Chapter 27: Changes for the Leaf Party
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 27: Changes for the Leaf Party

The three were in new clothes. Far fancier than they usually wore. Sitting next to Filarion, who was sitting next to Johnny. All dolled up like that, the three siblings felt like ornaments.

Then again, they were in a bank. Bankers, their mother had always said, could smell it if you didn't have money, even if you kept yourself clean and your clothes whole.

Filarion was like a shark, tearing up the banker who was serving them right now with such verbosity, that the three were impressed. The elf had gotten the interest rate for their money up from three percent, to five percent so far. Plus, he had gotten them the right to take out from their money whenever they wanted.

So far as Zaine understood it, they were also getting adopted. But that would end up getting finalized later, at the village hall. He didn't know how to feel about getting a last name. His mother and father had never married, so the three of them didn't have a family name. Then again, weddings were a luxury for the rich. Not for farmers.

Zaine wondered if Filarion was going to talk Morrel into marrying him. If the three of them had to call Morrel dad. If Zaine was bitter about one thing, it was the fact that Morrel was getting back into Filarion's good graces far too quickly.

"And, I suppose that is all you can offer?" To Zaine, Filarion sounded disinterested, but there was no other bank in the village. Unless they went to the nearby town, or further up, to the capital, they didn't have much of a choice.

"Lord Elathana, your sons will have no better service anywhere. We, the Westermire Family Bank, pride ourselves in serving the Elathana family for many generations. It was one of your ancestors, who found us, and the many branches of our bank all around the Roarin Empire," the banker was sweating. It went without saying that the Elathana and their family business were his biggest clients.

"I suppose I can give you a chance," Filarion said dismissively. He offered his hand, and the banker shook it.

"Mister Morrel, do you want to ask something about your account, while we are all here?" The banker asked, but Johnny shook his head.

"I believe in your capabilities. My money is safe and growing with you," the banker gave Johnny a dazzling smile, and stood.

"Well, if this is all. Lord Elathana, Mister Morrel, Young Masters Elathana, I bid you goodbye," the banker bowed, and then his secretary ushered them out. Zaine was still blinking at the way he was addressed.

"Fil, are you really going to adopt us?" Nathaniel asked in a small voice. Their parents were dead now. From too much work, as it was often the case with farmers. To have a family again would be something else.

Filarion turned to the healer, and placed both of his hands on his shoulders.

"I won't try to replace your parents. They must have loved you because you three are good kids," Filarion spoke in a soft voice. "But the Elathana family name comes with connections to the emperor. I can't have children. I can't stomach the thought of sleeping with a woman, as things stand. Unless Johnny is keeping secrets from me, I will never have children otherwise."

Johnny snorted, and Filarion winked at him.

"Yes, but are you certain? I mean, don't you want to adopt a small child instead. Someone you can dote on?" Zaine asked. He knew that Filarion liked doting on them, but kept it under wraps. A small toddler or a baby would not feel the same indignation as they to be babied.

"You grew on me," Filarion told them, and then hugged Nathaniel close. "No tears, sonny. Only smiles."

Zaine realized that his brother was sniffling. Gregory joined the hug, and Zaine's legs brought him to the now hug pile. Morrel looked on uncertainly, but then joined in, after a couple of minutes.

"We are one weird family," Zaine murmured, as Filarion squeezed them all one last time, before letting go.

"We need to get to the mayor's office and sign the adoption papers today," Filarion told the three, and then took Johnny's hand. "I won't ask you to sign your name with mine, but..."

"You'd like that?" Johnny asked, and Filarion nodded. "I don't know how much the Morrel name will help them, but if it makes you happy, I will give it to them."

"Hey, we can't start things from the end to the beginning," Nathaniel spoke, and looked up at Johnny. "You have to put a ring on Fil's finger, if you want to give your name to his sons."

Johnny blinked at him then.

"You actually approve of me?" The tank asked, and Nathaniel snorted.

"No. I still think you should be sleeping in the dog house. Still, you are grandpa's great love. So, you have to step up your game," Nathaniel huffed, and turned into the direction of the temple.

"A wedding at arrow point?" Filarion asked, as both Gregory and Zaine took a hold of his hands, and began to march him towards the temple.

"Prisi and Fen won't like it," Johnny spoke, thinking it would be enough to get the kids to stop walking.

"Well, they are right to dislike it. Still, we won't allow you to ask for custody, somewhere along the road," Zaine snarled, and then his feet stopped before the garden before the temple. "We are in the fanciest clothes we have ever been in. You are both in matching suits. We have everything we need for a wedding."

"I still would have liked it if my siblings were here," Filarion protested, but Gregory just snorted.

"They don't approve, not that I blame them. I don't approve either. But you need this, mom," the archer turned around, and gave the rogue a cheeky grin. Filarion reached out, and pinched him on the cheek.

"Well, I suppose, if Johnny is ok with this," Filarion turned to look at Johnny, who stared at him in wonder.

"So many years. There were times I thought this will never happen," Johnny murmured, and then took Filarion by the hand. "I will keep my last name, but add yours to it, if you'd allow for it."

Filarion gave him a dazzling smile, and they entered the temple together. Escorted by three excited teens.

1