A Fairy Tale of Night and Day – Anon2021
301 28 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Fairy Tale of Night and Day

by Anon2021

Content enticements/warnings:

Spoiler

Mythological/Fantasy, Theatrical

[collapse]

🌃

A beautiful man walked upon the lake in the middle of the night with the clear sky and stars shining bright. The man was not a normal man, but a man with silver hair and light tan. One might ask how this man might be described, but beauty from his face bled down to his hide.

His name was Beluno the White, with his long silver hair flowing down the shoulder to his right. Glowing eyes glistened on his face as he walked softly on a lake, slowly treading for the blobbery fish’s sake. He longed for the sunny days where he would be with the one he could love, a great and handsome man of which others saw stand above.

To this end before he his mind would bend, he went to visit his mother in her grove, for the all light of day remained away, even if he ran and drove.

Beluno: “Mother, I ask, please grant me freedom as a dove, to see him whom I love. I beg of you for my heart is longing, and the tears cannot be held back against that needed belonging.”

The moon Goddess Luna the Silver looked upon her son. She placed her white silk hands upon his face, and kissed his forehead in slight haste. Beluno was not a warrior that was strong, nor was he a schemer that sang songs. He was a dreamer of the world at rest, and helped all mortals sleep their best.

Luna: “My precious son, my lovely son. Your mother cannot see the day, nor can the night where I walk go away. If you leave then I will not see you. If you leave then I cannot feel you. The Terse Believer has cursed me and me alone, and without you I have no place to call home. It breaks my heart when it is ‘no’ I must say when him you love is in the day. If you go to him I will be sad, as I gave birth to you without your dad.”

Beluno’s love was Soluna. The warrior of the sun, a man with golden colored hair all tied in a bun. A man who stood as his foil, with strength he could not have even with toil.

Luna: “I am sorry my son, but if I cannot go with you then I cannot let you go. Sola the Gold is not bound to the day as I am bound to night in this way. She is the light that cannot enter the night. Without the sun for that allows for visual sharpness, all the mortals would die in darkness.”

Beluno: “But mother, there are still the stars in the sky. Without your light the stars will not shy.”

Luna: “My son, my son. If I could leave the night I would enjoy the sunny days and dress you with new sleeves, but I was cursed by the Terse Believer and cannot leave.”

The night was ending and the rhyming slowed. The sun was rising while the farmers sowed.

Beluno did not argue further with his mother. His heart ached but his mind understood no solution was near. He walked once more upon the lake while dawn arrived. It was the only time he could see his lover before he had to leave with night.

Soluna was a taller man with broad shoulders and golden hair. His fiery orange eyes hid behind the golden curls of which some fell across his face but mostly to his left shoulder. His head looked as though it was lit with a burning flame as bright as daylight.

He saw Beluno, the prince of the night. The graceful figure entered his sight and for a last moment before the shine, he found there was only this last rhyme.

Soluna: “Beluno my love, have you asked your mother permission to come to the night?”

A soft breath escaped Beluno’s mouth as he spoke in saddened verses.

Beluno: “I have asked, but my mother could not allow me. Loneliness would drown her. The night is a time when the world sleeps and she mustn’t be the only awake.”

Soluna: “Beluno, my Beluno, do not cry. If you cannot come to the day then I shall ask my mother for a place in the night. First I will hunt and eat and will see my mother at midday. Do not cry for it will cause me anguish.”

Beluno: “Then I shall not cry, I shall wait and for your news while my eyes remain dry.”

There was a barrier between the day and night and neither could reach the other side. Without blessings from the goddesses of light and dark, it was between sunny days and starry nights that marked the void which pushed them apart.

Soluna nodded reaching his hand out, but could not touch the slender Beluno. The golden haired man clenched his fist as the night disappeared and the day became bright.

He took out his bow and walked into the forest. He hunted in the morning and skinned his game. He ate every morsel of meat from the bones, and then he trudged upon the ground leaving deep footprints into the dirt over every blade of grass unlucky to be in his path.

Sola the Golden sat upon a sky lit throne, listening to every song under her zone. She looked near, then looked far. Everywhere that there was light, was everywhere her gaze made bright.

Soluna walked up the sky to her throne. He knelt below her presence alone.

Soluna: “Mother, my lover is in the night. I wish to be with him without light. I want to trade my sunny days for starry skies. Mother, will you grant me this wish, or will you make me catch you a fish named tish?”

Sola: “You are rhyming again my son, you spent too much time with that boy at twilight. It is not that I dislike your rhyme but you cannot go into the night because your light would make it bright. You are the son of the sun. If you go into night, the night would cease and only perpetual daylight will remain. You cannot go because mortals who need light also need darkness.”

Soluna edged his mind once more, sharpened his senses and tried to think. If he could not go to the night then there must be a way to bring Beluno and Luna to the day. The curse was known but could it be broken? The question lingered in his mind.

Sola: “My son, there is a way, but you must remember you will be the sun of day. Meet beloved Beluno on a date, and then have him take the Trial of Balance and Fate. Fail and he dies, but live and he will never need lies. You will become the Sun and Beluno the Moon, but a Moon that is free to roam and zoom.”

Sola hugged Soluna and gave him the place where the trial could be traced. As the day went on, sunset came and Beluno was again distanced the same.

Soluna: “Beluno my love, I cannot come, for light might dispel the needed night. I am the son of the sun. If I go the mortals may never have rest, perhaps apart from each other is best.”

Beluno: “Soluna… is… there no way… is there no way?”

Fearful of a fated death, Soluna took a deep breath.

Soluna: “There is a way, but you may die. It may be best we remain shy. To succeed you will be the moon and I the sun, and my hair will no longer be tied in a bun.”

Beluno: “I… I don’t want to be trapped in a night cage as time flies by every age! Many say I am gentle and soft, but now I need to face fear and scoff.”

Soluna: “What of your mother? What if you die? Would she not then weep and cry?”

Beluno was silent. The consequences were for failure were dire.

Beluno: “My mother was cursed by the Terse Believer, forever in night while none relieve her. As her son I must try, against the curse I will pry.”

Soluna: “My love I am brave, if it could be me your mother I would be save, but to relieve the curse my sword cannot wave. I do not wish to lose you even if I cannot touch you.”

Beluno took the directions on the map and set off at dusk to his fate. At the temple he looked from afar. He journeyed on and reached the gates as it was there he would seal his fate. Become the moon or face his doom.

He entered the gates and walked slowly forward trembling, still his will would not be bending. The darkness of night occluded his sight and the caused his muscles to remain tight. The lack of light pushed on his plight while he took a step with the foot on his right.

At the end of the path he found a bath. A man stood before him as he felt a waft. The Terse Believer was in the bath, smiling all while blocking his path.

Terse Believer: “I see you have come, Beluno my son. You seek to end the curse on your mum. Oh Beluno, Beluno, my dear boy Beluno… do you not know why it is night in which the moon hides? It’s for the oceans and the tides. Move too quickly and it goes out of balance, move too slowly and there is no calm. The curse was not to harm or make worse, it was simply a measure against a life’s verse.”

The Terse Believer waved his hand, and clothings then covered his entire man.

Terse Believer: “I know you love the boy of the sun, but even then it cannot be done. If the moon doesn’t balance the tides of the earth, then it would lose all of its worth. It is a choice of cursed stagnance or a choice of a constant balance. If you should fail, you will die. ”

Beluno stared at the Terse Believer, still unsure if his heart would waver. Determine to free his mother of the curse, he demanded that he could know the balance curse.

Beluno: “Tell me then father, if you are my father. What is the curse of balance?”

Terse Believer: “While sunny days will be constant plays, the starry night will come once a fortnight. The moon can share the sun in the day, but the balance requires a night of lonely sway. Make sure to return and break from the sun, or you will burn and have no fun.”

Beluno: “Is this the trial of Balance and Fate? Where I must always keep track of the date?”

The Terse Believer nodded with smile, as he would not see his son for awhile.

Terse Believer: “You have made your mind, and I will be kind. Please live son, for you are one of mine.”

Beluno: “I will father. I will.”

The curse was removed and the title changed. The Moon was now Beluno and Luna was pained. First she wavered and grew faint, but then she accepted and remained quaint.

To his love Beluno paced, to Soluna their arms would then embrace. The world in day had an eclipse, which caused mortals to gasp from their lips.

Month by month the moon was free to move, but still a balance Beluno must soothe. Sunny days continued on by, while moonless nights left a starry sky.

🌒

 

ava_84721_1653459338.jpg

Author's Account:

Anon2021

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading my entry into the BL Anthology. I remain a reader on SH currently but I publish only on Ritoria. Same user name if you're interested in a long fantasy smut story, although it isn't BL.

16