37-40 The End Of An Era
623 12 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This is it, the final chapter. I took a fan's advice and did a summary for the chapter(s) I lost. Here's the result.

The original Chapter 37 contained the trip of Alex and Vista being taken from the courthouse to the improvised landing strip in Empire territory that Dragon had used previously. They were escorted by a squad of PRT troopers and were attacked by the Empire's remaining capes almost as soon as they stopped, because someone had tipped them off.

During the assault, both Vista and Alex made sure to remain inside the armored vehicle while also helping the troopers soundly defeat the villain capes by giving the troopers golden opportunities to take advantage of the villains and their weaknesses.

The final villain to show up was Purity and Alex stopped the troopers from firing at her. Before they could be angry at him for that, he told Purity that Max Anders was dead and she could freely leave Brockton Bay without repercussions. She didn't believe him a first, then she used her cell phone to check the news broadcasts and saw that Medhall had been torn apart and the other capes were dead.

After a pretty sound kiss was given to Alex for freeing her, Purity flew away without fighting anyone and Dragon landed her rocket plane to pick up the prisoners.

Chapter 38 was about Dragon delivering Alex and Vista to the Birdcage in the Rocky Mountains and them handing over their personal belongings for her to keep safe, along with their costumes. Prison garb was given to them and they entered the one way elevator to descend down into the suspended prison.

A few short interactions with Dragon happened with her explaining the prison's rules that were pretty much survival of the fittest, and they were deposited at the bottom of the shaft in the welcome area, or what the long term prisoners called 'Fresh Meat Central'.

After a quick attack by the independent capes that had no faction, where Alex had no choice about absorbing their powers, the pair made their way into the prison proper. Surprisingly, the leaders of the different factions were in a meeting and Alex and Vista walked in to deliver their ultimatum. Leave them alone or they would regret it.

Chapter 39 was an all out battle between a very overpowered Alex and the leaders of the factions, so they could put him in his place and keep themselves in power. He kept trying to explain that he wasn't trying to usurp them and just wanted to live with his love, and they wouldn't listen.

The first death was Allfather and his entire cape group, because the old man had overreacted about his Nazi organization, the Empire Eighty-Eight, being completely dismantled in a single day. His supposed death had been faked to give his son Kaiser the legitimate rule of the E88. The problem was, his power was physically generating metal out of nothing and Alex gained it at its full power.

Because Alex wasn't Manton-limited in his power use, he could create any metal, which meant he now had an unlimited and free source of any metal known to exist. His first test creation was a shock to everyone in the prison. A chunk of solid gold the size of his head. The fight changed from beating him down to beating Vista up enough to capture her and make Alex join them.

Alex didn't take kindly to that at all.

It was a slaughter. Alex had been holding back pretty much all of his abilities and limiting himself to what people had expected out of him, except for Vista. He empowered her as well and the two of them tore through the entire prison to remove all of the hardened criminals and copied all of the physical powers he could.

When they were done, there were barely twenty people left in the entire facility, including them. They were covered from head to foot in blood and gore and several of them threw up at the smell and seeing the carnage. Before anyone could clean anything up, a rip opened in space-time and Scion, the first golden hero, floated out of it and glared at Alex.

Alex stood in front of the glowing man and glared back. No words were spoken by anyone, either because of the intimidation factor or because of the overwhelming feeling of power that emanated from Scion. There was a tense moment where time itself seemed to stand still, then a flash of movement and matching fists clashed, punch for punch.

Vista pushed herself and the remaining prisoners away from the fight, because she knew there was no way for her to help Alex. This was his fight alone and she supported him in the only way she could... by getting out of the way and letting him fight at his best.

Alex did exactly that and moved, matching Scion's punches to negate the blows, blocked the kicks that could level mountains, and did his best to try and touch the golden man in the same place twice to knock him out. He couldn't. Scion was just as fast as him, which meant he didn't have a Manton limit, either.

Scion, for the first time in decades, felt frustrated. Here was this mortal, with barely a tenth of his number of powers, and he was keeping up with him! His thousands of powers were being easily countered by mere hundreds and he couldn't overcome them. He thought of traversing through a dimensional rift again to attack his foe blindly and opened a rift behind himself.

Before Scion could do more than start to turn around, a fifty punches hit him in his kidneys on both sides, thirty powerful kicks hit him between the legs, and a hundred and twenty-five eye gouges tore at his face. He ignored the pain as he instantly healed and dove through the rift, only for him to feel a weight on his back.

“You know, it's almost a shame that I figured out how to beat you.” Alex said as his fingers dug into the sides of Scion's neck muscles to hold on.

Scion didn't respond and generated another rift to pass through an airless space to try and knock his opponent out. He didn't have to breathe himself, so it was a valid strategy. He glanced over his shoulder and saw the smug smile on the young man's face. They passed through another rift to a dead world that had air and nothing else.

“You're wondering how I can survive in the vacuum of space?” Alex asked and Scion nodded. “I gave myself hyper-oxygenated blood and hundreds of micro-lungs that can hold enough air for me to live for about a year without taking a breath. I'll never be caught without air again.”

Scion thought it was a valid strategy and started to make the changes to himself.

“Thank you for making this a lot easier.” Alex said and concentrated.

Scion's eyes widened as his new respiratory system was filled with gaseous, poisonous, and radioactive metals. He hadn't noticed the change inside of himself before that and realized his entire being was flooded with the same materials. His current avatar body was dying, so he popped it like a balloon to reconstitute it and remove the contamination. When Scion reformed, his still wide eyes saw a golden figure where Alex used to be.

“Huh, this feels weird.” Alex said and flexed his fingers and made fists with his hands. “It's no wonder you're so disconnected from humanity if this is how you feel all the time.”

Scion's eyes couldn't get any wider as the gold skin faded away and was returned to a normal skin tone and texture. He thought this made his opponent more vulnerable and flew in to attack, only for his fist to go through a tiny rift and he punched himself in the face with his full strength.

What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object? They both stop dead from the shock.

“Popping yourself like that meant I won that fight.” Alex informed him. “All your physical powers are mine now.”

Scion stared at his fist that was still sticking out of the tiny rift.

“What's that? Are you too surprised to speak?” Alex asked and smiled. “Let me fix that for you.”

A giant rift opened behind him and Alex lit up like a star before he shot a ten foot wide energy beam backwards into the rift.

“NOOOOOO!” Scion yelled as the beam tore into his physical body that was stored in a pocket dimension that only he knew the location of. The energy was at the very specific wavelength that would do the most damage to his alien flesh and his avatar flickered.

“It's neat how this rift power lets me see and feel where all rifts had been formed.” Alex said as the beam slid sideways and cut deep into the entity. “I think it's time you joined your mate.”

Scion could do nothing against a physical copy of himself and his avatar flickered several times before it popped and disappeared, for good this time.

Alex stopped the beam and turned around to look into the rift, saw the cored out husk of the entity, and nodded. It would stay there for as long as that dimension existed and he closed the rifts he had opened. One more created one brought him back to the prison.

“Alex!” Vista exclaimed and jumped at him to kiss him senseless, only to stop because of their blood-covered faces.

“Just a second.” Alex said and several rifts opened around them and water sloshed over them before disappearing.

“That's a neat trick.” Vista said. “Can you do that for towels, too?”

Alex chuckled and reached into a rift and took out several large fluffy beach towels.

“Thanks.” Vista said and the pair of them dried themselves off. “Now I can kiss you properly.”

Alex smiled and leaned down to lock lips with her, then he shared many of his powers with her, including the rifts. Vista moaned as she grew in height and felt herself be filled with powers beyond anything she could ever imagine. Her arms wrapped around the man she loved and she swore that she would hold onto him for the rest of her life.

“Alex, you can't leave.” Dragon's voice said in his ear and interrupted the kiss.

“I'm sorry, Dragon. I have to.” Alex said as he opened another rift and he led Vista through it. “I have a Chief Director to visit and I also want to find out who my parents were.”

Dragon sighed as the rift closed, because she had to inform the PRT that a prisoner had escaped the inescapable prison.

*

Rebecca Costa-Brown couldn't believe what Dragon had just told her. Scion himself had shown up to fight Myriad and they disappeared through a dimensional portal that Dragon's monitoring tech couldn't penetrate. She didn't know what happened or how, only that Myriad had eventually returned through a similar portal and then left with Vista.

The first thing Rebecca did was set the entire building on alert, because Myriad could show up at any time. He was a convicted criminal and he would be treated as such, no matter her own personal feelings on the matter.

Automatic weapons fire rang out through the building and Rebecca tensed. She couldn't reveal herself as Alexandria in order to fight, even if Myriad had come to her to do just that. More handguns were fired, lots of sounds of scuffling, and then there was utter silence.

The office door opened and Rebecca could do nothing but stare at a newly costumed Myriad and a very mature and sexy Vista wearing a similar costume. The pair fit together perfectly and she felt jealous that it wasn't her on his arm.

“I'm sorry for not making an appointment first, Chief Director. I didn't feel like letting your secretary give me the runaround long enough for you to call in Alexandria or another Protectorate cape.”

Rebecca blinked her eyes at him for giving her an excuse to not fight and reveal her powers. “Then why are you here?”

“I want my redacted file.” Myriad said.

“You could get that from any...”

“I want the real file.” Myriad interrupted. “The censored version doesn't tell me anything.”

Rebecca closed her mouth and didn't say anything.

“What floor are we on, Vista?” Myriad asked.

“The twenty-second. There are three floors above us and the alert cleared them out.” Vista responded.

“Please, be my guest.” Myriad said and stepped to the side.

Vista gave him a huge smile and started to glow. Rebecca's eyes widened at seeing a copy of Legend's power come from the young woman and then she covered her eyes to block out the glare.

*WHABOOOOM!*

Rebecca felt the debris falling around her and she didn't move until the sounds stopped. She uncovered her eyes and blinked them several times, because everything from the top of her head and up was gone. Everything. Three and a half floors of the building had been completely obliterated in seconds by someone that shouldn't have had the ability to do it.

Without a word, Rebecca opened her laptop and typed in several things, hit a button on her desk, and walked over to a filing cabinet. She had debated destroying the files instead of handing them over, except she knew that Alex would let Vista interrogate her. By the look of devotion on her face, Vista would not take it easy on her to get the information he wanted.

Rebecca easily found the right file and walked back over to her desk to hand it to Alex. She sat down and waited for him to read it all, fully knowing he was not going to be happy about what it contained.

*

I read the file and stared at what it said. It couldn't be real. It couldn't. I felt Vista take the file from my limp hands and she read it as well. I didn't react as the words percolated in my brain and I still couldn't believe it. How could it have happened? What circumstances conspired to bring us together? How? Why?

“Did she know?” I asked when I finally found my voice.

“Know what?” Rebecca asked.

“Who I was.” I responded.

“No.” Rebecca denied.

“Then why?” I asked, even though I knew the answer.

“She was a real hero, even if she secretly bought her powers.” Rebecca said.

“From Cauldron.” I said and she nodded. “Just like my parents did.”

“Yes.” Rebecca said and looked into my eyes. “Your older sister had no idea that she was saving her amnesiac brother from being experimented on by her villain parents.”

I rubbed a hand over my face. “She didn't know they were villains or had another child.”

“No, she didn't.” Rebecca said, softly.

“After I recovered, you didn't tell me about it, because...” I prompted.

“Would the public have accepted you? The son of two villains who only lived because his recently created hero sister sacrificed herself to save him?” Rebecca asked me. “It was better for everyone to stick with the hero part and hide the villain part.”

I knew she was right. If I had known this back then, I... no, I would have... My thoughts stopped and I sighed. “You knew my choices would have been different if I knew.”

“Of course they would be. You would have fought against everything to stay where your family was, where they died, just so you could be close to their memory.” Rebecca told me. “That your sister didn't know who you were wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever.”

I nodded. I was pretty naive back then and hadn't even started unlocking powers. “What did you do with her body?”

Rebecca sighed. “That I don't know.”

“Excuse me?” I asked with a frown. She had better not tell me they lost her body!

“According to the records, only her partner was delivered to the morgue for processing.”

I stiffened at Rebecca's words and turned my head to look at Vista. She gave me a slight nod and tossed my file onto Rebecca's desk. I stepped close to her and she turned to hug me.

“I think this is goodbye.” Vista whispered.

“It is.” I whispered back. “We just have to stop at Amy's and then Taylor's before we leave.”

Vista smiled warmly and kissed me. She looked at Rebecca and the smile disappeared. “Goodbye, Chief Director. Don't bother trying to find us, because you won't.”

Rebecca didn't try to convince us otherwise.

“Hold on tightly, my love.” I said and Vista cuddled into me and tucked her head into the crook of my neck. I opened a rift below us and we dropped down and out of sight.

*

Back in time on that particular day, the ambulance driver heard a small thump after picking up the remains of the female hero that had fought to save a young boy. He was sad about the loss and happy that several villains had also died that day. It would be one for the history books, he was sure.

When he arrived at the morgue to log in the delivery, the attendants there opened the rear doors to pull out the large stretcher, only to see that the stretcher was a bloody mess and all that remained of the female hero was her blood soaked domino mask. The ambulance driver carefully picked it up and stored it in an evidence bag to hand over to the PRT. Perhaps they could find out the woman's name and make sure her family received the mask as a memento.

*

Inside a newly built house made of metal, located on a pristine earth that hadn't seen the presence of mankind, a 22 year old woman sucked in a sharp breath as she woke up. She had been sure she took too much damage to live and she sat up as she patted herself all over to make sure she still had all her parts.

“It's nice to meet you again, Debora.” A young boy's voice said.

Debora startled and turned to look at the person that knew her real name, only to see the young boy she had just saved standing beside the wall of the room.

“It's okay to be confused. Panacea did a great job on you.” He said with a smile.

“Panacea? The miracle healer? Really?” Debora asked, shocked.

“Yes, really.” Another voice said.

Debora turned to her other side and saw a young girl as she walked around the bed and took the young boy's hand. “Who are you?”

“I'm David's girlfriend, Vista.”

“David's...” Debora shook her head. “Aren't you a little young to be dating?”

“We've been together ever since we met.” David said. “Even when we had to break up for a bit, we still loved each other.”

“Aww, that's cute.” Debora said and looked around the bare room. “Where are we?”

“We can explain that part later.” David said and walked over to the bed. “There's something important that I need to tell you before we say anything else.”

Debora felt trepidation as the boy's face became serious. “What... what is it?”

“Our father was known as the minor villain and major annoyance called Chain Man.” David said and then explained everything about their family and what happened.

29