Chapter 4
652 7 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the morning, Mo Shen opened his eyes at the usual time. Each night, he stood by the bedside like a guardian statue, overlooking the man behind the sheers.

It had been a long time since he last served a human. Xue Lan didn't have any intention to summon him, but his time of death and massacre luckily happened when he was watching around the mortal realm from boredom. Those cheesy angels would definitely call it fate.

Still, when he saw the human bathed in blood amidst the garden of fresh corpses, he knew that he was worthy.

Moreover, his master was really cute~

Mo Shen went to open the door and windows to let the sunlight in. He went out and returned with Xue Lan’s breakfast. Because of the previous event, Xue Lan started eating breakfast early.

He walked to the bed to tie the sheers aside.

A few seconds after the light fell onto his face, Xue Lan opened his eyes.

“Good morning, My Lord,” Mo Shen greeted with a smile. “Breakfast is ready.”

Xue Lan shifted to his side, still too lazy to get up. With a lift of his hand, Mo Shen promptly carried him up to his couch.

“Good grief, how will you exact your revenge being a sleepyhead like this?” Mo Shen sat down on the couch with Xue Lan on his lap.

“Why should I suffer for my revenge?” Xue Lan mumbled. “That’s a rather ridiculous way of thinking.”

“Yes, yes, I was wrong,” Mo Shen took the chopsticks and started feeding Xue Lan.“How can you even suffer with me by your side?”

Xue Lan chewed the food and his eyes opened a bit more, “Then, can you please stop putting chilli in my breakfast at least? You’re ruining my digestion.”

“It’ll be bland without it,” Mo Shen picked a fish dish with the chopsticks.

Xue Lan grabbed Mo Shen's hand and swept out the chilli seeds and skin from the fish, “It won’t.”

Mo Shen finally complied.

After breakfast, he bathed Xue Lan, dried him, and dressed him for the day. This time, he dressed Xue Lan in a dark blue and silver robe.

Honestly, Xue Lan felt like Mo Shen was having fun dressing him up however he wanted.

“What is our plan for the day, My Lord?” Mo Shen held Xue Lan from behind, caressing his neck while shamelessly sniffing his hair.

Xue Lan was used to it ever since Mo Shen changed his bathing product according to his own personal taste.

“Seduce the Emperor,” Xue Lan tapped his fan onto his palm.

“Then, your clothes should be…brighter, yes?”

Xue Lan blinked and his robes instantly changed into white and soft cream with the same design. Delicate patterns were sewn in silver, decorating every edge elegantly without being too luxurious.

The pair left the courtyard with Mo Shen bringing Xue Lan’s painting tools. They went to the imperial garden where most of the flowers were in full bloom. Mo Shen easily carried a table with one hand and a chair with the other.

Xue Lan sat down while Mo Shen set up the things on the table. He then silently started to paint. Mo Shen ground the ink by his side.

A group of patrol guards passed by, followed by eunuchs and maids from time to time. All of them couldn’t help but get distracted by the view.

The cold beauty sitting amidst the flowers blended mesmerizingly with the garden. One could mistake him for the garden’s guardian spirit.

His sweet fragrance faintly mixed with the spring breeze, inciting people’s desire to admire him closer. They could only envy his attendant but they would have to admit that they looked harmonious together.

“What are you grinning about?” Xue Lan layered the colour of the flowers to give them more life.

“Nothing really,” Mo Shen chuckled.

It always filled him with pride every time his master was the centre of attention. Not to mention, Xue Lan was dressed and styled by him.

A while later, Mo Shen put down the inkstone. He smiled at Xue Lan meaningfully, “Shall I prepare some tea?”

Xue Lan gave a nod.

Soon after, he heard footsteps coming toward the garden. Most of the footsteps stopped at the entrance of the garden with only one person approaching him. He kept his eyes on his work, seemingly unaware of the visitor.

A petal fluttered down onto Xue Lan’s hand. When he was about to pick it, another hand stretched out from behind him and did it for him first.

He turned around and looked up, meeting his gaze with Tian Chen.

Because of Tian Chen’s previous action, his body was slightly lowered and his nose almost touched with Xue Lan’s when the latter looked back. Even from up close, he couldn’t see any flaw on Xue Lan’s face.

He was about to inch closer when Xue Lan stood up to greet him. He inwardly regretted it and straightened his back.

“We heard Our subjects’ words of mouth that there is a fairy in the garden. Now, We understand the fairy’s real identity,” Tian Chen calmly spoke. “Should We punish you for creating such unrest and distracting Our subjects from their work, Honorable Consort Xue?”

Xue Lan felt his skin crawl. He spread his fan to hide his disgusted face as he promptly lowered his head, “This subject will accept punishment.”

Tian Chen thought that he was shy and chuckled, “Accompany Us on Our stroll.”

Xue Lan nodded and followed him to stroll the garden by his side.

“Have you gotten used to life in this country, Honorable Consort Xue?” Tian Chen asked.

“Yes, thanks to Your Majesty’s graciousness,” Xue Lan politely answered.

“We see that you change your garments according to Our preference,” Tian Chen looked at Xue Lan in approval. “We are satisfied by your choice.”

“…This subject is honoured by Your Majesty’s praise.”

They passed by the lotus pond where the lotus flowers were also blooming in different degrees. There was a decorative bridge connecting one end of the pond with another and the two of them stopped at the centre of the bridge.

“We have not rewarded you yet for your contribution to the thievery case. What do you wish to be rewarded with?”

“It is this subject’s own will to solve your distress. In the end, it benefitted me as well as I am cleared off the suspicion cast upon me,” Xue Lan humbly said. “Your Majesty’s willingness to doubt the accusation upon this subject is enough of a reward for me.”

“Your response upon your current situation is not as We have expected, Honorable Consort Xue,” Tian Chen held his hands on his back. “Do you not wish to return home?”

Xue Lan didn’t immediately answer. He gazed at his reflection on the pond, “Regardless of where this subject is, it does not really change much aspect of his life. The only difference is now that this subject has a duty to uphold as a representative of his country.”

Tian Chen stared at Xue Lan with an unknown thought. When the other looked back at him with a faint smile, his chest tightened. It was as if he was seeing a cold ice melting in front of him, revealing the flower frozen within it.

“Your Majesty is the first one who genuinely cared for this subject's opinion, compensated this subject for his grievance, and appreciated this subject for such a minor contribution. this subject could not ask for more,” Xue Lan bowed. “This subject is blessed to be by your side.”

He straightened back and looked back to the pond distantly.

Tian Chen reached out and returned Xue Lan’s focus to him. But when he leaned to kiss him, Xue Lan avoided his advance. Before he could say anything, the other took a step back.

“This subject is not as clean as he may look. Your Majesty, this subject does not deserve affection especially as precious as yours. This subject prays you to have a wonderful day,” Xue Lan deeply bowed and hurriedly left, clearly running away.

He staggered when he reached the ground and his attendant timely appeared to prevent him from falling.

“My Lord, please be careful with your legs,” Tian Chen heard him say.

“I’m fine,” Xue Lan refuted, but his hand had naturally grabbed his attendant’s arm for support.

Mo Shen glanced at Tian Chen fleetingly before helping Xue Lan out of the garden, “Please mind your steps. You walked too much today.”

“I’m not that weak. Don’t say unnecessary things,” Xue Lan rebuked him.

Tian Chen watched the pair leave with his eyebrows tightened.

Was there a problem with Xue Lan’s legs? And what did he mean by his previous words?

Once they were out of sight, Mo Shen smirked in amusement, “That was quite a performance. Shall I carry you, My Lord?”

Xue Lan shook his head, “As much as it sounds convenient, I would have to refuse.”

Mo Shen cleaned the petals off of Xue Lan’s head, “The next stage is ready.”

Xue Lan gave a nod, “We’ll just have to wait for the actors then.”

34