Chapter 13 – Skill planning session
3.9k 25 190
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After they had returned to the orphanage and taken their catch to the kitchen, the pair headed out to the field outside for some practice. A few kids came to loiter about and watch, but Mireille chased them away. She seemed to be a bit of an authority figure, as the kids didn’t approach again.

“So, how exactly does a [Maid] fight?" Mireille asked, arms crossed. "If you’re going to run off and be a hunter, you have to have plans for dealing with all sorts of monsters.” Fayette suspected she was doing her best impression of some of the stricter orphanage caretakers while they were giving lessons.

It was rather cute, really. I guess I'll humor her a bit.

“Well, I’ve got my [Sweep Dust] skill, surprisingly effective actually. I did manage to get one kobold with it.” Fayette wanted to demonstrate, so she set her broom on the ground and activated the skill. “Alright, watch this.”

Fayette swept the broom back and forth on the dry ground, sending a nice cloud of dust flying. Mireille stared blankly. Oh, right, that didn't look too impressive I guess...

“Um, that was not all of course. It’s at rank 3, so I can do a bit more. If I really push on the skill...”

Fayette concentrated, charging up the [Sweep Dust] instead of releasing it immediately. Dust from the ground began to be pulled to the broom, resulting in a roiling mass gathering around it. Judging the dust cloud to be sufficient, Fayette finished the skill with a whisk of her broom, sending the dust cloud flying forward.

She stood back with just a hint of pride. “Now, that is useful in a fight! Puts the skill on a bit of a cooldown, but it is worth it.”

Mireille however still did not seem too impressed. “So, there’s weapon number one for you—throwing some dust at the enemy. Good for a distraction I suppose.”

Fayette glared. Underestimating a [Maid] are you? She waited for just a few seconds, then flicked a [Sweep Dust] at the [Seamstress].

Surprised, Mireille went into a coughing fit as dust got all over her eyes and mouth, and Fayette walked forward, pinching her by the ear.

"Ow, ow, stop! Fine, I get it!"

Fayette smiled, then helped brush the rest of the dust off. "As long as you understand. It would have been quite easy to broom you on the head there, you know."

Mireille took a step back, trying to regain her strict [Caretaker] aura, but it was rather diminished. "Alright then, I'll admit that one does work. What else do you have?"

The [Maid] nodded. “I’ve got [Cutlery Control], which also helped me take out a kobold. Watch this!”

She picked up a few forks and knives from her [Apron of Holding] and proceeded to throw them at a nearby tree using [Cutlery Control]. They moved accurately right where she was aiming, but only one managed to pierce through the bark; most just bounced off wholesale.

Mireille’s voice remained skeptic. “So, your next combat technique is throwing some kitchenware? How exactly did you kill so many kobolds with skills like these?”

Fayette glared again, and Mireille flinched back, covering her eyes. "Ok, maybe those are good too!"

The [Maid] sighed, then had to slump a bit. To be honest, her knives really weren't that powerful. Mostly just accurate. “No, you might be right. Most of the time I either distracted them with something like that and then whacked them dead with my broom, or I used my special cleaning agents...”

“Your alchemy skills are definitely nothing to sneeze at, that is true. Besides, you have to have some fighting instincts and strength behind you—no ordinary girl with a broom could batter foes down like that,” the [Seamstress] said, face scrunched up in thought. “Still, how much do you have left in alchemy supplies? I imagine you used up quite a bit.”

“Well... I can get the stuff needed for more [All-Purpose Cleaner] pretty easily, but I can’t really use that gas reaction thing anymore—I used all of that shiny stone I had. I’m not sure I can find more of that.”

A suspicious eye turned to Fayette. “How did you find that original piece? It clearly wasn't anything ordinary.”

The [Maid] began fidgeting. “Well, you know how nobility are. [Mages] are always carrying around weird stuff, and sometimes they drop that weird stuff while passed out at a party, and don’t come to collect later. Surely, it’s not wrong of me to collect them?”

“Fay, are you sure that’s how proper [Maid] etiquette works? I thought you were very particular about that kind of thing. You practically confessed to robbery!”

“No, it’s no such thing! He didn’t come back looking, so he probably didn’t even miss it much. It's just safekeeping really. Look, let’s just get back to the battle training. This is battle training, right? I also have [Maid’s Poise] which helps me stay balanced, and [Cleaning Tool Proficiency].” She twirled her broom in one hand. “That skill is why I’m fighting with a broom, I can’t handle a sword after all.”

Mireille nodded. “Good thinking. You should probably max out both of those skills—they sound like solid combat options and could upgrade to something good when you class up.”

“Hmm, that’s true. They are both at rank three anyways, so it wouldn’t take much. I’ve got one skill point free right now, should I put it in?”

Mireille nodded. “If you just keep it around, it does give some flexibility to situations. But using points earlier lets you get used to them better.”

Fayette nodded, and focused for a moment.

[Skill up: Cleaning Tool Proficiency has reached rank IV!]

She twirled the broom around in her hand, and it felt even easier than before. She wouldn’t be losing her grip lightly. “Alright, done. Did you have anything else in mind?”

Mireille thought for a moment. “You got to level 10, right? Do you have any plans for your new general skill slot?”

Fayette nodded. “Yeah, I’ve been thinking on getting something combat oriented for it, but I haven’t really been able to choose. I like having it open as an option to be honest.”

“I’ve been keeping my general skills at rank 1 so I can try them out while having the option to swap them out easily. Maybe you should do something similar?”

“What kind of skill do you think I should pick?”

“Well, if you want to be flexible, maybe something to help avoid surprises? Can't really react if you get ambushed. Staying alive is always the number one priority, and surprises can be nasty. Do you have anything like that available?”

Fayette closed her eyes and focused “Just a moment, I’ll check.”

She thought of getting a new general skill, and instantly her mind was filled with the options she had unlocked.

[Free skill slot available! Listing options:]

[...]

[Cutting Board]

[Dallying About]

[Dancing Proficiency]

[Dangersense]

[Darkvision (Lesser)]

[Determined Will]

[...]

Fayette’s mind was filled with options, but she focused on the one that looked very appropriate. This should do just fine... She thought of taking it.

[You have gained a new skill: Dangersense!]

[Dangersense – The world is full of danger, but with this new skill you can sense it coming! Get forewarning on attacks, traps and other dangers outside of your notice. Noticing ambushes has never been easier!]

“Alright... I took something just now. [Dangersense].” Fayette said as she opened her eyes. “Though I don’t feel any different.”

Suddenly Mireille threw a needle right at Fayette’s face, and the [Maid] felt a new kind of alarm go through her. She moved her head out of the way just in time, though the needle did stop mid-air, a good distance before it would have hit anything.

“Seems to be working fine.” Mireille said as she called the needle back into her hand.

Fayette took some deep breaths to calm herself from the sudden shock. “Hey! Don’t scare me like that!”

The [Seamstress] raised an eyebrow. “You wanted to see if it was working, didn’t you? Now we know. I don’t think it would have worked if I had warned you in advance.”

Fayette knew the woman wasn’t lying, but still felt a tad bitter about it. She gave her a proper mean glare as words didn’t seem to work. "That was for the dust-in-the-face, wasn't it?"

Mireille did look a bit apologetic. “Well, maybe a bit. Sorry. Let’s move on then. Didn’t you also have one other new skill? Some charm type thing?”

Fayette nodded. “Well, yes. [Disarming Smile]. I’m not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Not really the type of skill I generally use. It should ease people’s hearts or something like that.”

“Hey, don’t neglect such a useful sounding skill. If you don’t use it and don't put skill points in it, it might change into something else.” Mireille tapped her head thoughtfully. “Let’s have you use it while reserving inns and the sort. We could get some discounts.”

Fayette paused for a moment as her thoughts churned. “Wait, we’re going together?”

Mireille looked at the [Maid] for a good few seconds, completely stunned. “What, you were planning some sort of expedition of your own? I need go to Palogne to look for a job, you need to go there to register as a hunter. Of course we’re going together.”

Oh, right. The closest hunter’s guild is over there. Where exactly was I planning to go? Well, more importantly—

Fayette rushed to embrace the [Seamstress] in a crushing embrace. “You’re coming with me!”

“No, stop. Let me go! You’ve got it the wrong way—I’m not coming with you; you are coming with me.” The [Seamstress] corrected as she struggled away.

That confused Fayette enough to release her. “Wait, there’s a difference?”

“Of course there’s a difference. You haven’t planned for this at all, have you? I have. I’ve already sent word that we’ll be going with the next grain shipment blimp. It’ll be leaving in two days.”

“Ah, true. Going with the blimp is the smart move.”

“Don’t tell me you were planning on walking the whole way?”

Fayette stayed silent for a few seconds. “—No?”

I wasn't really thinking of anything yet... Thought I could take a few more days off.

The look Mireille gave her was not one of respect. “Will you really be fine as a hunter?”

Fayette crossed her arms. “I’ve been to the city plenty of times; you’re the one who has never left this place!”

The argument went on for quite a while, but it was not a serious argument. Fayette was feeling happy—she had gained a traveling companion!

Walking the forest path all alone would have been so troublesome...

 

New Party Member acquired!

Mireille

Class: [Seamstress (Tier 1)]

Level: 7

Skills:

Needlecraft (2/4)

  • [Quick Stitch] - Rank II
  • [Needle Control] - Rank IV

Tailoring (3/4)

  • [Adjust Garments] - Rank II
  • [Mend] - Rank I
  • [Take Measurements] - Rank I

Capstone skills (0/0)

  • N/A

Free skills (2/2)

  • [Basic Trap-setting] - Rank I
  • [Lesser Enhanced Endurance] - Rank I

Unspent Skill Points: 1

190