currently limited since I just joined them a couple of months ago." William answered. 

"Then you don't know the full extent of their true intention." replied Elena.

William looked at her, "Is that why you don't want to let the Foundation know about it?"

"Mostly, yeah. There is a little bit of bad in the good." said Elena.

Both of them looked at the host as he was about to start the auction. Everyone was ready to make a call and place their bid.

"And the auction begins!"

Several people had already made a call to place their bids one by one, increasing the price of the spear as the auction went on. 

"150 on number 49, 160 by Mr. 29, 170 was called by 33, 180 by 97." Shouted the host as he was pointing at the guests that were calling their bids.

Elena raised her paddle and shouted, "250!" 

"Woah! We got a 250 grand called by the mistress in number 17! Anyone brave enough to go beyond the lady's price?" asked the host.

"270!" 

"280."

"290!"

Elena raised her hand again and shouted, "350!" 

"500." said the man on the back row nonchalantly as he raised his auction paddle. 

Both William and Elena looked in the direction of the voice. They saw a small and short Asian man guarded by two of his bodyguards next to him. He gave a smirk to Elena as she was looking at him.

"Let's up the ante for a while, shall we?"

Seeing this, Elena looked back at the stage and raised her hand again, "550!"

"600."

Elena shouted again, "650!"

"750." 

"800!"

"One million." said the Asian man with confidence. 

A bid battle was happening between Elena and the Asian man over the ancient spear. The guests were shocked to see both sides fighting over the item that was being auctioned. 

Elena gritted her teeth as she was a bit devastated that the price had gone up astronomically. She didn't trust anyone in the auction, especially the guests that were set up by Marshal, Carter, and Dark. A group that was notoriously known to be manipulative in their political game. 

She knew that she had to keep on going getting the spear if she truly wanted to keep it safe in her own hands. She was considering it since it would cost her a lot of money just to get that spear. 

"What's wrong, missy? We can do this all night long if you want." said the Asian man smugly at her.

She hesitated for a moment and pondered the possibilities of the outcome if she made a choice to get it at the cost of a lot of money or let it go to the hands of an unknown person.

The hosts asked her, "Giving up on the bid, my lady?"

Before making the decision that could have gone in one of two directions—and neither of which was likely to turn out particularly well—Elena took a moment to look at the host while clenching her fist.

"It's a wrap! A whopping 4.1 million dollars was the highest bid of this auction session and won by the lady with Number 17!" said the host energetically as he knocked on the hammer three times.

"Jesus fucking Christ, 4.1 million?" William looked at her in shock, "How in the world do you have that much money?"

"I don't want to talk about it. All I know is that I got what I want, and it's safe for now, " Elena said as she was shaking how much money she needed to spend on the spear. 

11