Chapter 12 – Missing Balls
1.8k 10 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Pain, unbearable pain, and more pain. Agony blazed through his arms as they were snapped in half like twigs. 

 

Even through that torment, notifications kept popping into his mind. Which somehow made the aching even worse.

[You have gained 1500 Exp]

 

[Level Up]

 

[You have gained 10,000 Exp]

 

[Level Up]

 

[Level up]

 

[You have gained 15,000 Exp]

 

[Level Up]

 

[Level up]

 

[Your Swordsmanship Skill level increased by 1]

 

[Agility increased by 1]

 

.

.

.

.

 

Endless messages went through Yamcha's eyes and notifications about how some of the rewards were stored in his inventory. 

But through all that agony, he knew he had a more important situation right now, Goku was bleeding. He hadn't been careful when and where he was attacking the Oozaru. So there were likely some heavy injuries, and the future hero would die if he didn't do something. 

The future where Goku had Ultra Instinct or went Super Saiyan didn't matter. If he died here, none of that would happen. 

It was hard to concentrate due to the discomfort. Even twitching his muscles hurt like hell. "Damn, those Shonen protagonists make it look easy. Shouldn't my body be in shock where I wouldn't be able to feel the pain?"

Yamcha wished he had that power of friendship where nothing hurts. He stared at his friend like a wolf, he wanted to go and help him, but he didn't have the… appendages needed.

He stared at his broken arms, and veins popped in Yamcha's forehead. Annoyance and anger welled inside of him. He wasn't angry at anyone else, just himself. 

Moving his arms around a little, he saw that his left arm was broken in multiple places, elbow, wrist, shoulder, and fingers. In contrast, his right arm was only broken in the area between his wrist and elbow. 

'How fast is my healing? Well, no time like the present to test if the Gamer Interface can heal a broken arm.' Yamcha wondered, looking at his arm snapped in only one place. 

He couldn't put his bones in place the usual way, so he sat down and, using his knees, adjusted his right arm. The bone poking at his muscles was like a hot needle piercing through his flesh. But Yamcha grit his teeth and did what needed to be done. "If I could cut Goku like that without hesitation. Then I need to be at least able to do this much to myself!"

 

The bone creaked. 

 

“Dumn, fuck, shirt!” kept swearing while putting the bone back and then holding it in place. His healing was about 1% of his HP per minute. So 0.5 HP points per minute. 

Keeping his arm in place for about five minutes, Yamcha twitched his fingers and smiled. The pain was still there, but it had dulled down a little. "Shouldn't put too much strain on this."

 

Yamcha kept giving himself loud explanations, feeling like his mind wasn't in the best place to memorize these things. A bead of sweat rolled down his face and smiled tiredly. 

 

His other arm was too messed up to fix by just aligning the bones. 

 

He got up shakingly and bandaged Goku up as the scars inflicted on him from the sword attacks were still there. The pool of blood around his friend made Yamcha feel a little guilty because he had been brutal during the fight and took any chance the Oozaru had given him. He couldn’t afford to be merciful during the fight.

"Bandaging people with one arm is quite hard," Yamcha complained while looking at the RV van in the distance. They still hadn't approached; Carrot was likely too scared to do so. "Well, if I didn't know the situation, I would probably be scared too."

 

Unlike him, the humanoid rabbit didn’t know if Goku could turn again into a giant monkey. 

After tying up the wounds, Yamcha laid down next to Goku and breathed out tiredly. The soft green grass caressed his skin as he felt his eyelids were heavy like mountains. 

 

He wanted to sleep badly; the Ki in his body had been depleted from the Kamehameha he had used on Goku. That initial attack was what had injured Goku enough for someone like Yamcha to be able to defeat him. 

 

“Damn, this is tiring as hell,” Yamcha sighed as he looked through his inventory and looked at the new Legendary Items he had gotten from the Quests. 

[Escape Rope (Legendary)]

[A rope that is rumored to grasp at the heavens. The user can control it with just a thought, and it can extend to the heavens themselves, at least that’s what the rumors say since no past user of it knows how long it can extend.] 

A great utility tool, kind of like Goku’s staff. Yamcha thought that such an item would be quite useful until he learned how to fly or something like that. But for now, this would help massively, and if he had had this during his fight against Oozary Goku, he would have just needed to trip Goku using the rope and cut off his tail.

 

[Monkey King’s Banana (Legendary)]

[Only the Monkey King could grow this banana using his strange magic. Legend says that the bananas were a source of his strength. It unleashes the human body's hidden potential and unlocks our ancestors' strength after it is eaten.]

The name was suspicious, and it sounded like it was insinuating something. Its description was vague, but it seemed like it would increase someone’s physical stats, probably. 

 

[Monkey King’s Crown (Legendary)]

[A crown of the Monkey King, and the same device that also sealed it until it died of old age. It is an item of almost divine-like qualities, and it was built with the best and most rare magical materials on earth.

+10% Strength Stat Growth

+10% Agility Stat Growth

+10% Endurance Stat Growth]

Yamcha stared at the description, and he couldn’t believe his eyes. The crown was the best item he had gotten from this ordeal. All physical stats would grow 10% faster?! 

 

That might not sound good to most since the crown didn’t help in a fight or even increase stats. But this item was what Yamcha considered the best he could get. 

 

If you looked at the surface, the item didn't sound that good. One day of training would have the results of two hours extra. It wasn't that big of a difference in those short quarters. But if you looked at a larger timeline, one year would be one year and almost two months. Ten years would be eleven, and a hundred years would be a hundred and ten. After a while, the growth gap becomes so wide that there's no chance of closing it anymore, especially if he could somehow get more items like this. 

 

Yamcha smiled a little; today, he had learned something very important. If there were more items like this out there, he would be able to get a faster growth rate.  

The Monkey King's crown looked like a golden headband. Yamcha tried getting up, but his body felt drained out of energy. "Ah, I am tired as hell. Though I have enough stamina to run a marathon, without Ki, it feels like my body has no life."

Carrot approached Yamcha, and the downed man smiled. "What? Wanna try taking me out? This is the best chance you will ever have."

By this point, Yamcha was in so much pain that he needed a little distracting entertainment in his life to get his mind away from everything.

***

Carrot stared at Yamcha as he lay on the ground, one arm broken and breathing heavily. This looked like the perfect chance to go on the attack. 

 

Or it would have been the perfect chance if it wasn't for the look on Yamcha's eyes. He seemed almost amused, and Carrot had noticed the small tug on his lips upward as soon as Yamcha had noticed him. 

'Yeah, I am not stupid to fall for that. Crazy guy; he seems to enjoy his schemes. He is a psychopath who likes keeping his enemies around just to test himself. Also, what the fuck! He has thought way too much about torturing people and how he would get the equipment to do it!'

Having observed Yamcha for so long, that was the only conclusion Carrot could come to as to why someone like him would spare him with his dangerous ability. Though he hadn't seen Yamcha kill someone before him, Carrot did not doubt that he could do it without blinking. There was that strange aura around him, like a wild beast. 

"What're you looking at? Take your shot, and I am sure that if you try hard enough, one touch will be able to turn me into a carrot. Then the battle would be pretty much won by you." Yamcha explained with a smile on his face. His eyes shone as if they belonged to a kid playing with a new toy. “Even if you don’t believe in yourself, c’mon, I believe in you, and that’s all you need.”

 

Why did he sound like a supportive parent? Carrot never got as much support from his real parents in comparison. 

"N -No, sir, I am just wondering if you need a blanket." Carrot wasn't going to play these games. 

 

Yamcha was bored, more specifically, a bored psychopath. Getting away from him was impossible. Okay, maybe not impossible, but the chances of death were astronomical. 

Also, Yamcha encouraging him to escape didn’t help at all. He was looking for a reason to torture someone. 

 

Carrot wondered where he had gone wrong in life to cross paths with a lunatic like this. Sometimes it feels like Yamcha wanted to be turned into a carrot. 

What the hell was going on through the young man's head? Carrot had no idea. He was the strangest person he had ever met. His actions made no sense sometimes; Yamcha even did things as if he already knew the result and the future. That kind of confidence was scary in its own way. 

"Meh, I am okay," Yamcha shrugged nonchalantly. "I enjoy the cold. It's good for the body. Maybe I can build cold resistance?"

 

The way his eyes shone, Carrot knew there was some inside joke Yamcha wasn't sharing. 

 

If fighting Yamcha wasn't feasible, he just had to move in the opposite direction. He had to use his strongest weapon. Carrot smirked. 

He went to the RV van, took some blankets and soft drinks, and cooked some ramen. His ex-subordinates helped him with everything. But only Carrot alone carries everything and goes to Yamcha, putting a blanket over Goku. Bringing over some lemonade to Yamcha and food.

"Here is everything, sir. I thought this would help you feel better." Said Carrot with a perfectly practiced smile.

Yes, the secret art of the kiss-ass. No matter how heartless a person is, they will develop positive feelings for you if you do something nice for them for seemingly no reason. 

He needed any positive feelings he could get. Carrot hadn't been able to relax all day, as it felt like Yamcha was staring at him like prey. 

'But after this! We will become friends, and I guarantee he won't hurt me. With this monster on my side, things can go much smoother.' Carrot chuckled at the thought of having a monster like Yamcha on his side. 

"I can see your evil smile, dumbass," Yamcha took the ramen and lemonade from Carrot, who stood there shocked. "You really are a failure of a villain."

Those words, for some reason, felt like arrows stabbing into his heart. It wasn't the words themselves that did the most damage, but the honesty Yamcha spoke was brutal. 

 

The rest of the night was spent with Carrot trying to keep Yamcha comfortable. 

 

He wasn't too worried about the boy that could turn into a monster, but the person who seemed to brutalize and defeat a monster like that easily.

 

After Yamcha rested, he took out the weird radar that detected something they were after. 

 

'Wasn't he injured just before?! Except for his left arm, he looks normal!' Carrot stood by the sidelines and kept his mouth shut. 

 

Rummaging through the rubble, Yamcha could find the ball, and Carrot immediately went to help him look. However, he and his goons couldn't move large boulders by themselves.

 

Bulma woke up too and looked at the destruction the battle between Yamcha and Goku had caused. She pulled out her earplugs and shrugged. "Welp, seems like we just need to search for the dragon ball."

Carrot explained to her what had happened, but she clearly didn't seem to believe him and just went running after Yamcha.

He had quite a clear understanding of Bulma; she was just a bimbo in love. That's all there was to her. Though Carrot did admire her intelligence, she was smart. Not very wise, though. Even a blind man could see Yamcha wasn't interested in her, though, for some reason, that seemed to make her chase after him even more. Seeking the validation his words give.

He saw that Yamcha had gathered all six balls. Looking around, he wasn't able to find the 7th ball.

 

Bulma frowned. "Weird… even the radar doesn't seem to detect it. That only happens if the dragon ball is inside something, meaning it was eaten."

 

The green-haired girl looked worried at the thought. "No… if that happens, we won't be able to make a wish."

Carrot couldn't help but remember that Yamcha had the dragon radar before the scientist girl woke up. So whatever they were looking for, some scheme was taking afoot here. 

"Maybe the owners of this castle took the dragon balls," Yamaha suggested nonchalantly. As if this didn't worry him at all. "Let's look through the rubble. Maybe we can find their corpses, or if not, they escaped. Maybe we could find a photo or some kind of clue to who they are."

Carrot frowned. There was something weird here. Even when Goku was rampaging, the dragon ball things were still on the radar and right next to each other. 

Also, Yamcha was the one who likely found it. Yet the other dragon ball went missing somehow. Carrot was very suspicious but decided not to say anything. Maybe the people living in the castle had taken the dragon ball sneakily without noticing?

"I think we found who the guys who lived in this castle were," added Yamcha suddenly, as he pulled out a cracked photo. 

 

The picture was of a weird blue-skinned short man, a humanoid god wearing a ninja costume, and a normal dark-haired girl. 

 

Behind the picture, there were some names written, and Yamcha read them out loud. "Mai, Shu, and Emperor Pilaf. Hmm… they look like a ridiculous but very annoying threesome."

A strange smile came on Yamcha's face, one that Carrot didn't like. A chill went down his spine. 

At that moment, the sun rose again, and light descended onto them while the full moon hid on the horizon. 

Yamcha was planning something, and Carrot didn't want to know. So he acted like a fool, making himself seem as non-threatening as possible.

 

Just then, the kid who had been the giant monster monkey, his hand twitched, and he opened his eyes. Yamcha's scheming eyes traveled over immediately, and Carrot felt like he was between a rock and a hard place. 

******

A/N: Carrot and Yamcha have two different looks at a scenario. Also, Carrot doesn't know who Goku is yet, so to him, Yamcha just helped a monster who turned into a young kid. He doesn't know anything about Goku or who he will be in the future. Also he doesn't know anything about Yamcha’s Gamer Interface, so he just sees Yamcha healing crazily fast. 

 

P.S: I know some people might not like Yamcha. But we’re seeing things from his side and don’t expect him to be perfect 24/7. We’re all flawed people, and he is no different. Also, I saw some comments about Yamcha’s intelligence, and I don’t like it when authors keep constantly stating their character is smart. The reader decides if Yamcha is smart or not. Constantly saying someone is smart doesn't make them smart in my opinion, their actions do. I don't think we have seen enouigh of Yamcha to determine if he is smart, normal, or just dumb.

 

P.P.S: For anyone curious why Yamcha didn't enter shock after his arms broke. It's because Gamer's Body will always keep him able to think through fear, despair, pain, etc. 

 

Name: Yamcha

Age: 16

Title: Bandit

Level 6 -> 11[EXP: 94%]

 

HP: 50/50

MP: (locked)

Ki: 24/24

 

Strength: 10 

Agility: 11 -> 12

Endurance: 10

(Power Level: 10 -> 11)

 

Intelligence: 5

Perception: 7

Willpower: 7

(Magic Power: 6)

 

Status Points: 50

 

Description: Twice as strong as the normal human. In general, a weakling. 

 

Kamehameha - Lvl 1/50 

Wolf Fang Fist - Lvl 4/30

Ki Control - Lvl 3/100

Ki Enhancement - Lvl 2/100

Observe - Lvl 4/100

Swordsmanship - Lvl 1 -> 2/75

 

72