Chapter 51 – Getting a Job in Space
898 12 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Now I have a Pat reon, with some chapters in advance and more coming. 

patreon.com/bucketofshirts)

 

Yamcha remembered Jaco from the original story. He also knew there was a Manga based on his called something like Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. The thing is, he never read it. If he could travel in time, Yamcha would have wiped the floor with his past self and made him read every DBZ anime and manga out there. 

 

"Hi, I'm Bulma," she answered and added uncertainly. "From Earth."

 

"Oh! Bulma!" Jaco's voice rang from the other side, and there was a trace of recognition. "I remember you. Tights' sister, right? Last time I saw you, you were four."

 

Yamcha was surprised by that, just as much as Bulma. He never thought an alien before Goku would have known her. Yamcha glanced at his girl; her eyes were wide like headlights with confusion. 

 

"I’m looking for a space hub,” she winked at Yamcha.

 

He smiled. Bulma never mentioned him, and while it might seem like an innocent mistake to most. He knew Bulma better than most, and she wouldn’t say something like that as a mistake. She was still cautious of Jaco. 

 

He stays quiet and doesn't say a sound, even backing away from the glass in the spaceship, so Jaco can’t see him. 

 

“I know just the place!” Jaco dove his ship in front of them. “Follow me!”

 

Bulma glanced at Yamcha, and he nodded. Her mic was still on, so there was no need for communication by sound between them. Looking at each other’s eyes, they could tell each other’s mood. Well, Bulma had that ability, as Yamcha used Observe to see what mood she was in.

 

“By the way, remember when you were young? You were actually the one who helped fix my spaceship when I crash-landed on earth. At the time, I was in a little bit of a rush due to an attack pod shooting toward the planet. I was worried it might be a Saiyan…” Jaco explained the backstory of what happened over a decade and a half ago. 

 

Yamcha kept his ears open and made mental notes of each piece of info. Because this wasn’t something he had known about. 

 

It doesn't take even half an hour for them to reach an asteroid with skyscrapers built on it. It was the most amazing thing Yamcha had seen before.

 

The whole place had a sci-fi and cyberpunk theme, with flying skateboards and boats with sails and jet engines on their back. 

 

People below were stacked in numbers, walking about and busy with their everyday lives. It was amazing how hard it was to find human-looking people. Everyone looked different; some had horns, and others had red skin. 

 

Following Jaco, they ended up in a parking lot. Or at least that’s what it looked like. Jaco walked out of his ship, striking a pose a K-Pop idol would. But when instead of Bulma, Yamcha was there to greet him, the space policeman took out his pistol. “Who are you? Where is Bulma?”

 

Yamcha pointed behind with his thumb, and Bulma came out, looking around. 

 

“Don’t worry, he’s with me and has saved my life multiple times already,” Bulma walked amongst the other spaceships parked nearby, looking at them with such intensity Yamcha thought she might steal one or two of them. 

 

‘If she asked to steal alien cars, would I help her?’ The answer came to Yamcha so fast that it was morally questionable. “Is there any place where I can register as a bounty hunter or mercenary around here?”

 

Jaco looked at Yamcha. His gaze wandered back at Bulma as if questioning her decision to keep company with such a man. “Well, yes. But have you thought about joining the Galactic Patrol? We have the best health insurance, and you get a laser gun-”

 

“No thanks,” Yamcha would rather kill himself than spend another life wasting away at some company. He didn’t doubt that the Galactic Patrol had a valid cause. But he knew that even charities weren’t what they seemed. When getting down to the gritty details, the gross dark underbelly of any organization will show its ugly head. “I work better alone. You could say I work for Bulma.”

Also, Yamcha didn’t want to give himself another reason to become corrupt. In his last life was always obsessed with getting a higher position in this or that job, willing to do almost anything for it. But here, he didn’t want the stress. 

 

In the end, Jaco looked pitiful but quickly returned to his cheery mood. “How about we have a meal then? I want to tell Bulma here for all the misadventures I, Tights, and the old man had. You won’t believe some of the things. There was this whole organization on earth after us…”

 

For this one, Yamcha zoned out most of the story and tried to sense everyone’s power in this space rock. As far as he knew, unless aliens had some transformations or power-up methods, he would usually be at the top of the food chain with his power level. He noticed a couple of guys that were quite strong. 

 

Bulma looked at the Cthulhu-looking thing on her plate. "What the hell is that?"

 

"Combro Massa, it's a delicacy around these parts," Jaco munched down on his food without a care. 

 

Yamcha was grossed out a bit too. But unlike Bulma, he didn't show it and instead touched the creature with a fork. 

 

The thing squirmed and squirted black ink from its mouth. 'Yeah, there's no fucking way I'm eating that.'

 

Though he was an adventurous soul who liked trying new things, there was also a line he wouldn't cross. 

 

For the rest of his stay, Jaco showed them around and taught the local customs and a little common sense about the galaxy. 

 

"Also, no matter what you do, don't get involved with the Frieza Force!" Jaco waved at them from his flying saucer spaceship. "If you want to join the Galactic Patrol, our doors are always open."

 

Yamcha stared off into the distance, amazed by the ship's speed. His thoughts didn't wander for long as he had things to do. 

 

Finding the Bounty Office was easy, and the inside was like an old wild west pub. Except there were no cowboys except weird alien creatures, some with eight arms, some looked like bugs, and others like normal humans. 

 

"Can I inquire about becoming a Bounty Hunter?" Yamcha approached the bartender. He had a normal human body and the head of an octopus? Squid? Something like that.

The bartender looked him up and down and took a red scouter, touching the button to the side. 

 

There were some beeping sounds for a couple of seconds before the bartender's eyes widened. "E -Eight thousand!!"

 

Yamcha leaned closer and whispered. "Can you not say that out loud?"

 

"Sorry, sir. You can take the registration right away. I will just bring your card, sir.” The bartender bowed down to his waist. “Do you need anything else, sir?"

 

"To stop calling me sir."

 

"Yes, si-. I mean…" the bartender looked like a deer caught in headlights. "I don't know your name, sir."

 

"Yamcha, you can write that on my plate too." Yamcha glanced at Bulma and noticed her looking around. She was nervous, and he didn't blame her. 

 

While she might look okay on the outside, having felt the aftershocks and seen the aftermath of battles between Yamcha and opponents like Cui or Turles. 

 

'We need to get her some parts to build the gravity machine. Certain generators were rare even on earth, but they shouldn't be in space.' Yamcha reasoned as his Bounty Hunter card was brought to him. It had a golden sheen and worked like a touchscreen phone. 

 

Scrolling down, there were many Mercenary works and Bounties placed on many people. He recognized several faces, like Vegeta, Turles, Cui, Zarbon, etc. 

 

Bounty Hunting was the line of work he chose to raise his player level, get money to build another gravity machine, and kill some tyrants. "By the way, what's with the western theme of this place? When everything else is so advanced?"

 

The bartender sweat nervously. "The boss likes it."

 

"He sounds like a cool dude," Yamcha felt like the guy was a kindred spirit. The bartender nodded. 

 

Walking out, Yamcha checked out for any missions that sounded good. He found what he was looking for almost immediately. "Damn, this has offers where one could fight against Frieza's soldiers. That takes some guts?"

 

Frieza Force soldiers were the best in Yamcha's eyes. Due to killing whole civilizations, they had high levels themselves. So they were perfectly ripe for killing. 

********

A/N: Patreon is open now. With some chapters in advance, and will post more chapters in advance there. 

 

P.S: Another chapter is coming here today. 

53